|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first glimpse Karin and Mark get of their baby?
(a) They see her through a window.
(b) A photograph.
(c) She is handed to them.
(d) Her footprint.
2. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
(b) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
(c) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
(d) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
3. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
(a) "State-run orphanage."
(b) "Home for Little Ones."
(c) "Hospice for killing infants."
(d) "Hospital for children."
4. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
(a) Baby guerrillas.
(b) Birth smugglers.
(c) Birth vigilantes.
(d) Birth guerrillas.
5. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
(a) Rural China.
(b) A popular set of dishes.
(c) Long-term job security.
(d) A type of food-stamp program.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does "The Dying Rooms" premiere on American television?
2. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
3. What is the name of Karin and Mark's new puppy?
4. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
5. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)