|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Richard Dawkins.
(b) Alex Haley.
(c) Jill Ker Conway.
(d) Kahlil Gibran.
2. Where is Karin when she has her first brush with the reality of her child not resembling her physically?
(a) A coffee shop.
(b) The airport.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The post office.
3. What does Kelly call motorcycles?
4. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Harper Lee.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Pearl S. Buck.
5. What is the term psychiatrists have given to the feeling of children who have no way to trace their biological history?
(a) Genealogical bewilderment.
(b) Genetic anxiety.
(c) Genetic confusion.
(d) Genealogical depression.
6. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
(b) A Chinese physician.
(c) A Chinese filmmaker.
(d) A Chinese government official.
7. How many generations are in the genealogy May Wong sees?
8. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
(a) "Home for Little Ones."
(b) "Hospice for killing infants."
(c) "Hospital for children."
(d) "State-run orphanage."
9. Who is "Da Niao"?
(a) Hannah Montana.
(b) Mickey Mouse.
(c) Big Bird.
(d) Dora the Explorer.
10. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) Stanford University.
(b) University of Notre Dame.
(c) University of California at Berkeley.
(d) Harvard University.
11. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(a) "Atlantic Monthly."
(d) "Better Homes and Gardens."
12. What pattern is the quilt on Karin's bed?
(a) Log Cabin.
(c) Wedding Ring.
(d) Flying Geese.
13. From what country are 2500 children adopted in China after World War II?
14. On what surface is Kelly afraid, at first, to move?
(d) Shag carpet.
15. Where is it that all adopted Chinese babies must pass through?
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
2. Jenny Bowen remembers a little girl left behind who is very proud of what possession?
3. What does Chinese legend say brings two lovers together?
4. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
5. In what major newspaper is Julia Ming Gale's story told in 1996?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)