|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What team has still not arrived at dawn?
2. What does Elin do that makes Juliet happy?
3. Where do the teams prepare to go next?
4. Who or what made the Giant's Causeway?
5. What do Justin and Abby realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbara have Carl and Laura do individually?
2. How do Justin and Abby lose their ride for the hotel leg of their time in Sweden?
3. What is an indication that Laura and Carl are becoming emotionally involved?
4. What does Cassie figure out about her and Juliet's clue and what does Juliet say about her map reading skills?
5. What happens between Ken and Justin in the men's restroom?
6. What do Abby and Justin discuss on the plane while playing hangman?
7. How do Eli and Barbara confront Justin?
8. What two clues are presented and in what format?
9. What does Justin do when he and Abby arrive at Giant's Causeway and what is his comment about the Causeway?
10. How do Justin and Abby fare with their letters clue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laura wonders how she could have missed her daughter's pregnancy. She admits to having been preoccupied with herself, and is ashamed of that knowledge. Having recently lost over a hundred pounds, Laura decided to put herself and her new body out there and joined a dating site where she met Curtis. Looking back on the whole thing, she can't believe that she didn't see the signs earlier, but Curtis is a lunatic. She extricates herself from the relationship, but knows now that she let her daughter down and wonders if she will ever be forgiven. Thinking about it now, she can't imagine the pain and suffering her little girl endured alone and knows the regret will haunt her for the rest of her life.
1. Do you think Laura should feel ashamed about being so detached from her daughter who is old enough to become pregnant? Why or why not? Use examples from Lost and Found and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the dynamics of a woman losing 100 pounds and then meeting a man. Do you think it is obvious that Laura might get wrapped up with someone like Curtis after changing so drastically? Why or why not? Use examples from Lost and Found and your own life to support your answer.
3. How do you think enduring a pregnancy by herself, one in which her mother does not even notice, has affected Cassie, both mentally and emotionally? Use examples from Lost and Found and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Lost and Found. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Provide examples.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Lost and Found. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? Provide examples.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Lost and Found. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Also consider the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Lost and Found based on the criteria you decide upon in #1 and determine whether Lost and Found is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Lost and Found a successful novel? What about younger readers (teens)?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)