|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using the video cameras that he has activated, what does Arby see on his monitor that he warns the three men is approaching their location?
2. As the people on the motorcycle chase the lone raptor, what type of dinosaur herd are they forced to drive through?
3. As the people are trying to flee from the dinosaurs pursuing them, what happens to the Jeep?
4. When the three men come upon the abandoned complex, what does Malcolm realize he is looking at?
5. Due to the weather, how will Harding have to arrive at the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Dodgson is carried off by the adult tyrannosaur, the dinosaur does not kill and eat Dodgson. Why?
2. While King has risen up through the ranks of the corporate spies, what has he struggled to do since joining Biosyn?
3. Eddie wants to splint the baby dinosaur's broken leg so it won't die in the wild. Harding warns him that the cast will kill the baby, too. Why and what does Harding propose?
4. How is the dinosaur kill site that Harding sees different from anything she has seen before in Africa?
5. As dawn breaks and Levine waits in the store for news of Harding's progress, what does Levine suddenly remember that dawn signifies in predator territory?
6. Why is the decision made to tag and release the baby dinosaurs on Isla Sorna?
7. The man who is out searching for gas begins to ponder why the raptors are not following them any longer. What is his theory?
8. How does Levine respond when Malcolm and Thorne berate him for coming to Costa Rica alone and without telling the others where he was going?
9. After the raptors roll the cage away, what does Kelly tell the others about the lone raptor that went off on its own?
10. While everyone is tending to the baby dinosaur, Levine calls in and asks to speak to Thorne privately. What does Levine tell Thorne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "The Lost World". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the creatures used in the novel, the events that unfold on the island, and the choice of Ian Malcolm as one of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
George Baselton wears different masks in the story. Both a respected Stanford professor and the mastermind behind the Isla Sorna escapade, Baselton is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Baselton. How would Baselton's master plan to steal the dinosaur eggs from Isla Sorna have been affected if he had not been seen as an above-board researcher? Why is it necessary for Baselton to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the overriding beliefs the following characters had before they went to Isla Sorna and how those beliefs were changed by the events that transpired on the island: Levine, Harding, Malcolm, and Thorne.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)