|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
2. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
(a) Letters to her future child.
(b) Notes for a writing assignment.
(c) A diary.
3. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(d) Hong Kong.
4. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "Growing Up Orphans."
(b) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(c) "China's Lost Children."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
5. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
(a) Railroad stations.
(d) Along roads.
6. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
(a) 300 million.
(b) 30 million.
(c) 3 million.
(d) 13 million.
7. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A jade star.
(b) A silver heart.
(c) A jade Buddha.
(d) A silver Buddha.
8. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
(a) Six cows came from Beijing bearing mulberry tree seeds.
(b) Eight cranes flew in with grains of rice.
(c) Eight muberry trees sprouted spontaneously.
(d) Six goats came from the sky with grains of rice.
9. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Mao Zedong.
(c) Jiang Zemin.
(d) Deng Xiaoping.
10. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A baby.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
11. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
(a) An ostrich.
(b) A tree.
(c) An airplane.
(d) An elephant.
12. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
13. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Daughter disappointment."
(b) "Son preference."
(c) "Chosen boys."
(d) "Boy preference."
14. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
(c) The Kentucky Fried Colonel.
(d) The Golden Arches.
15. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
(a) The midwife's hand.
(b) A pillow.
(d) A blanket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
2. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
3. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
4. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
5. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)