|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White dolphins.
(b) White goats.
(c) White whales.
(d) White cranes.
2. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
3. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
4. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
(a) "Bring a little brother."
(b) "Treasured one."
(c) "Extra mouth."
(d) "Not a boy."
5. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
(a) Between siblings.
(b) Between parent and child.
(c) Between grandparents and grandchildren.
(d) Between spouses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
2. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
3. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
4. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
5. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
2. What recent announcement about adoption has been made by President Clinton as Evans is writing her book?
3. What are some reasons that Americans have turned more to international adoptions?
4. What is a "bicultural identity"?
5. How do Karin and her daughter spend their first afternoon together?
6. What leads to the famine of 1958-61?
7. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
8. What is the significance of the phrase, "Heavy pressures that are difficult to explain"?
9. What is SOS Kinderdorf International?
10. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)