|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(d) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
2. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
3. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(a) Mao Zedong.
(b) Jiang Zemin.
4. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(c) Hong Kong.
5. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) A rocking chair.
(b) An electric fan.
(c) A changing table.
(d) A makeshift crib.
6. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
7. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
(a) A credit check.
(b) Passing a home study by a social worker.
(c) Clearance from the INS.
(d) FBI fingerprinting.
8. What does it mean when the street vendors call "you liangge yo-o-o"?
(b) "They are blond!"
(c) "There are two of them!"
(d) "Look, Americans!"
9. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Show no emotion."
(b) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(c) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(d) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
10. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
11. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) The clergy.
(b) Their families.
(d) Other adoptive parents.
12. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
(a) Baby guerrillas.
(b) Birth vigilantes.
(c) Birth smugglers.
(d) Birth guerrillas.
13. What is the meaning of the surname "Jiang," given to the babies at Kelly's orphanage?
14. What is a "hutang"?
(a) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(b) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
(c) A Chinese dumpling dish.
(d) A small meal including tea and crackers.
15. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
2. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
3. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
4. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
5. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)