|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A baby.
2. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The placenta.
(b) The umbilical cord.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) An offering to the gods.
3. Who is Mei Li?
(a) Their baby's birth mother.
(b) Their new baby.
(c) An old friend of Karin's.
(d) The head of the orphanage.
4. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "Little Rascals."
(b) "The Partridge Family."
(c) "Leave It to Beaver."
(d) "The Brady Bunch."
5. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) Her daughter's "sisters."
(b) "The Lost Generation."
(c) "Chinese Flowers."
(d) "Chinese Pearls."
6. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
7. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
8. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
(a) Two single parents of Chinese adoptees married.
(b) Three sisters who each adopted a baby.
(c) An adoptee from China who adopted a baby from China.
(d) A mother and daughter who each adopted a baby.
9. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
(a) Between spouses.
(b) Between siblings.
(c) Between grandparents and grandchildren.
(d) Between parent and child.
10. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Three months.
11. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 3 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 30 million.
(d) 13 million.
12. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Slight Change.
(b) Little Flower.
(c) Little Education.
(d) Little Jade.
13. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A jade Buddha.
(b) A jade star.
(c) A silver Buddha.
(d) A silver heart.
14. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(b) Other adoptive parents.
(c) Their families.
(d) The clergy.
15. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
2. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
3. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
4. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
5. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)