|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
2. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "The Partridge Family."
(b) "The Brady Bunch."
(c) "Leave It to Beaver."
(d) "Little Rascals."
3. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(b) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
(c) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
4. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A baby doll.
(c) A green cup.
(d) A blue block.
5. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
(a) Six goats came from the sky with grains of rice.
(b) Eight cranes flew in with grains of rice.
(c) Six cows came from Beijing bearing mulberry tree seeds.
(d) Eight muberry trees sprouted spontaneously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
2. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
3. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
4. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
5. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)