|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
2. Who was imprisoned with Saruman after Isengard was detroyed?
3. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
4. Why does Aragorn decide to travel on boats down the river when they leave Lothlorien?
5. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Frodo to trust Strider after finding that he snuck in to the hobbits' private room?
2. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
3. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
4. What is Faramir supposed to do to Gollum when he finds Gollum catching fish by the waterfall in Ithilien?
5. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
6. How do Frodo and Sam find out that Gollum is probably following them through Mordor as they journey towards Mount Doom?
7. Who does Aragorn give the Wild Woods to as the funeral march for Theoden passes through them?
8. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
9. Why does Denethor send his son into an almost suicidal battle at Osgiliath?
10. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eowyn has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this? How is the course of the plot re-directed due to Eowyn's actions?
Essay Topic 2
Galadriel was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Galadriel had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)