|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
(b) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
(c) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
(d) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
2. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
(a) Long-term job security.
(b) A popular set of dishes.
(c) Rural China.
(d) A type of food-stamp program.
3. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
(a) "Extra mouth."
(b) "Treasured one."
(c) "Not a boy."
(d) "Bring a little brother."
4. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
(a) Birth guerrillas.
(b) Baby guerrillas.
(c) Birth vigilantes.
(d) Birth smugglers.
5. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
(a) The cook.
(b) The doorkeeper.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) The groundskeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does China change to a "one son or two child policy"?
2. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
3. Who is China's second sage?
4. What book does Karin mention is one of her favorites?
5. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)