|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
(a) An unbreakable chain to put the ring on.
(b) A finished copy of his memiors.
(c) A set of clothing that can render him invisible.
(d) A sword and a shirt of mail.
2. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
(a) He was once a gracious man.
(b) He has a mind of metal and wheels.
(c) He is the enemy of nature.
(d) He is a man poisoned by greed and blind to evil.
3. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(b) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(c) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
(d) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
4. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) 3 Dwarves.
(b) A camp of elves.
(c) A warm hearted ranger.
(d) A brown Wizard.
5. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
(a) Sam is very sick after sampling some of Goldberry's wine.
(b) It is raining too hard for them to leave.
(c) Merry is still suffering from the injury he received from the Willow.
(d) They have run out of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Merry and Pippin run when they are freed of their ropes as the Rohirram begin attacking the Orcs?
2. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
3. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
4. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
5. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aragorn finally get to do when Elrond gives him the scepter of Gondor?
2. As Gandalf and the hobbits approach the Shire, who does Gandalf decide to spend some time with?
3. Why is Sam so determined to travel with Frodo as Frodo tries to leave alone?
4. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
5. What causes Frodo to trust Strider after finding that he snuck in to the hobbits' private room?
6. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
7. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
8. Where does the stone land that Wormtongue throws down from the high tower during the parley at Isengard?
9. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
10. What is the name of the herb that Aragorn uses to try and heal Frodo's wound from the Ringwraiths?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)