|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(b) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
(c) "Show no emotion."
(d) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
2. What is the title of the Corky Merwin film that shows a positive side of Chinese orphanages?
(a) "China's Lost Daughters."
(b) "Sleep Tight."
(c) "Good Fortune."
(d) "China's Orphanages."
3. What organization does adoptive mother Jenny Bowen found?
(a) The Amity Foundation.
(b) Half the Sky Foundation.
(c) Welcome House.
(d) The Bowen Foundation.
4. What does it mean when the street vendors call "you liangge yo-o-o"?
(b) "They are blond!"
(c) "Look, Americans!"
(d) "There are two of them!"
5. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
(a) The Great Leap Forward.
(b) The New Deal.
(c) The Golden Age.
(d) The Mao Dynasty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hukou"?
2. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
3. In what year does the government announce its "one-child policy"?
4. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
5. What is the translation of the name given to many girls born into families without sons?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)