|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a regional delicacy in Guangzhou that Karin is told tastes like peanuts?
(a) Fried grasshoppers.
(b) Fried mulberry leaves.
(c) Fried silkworms.
(d) Fried moths.
2. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White dolphins.
(b) White whales.
(c) White cranes.
(d) White goats.
3. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
4. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A jade star.
(b) A silver heart.
(c) A jade Buddha.
(d) A silver Buddha.
5. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
(a) A credit check.
(b) FBI fingerprinting.
(c) Clearance from the INS.
(d) Passing a home study by a social worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
2. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
3. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
4. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
5. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the experience Mark and Karin had at the local dog pound.
2. What attempts are made during the Mao Zedong era to improve the lives of women?
3. What negative predictions accompany a forecast of a 20% shortage of marriageable young women?
4. Why does professor Huang Banghan want to write a book about Chinese-U.S. adoption for Chinese readers?
5. What is the practical side of the Confucian family system that so heavily favors sons?
6. Why does Evans praise the Chinese state for its adoption program?
7. How do Karin and her daughter spend their first afternoon together?
8. Why are the baiji in danger?
9. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
10. What is a "bicultural identity"?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)