|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
2. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
3. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
4. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
5. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
2. Why does Denethor send his son into an almost suicidal battle at Osgiliath?
3. Why is Sam so determined to travel with Frodo as Frodo tries to leave alone?
4. Why does the companionship turn back from their initial plan to cross the mountains?
5. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
6. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
7. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
8. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
9. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
10. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react?
Essay Topic 2
Gandalf endures death and is reborn with newer and higher powers. Compare and contrast Gandalf the Grey with Gandalf the White. Was this change necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Aragorn is a wandering ranger. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Aragorn's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)