|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(a) Tai chi.
2. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
(b) The Kentucky Fried Colonel.
(c) The Golden Arches.
3. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
(a) In the United States.
(d) Hong Kong.
4. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
(a) The placenta.
(b) The umbilical cord.
(c) An offering to the gods.
(d) A lock of hair.
5. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A baby bootie.
(b) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(c) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(d) A soapstone Buddha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
2. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
3. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
4. What does Karin think is in the bundle a young woman tries to give her?
5. What are the "baiji"?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)