|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
2. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) "Chinese Pearls."
(b) "The Lost Generation."
(c) "Chinese Flowers."
(d) Her daughter's "sisters."
3. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) An electric fan.
(b) A changing table.
(c) A rocking chair.
(d) A makeshift crib.
4. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Deng Xiaoping.
(c) Mao Zedong.
(d) Jiang Zemin.
5. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The Mao Dynasty.
(b) The New Deal.
(c) The Great Leap Forward.
(d) The Golden Age.
6. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(d) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
7. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(a) Los Angeles.
8. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White dolphins.
(b) White cranes.
(c) White whales.
(d) White goats.
9. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
10. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
(b) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(c) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(d) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
11. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
12. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
(a) Mark is promoted.
(b) Mark and Karin close on a new house.
(c) Karin's father's funeral.
(d) Mark's brother's wedding.
13. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
(a) An application.
(b) An intervention.
(c) A contract.
(d) A referral.
14. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
15. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Chosen boys."
(b) "Daughter disappointment."
(c) "Boy preference."
(d) "Son preference."
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
2. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
3. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
4. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
5. What is a "hukou"?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)