|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
2. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
3. According to a folk tale Karin read, what are adopted children in China sometimes called?
(a) Children of the mulberry bug.
(b) Children of the wasps.
(c) Boll worm babies.
(d) Mulberry wasps.
4. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
5. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
(c) Along roads.
(d) Railroad stations.
6. Who is China's second sage?
(b) Mao Zedong.
(d) Kublai Khan.
7. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Eighteen months.
8. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 3 million.
(b) 13 million.
(c) 30 million.
(d) 300 million.
9. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
(a) A contract.
(b) An intervention.
(c) An application.
(d) A referral.
10. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
11. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
(a) Six cows came from Beijing bearing mulberry tree seeds.
(b) Six goats came from the sky with grains of rice.
(c) Eight cranes flew in with grains of rice.
(d) Eight muberry trees sprouted spontaneously.
12. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(d) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
13. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A green cup.
(c) A blue block.
(d) A baby doll.
14. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) A makeshift crib.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A changing table.
(d) An electric fan.
15. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The groundskeeper.
(b) The cook.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) The doorkeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mei Li?
2. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
3. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
4. Where is the author's daughter born?
5. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)