|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malcolm dresses entirely in one color. What color is it?
2. Who is the head of Biosyn?
3. With what school is the person who stands and interrupts Malcolm's lecture associated?
4. What two behaviors are of particular interest to the study of evolution?
5. What does the back trailer house?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Malcolm's speech, what is the average rate of extinction on the planet?
2. According to Victorian-era scientists, what are dinosaurs like?
3. Why do the other girls at school taunt Kelly?
4. Describe the type of behavior that is common to all complex systems.
5. Why does the tissue sample that Malcolm sends to his contact at the zoo for analysis cause a stir at the zoo?
6. What two events occur in the 1970s that cause scientists to focus their attention on extinction?
7. Why does Levine hire Kelly and Arby to run errands for him?
8. According to Malcolm's speech, what is life marked by?
9. What do the members of Malcolm's audience have in common?
10. Describe Ian Malcolm's feelings regarding the theory that the dinosaurs were wiped out by a meteor strike.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Crichton's story through the quotes used at the beginning of each configuration. How do the quotes fit with the themes and events of each configuration? What do the quotes foreshadow? Why does the author choose these particular ideas - "quotes" from Ian Malcolm - to be at the beginning of each new section?
a. First Configuration - "In the conservative region far from the chaotic edge, individual elements coalesce slowly, showing no clear pattern."
b. Second Configuration - "Self-organization elaborates in complexity as the system advances toward the chaotic edge."
c. Third Configuration - "In the intermediate phase, swiftly developing complexity within the system hides the risk of imminent chaos. But the risk is there."
d. Fourth Configuration - "Approaching the chaotic edge, elements show internal conflict. An unstable and potentially lethal region."
e. Fifth Configuration - "At the edge of chaos, unexpected outcomes occur. The risk to survival is severe."
f. Sixth Configuration - "Order collapses in simultaneous regions. Survival is now unlikely for individuals and groups."
g. Seventh Configuration - "Partial restabilization may occur after eliminating destructive elements. Survival is partly determined by chance events."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Ian Malcolm changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Malcolm's character when he first meets Richard Levine when Levine interrupts Malcolm's lecture, when Malcolm learns Levine has gone missing, when he sees the dinosaurs on the island, and when he escapes the island. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
George Baselton wears different masks in the story. Both a respected Stanford professor and the mastermind behind the Isla Sorna escapade, Baselton is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Baselton. How would Baselton's master plan to steal the dinosaur eggs from Isla Sorna have been affected if he had not been seen as an above-board researcher? Why is it necessary for Baselton to wear different masks?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)