|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
(b) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(c) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
(d) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
2. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
3. What is a "hutang"?
(a) A Chinese dumpling dish.
(b) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(c) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(d) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
4. Which of these is NOT an item mentioned as having been found with an abandoned baby?
(a) String bracelets.
(b) A bag of rice.
(c) A yam.
(d) A stuffed panda bear.
5. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(b) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(c) A soapstone Buddha.
(d) A baby bootie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the book is for a general audience?
2. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
3. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
4. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
5. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)