|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
(b) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
(c) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
(d) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
2. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
(a) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(b) Her own memoirs.
(c) A way to tell her about the culture from which she came.
(d) A story about her birth parents.
3. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
4. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "The Dying Rooms."
(b) "China's Lost Children."
(c) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(d) "Growing Up Orphans."
5. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
(b) Her child's birth mother.
(c) Chinese citizens.
6. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
7. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
(a) An adoptee from China who adopted a baby from China.
(b) Two single parents of Chinese adoptees married.
(c) Three sisters who each adopted a baby.
(d) A mother and daughter who each adopted a baby.
8. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(c) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
(d) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
9. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
10. What is the meaning of the surname "Jiang," given to the babies at Kelly's orphanage?
11. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A puppy.
(c) A baby.
(d) A kitten.
12. What is a "hutang"?
(a) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(b) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
(c) A Chinese dumpling dish.
(d) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
13. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
(b) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(c) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(d) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
14. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A baby doll.
(b) A green cup.
(c) A stuffed bear.
(d) A blue block.
15. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
(a) Human trafficking in young women.
(b) Forced abortions.
(c) Abandoned babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the author's daughter born?
2. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
3. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
4. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
5. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)