|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
(a) Passing a home study by a social worker.
(b) FBI fingerprinting.
(c) A credit check.
(d) Clearance from the INS.
2. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
(c) The Golden Arches.
(d) The Kentucky Fried Colonel.
3. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(a) Los Angeles.
4. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
(a) A famine.
(b) A drought.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A civil war.
5. What is a "hukou"?
(a) A birth permission paper.
(b) A marriage license.
(c) An adoption decree.
(d) A residence registration card.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
2. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
3. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
4. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
5. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Karin's conclusion about her baby's mother?
2. What recent announcement about adoption has been made by President Clinton as Evans is writing her book?
3. What does Karin find in the middle of the night that is symbolic of her search for clues about her daughter's birth mother?
4. What do the families have to do on Shamian Island?
5. What are working conditions like in China?
6. What does Karin mention about the Cantonese people?
7. What is Qigong?
8. What leads to the famine of 1958-61?
9. What kinds of things are in Karin's "shrine"?
10. Describe the traffic in Guanzhou at night.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)