|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does psychiatrist James Gilligan believe most acts of violence are caused by?
2. Why do violent boys appear arrogant, according to Garbarino?
3. Terrance Real's work showed that emotional blockage in violent boys is partially a result of ________________.
4. Institutional life for violent boys should communicate __________________.
5. Garbarino claims some boys seek out images of evil and become addicted to them as a way of responding to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most effective violence prevention and reduction program?
2. Explain Kohlberg's system of moral intellect.
3. Explain social toxicity, and be sure to include what it is, what it consists of, and why it is important to Garbarino.
4. What is resilience? Explain what the study done by psychologist Pat Tolan shows in terms of how things can overcome resilience.
5. What is Garbarino's monastery method?
6. What is the zone of proximal development?
7. What is Garbarino's belief about what is involved in a complete rehabilitation program for violent boys?
8. Explain Garbarino's point about moral and legal legitimacy for non-violent adults, or how we define immoral killing.
9. What are the five anchoring effects spirituality has on children?
10. What is a moral circle, and how does this affect violent teens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are ten facts of life that Garbarino believes are vital to understanding the problem of violent youths (pg 217 - 232). Each of these, he believes, implies concepts that can be used for rehabilitation programs. Choose three of these, and discuss what they are, how the affect youths and youth violence, and what implications it has for treatment and rehabilitation.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to the psychological anchors mentioned in the book, there are also social anchors that are vital to keeping youth away from violence. Choose three of the following, and discuss them, making sure to discuss not only how they help keep kids from violence, but how they compliment psychological anchors.
5. Economic Equality
6. Institutions That Foster Human Rights
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, statistics are used to support many of the concepts within the book. On the other hand, Garbarino himself mentions the limitations of statistics as he discusses the numbers of homicides each year. Discuss the limitations of statistics, as discussed by Garbarino. Be sure to include why the numbers may be false, and how they may be misread. Next, apply the same concepts to the statistics Garbarino himself uses in the book. What are the dangers of using statistics to support ideas?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)