|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is China's second sage?
(b) Kublai Khan.
(d) Mao Zedong.
2. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(b) A baby bootie.
(c) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(d) A soapstone Buddha.
3. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
4. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) One year.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
5. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(b) "Growing Up Orphans."
(c) "China's Lost Children."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
6. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) The cook.
(c) The groundskeeper.
(d) The doorkeeper.
7. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(b) "Show no emotion."
(c) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
(d) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
8. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) Her daughter's "sisters."
(b) "The Lost Generation."
(c) "Chinese Pearls."
(d) "Chinese Flowers."
9. How many people are estimated to have died during the disaster that occurred in the late 1950s?
(a) 13 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 30 million.
(d) 3 million.
10. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
(a) An elephant.
(b) An ostrich.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A tree.
11. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The umbilical cord.
(b) The placenta.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) An offering to the gods.
12. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
(a) Mao Zedong.
(b) Deng Xiaoping.
(c) Jiang Zemin.
(d) Chiang Kai-shek.
13. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) Their families.
(c) Other adoptive parents.
(d) The clergy.
14. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
15. Where is the author's daughter born?
(a) Pearl River Delta.
(b) Szechuan Province.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hutang"?
2. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
3. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
4. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)