|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
(a) Bilbo Baggins.
(b) Mr. Underhill.
(c) Gandalf Stormcrow.
(d) Mr. Rider
2. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
(a) He is the enemy of nature.
(b) He is a man poisoned by greed and blind to evil.
(c) He was once a gracious man.
(d) He has a mind of metal and wheels.
3. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The Withywindle River.
(b) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(c) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(d) The spells cast on it by wizards.
4. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(b) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(c) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
(d) The Black Nights killing his father.
5. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
(b) A Dark Rider.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
2. What happens when Tom puts on the Ring?
3. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
4. Why does Aragorn decide to travel on boats down the river when they leave Lothlorien?
5. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pippin throw a stone down the well in Moria while they are trying to decide which way to go?
2. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
3. Who does Aragorn give the Wild Woods to as the funeral march for Theoden passes through them?
4. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
5. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
6. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
7. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
8. What causes Frodo to trust Strider after finding that he snuck in to the hobbits' private room?
9. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
10. How do Merry and Pippin get released from their ropes while being held captive by the Uruk-hai?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)