• The family is on a train that stops at the border by theTuman River.
• The Japanese policeman takes the father away for questioning.
• The mother gets off the train with her baby to wait for the father.
• The father comes back and helps her get warm.
• They decide to cross the river on the ice.
• The journey is dangerous, but they make it across.
• The boy goes to a new school after leaving Manchuria.
• He realizes that the school is a lot like the military.
• The Japanese fill the classroom with local propaganda.
• The boy makes some new friends.
• The boy is attacked by a Japanese teacher, and his teacher gets involved in the fight.
• At a special dinner, the grandfather gives the boy some rice wine.
• The boy finds out his new friend has drowned.
• Later, the teacher also dies as well as his uncle...
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)