|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through East-West Lives.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
(a) Abandoned babies.
(c) Forced abortions.
(d) Human trafficking in young women.
2. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
(a) A credit check.
(b) Passing a home study by a social worker.
(c) Clearance from the INS.
(d) FBI fingerprinting.
3. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
(c) Rio de Janeiro.
(d) Hong Kong.
4. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
(a) Rural China.
(b) Long-term job security.
(c) A popular set of dishes.
(d) A type of food-stamp program.
5. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Children."
(b) "Growing Up Orphans."
(c) "Abandoned and Unloved."
(d) "The Dying Rooms."
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
2. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
3. How many people are estimated to have died during the disaster that occurred in the late 1950s?
4. What is the main reason Chinese people cite for the necessity of the population-control policies?
5. Where is Karin when she has her first brush with the reality of her child not resembling her physically?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)