|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does China enact an international adoption law?
2. What does it mean when the street vendors call "you liangge yo-o-o"?
(b) "They are blond!"
(c) "Look, Americans!"
(d) "There are two of them!"
3. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
(a) "Death by Numbers."
(b) "The Dying Rooms."
(c) "The State of Chinese Orphanages."
(d) "Death by Default."
4. At one time in history, what is cut into intricate pieces that fit like puzzles so that separated family could find one another?
5. What is the main reason Chinese people cite for the necessity of the population-control policies?
(a) Family stability.
(b) Fear of another famine.
(c) Scarcity of natural resources.
(d) Economic development.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
2. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
3. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
4. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
5. According to a folk tale Karin read, what are adopted children in China sometimes called?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)