|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What station does Vivian switch the radio to?
(a) The local talk radio program.
(b) The first station with the weather.
2. What does Samuel Sr. say to his sister after he kills Angie?
(a) "I stabbed her a lot".
(b) "The gun went off".
(c) "I didn't do it".
(d) "Angie's dead".
3. What is Mildred following through the city?
(a) A yellow butterfly.
(b) A map to her friend's house.
(c) A series of directions given to her by her son.
(d) A taxi cab.
4. Why does Marvin challenge Marvella in the train station?
(a) Marvin wants to go to the zoo tomorrow, not the next day.
(b) Marvin is tired of his mother flirting with the dreadlock man.
(c) Marvin wants to know why they have to wait for the orange train when the blue one goes the same way.
(d) Marvin does not believe her explanation of the train system.
5. What position does Lonney's father hold?
(a) Lonney's father is a "big shot Negro officer" in the Army.
(b) Lonney's father is president of a bank.
(c) Lonney's father is a cook on a Navy vessel.
(d) Lonney's father is a mechanic for the Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Store", how much does the protagonist make in a week working at the store?
2. How does the protagonist of "The Store" get by day-to-day without a job?
3. What makes Vivian pause to think how many days she had been on a diet?
4. Where did Lydia send her mother as 65th birthday present?
5. How many members does the House of the Solitary Savior have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist of "The Store" do when Penny decides to sell the store?
2. How do the Gospelteers respond to the fire at the church?
3. Why does Santiago's grandmother ban him from her house?
4. Explain how Santiago makes money.
5. Discuss Lydia's desire to get "lost in the city" in order to deal with her grief at her mother's death.
6. Discuss the way the dreadlock man responds to Marvella's children.
7. Explain why Marvella scolds Avis at the opening of the story.
8. How does the protagonist of "The Store" garner promotion within the store?
9. In "The Store", why does Kentucky criticize the protagonist?
10. Discuss the infighting that occurs amongst the Gospelteers.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)