|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
2. Who is China's second sage?
(b) Kublai Khan.
(c) Mao Zedong.
3. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
(a) A diary.
(c) Letters to her future child.
(d) Notes for a writing assignment.
4. What does it mean when the street vendors call "you liangge yo-o-o"?
(b) "There are two of them!"
(c) "They are blond!"
(d) "Look, Americans!"
5. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
6. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(b) Los Angeles.
7. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
(a) Abandoned babies.
(b) Human trafficking in young women.
(d) Forced abortions.
8. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) A photograph.
(b) She is handed to them.
(c) They see her through a window.
(d) Her footprint.
9. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
10. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
11. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
(a) Birth smugglers.
(b) Birth vigilantes.
(c) Baby guerrillas.
(d) Birth guerrillas.
12. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
(a) The Kentucky Fried Colonel.
(d) The Golden Arches.
13. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A jade Buddha.
(b) A silver Buddha.
(c) A jade star.
(d) A silver heart.
14. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A puppy.
(c) A baby.
(d) A kitten.
15. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Son preference."
(b) "Daughter disappointment."
(c) "Boy preference."
(d) "Chosen boys."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the author's daughter born?
2. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
3. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
4. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
5. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)