Preface - Chapter 1
• Garbarino discusses risk factors for youth violence, and their causes.
• Statistics of youth violence are mentioned, and analyzed in terms of their reliability and shortcomings.
• The individual person is stressed, as opposed to the group of violent youths as a whole.
• The destruction of the soul is discussed, in terms of how the soul is affected by abandonment and abuse, and how this contributes to youth violence.
• Early childhood development is analyzed to determine early risk factors for later violent behavior.
• Parental abandonment and rejection is discussed, as a precursor to shame and depression which lead to violence.
• Risk accumulation is discussed as the primary cause of violent behavior.
• Reactions to abuse such as negative social maps, disassociation, compartmentalization, and a lack of fear are discussed as precursors to youth violence.
• Garbarino discusses how children learn about and become violent.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)