|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Merry so upset when Theoden and his army head off to battle?
2. Who saves Sam and Frodo from a fiery death on Mount Doom?
3. What happen to Pppin when he looks into the Seeing Stone from Orthnac?
4. What does Gollum see after their climb up the stairs that softens his heart towards Sam for a moment?
5. What is the name of Gollum's kinder split pesonality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frodo endures a crucial test of sorts before the end of the novel. What lessons does Frodo learn through this experience, and do you think Frodo deserved what he got in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gandalf endures death and is reborn with newer and higher powers. Compare and contrast Gandalf the Grey with Gandalf the White. Was this change necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the Ring play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the Ring?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)