|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which odd behavior does Marvella's younger son Marcus exhibit?
(a) Marcus stares for long periods of time.
(b) Marcus talks to himself.
(c) Marcus ties and unties his shoes.
(d) Marcus taps his left foot at all times.
2. In "The Store", where is the protagonist when he realizes he has left some of his personal belongings at the job he just quit?
(a) On New York Ave.
(b) On 5th Street.
(c) On 7th Street.
(d) On K Street.
3. In "The Store", how long has Atlas Printing Co. been in business?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 75 years.
(c) 150 years.
(d) 30 years.
4. Where does Mildred want to go during the conversation with the woman?
(b) The corner store.
5. In "The Sunday Following Mother's Day", on what street was the family's apartment located?
(a) M Street.
(b) 5th Street.
(c) 3rd Street.
(d) Kenyon Ave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mildred notice as she speaks to the woman?
2. What station does Vivian switch the radio to?
3. How long have Joyce and Rickey been married?
4. In "The Sunday Following Mother's Day", how old was Madeleine Walters when her father killed her mother?
5. What happens to Lonney two years after marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Marvella scolds Avis at the opening of the story.
2. Explain how Santiago makes money.
3. How does Samuel Jr. react when he learns that his sister has kept contact with their father over the years?
4. Discuss the infighting that occurs amongst the Gospelteers.
5. In "The Store", how does the protagonist begin his employment at the grocery store?
6. In "Gospel", describe Vivian L. Slater's Sunday morning ritual.
7. Why was the protagonist of "The Store" initially hesitant to respond to the ad in the paper?
8. Why does Santiago's grandmother ban him from her house?
9. In "An Orange Line Train to Ballston", describe the opening of the story.
10. In "The Store", why does Kentucky criticize the protagonist?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)