|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) A letter from Gandalf.
(b) Instructions from Bilbo.
(c) A pint of mead from Moria.
(d) Some weapons from the elves.
2. What is so different about the Old forest?
(a) The trees talk to the people who journey through it.
(b) The trees are all dead.
(c) The trees house evil spirits.
(d) The trees are alive and aware of who enters.
3. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(b) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(c) The Black Nights killing his father.
(d) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
4. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
(a) His teeth.
(b) The sword of a fallen Orc.
(c) The helmet of the Orc who is carrying him.
(d) The broach from his elven cloak.
5. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Sell his house for a profit.
(b) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
(c) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
(d) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
2. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
3. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
4. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
5. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
2. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
3. Why does Pippin volunteer to serve Denethor when he is brought to the Stewards Hall at Minas Tirith?
4. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
5. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
6. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
7. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
8. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
9. What is Eomer's initial reaction to Aragorn?
10. Why is Sam so determined to travel with Frodo as Frodo tries to leave alone?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)