|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
2. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
3. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
4. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
5. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
2. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
3. What is the name of the entrance to Mordor that Gollum leads Sam and Frodo to?
4. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
5. What is Faramir supposed to do to Gollum when he finds Gollum catching fish by the waterfall in Ithilien?
6. Who kills Lotho at Bag End?
7. Why do Sam and Frodo travel through the Dead Marshes to get to Mordor?
8. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
9. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
10. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Frodo choose to leave Middle Earth, and what effects will his absence have on the characters left behind?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 characters and determine the primary motivation for each. How did each of their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Eowyn has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this? How is the course of the plot re-directed due to Eowyn's actions?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)