|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Denethor angry with Faramir when Faramir explains the event in Ithilien?
(a) Faramir did not steal the Ring when he had the chance.
(b) Faramir allowed Gollum to live.
(c) Faramir did not accompany Frodo to Mordor.
(d) Faramir did not avenge his brother's death.
2. What ties Gollum so strongly to Frodo while he has the Ring?
(a) Gollum lost the Ring once and will not let it out of his sight again.
(b) Gollum has an intense sense of loyalty.
(c) Frodo and Gollum are made brothers by the suffering the Ring causes.
(d) Gollum swore an oath on the ring.
3. How many tiers of stairs does Gandalf have to ride to get to the hall of Denethor?
4. Who is following Sam and Frodo as they are journeying towards Mordor?
(a) An orc spy.
(b) A Ring Wraith.
(c) An evil spirit.
5. What do Sam and Frodo hear some orcs talking about as they travel through Mordor in the ravine?
(a) How Gollum escaped from them.
(b) The death of the Nazgul king.
(c) The escape of the hobbits.
(d) The might of Aragorn.
6. What does Faramir say when he hears of the route Frodo plans to take to get to Mordor?
(a) That he agrees that it is the safest route.
(b) That he has never heard of it.
(c) That Frodo should choose any other route.
(d) That there are many unknown terrors along that route.
7. What does Gollum see after their climb up the stairs that softens his heart towards Sam for a moment?
(a) Sam talking to Frodo about how helpful Gollum has been.
(b) Sam crying and praying for Frodo.
(c) Sam giving of his food to Frodo.
(d) Sam and Frodo sleeping.
8. What happen to Pppin when he looks into the Seeing Stone from Orthnac?
(a) He falls down dead.
(b) He is stricken blind.
(c) He sees Sauran's plan.
(d) He cries out in pain.
9. Why are the men of Gondor worried when Gandalf rides past them with Pippin on his way to Minas Tirith?
(a) They thought Gandalf was dead.
(b) They see the worried expression on his face and the fast pace of his horse.
(c) Gandalf is the bearer of bad news.
(d) They think he is Saruman because of his white robes.
10. How does Sam restore the trees that were cut down while he was away with Frodo?
(a) He has Ted Sandyman do the work since he is the one who destroyed the trees in the first place.
(b) He plants new trees and places a grain of Galadriel's earth on them.
(c) He creates a task force of hobits to help him.
(d) He asks Gandalf to help him with his powers.
11. What do Frodo and Sam just barely escape the notice of on the bridge to Minas Morgul.
(a) A troop of Mordor men on Oliphants.
(b) Faramir's men.
(c) A host of evil ghosts returning to Mordor.
(d) A ringwraithe and an army of orcs.
12. How does Sam get through the tower of Cirith Ungol despite the efforts to stop him?
(a) He puts on the Rig and sneaks past.
(b) He promises to share the power and protection that the Ring offers.
(c) He kills them with Frodo's sword.
(d) He uses the phial of light from Galadriel.
13. What signal is brought to Theoden that means Gondor is in dire need?
(a) A message from Gandalf sent by an eagle.
(b) A red arrow.
(c) A flaming signal.
(d) A blood soaked letter from Denethol.
14. What gift does Butterbur give Sam on his way back to the Shire?
(a) Bill the Pony.
(b) A shiny jeweled necklace.
(c) A painting of himself and Frodo.
(d) A packet of rare flower seeds.
15. What causes the Orcs at the Black Gate to become confused and disoriented?
(a) They see Aragorn, who they thought was dead.
(b) They are attacked by eagles from the sky.
(c) The power of Sauran leaves them.
(d) They learn that the Nazgul king was killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sam and Frodo get through Mordor undetected?
2. What has Faramir been ordered to do with all trespassers on Gondor soil?
3. Who does the leader of the band of men in Ithilien tell Frodo has been killed?
4. What is Denethor trying to do that Gandalf is determined to stop during the battle at Minas Tirith?
5. Why does Bilbo give his book to Frodo when Frodo visits him at Rivendell?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)