|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Institutional life for violent boys should communicate __________________.
2. Some children are more affected by this than others, according to psychologist Leonard Eron.
3. What percentage of American kids have been found to be in need of professional mental health intervention?
4. What has Terrence Real identified as one of the major sources of depression in males?
5. Learning about the destruction of human bodies is __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the measure of wealth to a child difficult?
2. What forces are at work when identifying preventative measures and acting on them, in terms of violent youth?
3. What is emotional intelligence, and why do violent boys have lowered emotional intellect?
4. What are the four motives of teenagers to be drawn to guns, revealed in the study by Jeremy Shapiro?
5. What is terminal thinking, and why is it a problem for violent teens?
6. What is Garbarino's monastery method?
7. According to Garbarino, what does the masculine socialization in America mean to boys, and what is the effect?
8. What is social support, as a foundation for resilience, and what are the two dimensions of social support?
9. Explain social toxicity, and be sure to include what it is, what it consists of, and why it is important to Garbarino.
10. What is the debate on the role of government and public institutions in child development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, statistics are used to support many of the concepts within the book. On the other hand, Garbarino himself mentions the limitations of statistics as he discusses the numbers of homicides each year. Discuss the limitations of statistics, as discussed by Garbarino. Be sure to include why the numbers may be false, and how they may be misread. Next, apply the same concepts to the statistics Garbarino himself uses in the book. What are the dangers of using statistics to support ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the "boot camp" method of juvenile administration with the Monastery method Garbarino supports. Be sure to discuss what is included in each, underlying principles, and basic concepts, as well as explaining why Garbarino favors the monastery method, and why he believes it is so beneficial for violent youths.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to the psychological anchors mentioned in the book, there are also social anchors that are vital to keeping youth away from violence. Choose three of the following, and discuss them, making sure to discuss not only how they help keep kids from violence, but how they compliment psychological anchors.
5. Economic Equality
6. Institutions That Foster Human Rights
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)