|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(b) Mao Zedong.
(d) Jiang Zemin.
2. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(c) Tai chi.
3. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
4. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Little Education.
(b) Slight Change.
(c) Little Jade.
(d) Little Flower.
5. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A baby doll.
(b) A blue block.
(c) A green cup.
(d) A stuffed bear.
6. Who is China's second sage?
(a) Kublai Khan.
(c) Mao Zedong.
7. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(b) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(c) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(d) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
8. Who are "pleaders"?
(a) Women who wanted more than one child.
(b) Women who begged to keep their children.
(c) Men who wanted multiple children to work the land.
(d) Men who were desperate for a son.
9. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
(a) Abandoned babies.
(c) Forced abortions.
(d) Human trafficking in young women.
10. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
(a) Chinese Buddha.
(b) China Doll.
(c) Paper Moon.
(d) China Moon.
11. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(c) Hong Kong.
12. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The umbilical cord.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) The placenta.
(d) A lock of hair.
13. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
(a) An adoption decree.
(b) A birth certificate.
(c) A marriage license.
(d) A birth permission paper.
14. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
15. What is the main reason Chinese people cite for the necessity of the population-control policies?
(a) Fear of another famine.
(b) Scarcity of natural resources.
(c) Economic development.
(d) Family stability.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
2. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
3. What is a "hutang"?
4. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
5. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)