|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A robe of lovely white silk.
(b) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(c) A place in the king's counsel.
(d) Shadowfax, the horse.
2. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
(a) A map.
(b) Some weapons.
(c) An intricate piece of jewelery.
(d) Some food.
3. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
(a) Agrees with him wholeheartedly.
(b) Threatens Eomer with his axe.
(c) Stays silent out of fear.
(d) Defends her honor and her name.
4. What happens when Tom puts on the Ring?
(a) He runs away with it laughing.
(b) He vanishes.
(d) He screams out in pain because it burns him.
5. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) The Ring is losing its power.
(b) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
(c) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(d) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
2. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
3. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
4. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
5. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandalf do with the Ring after Frodo shows Gandalf that he has kept it safe?
2. What causes Frodo to trust Strider after finding that he snuck in to the hobbits' private room?
3. How old are the Ents, according to TreeBeard?
4. What is the name of the entrance to Mordor that Gollum leads Sam and Frodo to?
5. What is the stone called that caused Pippin so much pain when he looked into it?
6. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to follow Gollum to another entrance into Mordor after finally reaching the Black Gate?
7. Where do the elves in Lothlorien build their houses?
8. What do the hobbits call the men that live in Bree?
9. What is Eomer's initial reaction to Aragorn?
10. How do Merry and Pippin get released from their ropes while being held captive by the Uruk-hai?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)