|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They attacked in daylight.
(b) They are not from Mordor.
(c) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
(d) They were too easy to kill.
2. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
(a) He promises to give it to Boramir when they reach Mordor.
(b) He runs and hides with his elven cloak.
(c) He begins to cry, and Boramir feels instant remorse.
(d) He puts on the ring and vanishes from sight.
3. How many doors are there for Gandalf to choose from when he becomes stumped while traveling through Moria?
4. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
(a) Orc spies.
(c) Protection from the elves.
(d) A crocadilly.
5. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
(a) Be a life-long friend.
(b) Share the spoils of the next victory.
(c) Take him on a tour of his home caves.
(d) Die by his side in battle if necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
2. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
3. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
4. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
5. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange event took place during the first night of battle at Helm's Deep that seems to make the Orc army so fearful?
2. As Gandalf and the hobbits approach the Shire, who does Gandalf decide to spend some time with?
3. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
4. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
5. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
6. What is the crown of the beheaded king's statue made of?
7. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
8. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
9. Why does Pippin throw a stone down the well in Moria while they are trying to decide which way to go?
10. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)