|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
2. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
3. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
4. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
5. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the hobbits' ponies run away from the Barrows, according to Tom Bombadil?
2. What is Eomer's initial reaction to Aragorn?
3. What is Shelob?
4. What does Aragorn do to let Sauron know that the true heir of the Gondor throne has returned?
5. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
6. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
7. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
8. As Gandalf and the hobbits approach the Shire, who does Gandalf decide to spend some time with?
9. What strange event took place during the first night of battle at Helm's Deep that seems to make the Orc army so fearful?
10. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is involved in the scene on Mount Doom, and what do they each have to gain by doing this? How does this scene affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Frodo choose to leave Middle Earth, and what effects will his absence have on the characters left behind?
Essay Topic 3
Merry and Pippin are a very integral part of this plot. How do their actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think they are aware of what they are doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)