Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
2. What is a "hukou"?
(a) A birth permission paper.
(b) A marriage license.
(c) An adoption decree.
(d) A residence registration card.
3. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
(a) Railroad stations.
(d) Along roads.
4. Who is Mei Li?
(a) Their new baby.
(b) Their baby's birth mother.
(c) An old friend of Karin's.
(d) The head of the orphanage.
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(d) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
Short Answer Questions
1. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
2. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
3. Where is the author's daughter born?
4. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
5. Who is China's second sage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karin and Mark feel about the rest of their group?
2. What does May Wong see as the biggest difference between Chinese and American cultures?
3. Describe the official paperwork Chinese babies who are adopted receive from the Chinese government.
4. Describe the two-tier system of adoption Karin mentions.
5. What is the story that Karin has imagined about Kelly's birth mother?
6. What is Kelly's reaction to the film "Stuart Little"?
7. What are some of the recommendations on packing for China that Karin and Mark choose not to use?
8. What negative predictions accompany a forecast of a 20% shortage of marriageable young women?
9. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
10. How do Karin and Mark deliberately expose Kelly to her heritage?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)