|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Butterfly on F Street", how long had Mildred Harper been married to Mansfield Harper?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 27 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 17 years.
2. In "The Store", where does the protagonist commit his offense?
(a) In the No. 2 precinct.
(b) In the No. 1 precinct.
(c) In the No. 3 precinct.
(d) In the No. 4 precinct.
3. After Humphrey falls asleep on the couch, what falls out of his pocket?
(a) More money.
(b) Paperwork for a new job.
(c) A few tiny, clear packets.
(d) A gun.
4. Where is Jack Lawrence originally from?
(d) Brooklyn Heights.
5. What is Mildred following through the city?
(a) A taxi cab.
(b) A yellow butterfly.
(c) A series of directions given to her by her son.
(d) A map to her friend's house.
6. What does Lydia ask of the nurse who calls to inform her of her mother's death?
(a) Lydia asks that they not put the sheet over her face until she has seen her first.
(b) Lydia asks how this has happened.
(c) Lydia asks that they simply send her body to the funeral home.
(d) Lydia asks when her mother passed.
7. In "The Store", where is the protagonist when he realizes he has left some of his personal belongings at the job he just quit?
(a) On 5th Street.
(b) On New York Ave.
(c) On 7th Street.
(d) On K Street.
8. On what day does Lydia's mother die?
(a) July 29th.
(b) August 9th.
(c) July 31st.
(d) October 2nd.
9. In "The Store", why does the protagonist's father have to quit his job?
(a) The protagonist's father has an affair with the owner's wife.
(b) The manager accuses him of stealing.
(c) The protagonist's father has a third heart attack.
(d) The protagonist's father has to serve in the army.
10. What does Maddie think the blood seeping out of Angie's body represents?
(a) The end of her friend's life.
(b) The end of her brother's life.
(c) The anger, hatred, and resentment of marriage.
(d) The loss of her innocence, joy, and kindness.
11. How many pages is the trial manuscript?
12. In "Gospel", what is the only constant in Vivian Slater's life?
(a) Her Sunday morning performances.
(b) Her attendance at church.
(c) The Gospelteers.
(d) A Sunday morning bath.
13. When does Lonney marry Brenda?
14. Why is Marvella embarrassed to publicly scold her child?
(a) There are white people around.
(b) Marvin did not really do anything wrong.
(c) The dreadlock man shakes his head in disgust.
(d) Marvella does not like handling matters in public.
15. What is Jesse Mae wearing that causes a sensation among the women?
(a) A scandalously short dress.
(b) Fur trim along her collar, sleeves, and the hem of her robe.
(c) Gaudy high heels.
(d) Pants underneath her robe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pearl discover about a week after Humphrey was born?
2. Where does Mildred want to go during the conversation with the woman?
3. Why does Marvin challenge Marvella in the train station?
4. What did Lydia's mother say about the first boy Lydia had sex with?
5. How old is Pookie when he decides not to visit his father anymore?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)