|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
2. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
3. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
4. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
5. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shelob?
2. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
3. What do the hobbits call the men that live in Bree?
4. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
5. Where do the elves in Lothlorien build their houses?
6. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
7. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
8. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
9. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
10. What is the name of the herb that Aragorn uses to try and heal Frodo's wound from the Ringwraiths?
Essay Topic 1
Galadriel was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Galadriel had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Sauran uses many different lies and tools to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these, and how did they poison the characters who fell prey to them?
Essay Topic 3
This book is set in many different locations. Compare and contrast these locations. How did these different places affect the outcome of the book?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)