|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Harper Lee.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Pearl S. Buck.
2. What is "jook"?
(a) Baby food.
(b) Rice pudding.
3. Which of these is a reason given by Chinese couples who adopted abandoned baby girls?
(a) To bring honor to the family.
(b) To provide for our old age.
(c) To provide grandchildren.
(d) To increase joy in life.
4. With whom does Amy DeNucci travel to adopt Chinese babies?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her sons.
(d) Her mother.
5. To what Broadway show's music does Kelly fall asleep in White Cloud Park?
(a) "West Side Story."
6. Of what does Karin receive photographs from a young woman in China?
(a) The farmer who found her.
(b) The market where Kelly was found.
(c) The apartments surrounding the market.
(d) A village near Jiangmen.
7. What is the name of the organization that sponsors the tiger-costume event and has chapters in all major U.S. cities?
(a) Helping Hands.
(b) Adopted from China.
(c) Chinese Daughters.
(d) Families with Children from China.
8. Which of these is NOT a campaign mentioned from Shanghai and Beijing?
(a) "Let kind-hearted people give orphans a big hug."
(b) "Help orphans in every way."
(c) "Adopt an orphan!"
(d) "Link your hearts to orphans' hearts."
9. What religious sect always deliberately puts a flaw in their quilts?
(c) Jehovah's Witnesses.
10. What symbols does Karin's father use to represent people on his family tree?
11. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
12. What is the name of the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) One World.
(b) Adoption International.
(c) Welcome House.
(d) Joined Hands.
13. What is Guan Yin the goddess of?
(b) The sky.
(c) The sea.
14. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Richard Dawkins.
(b) Jill Ker Conway.
(c) Kahlil Gibran.
(d) Alex Haley.
15. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
(b) "Home on the Range."
(c) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(d) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
Short Answer Questions
1. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
2. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
3. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
4. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
5. Jenny Bowen remembers a little girl left behind who is very proud of what possession?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)