|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Chinese people traditionally eat at this October festival?
(d) Rice pudding.
2. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) John Grisham.
(c) Danielle Steel.
(d) Ha Jin.
3. With what does Kelly seem particularly fascinated?
(b) The television.
(d) Traffic lights.
4. In what year does China loosen the restrictions demanding that adoptive parents take "special-needs" children?
5. What does Chinese legend say brings two lovers together?
(c) An invisible red string.
(d) Magnetic force.
6. Who is Zhang Shuyun?
(a) A Chinese orphanage caretaker.
(b) A Chinese physician.
(c) A Chinese government official.
(d) A Chinese filmmaker.
7. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(b) "Atlantic Monthly."
(c) "Better Homes and Gardens."
8. Who writes that "A child's chromosomes are an irretrievably scrambled mishmash of its grandparents' chromosomes and so on..."?
(a) Richard Dawkins.
(b) Kahlil Gibran.
(c) Jill Ker Conway.
(d) Alex Haley.
9. With whom does Amy DeNucci travel to adopt Chinese babies?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her sons.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
10. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) Stanford University.
(b) University of Notre Dame.
(c) University of California at Berkeley.
(d) Harvard University.
11. Which of these professors is NOT part of the study on infant abandonment in China?
(a) Kay Johnson.
(b) Richard Tessler.
(c) Huang Banghan.
(d) Wang Liyao.
12. Who is Max?
(a) The adoption group's bus driver.
(b) One of the other adoptive parents.
(c) An official at the Consulate.
(d) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
13. What is Kelly's one Cantonese word?
14. Who is "Da Niao"?
(a) Dora the Explorer.
(b) Big Bird.
(c) Mickey Mouse.
(d) Hannah Montana.
15. Where does May Wong grow up?
(a) New York City.
(b) Northern California.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the program May Wong joins in San Francisco?
2. What common remark about adopted children from China is particularly frustrating to their parents?
3. What award does "The Dying Rooms" win?
4. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
5. What event are the Evanses attending where all the children are dressed as tigers?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)