|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does China loosen the restrictions demanding that adoptive parents take "special-needs" children?
2. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
(a) Ostrich meat.
(b) Snake meat.
(c) Cow tongue.
(d) Lily greens.
3. What pattern is the quilt on Karin's bed?
(a) Log Cabin.
(c) Wedding Ring.
(d) Flying Geese.
4. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Ha Jin.
(b) Danielle Steel.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) John Grisham.
5. Which of these is NOT part of the new playground built at the orphanage where Kelly lived?
(a) A sandbox.
(b) A Mickey Mouse ride.
(d) A slide.
6. In what country is SOS Kinderdorf International based?
(b) The Czech Republic.
7. In what major newspaper is Julia Ming Gale's story told in 1996?
(a) "The New York Times."
(b) "The Boston Globe."
(c) "The Washington Post."
(d) "USA Today."
8. What award does "The Dying Rooms" win?
(a) A Nobel.
(b) An Emmy.
(c) A Peabody.
(d) An Oscar.
9. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
(a) "The State of Chinese Orphanages."
(b) "Death by Default."
(c) "The Dying Rooms."
(d) "Death by Numbers."
10. About how many of China's thousand-plus orphanages do adoption agencies have contact with?
11. What famous novelist founds the first international adoption agency in the United States?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Harper Lee.
(d) Pearl S. Buck.
12. Who is Max?
(a) One of the other adoptive parents.
(b) An official at the Consulate.
(c) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
(d) The adoption group's bus driver.
13. What is the name of the organization that sponsors the tiger-costume event and has chapters in all major U.S. cities?
(a) Families with Children from China.
(b) Helping Hands.
(c) Adopted from China.
(d) Chinese Daughters.
14. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese government official.
(b) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
(c) A Chinese filmmaker.
(d) A Chinese physician.
15. What organization does adoptive mother Jenny Bowen found?
(a) The Bowen Foundation.
(b) The Amity Foundation.
(c) Welcome House.
(d) Half the Sky Foundation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is a reason given by Chinese couples who adopted abandoned baby girls?
2. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
3. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
4. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
5. What Native American tribe always deliberately weaves an imperfection into their rugs?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)