|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
(a) The Main turret castle of Isengard.
(b) The tower of Orthnac.
(c) Towards the path to Mordor.
(d) The abyss of the earth.
2. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
(a) Try to catch up with them.
(b) Find and rescue Merry and Pippen.
(c) Ask the Lorien elves for advice.
(d) Send half the party after Merry and Pippen, and the other half after Frodo.
3. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
4. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
(a) Their ponies have been stolen.
(b) Pippen is hungover from drinking.
(c) Merry is still unconscious from his run-in with a Black Rider.
(d) They are trying to hide from Bill Ferny.
5. What is so different about the Old forest?
(a) The trees are alive and aware of who enters.
(b) The trees are all dead.
(c) The trees talk to the people who journey through it.
(d) The trees house evil spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
2. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
3. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
4. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
5. What happens when Tom puts on the Ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
2. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
3. Why does Pippin throw a stone down the well in Moria while they are trying to decide which way to go?
4. What do Sam and Frodo do when they finally get to a path that heads straight towards Mount Doom instead of paths that cross through Orc army camps?
5. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
6. What does the the Elven rope do to Gollum when Sam ties Gollum up with it?
7. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
8. What is the name of the leader of the Eagles?
9. Why does the companionship turn back from their initial plan to cross the mountains?
10. What is the name of the entrance to Mordor that Gollum leads Sam and Frodo to?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)