|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says they will be part of the companionship of the ring, or be sent home in sacks?
(a) Bilbo and Fatty.
(b) Aragor and Arwen.
(c) Merry and Pippen.
(d) Boromir and Faramir.
2. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) The Black Nights killing his father.
(b) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(c) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(d) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
3. Where does Gandalf advise Theoden to go before he leaves them on an urgent errand?
(a) Helm's Deep.
(b) Minas Tirith.
4. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
(a) It is pure water with healing powers.
(b) It is filled with blood.
(c) It is a burial ground for Dwarf warriors.
(d) It mirrors the mountains and stars even in the sunlight.
5. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
(a) Black and inky.
(b) Rotten, shriveling corpses.
(c) Full of worms and spiders.
(d) Tall, ghostly, shimmering kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
2. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
3. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
4. Who willingly rides in Legolas's boat as the companions travel away from Lothlorien?
5. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
2. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
3. How does Sam get past the Silent Watchers in Cirith Ungol?
4. Why does Pippin volunteer to serve Denethor when he is brought to the Stewards Hall at Minas Tirith?
5. Why is Sam so determined to travel with Frodo as Frodo tries to leave alone?
6. What is Faramir's name for the Ring of Power?
7. Why is Frodo so afraid of Farmer Maggot when they approach his house in order to find a hiding place from the Black Riders?
8. What is Merry and Pippin's reaction to the news that Frodo and Sam are leaving the Shire?
9. What does Aragorn finally get to do when Elrond gives him the scepter of Gondor?
10. What are Hurons, according to Treebeard?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)