|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Uncle Karl tell the children not to go?
2. Of what does Ambrose warn Magda when he asks her to go through the funhouse with him?
3. Where does Magda’s rest her right hand while the family is driving to Ocean City?
4. What happens when Uncle Karl taps his cigar out the ventilator window?
5. What does the narrator say is the best thing to do when lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the function of the beginning of a story?
2. What does Ambrose imagine about his son and what he might say to the boy?
3. What does Ambrose think he sees when he steps into the mirror room in the Funhouse?
4. Why does Magda win the traditional game in the car, and what does Ambrose’s mother say about her win?
5. What does Ambrose decide is the whole point of being in Ocean City, and how does he see Ocean City when he figures this out?
6. What kind of machines in the arcade are broken, and why are they sitting there broken?
7. Who is in the car with Ambrose driving to Ocean City?
8. What is one reason the narrator says exists for not writing a lost-in-the-fun-house story?
9. What has Ambrose realized about winning the traditional game, and at what age does he understand this tactic?
10. What does Peter do after giving up on his and his Uncle Karl’s play at the pool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all short stories.
Compare/contrast the characters of Ambrose and Peter. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Be specific and give examples. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful short story and why Lost in the Funhouse is or is not a successful short story based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful short story should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
Ambrose declares that a person thinks he is himself but there are other people within everyone. Discuss what you think Ambrose means by this statement. Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)