|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
(a) He tricks the guard.
(b) He threatens the guard.
(c) He hides his staff.
(d) He bewitches his staff to be invisible.
2. What happens to the knife that stabbed Frodo when Aragorn picks it up?
(a) It becomes hot and burns him.
(b) It disintegrates.
(c) It becomes freezing cold.
(d) It cuts his finger.
3. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
(a) A set of clothing that can render him invisible.
(b) An unbreakable chain to put the ring on.
(c) A finished copy of his memiors.
(d) A sword and a shirt of mail.
4. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
(b) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
(c) They are sinking in a mud pit.
(d) Their baggage has been stolen.
5. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
(a) Their ponies have been stolen.
(b) They are trying to hide from Bill Ferny.
(c) Pippen is hungover from drinking.
(d) Merry is still unconscious from his run-in with a Black Rider.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
2. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
3. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
4. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
5. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aragorn do to let Sauron know that the true heir of the Gondor throne has returned?
2. Why does the Council decide to undertake an almost suicidal attack on the Black Gates of Mordor after the battle at Minas Tirith?
3. What is Eomer's initial reaction to Aragorn?
4. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
5. What dos Denethor do out of grief for his dead sons?
6. Why does Pippin throw a stone down the well in Moria while they are trying to decide which way to go?
7. How was Boramir killed?
8. Who are Tinuviel and Beren from Aragorn's story?
9. Who owns the land of Ithilien when Sam and Frodo are traveling through it on their way to the other entrance into Mordor?
10. What does Legolas use to kill the flying beast that is ridden by a Nazgul while the companionship journeys away from Lothlorien?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)