|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other areas in the world have seen youth violence due to racism and cultural values?
2. Rejected children are at a higher risk for __________________.
3. How many homicides are there in the U.S. each year?
4. What has been shown to increase obedience during infancy?
5. How did an end to segregation allow for the growth of youth violence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how disassociation can help lead to violence.
2. Explain the four factors that help keep a young soul from dying?
3. What are the three options in terms of the development of aggressive and violent boys?
4. Explain what researchers Patrick Tolan and Nancy Guerra discover are the most effective treatments for delinquency and criminally violent youth.
5. Describe the concept of the tipping point.
6. Explain 'Conduct Disorder', and why it is a useful, but dangerous, label.
7. In addition to negative social maps, what are two other links between abuse and child develop issues?
8. Explain how this problem in small cities in magnified by the educational system.
9. Explain why suicides should be included in rates of youth violence.
10. Explain negative social maps, and how they develop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss the four factors that can help keep a young person from becoming despondent, or as Garbarino puts it, "keep a soul from dying". Be sure to discuss not only the four factors, but how those factors help to keep the "inner light" of young people alive, despite any negative circumstances they may be in.
Essay Topic 2
The seventh line of defense against youth violence mentioned in the book is that of character education. What is character education? What do current character education programs focus on? What is needed for character education to work? How does it help to detoxify the social environment? Do you think character education is a realistic goal? Why or why not? What obstacles do you see for these programs? Have any shown to be successful? Where?
Essay Topic 3
In addition to the psychological anchors mentioned in the book, there are also social anchors that are vital to keeping youth away from violence. Choose three of the following, and discuss them, making sure to discuss not only how they help keep kids from violence, but how they compliment psychological anchors.
5. Economic Equality
6. Institutions That Foster Human Rights
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)