|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A green cup.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A baby doll.
(d) A blue block.
2. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(b) A baby bootie.
(c) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(d) A soapstone Buddha.
3. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
4. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Daughter disappointment."
(b) "Chosen boys."
(c) "Boy preference."
(d) "Son preference."
5. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) Three months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
6. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
(a) China Doll.
(b) China Moon.
(c) Chinese Buddha.
(d) Paper Moon.
7. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) The clergy.
(b) Their families.
(d) Other adoptive parents.
8. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) "Chinese Flowers."
(b) "The Lost Generation."
(c) Her daughter's "sisters."
(d) "Chinese Pearls."
9. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
10. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
11. What is a "hutang"?
(a) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(b) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(c) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
(d) A Chinese dumpling dish.
12. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
(a) Clearance from the INS.
(b) Passing a home study by a social worker.
(c) FBI fingerprinting.
(d) A credit check.
13. Where are Karin and Mark told their daughter was found?
(a) In a dumpster.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) Beside the highway.
(d) In a market.
14. What is the main reason Chinese people cite for the necessity of the population-control policies?
(a) Economic development.
(b) Scarcity of natural resources.
(c) Family stability.
(d) Fear of another famine.
15. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(b) Tai chi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
2. What is a regional delicacy in Guangzhou that Karin is told tastes like peanuts?
3. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
4. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
5. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)