|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these groups is NOT one the author and her husband sought support from?
(a) Other adoptive parents.
(c) The clergy.
(d) Their families.
2. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
3. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
(a) Karin's father's funeral.
(b) Mark's brother's wedding.
(c) Mark and Karin close on a new house.
(d) Mark is promoted.
4. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
(a) Eight muberry trees sprouted spontaneously.
(b) Six cows came from Beijing bearing mulberry tree seeds.
(c) Eight cranes flew in with grains of rice.
(d) Six goats came from the sky with grains of rice.
5. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
(a) Distant relatives.
(b) A fortune teller.
(c) A friend's family.
(d) A seamstress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
2. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
3. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
4. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
5. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)