|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
(a) An adoption decree.
(b) A birth permission paper.
(c) A birth certificate.
(d) A marriage license.
2. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
(a) China Doll.
(b) Paper Moon.
(c) Chinese Buddha.
(d) China Moon.
3. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(b) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(c) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
(d) "Show no emotion."
4. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
(a) Human trafficking in young women.
(c) Abandoned babies.
(d) Forced abortions.
5. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Little Education.
(b) Little Jade.
(c) Little Flower.
(d) Slight Change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
2. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
3. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
4. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
5. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mission of Families with Children from China?
2. What does Karin mention about the Cantonese people?
3. How does poverty affect children?
4. Why does Evans doubt the appropriateness of using the word "abandonment" so often in reference to Chinese babies?
5. What is Qigong?
6. What kinds of things are in Karin's "shrine"?
7. What recent announcement about adoption has been made by President Clinton as Evans is writing her book?
8. Why do China's leaders push for a population control policy?
9. What are working conditions like in China?
10. What are some reasons that Americans have turned more to international adoptions?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)