|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anita's father tell her about Anacostia?
(a) Anacostia is a place full of criminals and thieves.
(b) Anita should never go there because it is too far away.
(c) People there still live with chickens and cows.
(d) Anacostia is a place for men to live with their mistresses.
2. What advice does Robert receive from Carleton and Carlos?
(a) "Don't get lost in the city."
(b) "Don't cross Miss Jenny."
(c) "Don't go outside after dark."
(d) "Don't overstay your welcome."
3. What does Cassandra do to retaliate against her brother-in-law after their morning fight?
(a) Cassandra lays him out with a punch to the jaw.
(b) Cassandra takes his car.
(c) Cassandra skips school to smoke.
(d) Cassandra runs away.
4. What does the protagonist's mother do when the teacher introduces herself in "The First Day"?
(a) The protagonist's mother stares at her.
(b) The protagonist's mother tears up a bit.
(c) The protagonist's mother challenges the woman because she seems too young.
(d) The protagonist's mother smiles proudly.
5. What does Cassandra call Rhonda Ferguson's father?
(a) Daddy Ferguson.
(d) Mr. Ferguson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the protagonist of "The First Day"?
2. What does the protagonist of "The First Day" notice as her mother walks away?
3. Which elementary school does the protagonist's mother want her to attend in "The First Day"?
4. What does Janet teach Robert to do using a blond baby doll?
5. A woman in "The First Day" has fashioned hair curlers out of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Young Lions", discuss Carol's feelings for Caesar.
2. Why does the protagonist's mother slap her across the mouth in "The First Day"?
3. How does Cassandra response to Roger's attempt to rape Melanie?
4. How does Cassandra respond to the fight she has with her brother-in-law?
5. How does Robert respond to his daughter's desire to raise pigeons of her own?
6. Describe the environment in which Betsy Ann grows up.
7. How does Caesar con Carol into participating in his plot to rob the disabled woman?
8. Describe the final interaction between Caesar and Carol.
9. In "The First Day", why does the little girl at Walker-Jones Elementary look at the protagonist's mother as though she is "diseased"?
10. Describe the character of Cassandra G. Lewis in "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed".
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)