|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say to count a generation in years?
(a) Thirty-five years
(b) Thirty years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Twenty-five years
2. What does the narrator say might happen if Ambrose comes across another lost person in the funhouse?
(a) He does not suggest that
(b) They would help and encourage each other
(c) It would be an older boy who would laugh at Ambrose
(d) It would be a girl and she would not like him
3. On what does the lady on the cigar box sit?
(a) On an armchair
(b) On a bed
(c) In the sand on the beach
(d) On a marble bench
4. What does the narrator say giving descriptions with two different senses, such as auditory and visual, can do?
(a) It orients the reader’s imagination to the scene
(b) It draws the attention away from any narrative contrivances
(c) It helps the author remember what the characters are doing
(d) It adds words to the book
5. What does Ambrose fear is the difference between himself and others?
(a) He is socially incompetent
(b) He will never become a man
(c) He is not smart
(d) He is insane
6. Why does Ambrose keep his hand on the seat behind Magda?
(a) He is going to push her out of the seat when she sits back
(b) He is determined that Magda is going to sit on his hand
(c) He has a water balloon in his hand
(d) It is the most comfortable position for him
7. Who sets the price for Magda’s clemency in the game 'niggers and masters'?
(a) It is set in the rules of the game
8. What does Ambrose tell Magda is the reason he is limping?
(a) He twisted his ankle
(b) He has a pebble in his shoe
(c) He stubbed his toe
(d) His foot fell asleep in the car
9. At what age are people when the narrator says some people hit their stride?
(a) Around thirty
(b) When they hit the twenties
(c) The middle teens
(d) After marriage
10. How many times a year does Ambrose’s family come to Ocean City?
(a) This is their first time at Ocean City
(b) Three times a year
(c) Twice a year
(d) Once a year
11. What nickname does Magda use for Ambrose?
12. What does Ambrose notice about the people going into the funhouse?
(a) They are all adults
(b) They are all young children
(c) They all hold hands
(d) They are all couples
13. Who does the narrator say Peter resembles?
(a) His maternal grandfather
(b) His mother
(c) His father
(d) His Uncle Karl
14. What does the narrator say is the best thing to do when lost?
(a) Always travel in the same direction
(b) Stay in one place and holler if necessary
(c) Always mark where you have already walked
(d) Always take the right hand turn
15. What does the narrator say alternates back and forth in a narrative?
(a) Action and dialogue
(b) Characterization and Description
(c) Exciting parts and boring parts
(d) Dramatization and summarization
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the electrical towers of the power plant located?
2. What does the family decide to do instead of swim in the ocean?
3. How does Magda peel a banana?
4. Where do Ambrose and his family live?
5. How does Ambrose describe Peter as a person?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)