|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many doors are there for Gandalf to choose from when he becomes stumped while traveling through Moria?
2. What is Tom symbolic of?
3. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
4. What does Frodo see crawling to his friends when he awakes in the burrow?
5. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
2. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
3. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
4. Why is Sauron preparing a major attack on Minas Tirith?
5. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
6. What does Aragorn do to let Sauron know that the true heir of the Gondor throne has returned?
7. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
8. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
9. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
10. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eowyn has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this? How is the course of the plot re-directed due to Eowyn's actions?
Essay Topic 2
Galadriel was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Galadriel had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the Ring play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the Ring?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)