|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the unicorn uncomfortable?
2. Why might the horse be a good one?
3. What is wrong with the castle's maze?
4. Who calls Magrat a girl?
5. What is the second witch singing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the wizards meet Casanunda?
2. What convinces Ridcully to attend the distant wedding?
3. Why is Jason Ogg visited that windy night?
4. What happens when Diamanda reaches the elf queen?
5. Who discovers the fate of William Scrope?
6. What does Jason tell Nanny about Diamanda?
7. How does William Scrope die?
8. What does Magrat do with her old witching gear?
9. Why does the Librarian have to wear a collar?
10. Who else manages to come through the circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences between Granny Weatherwax and Gytha Ogg. How different are their lives, and what choices may have created the differences? What are their strengths and weaknesses as individuals? In what way is this relationship used to develop the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the narrative's setting. What is the impact of it being set in a magical world? Why does the author choose a magical realm as a setting? What might have been different in the book if it had been written in the past, future, or a realistic setting?
Essay Topic 3
How does Pratchett depict multiple fantasy in the book? How does it differ from other styles of fantasy? Do you think that Pratchett's version of magic is effective? In what way has he changed the idea of true magic to suit the story?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)