|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
(a) "Home for Little Ones."
(b) "Hospital for children."
(c) "State-run orphanage."
(d) "Hospice for killing infants."
2. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
(a) The "New York Times" magazine.
(d) "U.S. News & World Report."
3. What organization does adoptive mother Jenny Bowen found?
(a) The Bowen Foundation.
(b) Welcome House.
(c) The Amity Foundation.
(d) Half the Sky Foundation.
4. What does Karin's sister-in-law's Mexican-Chinese family call Kelly?
(b) "La Chinita."
(c) "The baby."
(d) "Miss Kelly."
5. With what does Kelly seem particularly fascinated?
(a) The television.
(d) Traffic lights.
6. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Danielle Steel.
(b) Ha Jin.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) John Grisham.
7. In what year does China loosen the restrictions demanding that adoptive parents take "special-needs" children?
8. Who is Max?
(a) The adoption group's bus driver.
(b) An official at the Consulate.
(c) One of the other adoptive parents.
(d) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
9. What is the name of the former entry port for immigrants coming to California between 1910-1940?
(b) Ellis Island.
(c) Ryker's Island.
(d) Angel Island.
10. What Chinese festival is held in October?
(a) Festival of the Autumn Moon.
(b) Silkworm Festival.
(c) Festival of the Dragon.
(d) Harvest Festival.
11. Which of these professors is NOT part of the study on infant abandonment in China?
(a) Kay Johnson.
(b) Wang Liyao.
(c) Huang Banghan.
(d) Richard Tessler.
12. Jenny Bowen remembers a little girl left behind who is very proud of what possession?
(a) A book.
(b) A doll.
(c) A locket.
(d) String bracelets.
13. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
(b) Rice pudding.
14. What does Evans cite as all children's worst enemy?
15. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Home on the Range."
(b) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(c) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
(d) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chinese legend say brings two lovers together?
2. On what surface is Kelly afraid, at first, to move?
3. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
4. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
5. What phrase does Chinese professor Huang Banghan use to describe his hopes for adopted Chinese girls' journeys through the questions of their origins?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)