|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Lonney two years after marriage?
(a) Lonney joins the Army.
(b) Lonney is fired from his job.
(c) Brenda cheats on Lonney.
(d) Lonney is killed in an accident at work.
2. Why is Marvella embarrassed to publicly scold her child?
(a) Marvin did not really do anything wrong.
(b) There are white people around.
(c) Marvella does not like handling matters in public.
(d) The dreadlock man shakes his head in disgust.
3. How many husbands has Jesse Mae had?
(b) Only 1, but the women spread rumors that she had married 8 men.
4. In "The Store", where is the protagonist when he realizes he has left some of his personal belongings at the job he just quit?
(a) On 5th Street.
(b) On New York Ave.
(c) On K Street.
(d) On 7th Street.
5. How long did Pearl think babies needed to breastfeed in order to be healthy?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 9 weeks.
6. What does Samuel Sr. say to his sister after he kills Angie?
(a) "Angie's dead".
(b) "I didn't do it".
(c) "The gun went off".
(d) "I stabbed her a lot".
7. In "His Mother's House", what is one of the few things Santiago Moses's mother brings with her when she moves into the house Santiago bought for her?
(a) The teacup her mother gave her.
(b) The love seat.
(c) The coffee table.
(d) The single family portrait.
8. How old is Marvin?
9. How much older than Vivian is her husband, Ralph?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 10 years.
10. What position does Lonney's father hold?
(a) Lonney's father is a "big shot Negro officer" in the Army.
(b) Lonney's father is a cook on a Navy vessel.
(c) Lonney's father is a mechanic for the Army.
(d) Lonney's father is president of a bank.
11. Where did Lydia send her mother as 65th birthday present?
12. Where does Mildred want to go during the conversation with the woman?
(d) The corner store.
13. In "The Store", how old was the protagonist when he decided to quit his first job?
14. How does the protagonist of "The Store" get by day-to-day without a job?
(a) He finds food and shelter around dumpsters.
(b) He lives with his girlfriend.
(c) He lives with his mother.
(d) He steals necessary items from local stores.
15. What does Marcus call the dreadlock man?
(a) Natty Dreadlock.
(c) The man with the snake hair.
(d) Dreadlock man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mildred notice as she speaks to the woman?
2. In "The Store", how much does the protagonist make in a week working at the store?
3. How old is Avis?
4. What time does Santiago call home?
5. In "An Orange Line Train to Ballston", what part of the train system fascinates Marvin?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)