|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) Three months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
2. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "Growing Up Orphans."
(b) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(c) "China's Lost Children."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
3. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
4. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
(a) An adoption decree.
(b) A marriage license.
(c) A birth permission paper.
(d) A birth certificate.
5. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) An offering to the gods.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) The umbilical cord.
(d) The placenta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
2. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
3. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
4. Which of these is NOT an item mentioned as having been found with an abandoned baby?
5. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Karin and Mark want to adopt a child?
2. Why do the backgrounds of many Chinese adoptees remain so unclear?
3. At the time Karin and Mark are adopting, what is the state of Chinese women's reproductive lives?
4. Why does Evans praise the Chinese state for its adoption program?
5. How does poverty affect children?
6. What unintended consequence could China's single-child policy have as the first generation of only children grows up?
7. What is China's "dark side"?
8. What does May Wong see as the biggest difference between Chinese and American cultures?
9. What is the practical side of the Confucian family system that so heavily favors sons?
10. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)