|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "Leave It to Beaver."
(b) "The Brady Bunch."
(c) "Little Rascals."
(d) "The Partridge Family."
2. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
3. Where is the author's daughter born?
(a) Szechuan Province.
(b) Pearl River Delta.
4. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
5. What is a "hukou"?
(a) An adoption decree.
(b) A birth permission paper.
(c) A residence registration card.
(d) A marriage license.
6. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
(a) Chinese citizens.
(c) Her child's birth mother.
7. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) A makeshift crib.
(b) A changing table.
(c) An electric fan.
(d) A rocking chair.
8. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
9. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A civil war.
(c) A drought.
(d) A famine.
10. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(b) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(c) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(d) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
11. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
12. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The umbilical cord.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) The placenta.
13. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(a) Mao Zedong.
(b) Jiang Zemin.
14. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White cranes.
(b) White whales.
(c) White goats.
(d) White dolphins.
15. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) Their families.
(c) Other adoptive parents.
(d) The clergy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
2. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
3. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
4. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
5. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)