|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
2. What message does Max give the adoptive parents before they head out to start collecting official permissions?
(a) "Make yourself a joy to deal with."
(b) "Show no emotion."
(c) "Do not speak unless spoken to."
(d) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
3. How many wars of foreign aggression has China endured in the past 300 years?
4. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
(a) "The Good Earth," Pearl S. Buck.
(b) "Oliver Twist," Charles Dickens.
(c) "The Pearl," John Steinbeck.
(d) "Memoirs of a Geisha," Arthur Golden.
5. What is Jiang Xiao Yu holding when she meets her parents?
(a) A green cup.
(b) A blue block.
(c) A baby doll.
(d) A stuffed bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact does Evans mention about adopting children over the age of ten?
2. What is the title of Human Rights Watch/Asia's 1996 documentary?
3. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
4. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
5. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)