|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sends 3 of the 5 Black Riders away as Frodo and Glorfindel are rushing to Rivendell?
2. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
3. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
4. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
5. What is Galadriel's gift to Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the entrance to Mordor that Gollum leads Sam and Frodo to?
2. Who is the first person that Frodo sees when he awakens in Rivendell after his ride with Glorfindel?
3. How do Frodo and Sam find out that Gollum is probably following them through Mordor as they journey towards Mount Doom?
4. What is the name of the leader of the Eagles?
5. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
6. What does Aragorn finally get to do when Elrond gives him the scepter of Gondor?
7. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
8. Why does Pippin throw a stone down the well in Moria while they are trying to decide which way to go?
9. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
10. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are Sam's final words, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Eowyn has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this? How is the course of the plot re-directed due to Eowyn's actions?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)