|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the copy of the trial manuscript cost?
2. What position does Lonney's father hold?
(a) Lonney's father is president of a bank.
(b) Lonney's father is a "big shot Negro officer" in the Army.
(c) Lonney's father is a mechanic for the Army.
(d) Lonney's father is a cook on a Navy vessel.
3. What does Avis ask the dreadlock man when she first sees him?
(a) Avis asks where he is from.
(b) Avis asks if she can sit next to him.
(c) Avis asks if he has a comb or brush.
(d) Avis asks if he thinks her mother is pretty.
4. How old is Pookie when he decides not to visit his father anymore?
5. What color car does Penny drive?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages is the trial manuscript?
2. What does Maddie think the blood seeping out of Angie's body represents?
3. In "The Sunday Following Mother's Day", on what street was the family's apartment located?
4. How old is Santiago at the beginning of the story?
5. How many husbands has Jesse Mae had?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Santiago makes money.
2. Explain why Marvella scolds Avis at the opening of the story.
3. Discuss the infighting that occurs amongst the Gospelteers.
4. Describe the woman Mildred's husband had an affair with.
5. Discuss Lydia's mother's reaction to the first boy she brings home.
6. In "The Store", why does Kentucky criticize the protagonist?
7. Why does Santiago's grandmother ban him from her house?
8. Discuss the significance of the title of "His Mother's House".
9. In "Gospel", describe Vivian L. Slater's Sunday morning ritual.
10. In "An Orange Line Train to Ballston", describe the opening of the story.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)