|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
(b) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
(c) Sell his house for a profit.
(d) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
2. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Cut off their hands.
(b) Praised Boramir.
(c) Threw stones at them.
(d) Insulted them.
3. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
(a) That they promise to not tell Gandalf he was there.
(b) That they allow him to wear the ring while at the Prancing Pony.
(c) That they split with him the gifts they will get at Rivendell.
(d) That they let him be their guide.
4. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
(a) The Balrog's claw.
(b) The Balrog's whip.
(c) The Balrog's chain.
(d) A menacing troll.
5. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
Short Answer Questions
1. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
2. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
3. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
4. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
5. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pippin throw a stone down the well in Moria while they are trying to decide which way to go?
2. How does Sam learn that Frodo was not killed by Shelob?
3. What is Faramir's name for the Ring of Power?
4. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
5. What is Shelob?
6. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
7. What does the companionship do once they reach the light of day outside the mines of Moria?
8. What does Aragorn finally get to do when Elrond gives him the scepter of Gondor?
9. What do Sam and Frodo do when they finally get to a path that heads straight towards Mount Doom instead of paths that cross through Orc army camps?
10. What are the first thing Merry asks for when he awakens in the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)