|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Clara's casket?
(c) Varnished pine.
2. What smell does the protagonist of "The First Day" notice each time she turns her head?
(a) Fresh soap.
(b) Dixie Peach hair grease.
(c) Gardenia perfume behind her ear.
(d) Chemically treated hair.
3. Whose pigeons does Betsy Ann go to visit for the second time?
(d) Miss Jenny's.
4. When does "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed" take place?
5. What is Manny doing at the table when Caesar arrives?
(a) Manny is counting cash.
(b) Manny is rolling a cigarette.
(c) Manny is eating a late breakfast.
(d) Manny is reading the Post aloud.
6. What does Janet teach Robert to do using a blond baby doll?
(a) Braid a girl's hair.
(b) Comb a girl's hair.
(c) Change a girl's diaper.
(d) Pin a girl's dress.
7. When was the last time Caesar had seen Sherman?
(a) 2 days ago.
(b) 2 weeks ago.
(c) 2 months ago.
(d) 3 days ago.
8. What interrupts Cassandra as she writes her phone number down for Wesley?
(a) The car lurches into gear.
(b) Anita begins to tease her mercilessly.
(c) Melanie screams from the front porch.
(d) Wesley changes his mind about the date.
9. What does Caesar do to convince Carol that he has read her note?
(a) Caesar calls Carol to talk to her.
(b) Caesar writes a response.
(c) Caesar crumples it strategically.
(d) Caesar drops a little coffee on the note.
10. What happens to Betsy Ann's pigeons?
(a) Betsy Ann sets them free.
(b) A neighbor, tired of the noise and smell, poisons them.
(c) All but two of the pigeons are killed by rats.
(d) The pigeons escape from the coop and fly away for good.
11. What does the protagonist of "The First Day" have for breakfast?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(b) Toasted white bread.
(c) Oatmeal and milk.
(d) Pancakes without syrup.
12. To what does the protagonist compare the admissions worker's pearls in "The First Day"?
(a) Jumbo-sized marbles.
(d) Golf balls.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the items the protagonist carries to school in "The First Day"?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A ten-cent black and white tablet.
(c) A box of crayons.
(d) A pencil sharpener.
14. What is the only reason Cassandra does not think it would be fair to shoot the fathers of Joyce's and Pearl's babies?
(a) Boys will be boys.
(b) The "It takes two to tango" rule.
(c) The boys offered to marry the girls.
(d) The boys' families would miss them.
15. What type of job does Manny offer to Caesar to tide him over until he succeeds with his heist?
(b) Busing tables.
(c) Trash detail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassandra do instead of attending class?
2. What surprising news does Clara give Jenny?
3. What is Miles' profession?
4. What is Cassandra smoking at the opening of the story?
5. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons," how many years pass before Betsy Ann wants to see the pigeons again?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)