|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
(a) He runs and hides with his elven cloak.
(b) He promises to give it to Boramir when they reach Mordor.
(c) He begins to cry, and Boramir feels instant remorse.
(d) He puts on the ring and vanishes from sight.
2. Why does Aragorn decide to travel on boats down the river when they leave Lothlorien?
(a) They can move faster in the water.
(b) Orcs cannot follow tracks of a boat in water.
(c) He has not decided which side of the river he wants to travel on.
(d) He saw them traveling this way in Galadriel's mirror.
3. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He tries to take the ring by force.
(b) He seems angry.
(c) He is not at all surprised.
(d) He knows Frodo's name.
4. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
(c) A Dark Rider.
5. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
(a) It is pure water with healing powers.
(b) It is filled with blood.
(c) It is a burial ground for Dwarf warriors.
(d) It mirrors the mountains and stars even in the sunlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
2. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
3. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
4. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
5. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the leader of the Eagles?
2. How does Sam get past the Silent Watchers in Cirith Ungol?
3. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
4. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
5. How was Boramir killed?
6. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
7. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
8. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
9. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
10. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)