|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cassandra ask Joyce Moses?
(a) Cassandra asks who the father of the baby is.
(b) Cassandra asks why Joyce isn't showing yet.
(c) Cassandra asks why she got pregnant.
(d) Cassandra asks if she can join Joyce and Pearl for dinner.
2. How much does Mildred give Cassandra for gas?
(d) Nothing extra.
3. Why does Caesar dislike it when Manny calls his apartment?
(a) Caesar has been trying to distance himself from Manny.
(b) Caesar does not want there to be record of any communications between himself and Manny.
(c) Manny whispers everything over the phone, making it seem obscene.
(d) Caesar does not want Carol to find out what he is planning to do.
4. What is the only reason Cassandra does not think it would be fair to shoot the fathers of Joyce's and Pearl's babies?
(a) The "It takes two to tango" rule.
(b) The boys' families would miss them.
(c) The boys offered to marry the girls.
(d) Boys will be boys.
5. What put Sherman in the hospital?
(a) A robbery gone bad.
(b) A drive-by shooting.
(c) A stabbing wound from a dispute.
(d) A drug overdose.
6. Who accompanies Betsy Ann on her trips to retrieve her pigeons?
(a) Ralph Holley.
7. A woman in "The First Day" has fashioned hair curlers out of which of the following?
(a) Cardboard tubes.
(b) Candy wrappers.
(c) Paper money.
8. What does Cassandra call Rhonda Ferguson's father?
(a) Daddy Ferguson.
(b) Mr. Ferguson.
9. What does the protagonist's mother see as the "beginning and end of the world"?
10. What does Cassandra do instead of attending class?
(a) Cassandra cares for her niece.
(b) Cassandra drives around town looking for work.
(c) Cassandra sits outside the classroom antagonizing her teacher.
(d) Cassandra fantasizes about killing her brother-in-law.
11. What color is Clara's casket?
(a) Varnished pine.
12. What color are the protagonist's socks in "The First Day"?
(a) Yellow trimmed in white and black.
(c) White trimmed with green.
(d) One is black, one is white.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the items the protagonist carries to school in "The First Day"?
(a) A box of crayons.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A ten-cent black and white tablet.
(d) A pencil sharpener.
14. When does "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed" take place?
15. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons", how old is Miles?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which elementary school does the protagonist's mother want her to attend in "The First Day"?
2. How many times this week has Caesar dreamed of the mentally disabled woman he plans to defraud?
3. What does the janitor, Jake Horton, send to Betsy Ann?
4. What is the last thing the protagonist hears of her mother as she starts class in "The First Day"?
5. What happens to Betsy Ann's pigeons?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)