|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
(c) Los Angeles.
2. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
(a) "The Dying Rooms."
(b) "Growing Up Orphans."
(c) "China's Lost Children."
(d) "Abandoned and Unloved."
3. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Daughter disappointment."
(b) "Chosen boys."
(c) "Boy preference."
(d) "Son preference."
4. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
5. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) They see her through a window.
(b) Her footprint.
(c) A photograph.
(d) She is handed to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
2. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
3. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
4. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)