|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A kitten.
(d) A baby.
2. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The groundskeeper.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) The cook.
(d) The doorkeeper.
3. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Little Flower.
(b) Little Education.
(c) Little Jade.
(d) Slight Change.
4. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
(b) Chinese citizens.
(d) Her child's birth mother.
5. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
(a) "Extra mouth."
(b) "Treasured one."
(c) "Bring a little brother."
(d) "Not a boy."
6. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) She is handed to them.
(b) A photograph.
(c) Her footprint.
(d) They see her through a window.
7. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
8. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
9. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
(b) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
(c) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
(d) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
10. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
11. Which of these is NOT an item mentioned as having been found with an abandoned baby?
(a) A bag of rice.
(b) A yam.
(c) String bracelets.
(d) A stuffed panda bear.
12. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 13 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 3 million.
(d) 30 million.
13. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(c) Los Angeles.
14. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
(a) A way to tell her about the culture from which she came.
(b) Her own memoirs.
(c) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(d) A story about her birth parents.
15. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
2. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
3. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
4. What are the "baiji"?
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)