|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sam get through the tower of Cirith Ungol despite the efforts to stop him?
(a) He kills them with Frodo's sword.
(b) He puts on the Rig and sneaks past.
(c) He promises to share the power and protection that the Ring offers.
(d) He uses the phial of light from Galadriel.
2. Who does Pippin help carry to the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
3. After Shelob attacks Frodo and Sam, and Sam chases Gollum up the hillside, Sam next finds Frodo:
(a) Helplessly flailing his arms at the giant spider.
(b) Breathing heavily and hallucinating.
(c) In a cocoon of webbing.
(d) Being drained of blood by Shelob.
4. What is on the head of the statue of a king that Frodo and Sam see as they journey to the less traveled path to Mordor?
(a) A rare form of moss.
(b) A warning to all who pass.
(c) A crown of flowers.
(d) A written message from Gandalf.
5. Who does the leader of the band of men in Ithilien tell Frodo has been killed?
6. Why does Faramir not take the Ring when he finds out what it is?
(a) He fears its power.
(b) He does not want to be a liar.
(c) He knows it killed Boramir.
(d) He was told by Galadriel's mirror to never touch it.
7. Who is the 'Chief' that made the new rules of not allowing people to cross Brandywine Bridge at the end of the book?
8. What does Denethor claim that he has seen Gandalf doing in his seeing stone during the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Carrying the Ring of Power.
(b) Keeping ties with Sauran.
(c) Setting himself up to be the King of Gondor.
(d) Allow good people to die for a hopeless cause.
9. What does Dernhelm do as Theoden's army gets closer to the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Gets closer to Theoden.
(b) Encourages the other men to never lose faith.
(c) Moves to the back of the line and runs away.
(d) Recites memorized prayer over and over.
10. Who kills Saruman?
11. Where does Aragorn decide to go after speaking with the Rangers who found him?
(a) The Paths of the Dead.
(b) To find Frodo at Mordor.
(c) To Rivendell to be with Arwen.
(d) Back to Isengard.
12. What ties Gollum so strongly to Frodo while he has the Ring?
(a) Frodo and Gollum are made brothers by the suffering the Ring causes.
(b) Gollum lost the Ring once and will not let it out of his sight again.
(c) Gollum swore an oath on the ring.
(d) Gollum has an intense sense of loyalty.
13. What is the name of the person who is in control of the Shire when Frodo returns there at the end of the book?
14. Why does Sam not kill Gollum when he has the chance on Mount Doom?
(a) Gollum knocks Sam unconscious.
(b) He follows after Frodo to keep him safe.
(c) He has pity on him.
(d) Gollum pretends to be dead.
15. What scares Theoden's horse and causes it to buck during the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) An oliphant.
(b) The King of the Harad.
(c) A dart.
(d) The King of Despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faramir say when he hears of the route Frodo plans to take to get to Mordor?
2. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
3. Who kills the Nazgul King who no man could slay?
4. What are Sam's last words in the book?
5. What do Sam and Frodo hear some orcs talking about as they travel through Mordor in the ravine?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)