|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
(a) "Blessed Children."
(b) "Brilliant Star."
(c) "Happy Home."
(d) "Radiant Light."
2. In what type of church is the tiger-costume event held?
3. Who is Max?
(a) The adoption group's U.S.-China facilitator.
(b) The adoption group's bus driver.
(c) One of the other adoptive parents.
(d) An official at the Consulate.
4. What is the name of the national organization for single parents of Chinese children?
(a) Families with Children from China.
(b) Helping Hands.
(c) Just the Two of Us.
(d) Our Chinese Daughters Foundation.
5. Which of these things is NOT an identifying characteristic of Americans mentioned by May Wong?
(d) Personal carriage.
6. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(b) "Atlantic Monthly."
(c) "Better Homes and Gardens."
7. Jenny Bowen remembers a little girl left behind who is very proud of what possession?
(a) A doll.
(b) A locket.
(c) A book.
(d) String bracelets.
8. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Daughters."
(b) "China's Orphanages."
(c) "Good Fortune."
(d) "Sleep Tight."
9. What is the name of the program May Wong joins in San Francisco?
(a) "My Hometown."
(b) "No Place Like Home."
(c) "Tracing Your Family Tree."
(d) "In Search of Roots."
10. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Danielle Steel.
(b) Ha Jin.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) John Grisham.
11. From what country does the wave of adoptees come to America in the 1950s?
12. What is the name of the organization that sponsors the tiger-costume event and has chapters in all major U.S. cities?
(a) Helping Hands.
(b) Families with Children from China.
(c) Chinese Daughters.
(d) Adopted from China.
13. What strange menu item from their final dinner in China does Evans mention more than once?
(a) Lily greens.
(b) Ostrich meat.
(c) Cow tongue.
(d) Snake meat.
14. What is the name of the ancient temple the group of adopting parents visit with their babies?
(a) Golden Lilies Temple.
(b) Banyan Tree Temple.
(c) Three Goats Temple.
(d) Mulberry Tree Temple.
15. What is the name of the former entry port for immigrants coming to California between 1910-1940?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Ryker's Island.
(c) Angel Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "jook"?
2. From what country are 2500 children adopted in China after World War II?
3. What does Kelly call motorcycles?
4. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
5. Who is "Da Niao"?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)