|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marcus call the dreadlock man?
(a) Natty Dreadlock.
(b) The man with the snake hair.
(d) Dreadlock man.
2. What makes Vivian pause to think how many days she had been on a diet?
(a) The breakfast Diane serves her children before she leaves with Vivian.
(b) The doughnuts in the choir room.
(c) The smell of coffee and bacon.
(d) The smell of baking bread as they drive by a bakery.
3. Why does Marvin challenge Marvella in the train station?
(a) Marvin is tired of his mother flirting with the dreadlock man.
(b) Marvin wants to go to the zoo tomorrow, not the next day.
(c) Marvin wants to know why they have to wait for the orange train when the blue one goes the same way.
(d) Marvin does not believe her explanation of the train system.
4. What does Avis ask the dreadlock man when she first sees him?
(a) Avis asks if he thinks her mother is pretty.
(b) Avis asks where he is from.
(c) Avis asks if he has a comb or brush.
(d) Avis asks if she can sit next to him.
5. What happens to Lonney two years after marriage?
(a) Lonney is killed in an accident at work.
(b) Lonney is fired from his job.
(c) Lonney joins the Army.
(d) Brenda cheats on Lonney.
6. Why does Humphrey show up at the new house?
(a) To apologize for last night's fight.
(b) To beg Santiago for money.
(c) To threaten Santiago.
(d) To leave money for Santiago.
7. What does Mildred say to the woman when she runs into her on the street?
(a) "How dare you?"
(b) "Nice to meet you."
(c) "Thank you."
(d) "It was you."
8. In "The Store", where was the protagonist's first job?
(a) Atlas Printing Co.
(b) His mother's laundry business.
(c) The gas station.
(d) Penny's store.
9. In "The Sunday Following Mother's Day", how old was Madeleine Walters when her father killed her mother?
10. When does Lonney marry Brenda?
11. In "The Sunday Following Mother's Day", on what street was the family's apartment located?
(a) Kenyon Ave.
(b) 5th Street.
(c) M Street.
(d) 3rd Street.
12. Who had Lydia been dreaming of when the phone rang?
(c) Antibes and a naked Texan.
(d) Her mother.
13. Why is Marvella embarrassed to publicly scold her child?
(a) Marvella does not like handling matters in public.
(b) There are white people around.
(c) Marvin did not really do anything wrong.
(d) The dreadlock man shakes his head in disgust.
14. In "The Store", how much does the protagonist make in a week working at the store?
15. What is the name of the judge who sentences Samuel Sr.?
(a) Judge John Tellingford.
(b) Judge William McKenna.
(c) Judge Robert Jones.
(d) Judge Franklin Rogers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joyce drink after speaking with Pearl?
2. How does the protagonist of "The Store" respond to the police officer who confronts him about jay-walking?
3. In "Lost in the City", what time is it when the telephone rings in Lydia Walsh's house?
4. What color car does Penny drive?
5. What position does Lonney's father hold?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)