|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
(a) He bewitches his staff to be invisible.
(b) He threatens the guard.
(c) He hides his staff.
(d) He tricks the guard.
2. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
(a) He smites Wormtongue.
(b) He heals the king.
(c) He rebukes him right back.
(d) He bows down in respect.
3. What is so valuable about the cloaks that the elves give the companions as they leave Lothlorien?
(a) They will never tear.
(b) They can blend into the background.
(c) They will grow or shrink to fit the person wearing them.
(d) They will never be cold while wearing them.
4. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
5. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
(b) A Balrog.
(d) A mysterious elf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
2. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
3. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
4. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
5. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tom Bombadil say that he is when asked by Frodo and Sam?
2. Who is the first person that Frodo sees when he awakens in Rivendell after his ride with Glorfindel?
3. Who does Sam marry when he returns to the Shire?
4. What does Gimli think of the trees in the forest that the companionship travel through to get to Isengard after the battle at Helm's Deep?
5. What is Shelob?
6. What dos Denethor do out of grief for his dead sons?
7. Why are the hobbits all so excited to see Gandalf arrive for Bilbo's party?
8. Who does Aragorn give the Wild Woods to as the funeral march for Theoden passes through them?
9. How does Sam get past the Silent Watchers in Cirith Ungol?
10. What is the prophecy about the Nazgul King that makes him think he is invincible?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)