|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The term used in the book for the negative elements of the social environment that contaminate children is ___________________.
(a) Social bias.
(b) Social toxicity.
(c) Social pressure.
(d) Social relations.
2. The weakness of this trend may not always be apparent, but does little to help in crisis.
(a) Political activism.
3. This disease is one caused by trauma.
4. Learning about the destruction of human bodies is __________________.
5. What does Garbarino claim we think when we ask if violent youth have any morals?
(a) He believes most think they have morals.
(b) He believes most think they have no morals.
(c) He believes most think they have morals, but are confused.
(d) He believes most think they have morals, but don't follow them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Terrence Real identified as one of the major sources of depression in males?
2. What is the term for the identifying line of those we feel morally obligated to?
3. Early recognition of this disorder, along with proper treatment, is the fifth line of defense.
4. What generates an "intolerability of existence", according to Gilligan?
5. What is deadly petulance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two types of trauma, and why is one worse than the other?
2. What are depersonalization and desensitization, and how do they encourage violence?
3. What is the debate on the role of government and public institutions in child development?
4. What forces are at work when identifying preventative measures and acting on them, in terms of violent youth?
5. What is resilience? Explain what the study done by psychologist Pat Tolan shows in terms of how things can overcome resilience.
6. What is a moral circle, and how does this affect violent teens?
7. According to James Gilligan, what causes the intolerable existence of violent youths, and what is the effect?
8. Explain why military veterans are not violent, considering they have both depersonalized the enemy and have been desensitized.
9. What does Garbarino point out in his ten facts of violent life in terms of the temperament of violent youth?
10. What is terminal thinking, and why is it a problem for violent teens?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)