|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(a) Jiang Zemin.
(b) Mao Zedong.
2. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(b) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(c) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(d) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
3. What is a "hutang"?
(a) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(b) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(c) A Chinese dumpling dish.
(d) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
4. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
5. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
(a) "Treasured one."
(b) "Bring a little brother."
(c) "Extra mouth."
(d) "Not a boy."
6. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
(a) A popular set of dishes.
(b) Long-term job security.
(c) A type of food-stamp program.
(d) Rural China.
7. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
(a) A way to tell her about the culture from which she came.
(b) Her own memoirs.
(c) A story about her birth parents.
(d) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
8. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
9. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
(b) A blanket.
(c) A pillow.
(d) The midwife's hand.
10. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
11. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(b) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
(c) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
(d) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
12. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
13. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
14. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A baby.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
15. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(d) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
2. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
3. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
4. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
5. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)