|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
2. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
3. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
4. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
5. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Merry and Pippin get released from their ropes while being held captive by the Uruk-hai?
2. What dos Denethor do out of grief for his dead sons?
3. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
4. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
5. What is the crown of the beheaded king's statue made of?
6. What is Shelob?
7. What is Faramir's name for the Ring of Power?
8. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
9. Why does Denethor send his son into an almost suicidal battle at Osgiliath?
10. Who is the first person that Frodo sees when he awakens in Rivendell after his ride with Glorfindel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sauran uses many different lies and tools to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these, and how did they poison the characters who fell prey to them?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different types of beings are described in this book? Choose 3 of these separate races, and describe their attributes and the role that each race played in the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)