|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Pookie when he decides not to visit his father anymore?
2. What does Mildred say to the woman when she runs into her on the street?
(a) "It was you."
(b) "How dare you?"
(c) "Nice to meet you."
(d) "Thank you."
3. What does Maddie think the blood seeping out of Angie's body represents?
(a) The anger, hatred, and resentment of marriage.
(b) The end of her brother's life.
(c) The end of her friend's life.
(d) The loss of her innocence, joy, and kindness.
4. On which ring does Lydia pick up the telephone?
(a) The 10th.
(b) The 5th.
(c) The 15th.
(d) The 3rd.
5. What does Lydia ask of the nurse who calls to inform her of her mother's death?
(a) Lydia asks how this has happened.
(b) Lydia asks that they simply send her body to the funeral home.
(c) Lydia asks when her mother passed.
(d) Lydia asks that they not put the sheet over her face until she has seen her first.
6. How many members does the House of the Solitary Savior have?
(a) No more than 50.
7. What makes Vivian pause to think how many days she had been on a diet?
(a) The doughnuts in the choir room.
(b) The smell of baking bread as they drive by a bakery.
(c) The smell of coffee and bacon.
(d) The breakfast Diane serves her children before she leaves with Vivian.
8. In "His Mother's House", what is one of the few things Santiago Moses's mother brings with her when she moves into the house Santiago bought for her?
(a) The teacup her mother gave her.
(b) The single family portrait.
(c) The coffee table.
(d) The love seat.
9. How does the protagonist of "The Store" get by day-to-day without a job?
(a) He lives with his mother.
(b) He steals necessary items from local stores.
(c) He finds food and shelter around dumpsters.
(d) He lives with his girlfriend.
10. How long did Pearl think babies needed to breastfeed in order to be healthy?
(a) 9 weeks.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 year.
11. Why does Marvin challenge Marvella in the train station?
(a) Marvin wants to know why they have to wait for the orange train when the blue one goes the same way.
(b) Marvin wants to go to the zoo tomorrow, not the next day.
(c) Marvin does not believe her explanation of the train system.
(d) Marvin is tired of his mother flirting with the dreadlock man.
12. What is the name of the judge who sentences Samuel Sr.?
(a) Judge John Tellingford.
(b) Judge Franklin Rogers.
(c) Judge Robert Jones.
(d) Judge William McKenna.
13. In "Gospel", how old is Anita?
14. What does Avis ask the dreadlock man when she first sees him?
(a) Avis asks if he has a comb or brush.
(b) Avis asks if she can sit next to him.
(c) Avis asks if he thinks her mother is pretty.
(d) Avis asks where he is from.
15. What position does Lonney's father hold?
(a) Lonney's father is a cook on a Navy vessel.
(b) Lonney's father is a mechanic for the Army.
(c) Lonney's father is president of a bank.
(d) Lonney's father is a "big shot Negro officer" in the Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Store", how much does the protagonist make in a week working at the store?
2. In "The Store", where does the protagonist commit his offense?
3. What was Angie holding in her hand at the time of her death?
4. What was the movie that Lydia went to see on her first date?
5. What did Pearl discover about a week after Humphrey was born?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)