|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
(a) 17 million.
(b) 100 million.
(c) 70 million.
(d) 7 million.
2. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A baby doll.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A green cup.
(d) A blue block.
3. What does the author say the book is for her daughter?
(a) Her own memoirs.
(b) A way to fill in the blanks of an important human interaction.
(c) A way to tell her about the culture from which she came.
(d) A story about her birth parents.
4. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
(b) Rio de Janeiro.
(c) Hong Kong.
5. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
2. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
3. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
4. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
5. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)