|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merry feel like as he rides with Legolas and Gimli towards Helm's Deep after the parley at Isengard?
2. What does Sam do when Frodo collapses half way up Mount Doom?
3. What signal is brought to Theoden that means Gondor is in dire need?
4. Who does the leader of the band of men in Ithilien tell Frodo has been killed?
5. What does Gandalf do when he sees the beheaded statue of the king as they are leaving Minas Tirith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger and its consequences are major themes presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Galadriel was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Galadriel had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of unlikely friendships forged in this book. Please explain some of these friendships, and describe how the relationship was forged, as well as how the relationship affected the outcome of the book.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)