|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the head of Biosyn?
2. What does Malcolm suggest as the reason for the extinction of complex animals?
3. Where is the person walking with Malcolm across the open courtyard after his lecture scheduled to return to the next day?
4. Where is the concept of a technomyth developed?
5. Before receiving the call regarding the animal carcass in Costa Rica, where is Levine working?
Short Essay Questions
1. A statue of a raptor is outside the biology department at the university where Malcolm works. Why does Malcolm think the statue of the velociraptor is insulting to the raptor?
2. Why does Levine hire Kelly and Arby to run errands for him?
3. Why does Guitierrez lament the changing ethics of scientists?
4. According to Victorian-era scientists, what are dinosaurs like?
5. How does Dodgson convince the head of Biosyn to allow Dodgson one more opportunity to successfully gain the dinosaur DNA he has been seeking?
6. Identify and describe the theory supported by the high levels of iridium at the K-T boundary.
7. Why is Kelly thrilled to learn that Thorne will call Sarah Harding if he can't reach Levine on the sat phone?
8. According to Malcolm's speech, what is the average rate of extinction on the planet?
9. Why, in Malcolm's opinion, is his extinction theory untestable?
10. When Thorne and the children arrive at Levine's apartment, name three items that they find.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "The Lost World". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the creatures used in the novel, the events that unfold on the island, and the choice of Ian Malcolm as one of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are many people who travel to Isla Sorna who do not leave Isla Sorna. Identify at least three people killed on the island. Compare and contrast each of these deaths being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the island's survivors?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on Isla Sorna, both Eddie Carr and Sarah Harding see the dinosaurs for the first time. Describe the reaction of each of these characters upon seeing the dinosaurs. Then, compare and contrast these two characters using their reaction to seeing the dinosaurs as the starting point for a larger discussion about how these two are different.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)