|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nagel die?
2. What forces were ready to attack the Germans when Operation Citadel was formed?
3. What was Zaporozhye?
4. What position did General Schulz serve in Crimea?
5. Why was Operation Citadel stopped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Manstein say was Hitler's mistake in choosing targets?
2. What was the town ok Kursk in Manstein's eyes?
3. What made it impossible for Manstein to properly attack Leningrad?
4. What conditions made fighting in Crimea difficult?
5. What did Manstein warn Zeitzler about?
6. What were Western forces poised to do in the summer of 1943?
7. What made Manstein re-double his efforts to take Sevastopol after Fort Stallin fell?
8. What was debated in the summer of 1943?
9. How did Manstein get Hitler to stop interfering with his plans for success in the Rostov Region?
10. What dictum did Hitler violate when with the Group Don, and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manstein was fascinated with the Russian immigrants she met. What caused this fascination, and how did it affect his demeanor for the remainder of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of unlikely friendships forged in this book. Please explain some of these friendships, and describe how their relationship was forged as well as how this relationship affected the outcome of the war.
Essay Topic 3
What role did Operation Citadel play in the narrative and what did it symbolize? How was the narrative altered by this plan?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)