|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
2. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The placenta.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) The umbilical cord.
(d) A lock of hair.
3. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A famine.
(c) A civil war.
(d) A drought.
4. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
(a) A birth certificate.
(b) A birth permission paper.
(c) A marriage license.
(d) An adoption decree.
5. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
2. Who is Mei Li?
3. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
4. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
5. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karin mention about the Cantonese people?
2. How do Karin and Mark feel about the rest of their group?
3. What is China's "dark side"?
4. What is Harry Wu's objection to the Chinese adoption system?
5. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
6. What is the practical side of the Confucian family system that so heavily favors sons?
7. What is SOS Kinderdorf International?
8. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
9. What is the mission of Families with Children from China?
10. What does Karin fear about her daughter's future trip to China to search for her roots?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)