|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
2. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
3. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) An offering to the gods.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) The umbilical cord.
(d) The placenta.
4. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A silver heart.
(b) A jade star.
(c) A silver Buddha.
(d) A jade Buddha.
5. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
(a) A puppy.
(c) A baby.
(d) A kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
2. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
3. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
4. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
5. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)