|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons", what game do the boys play in the schoolyard?
(c) Dodge ball.
2. When the protagonist of "The First Day" initiates the "old, old game", how does her mother respond?
(a) The protagonist's mother whispers to the protagonist that she is a big girl now.
(b) The protagonist's mother breaks from her role in the game to dismiss the protagonist's action.
(c) The protagonist's mother becomes angry that the protagonist is behaving in this way publicly.
(d) The protagonist's mother smiles and plays along.
3. What does Cassandra call Rhonda Ferguson's father?
(a) Daddy Ferguson.
(d) Mr. Ferguson.
4. Where was the last place Caesar saw Sherman?
(a) His apartment.
(b) Howard Hospital.
(c) County Jail.
(d) Mt. Carmel Baptist Church.
5. What is the only reason Cassandra does not think it would be fair to shoot the fathers of Joyce's and Pearl's babies?
(a) The "It takes two to tango" rule.
(b) The boys offered to marry the girls.
(c) The boys' families would miss them.
(d) Boys will be boys.
6. What surprising news does Clara give Jenny?
(a) Clara tells Jenny that she and Robert are recently engaged.
(b) Clara tells Jenny that she and Robert are expecting.
(c) Clara tells Jenny that Robert has enlisted in the army.
(d) Clara tells Jenny that her mother has passed away.
7. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons", how old is Miles?
8. To what does the narrator compare the first set of baby pigeons?
(d) Baby vultures.
9. In "The First Day", what does the protagonist do as an "old, old game" between her and her mother?
(a) The protagonist presses her mother's lips together.
(b) The protagonist squeezes her mother's hand too tight.
(c) The protagonist bats her eyelashes.
(d) The protagonist pretends to refuse a kiss.
10. Why does the protagonist's mother need help with the school forms in "The First Day"?
(a) The protagonist's mother has never enrolled a child before.
(b) The protagonist's mother cannot read.
(c) The protagonist's mother can read but not write.
(d) The protagonist's mother does not understand the new forms.
11. How does Caesar learn the mentally disabled woman's schedule?
(a) Caesar enlists Manny to tail her for him.
(b) Caesar inquires about her at the home where she lives.
(c) Caesar enlists Carol to befriend her.
(d) Caesar follows her for two months, observing her activities.
12. What kind of car does Cassandra's brother-in-law drive?
(a) A red 1973 Dodge.
(b) A green 1957 Hollywood Hudson.
(c) A black 1978 Ford Mustang.
(d) A green 1969 Ford truck.
13. In "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed", what is Cassandra eating at the beginning of the story?
(a) A grilled cheese sandwich.
(b) Cold pizza.
(c) Two year-old Christmas candy.
14. Which of the following is NOT one of the items the protagonist carries to school in "The First Day"?
(a) A ten-cent black and white tablet.
(b) A pencil sharpener.
(c) A box of crayons.
(d) A pencil.
15. What is Miles' profession?
(b) Street sweeper.
(c) Executive assistant.
(d) Line cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist's mother see as the "beginning and end of the world"?
2. How does Rhonda die?
3. From what illness does Clara die?
4. Where does Cassandra drive Gladys Harper?
5. What type of job does Manny offer to Caesar to tide him over until he succeeds with his heist?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)