|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
(a) Mark and Karin close on a new house.
(b) Mark is promoted.
(c) Mark's brother's wedding.
(d) Karin's father's funeral.
2. Where is the author's daughter born?
(c) Pearl River Delta.
(d) Szechuan Province.
3. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(b) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(c) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(d) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
4. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Daughter disappointment."
(b) "Boy preference."
(c) "Son preference."
(d) "Chosen boys."
5. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a folk tale Karin read, what are adopted children in China sometimes called?
2. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
3. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
4. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
5. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)