|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
(a) "U.S. News & World Report."
(c) The "New York Times" magazine.
2. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
(a) "Twinkle,Twinkle, Little Star."
(b) "Use Your Napkin(Not Your Mom!)."
(c) "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."
(d) "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
3. With what does Kelly seem particularly fascinated?
(b) Traffic lights.
(c) The television.
4. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(b) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
(c) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
(d) "Home on the Range."
5. In what country is SOS Kinderdorf International based?
(a) The Czech Republic.
6. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(a) "Better Homes and Gardens."
(b) "Atlantic Monthly."
7. What symbols does Karin's father use to represent people on his family tree?
8. Where is Karin when she has an epiphany about how unconditionally she loves her daughter?
(a) On the plane.
(b) On a beach.
(c) In the orphanage.
(d) In her kitchen.
9. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
(c) Rice pudding.
10. Which of these is a reason given by Chinese couples who adopted abandoned baby girls?
(a) To increase joy in life.
(b) To provide grandchildren.
(c) To provide for our old age.
(d) To bring honor to the family.
11. What is the name of the organization that sponsors the tiger-costume event and has chapters in all major U.S. cities?
(a) Chinese Daughters.
(b) Families with Children from China.
(c) Adopted from China.
(d) Helping Hands.
12. What is given to all the girls at Ming Quong on Mother's Day?
(a) A book.
(b) A doll.
(c) A rose.
(d) New shoes.
13. In what year does "The Dying Rooms" premiere on American television?
14. In what percentage of families who abandon babies is the decision made by the father?
15. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) University of Notre Dame.
(b) Stanford University.
(c) University of California at Berkeley.
(d) Harvard University.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
2. What Native American tribe always deliberately weaves an imperfection into their rugs?
3. What religious sect always deliberately puts a flaw in their quilts?
4. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
5. What is the name of the program May Wong joins in San Francisco?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)