|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice does Karin take up to help her de-stress?
(c) Tai chi.
2. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(b) "Better Homes and Gardens."
(d) "Atlantic Monthly."
3. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
(a) Karin's father's funeral.
(b) Mark is promoted.
(c) Mark's brother's wedding.
(d) Mark and Karin close on a new house.
4. What is a regional delicacy in Guangzhou that Karin is told tastes like peanuts?
(a) Fried moths.
(b) Fried grasshoppers.
(c) Fried silkworms.
(d) Fried mulberry leaves.
5. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Daughter disappointment."
(b) "Boy preference."
(c) "Chosen boys."
(d) "Son preference."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
2. What is the first major hurdle Karin and Mark have to clear in the adoption process?
3. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
4. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
5. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)