|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Ambrose and Peter’s father never does?
(a) He has never administered corporal punishment
(b) He never swears in front of the boys
(c) Does not encourage or discourage the boys in their endeavors
(d) Disciplines the boys
2. In Ambrose’s imagination, what does Uncle Karl tease Ambrose about on the drive home from Ocean City?
(a) Getting lost in the funhouse
(b) Running out from under the boardwalk looking terrified
(c) Finding his way through the funhouse with a blind Negro girl
(d) Loosing Magda and the chance to kiss her in the funhouse
3. What does the narrator say Independence Day is in America?
(a) Just an excuse for a day off work
(b) The most important secular holiday in America
(c) A time to eat hot dogs
(d) A minor religious holiday
4. What sudden thought scares Ambrose when he calls out to a person he hears walking in the funhouse after Ambrose is lost?
(a) That it is Magda and she will think he is a coward
(b) That it is Peter who will leave him there
(c) That he is just imagining the sound of a person
(d) That it is a monster
5. What does the narrator say is the manuscript mark for italic type?
(a) Putting the text in square parentheses
(b) Highlighting the text
(c) Backward quotation marks
(d) A straight underline
6. At what age are people when the narrator says some people hit their stride?
(a) Around thirty
(b) The middle teens
(c) After marriage
(d) When they hit the twenties
7. What does the narrator say is the best thing to do when lost?
(a) Always travel in the same direction
(b) Always take the right hand turn
(c) Always mark where you have already walked
(d) Stay in one place and holler if necessary
8. What does the matchbook cover Ambrose’s father has advertise?
(a) The new Sears Roebuck stores
(b) Safety during a blackout
(c) U.S. War bonds and stamps
(d) A new casino in Ocean City
9. Why is Ocean City browned out?
(a) In case of air raids
(b) So the place will appear mysterious at night
(c) Because of U-boats
(d) To save electricity
10. What does the narrator say is the primary function of the middle of a story?
(a) To delay the climax
(b) He does not think there is a function to the middle of a story, only the beginning and end.
(c) The middle of a story contains the climax so the end can finish with the resolution
(d) He is uncertain what the function should be
11. What does the narrator say could be one way for girls to become well-developed?
(a) Doing the baton
(b) Doing push-ups
(c) Letting a boy kiss her everyday
(d) Rubbing with a Turkish towel
12. What does Ambrose’s father do with his cigarette when he is finished with it?
(a) Puts it out in the ashtray
(b) Gives to Uncle Karl
(c) Throws it out the window
(d) Hands it to his wife
13. What nickname does Magda use for Ambrose?
14. What literary device does the narrator say diving into the swimming pool could be?
(b) A symbol
(c) A narrative contrivance
(d) A metaphor
15. Of what does Ambrose warn Magda when he asks her to go through the funhouse with him?
(a) That a kiss will be acceptable payment for spending a quarter on her
(b) That he plans to look up her dress
(c) That Peter will not be with them as Peter has no money
(d) That he has never been through the funhouse
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ambrose’s voice if he becomes excited when talking?
2. What do most people do when they hear the funhouse character through the loud speakers?
3. For what does Ambrose think there should be a button?
4. What does the narrator say are the two reasons for not writing a story about being lost in a funhouse?
5. What does Ambrose wonder after he dozes off when he tries to find the old man?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)