|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Vivian pause to think how many days she had been on a diet?
(a) The smell of coffee and bacon.
(b) The doughnuts in the choir room.
(c) The smell of baking bread as they drive by a bakery.
(d) The breakfast Diane serves her children before she leaves with Vivian.
2. How does the protagonist of "The Store" respond to the police officer who confronts him about jay-walking?
(a) The protagonist tells an ill-received joke.
(b) The protagonist challenges the officer, arguing that the light was still green.
(c) The protagonist runs.
(d) The protagonist respectfully apologizes.
3. What does the police officer force the protagonist to do as punishment for crossing the street illegally?
(a) The officer makes the protagonist cross the street over and over again on the green light until he is satisfied.
(b) The officer forces him to come to the station.
(c) The officer forces the protagonist to swear he will never cross illegally again.
(d) The officer forces him to perform a sex act.
4. What does Marcus call the dreadlock man?
(b) Natty Dreadlock.
(c) The man with the snake hair.
(d) Dreadlock man.
5. What does Lydia ask of the nurse who calls to inform her of her mother's death?
(a) Lydia asks how this has happened.
(b) Lydia asks that they not put the sheet over her face until she has seen her first.
(c) Lydia asks when her mother passed.
(d) Lydia asks that they simply send her body to the funeral home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gospel", what is the only constant in Vivian Slater's life?
2. In "The Store", where does the protagonist commit his offense?
3. How old is Pookie when he decides not to visit his father anymore?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the characteristics the protagonist of "The Store" lists about himself in regard to his service at his first job?
5. How much older than Vivian is her husband, Ralph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lydia's mother's reaction to the first boy she brings home.
2. Explain why Marvella scolds Avis at the opening of the story.
3. In "Gospel", describe Vivian L. Slater's Sunday morning ritual.
4. Discuss the infighting that occurs amongst the Gospelteers.
5. How does Mansfield's mistress talk to Lydia about her husband?
6. In "An Orange Line Train to Ballston", describe the opening of the story.
7. Why does Santiago's grandmother ban him from her house?
8. How does the protagonist of "The Store" garner promotion within the store?
9. What does the protagonist of "The Store" do when Penny decides to sell the store?
10. Discuss the way the dreadlock man responds to Marvella's children.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)