|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gandalf decide to go when they see a Nazul flying by as they are leaving Isengard?
2. What is on the head of the statue of a king that Frodo and Sam see as they journey to the less traveled path to Mordor?
3. Who is following Sam and Frodo as they are journeying towards Mordor?
4. What do Frodo and Sam just barely escape the notice of on the bridge to Minas Morgul.
5. Why are the men of Gondor worried when Gandalf rides past them with Pippin on his way to Minas Tirith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandalf endures death and is reborn with newer and higher powers. Compare and contrast Gandalf the Grey with Gandalf the White. Was this change necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does Theoden say as he is dying, and how does this statement effect Eowyn? How do these last words change the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the Ring play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the Ring?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)