|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT part of the new playground built at the orphanage where Kelly lived?
(a) A Mickey Mouse ride.
(b) A sandbox.
(d) A slide.
2. What does Kelly dress up as for her second Halloween?
(a) A witch.
(b) A flower.
(c) A princess.
(d) A pumpkin.
3. What is Jeffrey's favorite lullaby called?
(a) "100 Grains of Rice."
(b) "Around the Mulberry Tree."
(c) "The Little Swallow."
(d) "The Crane Song."
4. What is "jook"?
(b) Rice pudding.
(c) Baby food.
5. What Chinese festival is held in October?
(a) Harvest Festival.
(b) Festival of the Autumn Moon.
(c) Silkworm Festival.
(d) Festival of the Dragon.
6. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) Stanford University.
(b) University of Notre Dame.
(c) University of California at Berkeley.
(d) Harvard University.
7. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
(b) "U.S. News & World Report."
(d) The "New York Times" magazine.
8. Who is "Da Niao"?
(a) Dora the Explorer.
(b) Hannah Montana.
(c) Mickey Mouse.
(d) Big Bird.
9. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
10. What organization does adoptive mother Jenny Bowen found?
(a) The Bowen Foundation.
(b) The Amity Foundation.
(c) Half the Sky Foundation.
(d) Welcome House.
11. Which of these things is ranked as least important in a national survey of parents of adopted Chinese children?
(a) Pride in the Chinese heritage.
(b) Exposure to Chinese culture.
(c) Being friends with other Chinese children.
(d) Being able to speak Chinese at home.
12. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
(a) "One Wonderful Sunday."
(b) "The Idiot."
(c) "Seven Samurai."
13. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(b) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
(c) "Home on the Range."
(d) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
14. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese filmmaker.
(b) A Chinese physician.
(c) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
(d) A Chinese government official.
15. What is Kelly's one Cantonese word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
2. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
3. What is Guan Yin the goddess of?
4. Where does May Wong grow up?
5. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)