|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ambrose think is the means by which each room in the funhouse is turned on?
2. What does the narrator suggest may be the name of the bay instead of Assawoman Bay?
3. Why might an author in fiction delete a name and use a blank for it?
4. What scares Ambrose about playing the game Niggers and Masters with Magda without Peter?
5. Why have Ambrose and his family come to Ocean City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter do when everyone falls to the floor, and how does Magda react to Peter’s behavior?
2. What does Ambrose decide is the whole point of being in Ocean City, and how does he see Ocean City when he figures this out?
3. What is a traditional game the family plays when approaching the midway point, and what is the prize for the winner?
4. In which section of the Funhouse does Ambrose take Magda’s arm, and why does he take her arm?
5. Who does Ambrose think will overhear him telling stories while lost in the Funhouse?
6. What does the narrator say is the reason a writer should stick with using the Freitag’s Triangle?
7. What is Ambrose’s father doing while Ambrose is in the Funhouse?
8. What happens as the teenagers are entering the Funhouse?
9. Describe Uncle Karl and Peter.
10. What does Ambrose see in his imagination about married life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Which secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful short story and why Lost in the Funhouse is or is not a successful short story based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful short story should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
One of the key elements in any funhouse is the hall of mirrors where visitors see images of themselves in strange and unfamiliar shapes.
Discuss the ways in which Ambrose becomes even more aware of himself when he is in the mirror room of the funhouse. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)