|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the homicide rates of war veterans so much smaller?
(a) They are socially supported.
(b) They have military discipline.
(c) They are not angry.
(d) They are afraid of government.
2. Positive parenting practices stimulate _____________________.
(a) Healthy relationships.
(b) Healthy child development.
(c) Healthy physical development.
(d) Healthy psychological development.
3. A lack of positive purpose is one of the consequences of _____________________.
(a) Early abandonment.
(c) Early violence.
(d) Early social issues.
4. In a negative social environment, vulnerable children should be understood as __________________.
(a) Little boys.
(c) Social asthmatics.
(d) Social outcasts.
5. Incorporating both male and female characteristics is called ___________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Learning about the destruction of human bodies is __________________.
2. According to Garbarino, the presence of guns means __________________.
3. An extreme lack of confidence in the future is called ___________________.
4. The human impulse to focus on the legacy we leave behind for future generations is called __________________.
5. Garbarino believes that as children pass into adolescence, they are more vulnerable to ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Garbarino's point about moral and legal legitimacy for non-violent adults, or how we define immoral killing.
2. According to James Gilligan, what causes the intolerable existence of violent youths, and what is the effect?
3. What are the two types of trauma, and why is one worse than the other?
4. What are the four breakdowns of childhood protection that Garbarino discusses in the book?
5. What is a moral circle, and how does this affect violent teens?
6. What forces are at work when identifying preventative measures and acting on them, in terms of violent youth?
7. What is the debate on the role of government and public institutions in child development?
8. What are home visiting programs, and why do they work?
9. What is Garbarino's belief about what is involved in a complete rehabilitation program for violent boys?
10. Explain why military veterans are not violent, considering they have both depersonalized the enemy and have been desensitized.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)