|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(b) A baby bootie.
(c) A soapstone Buddha.
(d) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
2. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
(a) "Treasured one."
(b) "Extra mouth."
(c) "Bring a little brother."
(d) "Not a boy."
3. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
(a) Her own memoirs.
(b) A way to tell her about the culture from which she came.
(c) A story about her birth parents.
(d) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
4. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
(a) An application.
(b) An intervention.
(c) A referral.
(d) A contract.
5. What is a "hutang"?
(a) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
(b) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(c) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(d) A Chinese dumpling dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an item mentioned as having been found with an abandoned baby?
2. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
3. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
4. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
5. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)