|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Evans cite as all children's worst enemy?
2. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) University of Notre Dame.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Stanford University.
(d) University of California at Berkeley.
3. On what surface is Kelly afraid, at first, to move?
(c) Shag carpet.
4. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Richard Dawkins.
(b) Alex Haley.
(c) Jill Ker Conway.
(d) Kahlil Gibran.
5. What common remark about adopted children from China is particularly frustrating to their parents?
(a) That they aren't their parents "real" children.
(b) That they don't look like their parents.
(c) That they are lucky to have been rescued.
(d) That they all look the same.
6. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) Harper Lee.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Pearl S. Buck.
7. What religious sect always deliberately puts a flaw in their quilts?
(d) Jehovah's Witnesses.
8. What does Karin's sister-in-law's Mexican-Chinese family call Kelly?
(a) "La Chinita."
(c) "The baby."
(d) "Miss Kelly."
9. What is given to all the girls at Ming Quong on Mother's Day?
(a) A book.
(b) A rose.
(c) A doll.
(d) New shoes.
10. What is the other name for this Chinese October holiday?
(a) Day of Remembrance.
(b) Day of Forgiveness.
(c) Day of Reunion.
(d) Day of Reckoning.
11. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
(a) "Blessed Children."
(b) "Brilliant Star."
(c) "Happy Home."
(d) "Radiant Light."
12. Which of these is NOT part of the new playground built at the orphanage where Kelly lived?
(a) A Mickey Mouse ride.
(c) A slide.
(d) A sandbox.
13. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
(a) "The Dying Rooms."
(b) "Death by Default."
(c) "Death by Numbers."
(d) "The State of Chinese Orphanages."
14. At what internationally famous restaurant does the group of adopting parents eat after getting the babies?
(a) Hard Rock Cafe.
(b) House of Blues.
(d) Kentucky Fried Chicken.
15. In what type of church is the tiger-costume event held?
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
2. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
3. What Chinese festival is held in October?
4. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
5. What is Guan Yin the goddess of?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)