|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Karin when she has her first brush with the reality of her child not resembling her physically?
(a) The airport.
(b) The post office.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) The grocery store.
2. What is the other name for this Chinese October holiday?
(a) Day of Reunion.
(b) Day of Remembrance.
(c) Day of Forgiveness.
(d) Day of Reckoning.
3. What is Jeffrey's favorite lullaby called?
(a) "The Crane Song."
(b) "The Little Swallow."
(c) "100 Grains of Rice."
(d) "Around the Mulberry Tree."
4. Which of these professors is NOT part of the study on infant abandonment in China?
(a) Wang Liyao.
(b) Huang Banghan.
(c) Kay Johnson.
(d) Richard Tessler.
5. At what internationally famous restaurant does the group of adopting parents eat after getting the babies?
(a) Hard Rock Cafe.
(c) Kentucky Fried Chicken.
(d) House of Blues.
6. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Danielle Steel.
(b) John Grisham.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) Ha Jin.
7. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
(a) "The State of Chinese Orphanages."
(b) "Death by Default."
(c) "Death by Numbers."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
8. What is Kelly's favorite children's recording?
(a) "Twinkle,Twinkle, Little Star."
(b) "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
(c) "Use Your Napkin(Not Your Mom!)."
(d) "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."
9. What event are the Evanses attending where all the children are dressed as tigers?
(a) Dragon-Boat Festival.
(b) "Between the Two New Years."
(c) A child's jungle-themed birthday party.
(d) A Halloween party.
10. With whom does Amy DeNucci travel to adopt Chinese babies?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her sons.
11. Which of these is NOT a campaign mentioned from Shanghai and Beijing?
(a) "Adopt an orphan!"
(b) "Help orphans in every way."
(c) "Link your hearts to orphans' hearts."
(d) "Let kind-hearted people give orphans a big hug."
12. Where does May Wong attend college?
(a) University of Notre Dame.
(b) Stanford University.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) University of California at Berkeley.
13. Who is Max?
(a) An official at the Consulate.
(b) One of the other adoptive parents.
(c) The adoption group's bus driver.
(d) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
14. What Native American tribe always deliberately weaves an imperfection into their rugs?
15. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "jook"?
2. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
3. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
4. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
5. What is Guan Yin the goddess of?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)