|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
(a) A sword and a shirt of mail.
(b) A finished copy of his memiors.
(c) An unbreakable chain to put the ring on.
(d) A set of clothing that can render him invisible.
2. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
(b) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(c) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
(d) The Ring is losing its power.
3. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
(a) "They are coming."
(b) "Fear enfolds us and pushes us on."
(c) "There were drums, drums."
(d) "There is no escape here in the deep."
4. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
(a) He is afraid to be alone.
(b) Sam is drowning.
(c) He knows that he can trust Sam to not try to take the Ring.
(d) Sam is his best friend.
5. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was imprisoned with Saruman after Isengard was detroyed?
2. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
3. What does Frodo see crawling to his friends when he awakes in the burrow?
4. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
5. What happens to the knife that stabbed Frodo when Aragorn picks it up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shelob?
2. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
3. What do the hobbits call the men that live in Bree?
4. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
5. Where do the elves in Lothlorien build their houses?
6. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
7. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
8. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
9. Why has Gandalf been forbidden to enter the hall of King Theoden?
10. What is the name of the herb that Aragorn uses to try and heal Frodo's wound from the Ringwraiths?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)