|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
(a) Eight muberry trees sprouted spontaneously.
(b) Six goats came from the sky with grains of rice.
(c) Six cows came from Beijing bearing mulberry tree seeds.
(d) Eight cranes flew in with grains of rice.
2. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The groundskeeper.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) The doorkeeper.
(d) The cook.
3. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
4. How many people are estimated to have died during the disaster that occurred in the late 1950s?
(a) 3 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 30 million.
(d) 13 million.
5. Who are "pleaders"?
(a) Women who begged to keep their children.
(b) Women who wanted more than one child.
(c) Men who wanted multiple children to work the land.
(d) Men who were desperate for a son.
6. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
(b) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
(c) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
(d) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
7. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
(a) An adoption decree.
(b) A birth certificate.
(c) A birth permission paper.
(d) A marriage license.
8. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(b) Los Angeles.
9. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(b) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(c) A soapstone Buddha.
(d) A baby bootie.
10. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
11. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
(b) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(c) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(d) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
12. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
(b) A pillow.
(c) The midwife's hand.
(d) A blanket.
13. What does the author say the book is for a general audience?
(a) A way to tell about the culture from which these Chinese girls came.
(b) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(c) True stories about birth parents.
(d) Her own memoirs.
14. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
(a) 100 million.
(b) 17 million.
(c) 7 million.
(d) 70 million.
15. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
2. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
3. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
4. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
5. Who is Mei Li?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)