|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the book is for a general audience?
(a) A way to tell about the culture from which these Chinese girls came.
(b) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(c) True stories about birth parents.
(d) Her own memoirs.
2. What is the main reason Chinese people cite for the necessity of the population-control policies?
(a) Economic development.
(b) Scarcity of natural resources.
(c) Family stability.
(d) Fear of another famine.
3. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
(a) Poison by agricultural pesticide.
4. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(c) Tai chi.
5. What are the "baiji"?
(a) White dolphins.
(b) White cranes.
(c) White whales.
(d) White goats.
6. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
(b) In the United States.
(d) Hong Kong.
7. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
8. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
9. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
(a) The midwife's hand.
(b) A pillow.
(d) A blanket.
10. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(d) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
11. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(b) A soapstone Buddha.
(c) A baby bootie.
(d) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
12. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Children."
(b) "The Dying Rooms."
(c) "Growing Up Orphans."
(d) "Abandoned and Unloved."
13. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
(a) Trump's Castle Casino Resort.
(d) Disney World.
14. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
15. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
(a) Along roads.
(c) Railroad stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mei Li?
2. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
3. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
4. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
5. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)