|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(b) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(c) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
(d) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
2. What famous writer travels to Beijing to speak only to have the speech canceled at the last minute?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) John Grisham.
(c) Danielle Steel.
(d) Ha Jin.
3. What is the estimated cost of adopting a child from China?
4. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
(a) A silver Buddha.
(b) A jade Buddha.
(c) A silver heart.
(d) A jade star.
5. What is the literal translation of "shaying tang"?
(a) "Home for Little Ones."
(b) "Hospital for children."
(c) "State-run orphanage."
(d) "Hospice for killing infants."
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
2. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
3. Where are Karin and Mark told their daughter was found?
4. What is the meaning of "Xiao," the first part of all the little girls' names?
5. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)