|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
(a) "Use Your Napkin(Not Your Mom!)."
(b) "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."
(c) "Twinkle,Twinkle, Little Star."
(d) "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
2. To what Broadway show's music does Kelly fall asleep in White Cloud Park?
(a) "West Side Story."
3. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) Pearl S. Buck.
(b) Harper Lee.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) John Steinbeck.
4. What is "jook"?
(a) Baby food.
(b) Rice pudding.
5. Which of these things is NOT an identifying characteristic of Americans mentioned by May Wong?
(a) Personal carriage.
6. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
(a) "Blessed Children."
(b) "Happy Home."
(c) "Brilliant Star."
(d) "Radiant Light."
7. What event are the Evanses attending where all the children are dressed as tigers?
(a) Dragon-Boat Festival.
(b) A Halloween party.
(c) A child's jungle-themed birthday party.
(d) "Between the Two New Years."
8. What does Chinese legend say brings two lovers together?
(c) Magnetic force.
(d) An invisible red string.
9. What is the name of the former entry port for immigrants coming to California between 1910-1940?
(a) Angel Island.
(c) Ryker's Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
10. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(a) "Atlantic Monthly."
(d) "Better Homes and Gardens."
11. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese filmmaker.
(b) A Chinese physician.
(c) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
(d) A Chinese government official.
12. What is the name of the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) Adoption International.
(b) One World.
(c) Welcome House.
(d) Joined Hands.
13. Which of these is NOT part of the new playground built at the orphanage where Kelly lived?
(b) A sandbox.
(c) A slide.
(d) A Mickey Mouse ride.
14. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
(a) "The Idiot."
(b) "Seven Samurai."
(c) "One Wonderful Sunday."
15. What is the name of the national organization for single parents of Chinese children?
(a) Our Chinese Daughters Foundation.
(b) Helping Hands.
(c) Families with Children from China.
(d) Just the Two of Us.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Chinese professor Huang Banghan use to describe his hopes for adopted Chinese girls' journeys through the questions of their origins?
2. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
3. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
4. Where is it that all adopted Chinese babies must pass through?
5. Which of these professors is NOT part of the study on infant abandonment in China?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)