|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Matters of Life and Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
(a) "It is more profitable to raise geese than daughters."
(b) "Girls are maggots in the rice."
(c) "When fishing for treasures in the flood, be careful not to pull in girls."
(d) "Boys are a blessing; girls are a curse."
2. What is printed on the T-shirt Kelly wore from the orphanage?
(a) Trump's Castle Casino Resort.
(d) Disney World.
3. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
(a) "Atlantic Monthly."
(d) "Better Homes and Gardens."
4. In ancient times, what is the other meaning for the Chinese character for "wife"?
5. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization does adoptive mother Jenny Bowen found?
2. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
3. What novel does Evans mention as having a character who strangles a newborn girl?
4. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
5. How many women are forcibly sterilized during campaigns in 1983 and 1991?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)