|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these things is NOT an identifying characteristic of Americans mentioned by May Wong?
(d) Personal carriage.
2. What phrase does Chinese professor Huang Banghan use to describe his hopes for adopted Chinese girls' journeys through the questions of their origins?
(a) "Soft landing."
(c) "Smooth sailing."
(d) "Safe passage."
3. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Jill Ker Conway.
(b) Kahlil Gibran.
(c) Alex Haley.
(d) Richard Dawkins.
4. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Harper Lee.
(d) Pearl S. Buck.
5. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
(b) "Seven Samurai."
(c) "The Idiot."
(d) "One Wonderful Sunday."
6. What is Guan Yin the goddess of?
(c) The sky.
(d) The sea.
7. Which of these things is ranked as least important in a national survey of parents of adopted Chinese children?
(a) Being friends with other Chinese children.
(b) Pride in the Chinese heritage.
(c) Being able to speak Chinese at home.
(d) Exposure to Chinese culture.
8. In what type of church is the tiger-costume event held?
9. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
(a) Snake meat.
(b) Cow tongue.
(c) Lily greens.
(d) Ostrich meat.
10. What symbols does Karin's father use to represent people on his family tree?
11. Where is Karin when she has an epiphany about how unconditionally she loves her daughter?
(a) On the plane.
(b) On a beach.
(c) In the orphanage.
(d) In her kitchen.
12. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
(b) Rice pudding.
13. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
14. What Chinese festival is held in October?
(a) Silkworm Festival.
(b) Festival of the Dragon.
(c) Harvest Festival.
(d) Festival of the Autumn Moon.
15. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Max?
2. Which of these is NOT part of the new playground built at the orphanage where Kelly lived?
3. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
4. What is the name of the ancient temple the group of adopting parents visit with their babies?
5. Who is "Da Niao"?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)