|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(d) Tai chi.
2. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The umbilical cord.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) The placenta.
(d) A lock of hair.
3. What is the meaning of the surname "Jiang," given to the babies at Kelly's orphanage?
4. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A silver Buddha.
(b) A jade Buddha.
(c) A jade star.
(d) A silver heart.
5. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
(a) Two single parents of Chinese adoptees married.
(b) An adoptee from China who adopted a baby from China.
(c) A mother and daughter who each adopted a baby.
(d) Three sisters who each adopted a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
2. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
3. What are the "baiji"?
4. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
5. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Kelly and the puppy, Maddy.
2. What is Karin's conclusion about her baby's mother?
3. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
4. Why do the backgrounds of many Chinese adoptees remain so unclear?
5. Why does Evans doubt the appropriateness of using the word "abandonment" so often in reference to Chinese babies?
6. What are working conditions like in China?
7. What are some of the effects of the "one-child policy" on baby girls?
8. What does Karin find in the middle of the night that is symbolic of her search for clues about her daughter's birth mother?
9. What are Karin's feelings toward Max?
10. What is Kelly's reaction to the film "Stuart Little"?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)