|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
2. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
3. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
4. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
5. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
2. Where do the elves in Lothlorien build their houses?
3. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
4. What is the name of the herb that Aragorn uses to try and heal Frodo's wound from the Ringwraiths?
5. Why did the hobbits' ponies run away from the Barrows, according to Tom Bombadil?
6. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
7. What do the hobbits call the men that live in Bree?
8. What are Hurons, according to Treebeard?
9. How do Merry and Pippin get released from their ropes while being held captive by the Uruk-hai?
10. What is Faramir supposed to do to Gollum when he finds Gollum catching fish by the waterfall in Ithilien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandalf endures death and is reborn with newer and higher powers. Compare and contrast Gandalf the Grey with Gandalf the White. Was this change necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Merry and Pippin are a very integral part of this plot. How do their actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think they are aware of what they are doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Many different types of beings are described in this book? Choose 3 of these separate races, and describe their attributes and the role that each race played in the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)