|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Three months.
2. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
3. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
4. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Show no emotion."
(b) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(c) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(d) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
5. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) The umbilical cord.
(c) The placenta.
(d) An offering to the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
2. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
3. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
4. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
5. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)