|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
(a) "Of Mice and Men," John Steinbeck.
(b) "Uncle Tom's Cabin," Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) "Look Homeward Angel," Thomas Wolfe.
(d) "Jane Eyre," Charlotte Bronte.
2. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One day.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
3. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
(a) Rio de Janeiro.
(b) Hong Kong.
4. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
(a) Jiang Zemin.
(c) Mao Zedong.
5. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
(a) Little Flower.
(b) Slight Change.
(c) Little Jade.
(d) Little Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
2. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
3. What is the meaning of the surname "Jiang," given to the babies at Kelly's orphanage?
4. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
5. Who is China's second sage?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)