|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(b) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
(d) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
2. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(b) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(c) "Show no emotion."
(d) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
3. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
(b) Trump's Castle Casino Resort.
(d) Disney World.
4. Who is Mei Li?
(a) The head of the orphanage.
(b) An old friend of Karin's.
(c) Their new baby.
(d) Their baby's birth mother.
5. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(a) Tai chi.
6. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
7. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
8. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
9. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) She is handed to them.
(b) A photograph.
(c) They see her through a window.
(d) Her footprint.
10. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
(a) A makeshift crib.
(b) An electric fan.
(c) A rocking chair.
(d) A changing table.
11. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Children."
(b) "Growing Up Orphans."
(c) "The Dying Rooms."
(d) "Abandoned and Unloved."
12. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) Her daughter's "sisters."
(b) "Chinese Pearls."
(c) "Chinese Flowers."
(d) "The Lost Generation."
13. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) The clergy.
(c) Other adoptive parents.
(d) Their families.
14. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White cranes.
(b) White goats.
(c) White dolphins.
(d) White whales.
15. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A baby.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
2. What is a "shengyu zheng"?
3. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
4. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
5. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)