|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
2. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
3. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
4. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
5. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gimli think of the trees in the forest that the companionship travel through to get to Isengard after the battle at Helm's Deep?
2. What is the prophecy about the Nazgul King that makes him think he is invincible?
3. What is Faramir's name for the Ring of Power?
4. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
5. What causes Frodo to trust Strider after finding that he snuck in to the hobbits' private room?
6. What are the Nazgul spreading among Gandalf's army as they stand at the Black Gates?
7. What is the stone called that caused Pippin so much pain when he looked into it?
8. Who does Aragorn give the Wild Woods to as the funeral march for Theoden passes through them?
9. What is Faramir supposed to do to Gollum when he finds Gollum catching fish by the waterfall in Ithilien?
10. Why do Sam and Frodo travel through the Dead Marshes to get to Mordor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the Ring play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the Ring?
Essay Topic 3
Sauran uses many different lies and tools to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these, and how did they poison the characters who fell prey to them?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)