|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack say will accompany him to get back at Judge Moody at the end of Part 1?
2. What does the person who stands up and says he is going to jail with Jack after his sentencing say he was helping himself to during Jack's fight with Curly?
3. Which member of the family dies while Jack is in prison?
4. What is the only thing the person who Jack and Gloria first run into during their journey doesn't drop when they reach him?
5. What is the name of the schoolteacher in the town as told in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contents of the letter Judge Moody reads from Julia Mortimer in Part 4.
2. How is Julia Mortimer's funeral described?
3. What does Gloria reveal to Jack regarding a letter Julia Mortimer had sent her in Part 5?
4. How is the Renfro Bible described and used in Part 3?
5. How do the members of the reunion react after hearing the stipulations of Julia Mortimer's will?
6. What does Gloria say to Jack when he tells her she will be able to pay her respects to Julia Mortimer at the end of Part 2?
7. What does Uncle Homer do when he passes Jack trying to help the Moody's retrieve their car?
8. Describe what happens when Jack begins driving the school bus.
9. How does Jack react after Brother Bethune forgives Judge Moody on behalf of the reunion?
10. How does Gloria react after Granny Vaughn shows a picture of Sam Dale with a note on the back from her Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of humor in the book. What reason might the author have for putting such humor in the book? What might the author be saying about the true nature of the book's characters based on her use of humor?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact Jack's return has on Vaughn in the book. What effect could his return have in a positive and negative respect? What role might Vaughn's education be able to play in the future to secure him a more respected spot in the family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the family reunion in the book. In what way does it help frame the story overall?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)