Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
2. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
3. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
4. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
5. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shelob?
2. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
3. What do the hobbits call the men that live in Bree?
4. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
5. Where do the elves in Lothlorien build their houses?
6. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
7. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
8. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
9. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
10. What is the name of the herb that Aragorn uses to try and heal Frodo's wound from the Ringwraiths?
Aragorn is a wandering ranger. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Aragorn's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
Many different types of beings are described in this book? Choose 3 of these separate races, and describe their attributes and the role that each race played in the outcome of the plot.
Merry and Pippin are a very integral part of this plot. How do their actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think they are aware of what they are doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)