|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the number of people in China the government admitted was too poor to afford clothes and food?
(a) 100 million.
(b) 7 million.
(c) 70 million.
(d) 17 million.
2. In what year does China loosen the restrictions demanding that adoptive parents take "special-needs" children?
3. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
4. What is the "dark side" to which Chinese journalists refer?
(a) Abandoned babies.
(b) Forced abortions.
(d) Human trafficking in young women.
5. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
(a) The Golden Arches.
(c) The Kentucky Fried Colonel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it mean when the street vendors call "you liangge yo-o-o"?
2. Which of these is NOT an interpretation of Kelly's given Chinese name?
3. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
4. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
5. What is the main reason Chinese people cite for the necessity of the population-control policies?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)