|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Cassandra's brother-in-law drive?
(a) A green 1969 Ford truck.
(b) A red 1973 Dodge.
(c) A green 1957 Hollywood Hudson.
(d) A black 1978 Ford Mustang.
2. What does Cassandra fight with her brother-in-law about?
(a) Cassandra's foul language.
(b) The time she is supposed to be home at night.
(c) Cassandra's truancy.
(d) The amount of food she eats.
3. What happens to Betsy Ann's pigeons?
(a) Betsy Ann sets them free.
(b) All but two of the pigeons are killed by rats.
(c) A neighbor, tired of the noise and smell, poisons them.
(d) The pigeons escape from the coop and fly away for good.
4. How old are the mentally handicapped woman and her housemates?
(a) At least 40 years old.
(b) At least 30 years old.
(c) Clearly over 50 years old.
(d) Around 20-25 years old.
5. How does Rhonda die?
(a) Rhonda's father stabs her.
(b) Rhonda is shot.
(c) Rhonda dies from alcohol poisoning.
(d) Rhonda overdoses on drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Robert receive from Carleton and Carlos?
2. What color is Clara's casket?
3. In "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed", when the car stalls, who is able to get it started?
4. Who do the girls see moving into an apartment on 9th street?
5. What did Anita's father tell her about Anacostia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the environment in which Betsy Ann grows up.
2. How does Cassandra respond to teachers' attempts to set her straight?
3. Describe the relationship between Robert and Clara in "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons."
4. In "The First Day", why does the protagonist's mother have her heart set on taking her to a particular school?
5. How does Cassandra respond to the fight she has with her brother-in-law?
6. Why does the protagonist's mother slap her across the mouth in "The First Day"?
7. Describe the conditions in which Betsy Ann's cousin Ralph grows up.
8. What do the pigeons symbolize?
9. Discuss the girls' encounter with Pearl and Joyce. What unconventional decision have they made?
10. Describe the final interaction between Caesar and Carol.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)