|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) The Ring is losing its power.
(b) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(c) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
(d) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
2. Where do Merry and Pippin run when they are freed of their ropes as the Rohirram begin attacking the Orcs?
(a) Back the way they came.
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(c) To the Rohirram men.
(d) They dig a hole and hide in it.
3. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) A fortnight.
4. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
(a) He is excited to show his bravery during the next trial they will face.
(b) He is afraid that there may be more danger involved now that he has joined them.
(c) He is disappointed about missing the action.
(d) He is happy to have avoided harm.
5. Why does Frodo choose to continue his journey alone?
(a) He saw himself travelling alone in Galadriel's mirror.
(b) He knows that the Ring poses too much danger to his friends.
(c) He wants the ring for himself.
(d) He is afraid of Boramir.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
2. What is Tom symbolic of?
3. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
4. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
5. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shelob?
2. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
3. Why does the companionship turn back from their initial plan to cross the mountains?
4. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
5. What strange event took place during the first night of battle at Helm's Deep that seems to make the Orc army so fearful?
6. What is Merry and Pippin's reaction to the news that Frodo and Sam are leaving the Shire?
7. What are the Nazgul spreading among Gandalf's army as they stand at the Black Gates?
8. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
9. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
10. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)