|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pattern is the quilt on Karin's bed?
(b) Log Cabin.
(c) Wedding Ring.
(d) Flying Geese.
2. What is the name of the ancient temple the group of adopting parents visit with their babies?
(a) Golden Lilies Temple.
(b) Mulberry Tree Temple.
(c) Three Goats Temple.
(d) Banyan Tree Temple.
3. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Stanford University.
(c) University of California at Berkeley.
(d) University of Notre Dame.
4. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese filmmaker.
(b) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
(c) A Chinese physician.
(d) A Chinese government official.
5. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(b) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
(c) "Home on the Range."
(d) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
6. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
(a) "The Idiot."
(b) "Seven Samurai."
(d) "One Wonderful Sunday."
7. What is Jeffrey's favorite lullaby called?
(a) "The Little Swallow."
(b) "The Crane Song."
(c) "100 Grains of Rice."
(d) "Around the Mulberry Tree."
8. Where is Karin when she has her first brush with the reality of her child not resembling her physically?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) The airport.
(d) The post office.
9. What is the term psychiatrists have given to the feeling of children who have no way to trace their biological history?
(a) Genetic confusion.
(b) Genealogical bewilderment.
(c) Genetic anxiety.
(d) Genealogical depression.
10. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
11. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
(a) Lily greens.
(b) Cow tongue.
(c) Ostrich meat.
(d) Snake meat.
12. What is "jook"?
(b) Baby food.
(d) Rice pudding.
13. Who is Max?
(a) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
(b) One of the other adoptive parents.
(c) An official at the Consulate.
(d) The adoption group's bus driver.
14. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Daughters."
(b) "Good Fortune."
(c) "Sleep Tight."
(d) "China's Orphanages."
15. For whom does Karin's group of adoptive families have a potluck dinner?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) May Wong.
(c) Jenny Bowen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kelly's one Cantonese word?
2. With whom does Amy DeNucci travel to adopt Chinese babies?
3. What is the name of the former entry port for immigrants coming to California between 1910-1940?
4. In what percentage of families who abandon babies is the decision made by the father?
5. Which of these things is ranked as least important in a national survey of parents of adopted Chinese children?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)