|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country is SOS Kinderdorf International based?
(d) The Czech Republic.
2. What is the common name of the system that favors boys over girls?
(a) "Son preference."
(b) "Daughter disappointment."
(c) "Chosen boys."
(d) "Boy preference."
3. What does Karin bury in her yard?
(a) A baby bootie.
(b) A carved male figure intended to bring luck in birthing a son.
(c) A laminated Catholic prayer card.
(d) A soapstone Buddha.
4. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
5. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(b) "Atlantic Monthly."
(c) "Better Homes and Gardens."
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
2. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
3. Where does Karin live in her early journalistic career?
4. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
5. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)