|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
2. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
3. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
(a) "Not a boy."
(b) "Bring a little brother."
(c) "Treasured one."
(d) "Extra mouth."
4. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
(a) Notes for a writing assignment.
(c) A diary.
(d) Letters to her future child.
5. Where are Karin and Mark told their daughter was found?
(a) In a dumpster.
(b) Beside the highway.
(c) In a market.
(d) Under a bridge.
6. Who are "pleaders"?
(a) Women who wanted more than one child.
(b) Men who were desperate for a son.
(c) Men who wanted multiple children to work the land.
(d) Women who begged to keep their children.
7. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
(b) Rio de Janeiro.
(c) Hong Kong.
8. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
9. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
(a) An adoption decree.
(b) A birth permission paper.
(c) A birth certificate.
(d) A marriage license.
10. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
11. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A jade star.
(b) A silver Buddha.
(c) A jade Buddha.
(d) A silver heart.
12. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
(a) Karin's father's funeral.
(b) Mark and Karin close on a new house.
(c) Mark is promoted.
(d) Mark's brother's wedding.
13. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Children."
(b) "Growing Up Orphans."
(c) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
14. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
15. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is China's second sage?
2. Who is Mei Li?
3. What human tie does Evans call one of the deepest possible?
4. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
5. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)