|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(b) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(c) A soapstone Buddha.
(d) A baby bootie.
2. Who is Mei Li?
(a) An old friend of Karin's.
(b) Their baby's birth mother.
(c) Their new baby.
(d) The head of the orphanage.
3. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
4. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
5. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A blue block.
(c) A baby doll.
(d) A green cup.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
2. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
3. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
4. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
5. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Evans write this book?
2. Why does professor Huang Banghan want to write a book about Chinese-U.S. adoption for Chinese readers?
3. What is the significance of the phrase, "Heavy pressures that are difficult to explain"?
4. Describe three ways in which Evans pictures Chinese adoptees growing up in the United States.
5. Describe Karin and Mark's first moments with their daughter.
6. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
7. What is Harry Wu's objection to the Chinese adoption system?
8. Describe the two-tier system of adoption Karin mentions.
9. What attempts are made during the Mao Zedong era to improve the lives of women?
10. Why are girls expected to feel lucky just to be alive, particularly during the hardest times?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)