|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an item mentioned as having been found with an abandoned baby?
(a) String bracelets.
(b) A stuffed panda bear.
(c) A yam.
(d) A bag of rice.
2. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
(a) "The Brady Bunch."
(b) "The Partridge Family."
(c) "Little Rascals."
(d) "Leave It to Beaver."
3. What does the author say the book is for a general audience?
(a) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(b) True stories about birth parents.
(c) Her own memoirs.
(d) A way to tell about the culture from which these Chinese girls came.
4. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
(c) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(d) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
5. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
(a) Hong Kong.
(b) In the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
2. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
3. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
4. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
5. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)