|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Vivian pause to think how many days she had been on a diet?
(a) The smell of coffee and bacon.
(b) The smell of baking bread as they drive by a bakery.
(c) The doughnuts in the choir room.
(d) The breakfast Diane serves her children before she leaves with Vivian.
2. In "His Mother's House", what is one of the few things Santiago Moses's mother brings with her when she moves into the house Santiago bought for her?
(a) The single family portrait.
(b) The coffee table.
(c) The teacup her mother gave her.
(d) The love seat.
3. What did Pearl discover about a week after Humphrey was born?
(a) Pearl was deathly ill.
(b) Pearl could no longer produce milk.
(c) Humphrey and Santiago had the same father.
(d) Humphrey's father had been killed.
4. In "An Orange Line Train to Ballston", what part of the train system fascinates Marvin?
(a) Marvin is fascinated by the advertisements the train passes on the way home.
(b) Marvin is fascinated by all the people.
(c) Marvin is fascinated by the light that indicates the train's arrival.
(d) Marvin is fascinated by the way the trains move so fast.
5. How old is Santiago at the beginning of the story?
(a) 28 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 30 years old.
(d) 20 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many members does Holy Tabernacle AME Zion have?
2. Which odd behavior does Marvella's younger son Marcus exhibit?
3. What color car does Penny drive?
4. What was Angie holding in her hand at the time of her death?
5. What is Jesse Mae wearing that causes a sensation among the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Gospelteers respond to the fire at the church?
2. Explain how Santiago makes money.
3. Discuss the infighting that occurs amongst the Gospelteers.
4. In "Gospel", describe Vivian L. Slater's Sunday morning ritual.
5. Describe the first job the protagonist has in "The Store".
6. Discuss the significance of the title of "His Mother's House".
7. In "An Orange Line Train to Ballston", describe the opening of the story.
8. Why does Marvella keep her children at the school in Northwest?
9. How does Mansfield's mistress talk to Lydia about her husband?
10. Discuss the way the dreadlock man responds to Marvella's children.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)