|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "hutang"?
(a) A small meal including tea and crackers.
(b) A popular stuffed infant toy in China.
(c) An old, walled Chinese neighborhood.
(d) A Chinese dumpling dish.
2. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
(c) Hong Kong.
3. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
(a) Daddy Warbucks, "Annie."
(b) Mr. Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Dr. Huxtable, "The Cosby Show."
(d) Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
4. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) One week.
5. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The Mao Dynasty.
(b) The Great Leap Forward.
(c) The Golden Age.
(d) The New Deal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the surname "Jiang," given to the babies at Kelly's orphanage?
2. What does Karin put in the notebook decorated with Chinese characters?
3. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
4. What does the author say the book is for a general audience?
5. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)