|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through East-West Lives.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
(a) Apollo Ono.
(b) Kristi Yamaguchi.
(c) Michelle Wie.
(d) Michelle Kwan.
2. In what type of church is the tiger-costume event held?
3. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
(b) Letters to her future child.
(c) Notes for a writing assignment.
(d) A diary.
4. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The cook.
(b) The doorkeeper.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) The groundskeeper.
5. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The placenta.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) The umbilical cord.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
2. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
3. What does Evans cite as all children's worst enemy?
4. What is the meaning of the surname "Jiang," given to the babies at Kelly's orphanage?
5. Who are "pleaders"?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)