|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lydia ask of the nurse who calls to inform her of her mother's death?
(a) Lydia asks that they simply send her body to the funeral home.
(b) Lydia asks how this has happened.
(c) Lydia asks when her mother passed.
(d) Lydia asks that they not put the sheet over her face until she has seen her first.
2. Which odd behavior does Marvella's younger son Marcus exhibit?
(a) Marcus taps his left foot at all times.
(b) Marcus talks to himself.
(c) Marcus stares for long periods of time.
(d) Marcus ties and unties his shoes.
3. In "The Store", where was the protagonist's first job?
(a) The gas station.
(b) His mother's laundry business.
(c) Atlas Printing Co.
(d) Penny's store.
4. What school does Lonney attend part-time?
(b) D.C. Technical College.
(d) University of Virginia.
5. What does Mildred say to the woman when she runs into her on the street?
(a) "It was you."
(b) "How dare you?"
(c) "Nice to meet you."
(d) "Thank you."
6. What toy does Madeleine bring with her as Maddie drags the children out of the house?
(a) A tea cup.
(b) A rattle.
(c) A doll.
(d) A teddy bear.
7. Where does Mildred want to go during the conversation with the woman?
(b) The corner store.
8. What did Pearl discover about a week after Humphrey was born?
(a) Humphrey's father had been killed.
(b) Humphrey and Santiago had the same father.
(c) Pearl was deathly ill.
(d) Pearl could no longer produce milk.
9. How long ago did Mansfield's mistress return his belongings to his family?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 7 weeks.
10. What position does Lonney's father hold?
(a) Lonney's father is president of a bank.
(b) Lonney's father is a mechanic for the Army.
(c) Lonney's father is a cook on a Navy vessel.
(d) Lonney's father is a "big shot Negro officer" in the Army.
11. What does the police officer force the protagonist to do as punishment for crossing the street illegally?
(a) The officer forces him to come to the station.
(b) The officer forces the protagonist to swear he will never cross illegally again.
(c) The officer forces him to perform a sex act.
(d) The officer makes the protagonist cross the street over and over again on the green light until he is satisfied.
12. What does Avis ask the dreadlock man when she first sees him?
(a) Avis asks if he thinks her mother is pretty.
(b) Avis asks where he is from.
(c) Avis asks if he has a comb or brush.
(d) Avis asks if she can sit next to him.
13. Who had Lydia been dreaming of when the phone rang?
(c) Antibes and a naked Texan.
(d) Her mother.
14. How many husbands has Jesse Mae had?
(b) Only 1, but the women spread rumors that she had married 8 men.
15. What happens to Lonney two years after marriage?
(a) Lonney joins the Army.
(b) Brenda cheats on Lonney.
(c) Lonney is fired from his job.
(d) Lonney is killed in an accident at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the couple's children could not forgive his decision to leave their mother?
2. How many members does Holy Tabernacle AME Zion have?
3. What was the movie that Lydia went to see on her first date?
4. How much older than Vivian is her husband, Ralph?
5. What is the name of the judge who sentences Samuel Sr.?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)