|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the protagonist of "The First Day"?
2. What is Manny doing at the table when Caesar arrives?
(a) Manny is reading the Post aloud.
(b) Manny is rolling a cigarette.
(c) Manny is eating a late breakfast.
(d) Manny is counting cash.
3. What advice does Robert receive from Carleton and Carlos?
(a) "Don't get lost in the city."
(b) "Don't go outside after dark."
(c) "Don't cross Miss Jenny."
(d) "Don't overstay your welcome."
4. What is Miles' profession?
(a) Executive assistant.
(b) Street sweeper.
(d) Line cook.
5. Which school is the protagonist of "The First Day" zoned for?
(a) Lincoln Memorial Elementary.
(b) Walker-Jones Elementary.
(c) Lafayette Elementary.
(d) Seaton Elementary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Cassandra's brother-in-law drive?
2. What kind of shirt does Manny always wear?
3. What does Cassandra fight with her brother-in-law about?
4. Where does Jenny encounter Clara and Robert?
5. What sign does Betsy Ann take to mean that the pigeons have decided to roost in her coop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert respond to his daughter's desire to raise pigeons of her own?
2. What does Betsy Ann do to lose her father's trust? Why does he become so angry?
3. In "The First Day", how well prepared is the protagonist's mother to enroll her child in school?
4. Discuss Caesar's feelings for Carol.
5. Describe the conversation between the girls about the effect Rhonda's fame will have on her.
6. How does Robert treat his daughter Betsy Ann?
7. How does Cassandra respond to teachers' attempts to set her straight?
8. What is the central difference between Caesar and Sherman?
9. Describe the relationship between Robert and Clara in "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons."
10. Describe the final interaction between Caesar and Carol.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)