|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
2. What is Tom symbolic of?
3. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
4. What happens when Tom puts on the Ring?
5. Where does Gandalf advise Theoden to go before he leaves them on an urgent errand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denethor send his son into an almost suicidal battle at Osgiliath?
2. What are Hurons, according to Treebeard?
3. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
4. Who does Tom Bombadil say that he is when asked by Frodo and Sam?
5. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
6. What is the prophecy about the Nazgul King that makes him think he is invincible?
7. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
8. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
9. Why does Pippin volunteer to serve Denethor when he is brought to the Stewards Hall at Minas Tirith?
10. What is Merry and Pippin's reaction to the news that Frodo and Sam are leaving the Shire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Theoden say as he is dying, and how does this statement effect Eowyn? How do these last words change the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Merry and Pippin are a very integral part of this plot. How do their actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think they are aware of what they are doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Many different types of beings are described in this book? Choose 3 of these separate races, and describe their attributes and the role that each race played in the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)