|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aragorn use to heal Merry and Eowyn?
2. What is the name of the main entrance to Mordor?
3. How many tiers of stairs does Gandalf have to ride to get to the hall of Denethor?
4. What gift doe Eowyn give Merry after he is made a soldier of Gondor?
5. What does Bill Ferny do when he sees Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin all standing on Brandywine Bridge heavily armed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandalf endures death and is reborn with newer and higher powers. Compare and contrast Gandalf the Grey with Gandalf the White. Was this change necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react?
Essay Topic 3
Anger and its consequences are major themes presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)