|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to the East.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
(a) An ostrich.
(b) An elephant.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A tree.
2. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A soapstone Buddha.
(b) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(c) A baby bootie.
(d) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
3. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
(a) "Chinese Flowers."
(b) "The Lost Generation."
(c) Her daughter's "sisters."
(d) "Chinese Pearls."
4. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
5. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
(a) A mother and daughter who each adopted a baby.
(b) An adoptee from China who adopted a baby from China.
(c) Three sisters who each adopted a baby.
(d) Two single parents of Chinese adoptees married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
2. How old is the child that will be Karin and Mark's daughter when they receive their referral?
3. Where is the author's daughter born?
4. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
5. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)