|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does the narrator use to describe fiction about the problems of sensitive adolescents?
2. Where is the imaginary torture chamber to which Magda took Ambrose?
(a) Behind the hedge in the side yard
(b) On the front porch
(c) In the garage
(d) Between the woodshed and the privy
3. How does Ambrose end up with a sore toe in the funhouse?
(a) Magda jumps on it
(b) Peter accidentally kicks him
(c) A sailor and his girlfriend steps on the toe
(d) He stubs it on the wall
4. How much money does Ambrose’s mother give each teenager to spend?
(a) One and a half dollars
(b) One dollar
(c) Fifty cents
(d) Two dollars
5. What does Uncle Karl do for a living?
(a) Has a plumbing business
(b) Is a school teacher
(c) Is a masonry contractor
(d) Works in a munitions factory
6. Why does Ambrose go under the boardwalk?
(a) To steal a kiss from Magda
(b) To look for match books
(c) To look for shells
(d) To see if anyone is under there making out
7. What does Uncle Karl say Ambrose’s future family will use to go on vacation?
(a) A moving sidewalk
(b) A subway built underground across America
(c) A train
(d) A flying Autogiros
8. Why did Ambrose’s mother put off his baptism?
(a) She had just procrastinated
(b) She wanted him to understand the ceremony
(c) She could not decide what church to use
(d) She is not baptized herself
9. What did Ambrose try to do when he was baptized?
(a) He tried not to cry
(b) Bring tears to his eyes
(c) Swim in the baptismal pond
(d) He tried not to laugh
10. With what does Ambrose brush Magda’s skirt?
(a) He does not touch Magda’s skirt
(b) His ring finger
(c) His forearm
(d) A hair on his thumb
11. What happens to Ambrose’s voice if he becomes excited when talking?
(b) It deepens
(c) It becomes whispery
(d) It becomes high-pitched
12. What does Ambrose do after he pushes his glasses up on his nose while the family is driving?
(a) Drops his hand into Magda’s lap
(c) Drops his hand on the seat behind Magda
13. Where does Magda’s rest her right hand while the family is driving to Ocean City?
(a) On the back of the front passenger seat
(b) On the seat near Ambrose’s left leg
(c) On the door’s armrest
(d) On her lap
14. Of what kind of material are Ambrose’s pants made?
(c) Brushed denim
15. What did Ambrose feel during Magda enacting her punishment?
(a) He felt like he loved everyone
(b) He could not quit laughing
(c) An odd detachment
(d) Very powerful
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ambrose imagine his father saying to him about the people on the boardwalk?
2. The narrator says italics should be used how often?
3. Why does Ambrose keep his hand on the seat behind Magda?
4. What does the narrator say about Ambrose’s father’s physical looks?
5. What does Ambrose imagine doing if he gets out of the funhouse on his own?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)