|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Malcolm's speech, how many species of plants and animals have existed on the planet since life began?
2. What is the profession of the person walking with Malcolm across the open courtyard after the lecture ends?
3. How much is the Biosyn spy being paid to spy on the people who had been involved with the InGen project?
4. According to the Biosyn spy, Levine left the country and traveled to Costa Rica. How long has Levine been gone?
5. Where is the person walking with Malcolm across the open courtyard after his lecture scheduled to return to the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Victorian-era scientists, what are dinosaurs like?
2. The head of Biosyn dislikes Dodgson, but likes having him around. Why?
3. How does Dodgson convince the head of Biosyn to allow Dodgson one more opportunity to successfully gain the dinosaur DNA he has been seeking?
4. According to the Biosyn spy, why is Levine teaching a class at Woodside Junior High?
5. Why do the other girls at school taunt Kelly?
6. Why does the tissue sample that Malcolm sends to his contact at the zoo for analysis cause a stir at the zoo?
7. In the 1970s, why could no one answer questions regarding the fragility of the earth's ecosystem?
8. What is the "Edge of Chaos"?
9. Describe the type of behavior that is common to all complex systems.
10. When Thorne and the children arrive at Levine's apartment, name three items that they find.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Baselton wears different masks in the story. Both a respected Stanford professor and the mastermind behind the Isla Sorna escapade, Baselton is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Baselton. How would Baselton's master plan to steal the dinosaur eggs from Isla Sorna have been affected if he had not been seen as an above-board researcher? Why is it necessary for Baselton to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Ian Malcolm changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Malcolm's character when he first meets Richard Levine when Levine interrupts Malcolm's lecture, when Malcolm learns Levine has gone missing, when he sees the dinosaurs on the island, and when he escapes the island. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Ed James, Doc Thorne, Lewis Dodgson, and Sarah Harding.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)