|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
(a) The sword of a fallen Orc.
(b) The helmet of the Orc who is carrying him.
(c) The broach from his elven cloak.
(d) His teeth.
2. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They attacked in daylight.
(b) They were too easy to kill.
(c) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
(d) They are not from Mordor.
3. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
(a) The Balrog's claw.
(b) A menacing troll.
(c) The Balrog's chain.
(d) The Balrog's whip.
4. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
5. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) A pint of mead from Moria.
(b) Some weapons from the elves.
(c) A letter from Gandalf.
(d) Instructions from Bilbo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
2. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
3. What does Aragorn find in Weathertop that lets him know that Gandalf was there recently?
4. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
5. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Gandalf and the hobbits approach the Shire, who does Gandalf decide to spend some time with?
2. What is Faramir's name for the Ring of Power?
3. What do Sam and Frodo do when they finally get to a path that heads straight towards Mount Doom instead of paths that cross through Orc army camps?
4. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
5. What are Hurons, according to Treebeard?
6. Who sneaks Merry into the battle at Minas Tirith?
7. What does Gimli think of the trees in the forest that the companionship travel through to get to Isengard after the battle at Helm's Deep?
8. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
9. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
10. How do Frodo and Sam find out that Gollum is probably following them through Mordor as they journey towards Mount Doom?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)