|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A woman in "The First Day" has fashioned hair curlers out of which of the following?
(a) Paper money.
(b) Candy wrappers.
(c) Cardboard tubes.
2. What put Sherman in the hospital?
(a) A drive-by shooting.
(b) A drug overdose.
(c) A robbery gone bad.
(d) A stabbing wound from a dispute.
3. Where does Jenny encounter Clara and Robert?
(a) On the subway.
(b) Standing on the sidewalk outside her house.
(c) Outside Hahn's shoe store.
(d) Walking through Central Park.
4. When does "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed" take place?
5. What kind of shirt does Manny always wear?
(a) A Hawaiian shirt.
(b) An oversized t-shirt.
(c) An undershirt.
(d) A collared dress shirt.
6. When does "The First Day" take place?
7. In "The First Day", the admissions staff members at Seaton Elementary look like models out of which of the following magazines?
(a) Marie Claire.
(c) Good Housekeeping.
8. What is the only reason Cassandra does not think it would be fair to shoot the fathers of Joyce's and Pearl's babies?
(a) Boys will be boys.
(b) The "It takes two to tango" rule.
(c) The boys offered to marry the girls.
(d) The boys' families would miss them.
9. What does Cassandra fight with her brother-in-law about?
(a) The time she is supposed to be home at night.
(b) The amount of food she eats.
(c) Cassandra's truancy.
(d) Cassandra's foul language.
10. What experience has taught Cassandra that asking questions can be dangerous?
(a) Attending school.
(b) Being an orphan.
(c) Resisting arrest.
(d) Living with her brother-in-law.
11. In "The Girl Who Raised Pigeons," how many years pass before Betsy Ann wants to see the pigeons again?
12. How does Caesar learn the mentally disabled woman's schedule?
(a) Caesar follows her for two months, observing her activities.
(b) Caesar inquires about her at the home where she lives.
(c) Caesar enlists Carol to befriend her.
(d) Caesar enlists Manny to tail her for him.
13. How does Carol communicate with Caesar before she leaves for work?
(a) Carol passive-aggressively slams cabinets and drawers.
(b) Carol tapes notes to objects he will use in the morning.
(c) Carol telephones Caesar every morning.
(d) Carol yells at him from the other room.
14. Why does the protagonist's mother need help with the school forms in "The First Day"?
(a) The protagonist's mother cannot read.
(b) The protagonist's mother has never enrolled a child before.
(c) The protagonist's mother does not understand the new forms.
(d) The protagonist's mother can read but not write.
15. In "The First Day", what does the protagonist do as an "old, old game" between her and her mother?
(a) The protagonist bats her eyelashes.
(b) The protagonist squeezes her mother's hand too tight.
(c) The protagonist presses her mother's lips together.
(d) The protagonist pretends to refuse a kiss.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cassandra drive Gladys Harper?
2. To what does the narrator compare the first set of baby pigeons?
3. Where do Betsy Ann's pigeons fly away to each morning?
4. What does Janet teach Robert to do using a blond baby doll?
5. In "The Night Rhonda Ferguson Was Killed", what is Cassandra eating at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)