|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Eomer to fight fiercely with no thought for his own safety?
(a) Heckling from an Orc leader.
(b) The sight of Theoden and Eowyn dead.
(c) The sight of little Merry fighting bravely.
(d) Some encouraging words from Gandalf.
2. Why do Sam and Frodo jump into a ravine while traveling through Mordor?
(a) The eye turns in their direction.
(b) The Ring pulls Frodo into it.
(c) A nazgul passes them.
(d) They chase after Gollum.
3. Why is Denethor angry with Faramir when Faramir explains the event in Ithilien?
(a) Faramir allowed Gollum to live.
(b) Faramir did not avenge his brother's death.
(c) Faramir did not steal the Ring when he had the chance.
(d) Faramir did not accompany Frodo to Mordor.
4. What does Gollum see after their climb up the stairs that softens his heart towards Sam for a moment?
(a) Sam and Frodo sleeping.
(b) Sam talking to Frodo about how helpful Gollum has been.
(c) Sam crying and praying for Frodo.
(d) Sam giving of his food to Frodo.
5. What does Bill Ferny do when he sees Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin all standing on Brandywine Bridge heavily armed?
(a) He cheers for joy that they have made it back safely.
(b) He tries to attack them, but they are too battle savvy for him.
(c) He runs away, never to be seen again.
(d) He jumps into the river out of fear.
6. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
(a) He has become overpowered by the ring.
(b) Frodo gives him the Ring.
(c) He thinks Frodo is dead.
(d) He saw himself doing this in Galadriel's mirror.
7. What does Ioreth say at The House of Healing that sends Gandalf looking for Aragorn?
(a) A Rangers pack is full of healing herbs.
(b) The elf born mortal will heal the victors.
(c) A King among men will Heal the faithful wounded.
(d) The hands of the king are the hands of a healer.
8. What do Gimli and Legolas discuss as they walk through Minas Tirith after the battle?
(a) How unexpected their vicotry was.
(b) How much better the dwarves and elves could have made it.
(c) How unexpected their friendship is.
(d) How they are confused about the lack of news from Frodo.
9. Why are the men of Gondor worried when Gandalf rides past them with Pippin on his way to Minas Tirith?
(a) They see the worried expression on his face and the fast pace of his horse.
(b) They think he is Saruman because of his white robes.
(c) Gandalf is the bearer of bad news.
(d) They thought Gandalf was dead.
10. What gift doe Eowyn give Merry after he is made a soldier of Gondor?
(a) A talisman.
(b) A mighty shield.
(c) A horn.
(d) Special armor.
11. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to not enter through the main entrance to Mordor?
(a) Sam falls ill and is unable to continue at the present.
(b) Frodo is not ready to give the ring back.
(c) It is too heavily guarded.
(d) They are captured.
12. What causes the Orcs at the Black Gate to become confused and disoriented?
(a) They see Aragorn, who they thought was dead.
(b) They are attacked by eagles from the sky.
(c) The power of Sauran leaves them.
(d) They learn that the Nazgul king was killed.
13. Where does the army decide to go after the battle of Minas Tirith?
(c) The Black Gates of Mordor.
(d) Helm's Deep.
14. What passes by Sam and Frodo as they are travellng to Mordor that causes them to hide by a bush?
(a) A Nazgul.
(b) A troop of Mordor Soldiers.
(c) A group of Orcs.
15. Why is Merry so upset when Theoden and his army head off to battle?
(a) Theoden promised to wait for the return of Aragorn.
(b) Merry thinks that they should get well rested before joining another battle.
(c) Theoden wants Merry to stay away from the battle.
(d) Merry feels that this call for help is a trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theoden offer the Wildmen in return for showing him the secret road to Minas Tirith?
2. Who does Pippin share his room with during his stay at Minas Tirith?
3. What do Sam and Frodo hear some orcs talking about as they travel through Mordor in the ravine?
4. What is the name of Gollum's kinder split pesonality?
5. What has Faramir been ordered to do with all trespassers on Gondor soil?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)