|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The First Day", what time does the protagonist's mother promise to pick her up?
2. What smell does the protagonist of "The First Day" notice each time she turns her head?
(a) Chemically treated hair.
(b) Fresh soap.
(c) Gardenia perfume behind her ear.
(d) Dixie Peach hair grease.
3. Where do Cassandra's sister and brother-in-law live?
(a) New York Ave.
(b) Clifton Street.
(c) Maple View Place.
(d) Kenyon Street.
4. From what illness does Clara die?
(a) A brain tumor.
(b) Sickle cell anemia.
5. When was the last time Caesar had seen Sherman?
(a) 2 months ago.
(b) 2 weeks ago.
(c) 3 days ago.
(d) 2 days ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manny doing at the table when Caesar arrives?
2. In "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed", what is Cassandra eating at the beginning of the story?
3. When the girls arrive at Mildred Harper's house, what does Mildred do?
4. A woman in "The First Day" has fashioned hair curlers out of which of the following?
5. What is Miles' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caesar con Carol into participating in his plot to rob the disabled woman?
2. What does Betsy Ann do to lose her father's trust? Why does he become so angry?
3. Describe Robert's reaction to becoming a widower and single father in "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons."
4. How does Rhonda Ferguson's father treat Cassandra?
5. In "The First Day", why does the protagonist's mother have her heart set on taking her to a particular school?
6. Discuss the girls' encounter with Pearl and Joyce. What unconventional decision have they made?
7. How does Robert treat his daughter Betsy Ann?
8. Why does the protagonist's mother slap her across the mouth in "The First Day"?
9. Why is the protagonist of "The First Day" turned away from Seaton Elementary?
10. Describe the environment in which Betsy Ann grows up.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)