|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
(b) Hong Kong.
(d) In the United States.
2. How many people are estimated to have died during the disaster that occurred in the late 1950s?
(a) 13 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 3 million.
(d) 30 million.
3. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(c) Tai chi.
4. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The Great Leap Forward.
(b) The Golden Age.
(c) The Mao Dynasty.
(d) The New Deal.
5. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
(b) Notes for a writing assignment.
(c) Letters to her future child.
(d) A diary.
6. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
(a) Jiang Zemin.
(b) Deng Xiaoping.
(c) Mao Zedong.
(d) Chiang Kai-shek.
7. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
8. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A blue block.
(c) A green cup.
(d) A baby doll.
9. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
(b) Along roads.
(d) Railroad stations.
10. What does it mean when the street vendors call "you liangge yo-o-o"?
(a) "Look, Americans!"
(c) "They are blond!"
(d) "There are two of them!"
11. According to a folk tale Karin read, what are adopted children in China sometimes called?
(a) Children of the mulberry bug.
(b) Boll worm babies.
(c) Mulberry wasps.
(d) Children of the wasps.
12. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "Leave It to Beaver."
(b) "Little Rascals."
(c) "The Brady Bunch."
(d) "The Partridge Family."
13. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(b) "China's Lost Children."
(c) "Growing Up Orphans."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
14. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
15. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
2. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
3. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
4. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
5. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)