|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
2. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
(a) China Moon.
(b) China Doll.
(c) Chinese Buddha.
(d) Paper Moon.
3. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(b) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
(c) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(d) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
4. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
5. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
2. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
3. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
4. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
5. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the initial policies used by the Chinese government to reduce the birthrate.
2. What leads to the famine of 1958-61?
3. What kinds of things are in Karin's "shrine"?
4. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
5. How does poverty affect children?
6. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
7. What is, in Evans' mind, the most important finding to come out of a study on infant abandonment in China?
8. What are Karin's feelings toward Max?
9. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
10. Describe the experience Mark and Karin had at the local dog pound.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)