|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Tom puts on the Ring?
(a) He screams out in pain because it burns him.
(b) He vanishes.
(c) He runs away with it laughing.
2. Who was imprisoned with Saruman after Isengard was detroyed?
(a) A traitor Rohan Rider.
(b) The head Orc.
(c) A watchguard of elves.
3. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(b) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
(c) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
(d) The Ring is losing its power.
4. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
(a) Agrees with him wholeheartedly.
(b) Threatens Eomer with his axe.
(c) Stays silent out of fear.
(d) Defends her honor and her name.
5. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
(b) Spells of Saruman.
(c) Spring loaded weapons.
(d) Blasting fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
2. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
3. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
4. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
5. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person that Frodo sees when he awakens in Rivendell after his ride with Glorfindel?
2. What is the name of the entrance to Mordor that Gollum leads Sam and Frodo to?
3. What is the prophecy about the Nazgul King that makes him think he is invincible?
4. What is the stone called that caused Pippin so much pain when he looked into it?
5. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
6. Who kills Lotho at Bag End?
7. What dos Denethor do out of grief for his dead sons?
8. What does Aragorn do to let Sauron know that the true heir of the Gondor throne has returned?
9. What are the Nazgul spreading among Gandalf's army as they stand at the Black Gates?
10. Why does the companionship turn back from their initial plan to cross the mountains?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)