|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gloria and Lady May drink from after Jack draws them water?
2. Where does Curly say he is going when he finally leaves the scene of the wreck?
3. What office does Uncle Homer say he is running against Curly for?
4. What is the name of the person who leads the bus away?
5. What does Vaughn return to the reunion with when her returns from the cemetery with Miss Lexie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jack's interaction with Lady May for the first time.
2. What reason does Beulah give the family to prove that Sam Dale couldn't be Gloria's father?
3. How does Willy Trimble say Julia Mortimer died?
4. What happens when Lady May starts sliding down the bank towards the road?
5. How does the family react when Jack arrives at the family reunion for the first time?
6. How do the women at the reunion act towards Gloria when she says she doesn't want to be a Beecham?
7. What is the nature of the family's discussion of Julia Mortimer's actions during a cyclone?
8. How is the Renfro Bible described and used in Part 3?
9. What does Gloria discuss with Jack at the beginning of Part 5?
10. What happens when Jack tries to take his truck back from Curly in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of humor in the book. What reason might the author have for putting such humor in the book? What might the author be saying about the true nature of the book's characters based on her use of humor?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, education has been a common theme linking each part together.
Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the society of the people in the book based on this portrayal of education?
Part 2.) In what way does Julia Mortimer's character represent the positive impact education could have on the book's characters had they given her the chance?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jack and Vaughn in the book. In what way might Vaughn be the better candidate for family leader over Jack? What reasons can account for this?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)