|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) They see her through a window.
(b) She is handed to them.
(c) A photograph.
(d) Her footprint.
2. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Three months.
3. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
4. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
5. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Slight Change.
(b) Little Flower.
(c) Little Education.
(d) Little Jade.
6. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
(a) A referral.
(b) An intervention.
(c) An application.
(d) A contract.
7. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
8. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(c) Mao Zedong.
(d) Jiang Zemin.
9. Who is Mei Li?
(a) An old friend of Karin's.
(b) Their new baby.
(c) The head of the orphanage.
(d) Their baby's birth mother.
10. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
11. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
12. What is a "hutang"?
(a) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(b) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
(c) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(d) A Chinese dumpling dish.
13. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The Mao Dynasty.
(b) The New Deal.
(c) The Golden Age.
(d) The Great Leap Forward.
14. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Son preference."
(b) "Boy preference."
(c) "Chosen boys."
(d) "Daughter disappointment."
15. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
(a) Jiang Zemin.
(b) Mao Zedong.
(c) Deng Xiaoping.
(d) Chiang Kai-shek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
2. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
3. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
4. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
5. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)