|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam call Gollum when he wakes up at the top of the stairs that rids Gollum of all the good feelings he had?
(a) An image of heartless greed.
(b) A thief.
(c) All that is wrong with the world.
(d) A sneak and a villain.
2. Why does Sam not kill Gollum when he has the chance on Mount Doom?
(a) Gollum pretends to be dead.
(b) He has pity on him.
(c) He follows after Frodo to keep him safe.
(d) Gollum knocks Sam unconscious.
3. What does Frodo request from the men as they are escorted away from the waterfall?
(a) To be trusted to be untied.
(b) To be blindfolded.
(c) To fill their packs with food.
(d) To take them to the best path to Mordor.
4. How do Sam and Frodo get through Mordor undetected?
(a) They crawl on the ground.
(b) They use their Elven cloaks.
(c) They trade off wearing the Ring.
(d) They don the armor of dead orcs.
5. What does Legolas see while at the House of Healing that makes him want to go to sea?
(a) The ships leaving.
(b) A meal of crab.
(c) A picture of a lighthouse.
6. Who is the leader of the band of men who apprehend Sam and Frodo by their campfire in Ithilien?
7. What do Frodo and Sam find at the exit of Shelob's lair?
(a) A giant rock rolled in the way.
(b) Shelob waiting to attack.
(c) A giant web.
(d) A dead Orc.
8. What is Gollum doing in the pool by the waterfall when Faramir sees him?
(b) Catching fish.
(c) Plotting to kill Frodo.
9. Why are the men of Gondor worried when Gandalf rides past them with Pippin on his way to Minas Tirith?
(a) They thought Gandalf was dead.
(b) Gandalf is the bearer of bad news.
(c) They see the worried expression on his face and the fast pace of his horse.
(d) They think he is Saruman because of his white robes.
10. What scares the great spider away in Shelob's lair?
(a) Sam's box of earth from Galadriel.
(b) The phial of light from Galadriel.
(c) The sword from Bilbo.
(d) Gollum's threats.
11. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
(a) Frodo gives him the Ring.
(b) He saw himself doing this in Galadriel's mirror.
(c) He thinks Frodo is dead.
(d) He has become overpowered by the ring.
12. Who tells Gandalf what Denethor is doing during the battle at Minas Tirith?
13. What do Gimli and Legolas discuss as they walk through Minas Tirith after the battle?
(a) How unexpected their vicotry was.
(b) How unexpected their friendship is.
(c) How they are confused about the lack of news from Frodo.
(d) How much better the dwarves and elves could have made it.
14. What does Dernhelm do as Theoden's army gets closer to the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Gets closer to Theoden.
(b) Moves to the back of the line and runs away.
(c) Recites memorized prayer over and over.
(d) Encourages the other men to never lose faith.
15. What is on the head of the statue of a king that Frodo and Sam see as they journey to the less traveled path to Mordor?
(a) A written message from Gandalf.
(b) A crown of flowers.
(c) A warning to all who pass.
(d) A rare form of moss.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frodo request what he does from the men as he is escorted away from the waterfall?
2. Who saves Sam and Frodo from a fiery death on Mount Doom?
3. Who is following Sam and Frodo as they are journeying towards Mordor?
4. What does Sam hear in the bushes after he cooks the two rabbits?
5. Where does Aragorn decide to go after speaking with the Rangers who found him?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)