|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Boy preference."
(b) "Chosen boys."
(c) "Son preference."
(d) "Daughter disappointment."
2. How many Chinese girls are flown into the United States every month?
3. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) The doorkeeper.
(c) The cook.
(d) The groundskeeper.
4. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
5. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
(b) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
(c) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
(d) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a regional delicacy in Guangzhou that Karin is told tastes like peanuts?
2. What are the "baiji"?
3. Which of these places is NOT mentioned as a new home of a Chinese baby?
4. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
5. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)