|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The doorkeeper.
(b) The cook.
(c) The groundskeeper.
(d) The housekeeper.
2. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
3. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A baby doll.
(b) A green cup.
(c) A stuffed bear.
(d) A blue block.
4. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
5. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
(a) The midwife's hand.
(b) A pillow.
(c) A blanket.
6. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
(a) A diary.
(c) Notes for a writing assignment.
(d) Letters to her future child.
7. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
(a) Between grandparents and grandchildren.
(b) Between parent and child.
(c) Between siblings.
(d) Between spouses.
8. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
9. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Little Education.
(b) Slight Change.
(c) Little Jade.
(d) Little Flower.
10. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(c) Tai chi.
11. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
(a) Her child's birth mother.
(d) Chinese citizens.
12. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
(a) Birth smugglers.
(b) Birth guerrillas.
(c) Birth vigilantes.
(d) Baby guerrillas.
13. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
14. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(b) Los Angeles.
15. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 30 million.
(b) 3 million.
(c) 13 million.
(d) 300 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
2. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
3. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
4. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
5. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)