|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) A changing table.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A makeshift crib.
(d) An electric fan.
2. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
(a) In the United States.
(d) Hong Kong.
3. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
(a) A civil war.
(b) A famine.
(c) A drought.
(d) An earthquake.
4. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
5. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
2. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
3. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
4. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
5. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons that Americans have turned more to international adoptions?
2. What is China's "dark side"?
3. Why does Evans write this book?
4. What are some of the recommendations on packing for China that Karin and Mark choose not to use?
5. How does Karin's view of parenthood differ from Jill Ker Conway's?
6. What is Qigong?
7. Describe the card Karin and Mark receive from the orphanage where Kelly lived.
8. What are some of the effects of the "one-child policy" on baby girls?
9. What interesting information does Karin learn about the population-control policy on the riverboat cruise they take?
10. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)