|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 3 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 30 million.
(d) 13 million.
2. How many people are estimated to have died during the disaster that occurred in the late 1950s?
(a) 3 million.
(b) 30 million.
(c) 13 million.
(d) 300 million.
3. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
4. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(b) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
(c) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
5. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "Leave It to Beaver."
(b) "Little Rascals."
(c) "The Brady Bunch."
(d) "The Partridge Family."
6. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
(a) Long-term job security.
(b) A type of food-stamp program.
(c) Rural China.
(d) A popular set of dishes.
7. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
8. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
9. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
10. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
(a) The Golden Arches.
(b) The Kentucky Fried Colonel.
11. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A silver Buddha.
(b) A silver heart.
(c) A jade star.
(d) A jade Buddha.
12. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
(c) Poison by agricultural pesticide.
13. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The doorkeeper.
(b) The groundskeeper.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) The cook.
14. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One year.
15. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) "The Lost Generation."
(b) "Chinese Pearls."
(c) "Chinese Flowers."
(d) Her daughter's "sisters."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
2. Who is Mei Li?
3. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
4. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)