|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
2. Why does Aragorn decide to travel on boats down the river when they leave Lothlorien?
3. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
4. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
5. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
2. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
3. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
4. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
5. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
6. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
7. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
8. What does Gimli think of the trees in the forest that the companionship travel through to get to Isengard after the battle at Helm's Deep?
9. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
10. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
Essay Topic 1
How does Gollum die, and why is this so significant? What message is Tolkien trying to send with Gollum's death?
Essay Topic 2
What does Theoden say as he is dying, and how does this statement effect Eowyn? How do these last words change the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Aragorn is a wandering ranger. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Aragorn's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)