|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mei Li?
(a) An old friend of Karin's.
(b) The head of the orphanage.
(c) Their baby's birth mother.
(d) Their new baby.
2. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
3. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
4. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
5. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hutang"?
2. What does Karin bury in her yard?
3. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
4. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
5. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Karin's conclusion about her baby's mother?
2. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
3. What are working conditions like in China?
4. How do Karin and her daughter spend their first afternoon together?
5. What is the mission of Families with Children from China?
6. What is the main way in which all Chinese adoptees' stories are similar?
7. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
8. What recent announcement about adoption has been made by President Clinton as Evans is writing her book?
9. What do the families have to do on Shamian Island?
10. What is China's "dark side"?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)