Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
2. What is a "hukou"?
(a) A birth permission paper.
(b) A marriage license.
(c) An adoption decree.
(d) A residence registration card.
3. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
(a) Railroad stations.
(d) Along roads.
4. Who is Mei Li?
(a) Their new baby.
(b) Their baby's birth mother.
(c) An old friend of Karin's.
(d) The head of the orphanage.
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(d) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
6. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
7. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
(a) Between siblings.
(b) Between parent and child.
(c) Between grandparents and grandchildren.
(d) Between spouses.
8. Where is the author's daughter born?
(c) Szechuan Province.
(d) Pearl River Delta.
9. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) She is handed to them.
(b) They see her through a window.
(c) Her footprint.
(d) A photograph.
10. Who is China's second sage?
(a) Kublai Khan.
(c) Mao Zedong.
11. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
12. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(b) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
(c) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(d) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
13. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
(b) "Show no emotion."
(c) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(d) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
14. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Little Jade.
(b) Little Flower.
(c) Little Education.
(d) Slight Change.
15. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
Short Answer Questions
1. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
2. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
3. How many people are estimated to have died during the disaster that occurred in the late 1950s?
4. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
5. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)