|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
2. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
3. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
4. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
5. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
2. What are the Nazgul spreading among Gandalf's army as they stand at the Black Gates?
3. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
4. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
5. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
6. What are Hurons, according to Treebeard?
7. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
8. Why do Sam and Frodo travel through the Dead Marshes to get to Mordor?
9. What is the crown of the beheaded king's statue made of?
10. What is the prophecy about the Nazgul King that makes him think he is invincible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 characters and determine the primary motivation for each. How did each of their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Aragorn is a wandering ranger. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Aragorn's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Anger and its consequences are major themes presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)