|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trauma occurs when overwhelming ideas combine with ____________________.
(a) Overwhelming feelings.
(b) Overwhelming peer pressure.
(c) Overwhelming parental abuse.
(d) Overwhelming thoughts.
2. How many teens in 1992 believed you could trust others?
(a) Nineteen percent.
(b) Fifty percent.
(c) Seventy five percent.
(d) Two percent.
3. The 'abuse excuse' defense is believed to occur when boys make up incidents of abuse, in order to __________________________.
(a) Escape punishment.
(b) Gain sympathy from judges.
(c) Anger their parents.
(d) Gain respect.
4. Many extremely violent boys have experienced trauma to ___________________.
(a) Their spirits.
(b) Their legs.
(c) Their souls.
(d) Their brains.
5. A lack of positive purpose is one of the consequences of _____________________.
(a) Early violence.
(c) Early social issues.
(d) Early abandonment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boot camps are places that use ____________________.
2. Learning about the destruction of human bodies is __________________.
3. Many youths who participate in violence are found to have been these during childhood.
4. What has Terrence Real identified as one of the major sources of depression in males?
5. What is the term used to signify, among other things, the ability to read emotions of others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is emotional intelligence, and why do violent boys have lowered emotional intellect?
2. What are home visiting programs, and why do they work?
3. Explain why military veterans are not violent, considering they have both depersonalized the enemy and have been desensitized.
4. What are the four breakdowns of childhood protection that Garbarino discusses in the book?
5. What is terminal thinking, and why is it a problem for violent teens?
6. How do positive connections and relationships help vulnerable youths to avoid violence?
7. What are depersonalization and desensitization, and how do they encourage violence?
8. Explain trauma, and why and how the learning of human fragility can be traumatic.
9. What is the zone of proximal development?
10. What is social support, as a foundation for resilience, and what are the two dimensions of social support?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)