|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
2. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
3. Why does Frodo choose to continue his journey alone?
4. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
5. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
2. Who kills Lotho at Bag End?
3. What strange event took place during the first night of battle at Helm's Deep that seems to make the Orc army so fearful?
4. How do Merry and Pippin get released from their ropes while being held captive by the Uruk-hai?
5. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
6. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
7. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
8. What is the crown of the beheaded king's statue made of?
9. How was Boramir killed?
10. What is the name of the herb that Aragorn uses to try and heal Frodo's wound from the Ringwraiths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is set in many different locations. Compare and contrast these locations. How did these different places affect the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Frodo endures a crucial test of sorts before the end of the novel. What lessons does Frodo learn through this experience, and do you think Frodo deserved what he got in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of unlikely friendships forged in this book. Please explain some of these friendships, and describe how the relationship was forged, as well as how the relationship affected the outcome of the book.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)