|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(a) "Atlantic Monthly."
(c) "Better Homes and Gardens."
2. Who is "Da Niao"?
(a) Hannah Montana.
(b) Dora the Explorer.
(c) Big Bird.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
3. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Alex Haley.
(b) Jill Ker Conway.
(c) Kahlil Gibran.
(d) Richard Dawkins.
4. How many generations are in the genealogy May Wong sees?
5. What is the name of the organization that sponsors the tiger-costume event and has chapters in all major U.S. cities?
(a) Helping Hands.
(b) Chinese Daughters.
(c) Families with Children from China.
(d) Adopted from China.
6. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
(d) Rice pudding.
7. What is the term psychiatrists have given to the feeling of children who have no way to trace their biological history?
(a) Genealogical depression.
(b) Genetic confusion.
(c) Genetic anxiety.
(d) Genealogical bewilderment.
8. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
(a) Cow tongue.
(b) Lily greens.
(c) Ostrich meat.
(d) Snake meat.
9. Where is Karin when she has her first brush with the reality of her child not resembling her physically?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) The post office.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) The airport.
10. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
(a) "Happy Home."
(b) "Brilliant Star."
(c) "Blessed Children."
(d) "Radiant Light."
11. What is the name of the program May Wong joins in San Francisco?
(a) "My Hometown."
(b) "No Place Like Home."
(c) "In Search of Roots."
(d) "Tracing Your Family Tree."
12. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
(a) They are always placed in pairs.
(b) They cannot be adopted at all.
(c) They are only adopted within China.
(d) They must agree to the adoption.
13. Jenny Bowen remembers a little girl left behind who is very proud of what possession?
(a) A book.
(b) A locket.
(c) A doll.
(d) String bracelets.
14. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
(a) "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
(b) "Twinkle,Twinkle, Little Star."
(c) "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."
(d) "Use Your Napkin(Not Your Mom!)."
15. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
(a) Michelle Kwan.
(b) Kristi Yamaguchi.
(c) Michelle Wie.
(d) Apollo Ono.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does May Wong grow up?
2. What does Evans cite as all children's worst enemy?
3. What is the name of the first international adoption agency in the United States?
4. Which of these is NOT a campaign mentioned from Shanghai and Beijing?
5. What is Guan Yin the goddess of?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)