|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the protagonist's mother scold the protagonist while she is filling out paperwork in "The First Day"?
(a) The protagonist is antagonizing another student.
(b) The protagonist is fussing with her clothes.
(c) The protagonist is staring at a judgmental little girl.
(d) The protagonist is misbehaving out of boredom.
2. Where do Betsy Ann's pigeons fly away to each morning?
(a) The roof.
(b) The bell tower.
(c) Miles' house.
(d) The park.
3. How much does Mildred give Cassandra for gas?
(c) Nothing extra.
4. What put Sherman in the hospital?
(a) A stabbing wound from a dispute.
(b) A robbery gone bad.
(c) A drug overdose.
(d) A drive-by shooting.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the items the protagonist carries to school in "The First Day"?
(a) A ten-cent black and white tablet.
(b) A box of crayons.
(c) A pencil.
(d) A pencil sharpener.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons", how old is Miles?
2. What does the protagonist's mother see as the "beginning and end of the world"?
3. How does Betsy Ann's father get to work in the morning?
4. Which church does the protagonist's mother attend in "The First Day"?
5. How old is the protagonist of "The First Day"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist of "The First Day" describe the woman who greets her at Seaton Elementary?
2. Describe the environment in which Betsy Ann grows up.
3. Describe the errand Gladys' mother pays Cassandra to run.
4. How does Robert respond to his daughter's desire to raise pigeons of her own?
5. In "The First Day", how well prepared is the protagonist's mother to enroll her child in school?
6. Describe the relationship between Robert and Clara in "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons."
7. What do the pigeons symbolize?
8. How does Robert treat his daughter Betsy Ann?
9. Describe the conditions in which Betsy Ann's cousin Ralph grows up.
10. Describe Robert's reaction to becoming a widower and single father in "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons."
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)