|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
(a) The abyss of the earth.
(b) Towards the path to Mordor.
(c) The tower of Orthnac.
(d) The Main turret castle of Isengard.
2. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
(a) Be a life-long friend.
(b) Die by his side in battle if necessary.
(c) Share the spoils of the next victory.
(d) Take him on a tour of his home caves.
3. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
(a) Some weapons.
(b) A map.
(c) An intricate piece of jewelery.
(d) Some food.
4. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(b) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(c) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(d) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
5. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
(a) He is a man poisoned by greed and blind to evil.
(b) He has a mind of metal and wheels.
(c) He was once a gracious man.
(d) He is the enemy of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gollum gain possession of the ring long ago?
2. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
3. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
4. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
5. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
2. What is Merry and Pippin's reaction to the news that Frodo and Sam are leaving the Shire?
3. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
4. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
5. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
6. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
7. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
8. Why did the hobbits' ponies run away from the Barrows, according to Tom Bombadil?
9. What is the crown of the beheaded king's statue made of?
10. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)