|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beulah sent to fetch that results in Sam Dale being struck by coal when he is a baby?
2. How does Jack respond when Gloria mentions that they may be cousins?
3. How does Uncle Nathan say he killed Mr. Dearman?
4. Who decides to pitch a tent in the yard rather than go home after the reunion?
5. What does Jack reveal to his family that he rode out of jail on in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the family's devotion to one another. What reasons do they have for such devotion? In what way does the family not show the same devotion to outsiders of the family, namely Gloria? What is telling of these actions in terms of the nature of the importance family holds to them?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, education has been a common theme linking each part together.
Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the society of the people in the book based on this portrayal of education?
Part 2.) In what way does Julia Mortimer's character represent the positive impact education could have on the book's characters had they given her the chance?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the character Jack has shown an overwhelming need to please his family in the book.
Part 1.) What reason does Jack have for wanting to please his family?
Part 2.) What might Jack be trying to prove by trying so hard to please his family?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)