|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
2. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
3. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
4. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
5. Why was Gandalf not welcome any longer in King Theoden's hall, according to Eomer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sam and Frodo travel through the Dead Marshes to get to Mordor?
2. What do Sam and Frodo do when they finally get to a path that heads straight towards Mount Doom instead of paths that cross through Orc army camps?
3. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
4. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
5. Who kills Lotho at Bag End?
6. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
7. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
8. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
9. Why did the hobbits' ponies run away from the Barrows, according to Tom Bombadil?
10. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galadriel was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Galadriel had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Sauran uses many different lies and tools to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these, and how did they poison the characters who fell prey to them?
Essay Topic 3
Many different types of beings are described in this book? Choose 3 of these separate races, and describe their attributes and the role that each race played in the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)