|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
(b) Their baggage has been stolen.
(c) They are sinking in a mud pit.
(d) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
2. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
(a) Mr. Rider
(b) Gandalf Stormcrow.
(c) Mr. Underhill.
(d) Bilbo Baggins.
3. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Rivendell with the Elves.
(b) Moria with the Dwarves.
(c) Rohan with the Horsemen.
(d) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
4. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Cut off their hands.
(b) Threw stones at them.
(c) Praised Boramir.
(d) Insulted them.
5. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
(a) His teeth.
(b) The broach from his elven cloak.
(c) The helmet of the Orc who is carrying him.
(d) The sword of a fallen Orc.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many doors are there for Gandalf to choose from when he becomes stumped while traveling through Moria?
2. What is Treebeard's motto?
3. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
4. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
5. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Gandalf and the hobbits approach the Shire, who does Gandalf decide to spend some time with?
2. What is the crown of the beheaded king's statue made of?
3. What is the stone called that caused Pippin so much pain when he looked into it?
4. What does Aragorn finally get to do when Elrond gives him the scepter of Gondor?
5. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
6. What is the last thing that Frodo sees in Galadriel's mirror?
7. How was Boramir killed?
8. Why does Denethor send his son into an almost suicidal battle at Osgiliath?
9. What is the name of the entrance to Mordor that Gollum leads Sam and Frodo to?
10. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)