|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Julia Mortimer's will, who must attend her funeral?
2. Where does Julia Mortimer state that she wants to be buried?
3. Who does Granny tell the family is the person who could be Gloria's mother?
4. What do the women at the reunion try and force feed to Gloria after she says she doesn't want to be a Beecham?
5. What does the family, led by Beulah, do at the end of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of humor in the book. What reason might the author have for putting such humor in the book? What might the author be saying about the true nature of the book's characters based on her use of humor?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the character Jack has shown an overwhelming need to please his family in the book.
Part 1.) What reason does Jack have for wanting to please his family?
Part 2.) What might Jack be trying to prove by trying so hard to please his family?
Essay Topic 3
What reasons does the family have for their lack of trust for outsiders in the book. What is telling of this distrust in terms of their ability to live in a realistic world? What might the author be saying about the true nature of the family members based on this lack of trusting outsiders?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)