|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
(a) Apollo Ono.
(b) Kristi Yamaguchi.
(c) Michelle Wie.
(d) Michelle Kwan.
2. Which of these is a song Karin and Mark sing to Kelly in the hotel room?
(a) "Itsy-Bitsy Spider."
(b) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
(c) "Bye Bye Blackbird."
(d) "Home on the Range."
3. Where is Karin when she has an epiphany about how unconditionally she loves her daughter?
(a) On the plane.
(b) In the orphanage.
(c) On a beach.
(d) In her kitchen.
4. What award does "The Dying Rooms" win?
(a) An Oscar.
(b) A Peabody.
(c) An Emmy.
(d) A Nobel.
5. Which of these things is NOT an identifying characteristic of Americans mentioned by May Wong?
(d) Personal carriage.
6. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
7. Which of these professors is NOT part of the study on infant abandonment in China?
(a) Wang Liyao.
(b) Huang Banghan.
(c) Kay Johnson.
(d) Richard Tessler.
8. What phrase does Chinese professor Huang Banghan use to describe his hopes for adopted Chinese girls' journeys through the questions of their origins?
(b) "Smooth sailing."
(c) "Soft landing."
(d) "Safe passage."
9. In what year does "The Dying Rooms" premiere on American television?
10. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
(d) Rice pudding.
11. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) Stanford University.
(b) University of California at Berkeley.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) University of Notre Dame.
12. Which of these things is ranked as least important in a national survey of parents of adopted Chinese children?
(a) Pride in the Chinese heritage.
(b) Being able to speak Chinese at home.
(c) Being friends with other Chinese children.
(d) Exposure to Chinese culture.
13. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
(a) "Use Your Napkin(Not Your Mom!)."
(b) "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."
(c) "Twinkle,Twinkle, Little Star."
(d) "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
14. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) Danielle Steel.
(c) John Grisham.
(d) Ha Jin.
15. Where does May Wong grow up?
(b) New York City.
(d) Northern California.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what internationally famous restaurant does the group of adopting parents eat after getting the babies?
2. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
3. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
4. What is the name of the national organization for single parents of Chinese children?
5. What does Kelly dress up as for her second Halloween?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)