|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Thorne tells the man who warns them about Isla Sorna, when are Thorne, Carr, and Malcolm planning to leave Isla Sorna?
2. In the trailer, whose computer system has Arby managed to hack into?
3. Just as the dinosaurs are about to pass by the high hide without incident, what catches the attention of one of the dinosaurs?
4. As Harding walks through the jungle, she climbs a tree to safety as predator dinosaurs attack another herd. How many predators attack?
5. What type of dinosaur eggs does Dodgson and his team first steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Levine is alone in the high hide after the others have gone back to the trailer to await Harding's arrival, what does Levine do that he never intended to do, and why does he think Malcolm will be upset with him?
2. How does Levine respond when Malcolm and Thorne berate him for coming to Costa Rica alone and without telling the others where he was going?
3. When the dinosaur that Arby warned the three men about sees the Explorer, what does the dinosaur do, and why?
4. Eddie wants to splint the baby dinosaur's broken leg so it won't die in the wild. Harding warns him that the cast will kill the baby, too. Why and what does Harding propose?
5. As dawn breaks and Levine waits in the store for news of Harding's progress, what does Levine suddenly remember that dawn signifies in predator territory?
6. While King has risen up through the ranks of the corporate spies, what has he struggled to do since joining Biosyn?
7. How is the dinosaur kill site that Harding sees different from anything she has seen before in Africa?
8. Why is the decision made to tag and release the baby dinosaurs on Isla Sorna?
9. How do Kelly, Malcolm, and Harding escape from the trailer?
10. Why does Malcolm discount Darwin's natural selection theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Malcolm has been greatly affected by the horrors he experienced while visiting Hammond's island. Discuss how Malcolm's past affects not only his world view, but also his decision to become involved with Levine at all. How does Malcolm's past affect his mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to be open-minded.
Essay Topic 2
Kelly and Arby have been extremely helpful to Levine as he has planned for his expedition. However, the children were never supposed to be on the island.
a. Discuss how the children's appearance affects the story in terms of the plot, the emotional involvement of the characters, and the abilities the children bring to the group.
b. The reaction to the children's unexpected appearance on the island was somewhat muted by the main characters. Why?
c. Why might Crichton have chosen to have these characters be children, not adults? What point is he trying to get across? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are many people who travel to Isla Sorna who do not leave Isla Sorna. Identify at least three people killed on the island. Compare and contrast each of these deaths being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the island's survivors?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)