|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Moria with the Dwarves.
(b) Rivendell with the Elves.
(c) Rohan with the Horsemen.
(d) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
2. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
(a) Agrees with him wholeheartedly.
(b) Threatens Eomer with his axe.
(c) Stays silent out of fear.
(d) Defends her honor and her name.
3. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
4. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
(a) A word.
(b) A sword.
(c) His hands.
(d) His Staff.
5. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
(a) He knows that he can trust Sam to not try to take the Ring.
(b) Sam is drowning.
(c) He is afraid to be alone.
(d) Sam is his best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
2. What is so valuable about the cloaks that the elves give the companions as they leave Lothlorien?
3. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
4. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
5. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sam and Frodo travel through the Dead Marshes to get to Mordor?
2. Why did Saruman want Gandalf to meet him at Isengard before imprisoning him?
3. What is the last thing that Frodo sees in Galadriel's mirror?
4. What does Aragorn do to let Sauron know that the true heir of the Gondor throne has returned?
5. What is Merry and Pippin's reaction to the news that Frodo and Sam are leaving the Shire?
6. Why does Pippin volunteer to serve Denethor when he is brought to the Stewards Hall at Minas Tirith?
7. Why does the companionship turn back from their initial plan to cross the mountains?
8. What is Faramir supposed to do to Gollum when he finds Gollum catching fish by the waterfall in Ithilien?
9. What is the name given to the Riders of Rohan?
10. What is the elven name for the waybread given to the companions for their journey as they leave Lothlorien?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)