|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(c) Hong Kong.
2. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White dolphins.
(b) White cranes.
(c) White whales.
(d) White goats.
3. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
(c) Chinese citizens.
(d) Her child's birth mother.
4. What is a regional delicacy in Guangzhou that Karin is told tastes like peanuts?
(a) Fried grasshoppers.
(b) Fried moths.
(c) Fried silkworms.
(d) Fried mulberry leaves.
5. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
6. According to a folk tale Karin read, what are adopted children in China sometimes called?
(a) Boll worm babies.
(b) Children of the mulberry bug.
(c) Children of the wasps.
(d) Mulberry wasps.
7. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
8. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The New Deal.
(b) The Great Leap Forward.
(c) The Mao Dynasty.
(d) The Golden Age.
9. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
(a) FBI fingerprinting.
(b) A credit check.
(c) Clearance from the INS.
(d) Passing a home study by a social worker.
10. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
(a) China Doll.
(b) China Moon.
(c) Chinese Buddha.
(d) Paper Moon.
11. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
(a) 70 million.
(b) 7 million.
(c) 17 million.
(d) 100 million.
12. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
13. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) The clergy.
(c) Other adoptive parents.
(d) Their families.
14. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The umbilical cord.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) An offering to the gods.
(d) The placenta.
15. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) "Chinese Flowers."
(b) "Chinese Pearls."
(c) Her daughter's "sisters."
(d) "The Lost Generation."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
2. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
3. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
4. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
5. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)