|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many generations are in the genealogy May Wong sees?
2. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
(a) The "New York Times" magazine.
(c) "U.S. News & World Report."
3. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
(a) They are always placed in pairs.
(b) They are only adopted within China.
(c) They must agree to the adoption.
(d) They cannot be adopted at all.
4. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
5. What is the name of the national organization for single parents of Chinese children?
(a) Families with Children from China.
(b) Our Chinese Daughters Foundation.
(c) Just the Two of Us.
(d) Helping Hands.
6. What does Karin's sister-in-law's Mexican-Chinese family call Kelly?
(a) "The baby."
(c) "Miss Kelly."
(d) "La Chinita."
7. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Pearl S. Buck.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Harper Lee.
8. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(a) "Better Homes and Gardens."
(d) "Atlantic Monthly."
9. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Alex Haley.
(b) Richard Dawkins.
(c) Jill Ker Conway.
(d) Kahlil Gibran.
10. From what country are 2500 children adopted in China after World War II?
11. What religious sect always deliberately puts a flaw in their quilts?
(c) Jehovah's Witnesses.
12. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
13. Who is "Da Niao"?
(a) Mickey Mouse.
(b) Dora the Explorer.
(c) Hannah Montana.
(d) Big Bird.
14. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
(b) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(c) "Home on the Range."
(d) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
15. Which of these professors is NOT part of the study on infant abandonment in China?
(a) Richard Tessler.
(b) Kay Johnson.
(c) Wang Liyao.
(d) Huang Banghan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
2. In what major newspaper is Julia Ming Gale's story told in 1996?
3. Where does May Wong attend college?
4. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
5. In what year does China loosen the restrictions demanding that adoptive parents take "special-needs" children?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)