|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Cassandra's sister and brother-in-law live?
(a) Maple View Place.
(b) Clifton Street.
(c) Kenyon Street.
(d) New York Ave.
2. In "The First Day", what time does the protagonist's mother promise to pick her up?
3. Where do Betsy Ann and her father live?
(a) In an apartment on the third floor of Jenny and Walter Creed's house.
(b) In the basement of Jenny and Walter Creed's house.
(c) In a house with Miles.
(d) In an apartment rented out by Betsy Ann's grandmother.
4. How old is the protagonist of "The First Day"?
5. Why does the protagonist's mother scold the protagonist while she is filling out paperwork in "The First Day"?
(a) The protagonist is fussing with her clothes.
(b) The protagonist is staring at a judgmental little girl.
(c) The protagonist is antagonizing another student.
(d) The protagonist is misbehaving out of boredom.
6. When the protagonist of "The First Day" initiates the "old, old game", how does her mother respond?
(a) The protagonist's mother whispers to the protagonist that she is a big girl now.
(b) The protagonist's mother breaks from her role in the game to dismiss the protagonist's action.
(c) The protagonist's mother smiles and plays along.
(d) The protagonist's mother becomes angry that the protagonist is behaving in this way publicly.
7. When the girls arrive at Mildred Harper's house, what does Mildred do?
(a) Mildred shoves Gladys and a box of possessions into the car and walks away.
(b) Mildred slaps them for daring to come to her house.
(c) Mildred feeds them a dinner of fried chicken, string beans, potato salad, and rolls.
(d) Mildred calls for Gladys to answer the door.
8. What did Anita's father tell her about Anacostia?
(a) Anacostia is a place for men to live with their mistresses.
(b) Anacostia is a place full of criminals and thieves.
(c) Anita should never go there because it is too far away.
(d) People there still live with chickens and cows.
9. What advice does Robert receive from Carleton and Carlos?
(a) "Don't go outside after dark."
(b) "Don't cross Miss Jenny."
(c) "Don't get lost in the city."
(d) "Don't overstay your welcome."
10. What does the protagonist of "The First Day" notice as her mother walks away?
(a) The spot on her sock which she darned the night before.
(b) The cheap material her purse is made from.
(c) The way her clothes do not fit.
(d) The way her mother seems out of place.
11. When does "The First Day" take place?
12. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons", how old is Miles?
13. Where did Caesar first see the mentally handicapped woman?
(a) Walking into the grocery store.
(b) Walking to work on the sidewalk.
(c) Waiting for the bus with her housemates.
(d) Standing outside the social security office.
14. How does Betsy Ann's father deal with the dead pigeons?
(a) Betsy Ann's father returns them to Miles and demands a refund.
(b) Betsy Ann's father allows her to find and deal with them as a life lesson.
(c) Betsy Ann's father places them in a burlap sack and disposes of them on the way to work.
(d) Betsy Ann's father cooks them for breakfast.
15. What does Cassandra call Rhonda Ferguson's father?
(a) Mr. Ferguson.
(b) Daddy Ferguson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which church does the protagonist's mother attend in "The First Day"?
2. What time does Caesar agree to return to Manny's that night?
3. Why does the protagonist's mother need help with the school forms in "The First Day"?
4. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons", what game do the boys play in the schoolyard?
5. What type of job does Manny offer to Caesar to tide him over until he succeeds with his heist?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)