|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
2. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(d) Los Angeles.
3. Who are "pleaders"?
(a) Men who were desperate for a son.
(b) Women who wanted more than one child.
(c) Women who begged to keep their children.
(d) Men who wanted multiple children to work the land.
4. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
5. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(b) Mao Zedong.
(c) Jiang Zemin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
2. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
3. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
4. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
5. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the baiji in danger?
2. What unintended consequence could China's single-child policy have as the first generation of only children grows up?
3. What is Karin's conclusion about her baby's mother?
4. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
5. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
6. What do the families have to do on Shamian Island?
7. Why do Karin and Mark want to adopt a child?
8. What kinds of things are in Karin's "shrine"?
9. What is Harry Wu's objection to the Chinese adoption system?
10. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)