|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
(a) Long-term job security.
(b) Rural China.
(c) A type of food-stamp program.
(d) A popular set of dishes.
2. What is a regional delicacy in Guangzhou that Karin is told tastes like peanuts?
(a) Fried grasshoppers.
(b) Fried moths.
(c) Fried mulberry leaves.
(d) Fried silkworms.
3. What does the author say the book is for a general audience?
(a) A way to tell about the culture from which these Chinese girls came.
(b) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(c) Her own memoirs.
(d) True stories about birth parents.
4. Where is the author's daughter born?
(a) Pearl River Delta.
(d) Szechuan Province.
5. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A baby doll.
(c) A blue block.
(d) A green cup.
6. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) A makeshift crib.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) An electric fan.
(d) A changing table.
7. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
8. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(b) Hong Kong.
9. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
10. Who is China's second sage?
(a) Kublai Khan.
(b) Mao Zedong.
11. What is a "hukou"?
(a) A residence registration card.
(b) A marriage license.
(c) An adoption decree.
(d) A birth permission paper.
12. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
(a) An ostrich.
(b) An airplane.
(c) A tree.
(d) An elephant.
13. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
14. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
15. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 300 million.
(b) 30 million.
(c) 13 million.
(d) 3 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
2. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
3. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
4. Where are Karin and Mark told their daughter was found?
5. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)