|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) They see her through a window.
(b) A photograph.
(c) She is handed to them.
(d) Her footprint.
2. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
3. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A blue block.
(c) A green cup.
(d) A baby doll.
4. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A friend's family.
(c) A fortune teller.
(d) Distant relatives.
5. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
(a) Her own memoirs.
(b) A story about her birth parents.
(c) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(d) A way to tell her about the culture from which she came.
6. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(b) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(c) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
(d) "Show no emotion."
7. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(b) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(c) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
(d) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
8. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "The Brady Bunch."
(b) "Leave It to Beaver."
(c) "The Partridge Family."
(d) "Little Rascals."
9. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
(a) Between grandparents and grandchildren.
(b) Between siblings.
(c) Between parent and child.
(d) Between spouses.
10. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
11. Who are "pleaders"?
(a) Men who were desperate for a son.
(b) Women who wanted more than one child.
(c) Women who begged to keep their children.
(d) Men who wanted multiple children to work the land.
12. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
(a) Mao Zedong.
(b) Jiang Zemin.
(c) Chiang Kai-shek.
(d) Deng Xiaoping.
13. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 30 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 13 million.
(d) 3 million.
14. Who is Mei Li?
(a) An old friend of Karin's.
(b) Their new baby.
(c) Their baby's birth mother.
(d) The head of the orphanage.
15. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(d) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
2. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
3. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
4. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
5. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)