|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gloria tell Jack that Julia Mortimer did not want for her at the end of Part 2?
2. Who does Jack say will accompany him to get back at Judge Moody at the end of Part 1?
3. Who arrives in a school bus after Judge Moody's car wreck?
4. Who sneaks up on Jack and his bunch when they scramble up a tree at Banner Top?
5. Who is the person who was an orphan at the Ludlow Presbyterian Orphan Asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the family's discussion of Julia Mortimer's actions during a cyclone?
2. Describe the contents of the letter Judge Moody reads from Julia Mortimer in Part 4.
3. What reason does Beulah give the family to prove that Sam Dale couldn't be Gloria's father?
4. What does Gloria say to Jack when he tells her she will be able to pay her respects to Julia Mortimer at the end of Part 2?
5. What does Gloria discuss with Jack at the beginning of Part 5?
6. What happens once Jack, Curly, and the others try to get Judge Moody's car unstuck in Part 6?
7. What do we learn Mr., Renfro did during the night at the beginning of Part 6?
8. How does Willy Trimble say Julia Mortimer died?
9. What is the nature of the errand Miss Beulah sends Vaughn on at the cemetery in Part 1?
10. What happens when Jack tries to use Bet to get Moody's car unstuck in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Community plays an interesting and sometimes background role in the book.
Part 1.) Discuss what community represents to the members of the reunion?
Part 2.) How has the family tried to set themselves apart from the rest of their community?
Part 3.) What clues are given to suggest that the rest of the community in which the book is based hold similar qualities to the members of the reunion?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the character Jack has shown an overwhelming need to please his family in the book.
Part 1.) What reason does Jack have for wanting to please his family?
Part 2.) What might Jack be trying to prove by trying so hard to please his family?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of hope in the book. What does hope represent to the book's characters?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)