|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Down the River.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A baby bootie.
(b) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(c) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(d) A soapstone Buddha.
2. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
(c) Poison by agricultural pesticide.
3. How old is the author's daughter when they adopt her?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
4. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(b) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
(c) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(d) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
5. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The New Deal.
(b) The Great Leap Forward.
(c) The Golden Age.
(d) The Mao Dynasty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
2. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
3. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
4. What unusual circumstances involving Chinese adoption exists in one Southern family?
5. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)