|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
2. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
3. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
4. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
5. What is Treebeard's motto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange event took place during the first night of battle at Helm's Deep that seems to make the Orc army so fearful?
2. How does Sam get past the Silent Watchers in Cirith Ungol?
3. Who does Aragorn give the Wild Woods to as the funeral march for Theoden passes through them?
4. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
5. As Gandalf and the hobbits approach the Shire, who does Gandalf decide to spend some time with?
6. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
7. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
8. What are Hurons, according to Treebeard?
9. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
10. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Sam's final words, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 characters and determine the primary motivation for each. How did each of their goals affect the characters around them?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)