|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) "The Lost Generation."
(b) "Chinese Flowers."
(c) "Chinese Pearls."
(d) Her daughter's "sisters."
2. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(b) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(c) A soapstone Buddha.
(d) A baby bootie.
3. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
4. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
(a) Baby guerrillas.
(b) Birth smugglers.
(c) Birth vigilantes.
(d) Birth guerrillas.
5. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
(a) A fortune teller.
(b) Distant relatives.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A friend's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
2. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
3. According to a folk tale Karin read, what are adopted children in China sometimes called?
4. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
5. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)