|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
2. What religious sect always deliberately puts a flaw in their quilts?
(b) Jehovah's Witnesses.
3. Where is Karin when she has an epiphany about how unconditionally she loves her daughter?
(a) On a beach.
(b) In her kitchen.
(c) In the orphanage.
(d) On the plane.
4. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
5. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
(a) Cow tongue.
(b) Snake meat.
(c) Ostrich meat.
(d) Lily greens.
6. What is the name of the ancient temple the group of adopting parents visit with their babies?
(a) Three Goats Temple.
(b) Golden Lilies Temple.
(c) Banyan Tree Temple.
(d) Mulberry Tree Temple.
7. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese government official.
(b) A Chinese filmmaker.
(c) A Chinese physician.
(d) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
8. Which of these things is ranked as least important in a national survey of parents of adopted Chinese children?
(a) Pride in the Chinese heritage.
(b) Exposure to Chinese culture.
(c) Being friends with other Chinese children.
(d) Being able to speak Chinese at home.
9. What is the name of the former entry port for immigrants coming to California between 1910-1940?
(b) Angel Island.
(c) Ryker's Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
10. In what major newspaper is Julia Ming Gale's story told in 1996?
(a) "The Boston Globe."
(b) "The Washington Post."
(c) "The New York Times."
(d) "USA Today."
11. Of what does Karin receive photographs from a young woman in China?
(a) The market where Kelly was found.
(b) A village near Jiangmen.
(c) The apartments surrounding the market.
(d) The farmer who found her.
12. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
(a) They are only adopted within China.
(b) They must agree to the adoption.
(c) They cannot be adopted at all.
(d) They are always placed in pairs.
13. Who is Max?
(a) The adoption group's bus driver.
(b) An official at the Consulate.
(c) One of the other adoptive parents.
(d) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
14. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
(b) "Seven Samurai."
(c) "One Wonderful Sunday."
(d) "The Idiot."
15. What phrase does Chinese professor Huang Banghan use to describe his hopes for adopted Chinese girls' journeys through the questions of their origins?
(a) "Smooth sailing."
(b) "Safe passage."
(d) "Soft landing."
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Amy DeNucci travel to adopt Chinese babies?
2. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
3. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
4. What does Chinese legend say brings two lovers together?
5. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)