|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
2. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
3. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
4. Why does Frodo choose to continue his journey alone?
5. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aragorn finally get to do when Elrond gives him the scepter of Gondor?
2. What do Sam and Frodo do when they finally get to a path that heads straight towards Mount Doom instead of paths that cross through Orc army camps?
3. Why is Sam so determined to travel with Frodo as Frodo tries to leave alone?
4. Why does Pippin volunteer to serve Denethor when he is brought to the Stewards Hall at Minas Tirith?
5. Why did the hobbits' ponies run away from the Barrows, according to Tom Bombadil?
6. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
7. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
8. Who does Aragorn give the Wild Woods to as the funeral march for Theoden passes through them?
9. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
10. What is Faramir's name for the Ring of Power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of unlikely friendships forged in this book. Please explain some of these friendships, and describe how the relationship was forged, as well as how the relationship affected the outcome of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Gandalf endures death and is reborn with newer and higher powers. Compare and contrast Gandalf the Grey with Gandalf the White. Was this change necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Aragorn is a wandering ranger. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Aragorn's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)