|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merry feel like as he rides with Legolas and Gimli towards Helm's Deep after the parley at Isengard?
(a) A true companion.
(b) Little more than baggage.
(c) Lonely without Pippin.
(d) Strangely confident.
2. Who saves Sam and Frodo from a fiery death on Mount Doom?
(a) A Nazgul.
(b) The eagles.
3. What does Pippin see chasing Faramir towards Minas Tirith after he has been outfitted as a knight of Gondor?
(a) Denethor in a crazed state.
(b) A great eagle.
(c) A nazgul.
(d) A host of Orc warriors.
4. What does Legolas see while at the House of Healing that makes him want to go to sea?
(b) The ships leaving.
(c) A meal of crab.
(d) A picture of a lighthouse.
5. What happen to Pppin when he looks into the Seeing Stone from Orthnac?
(a) He sees Sauran's plan.
(b) He cries out in pain.
(c) He falls down dead.
(d) He is stricken blind.
6. What is the name of the person who is in control of the Shire when Frodo returns there at the end of the book?
7. Where do the fellowship member who were at Isengard ride after the parley with Saruman?
8. Who does the leader of the band of men in Ithilien tell Frodo has been killed?
9. What does Dernhelm do as Theoden's army gets closer to the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Gets closer to Theoden.
(b) Recites memorized prayer over and over.
(c) Encourages the other men to never lose faith.
(d) Moves to the back of the line and runs away.
10. What does Gollum see after their climb up the stairs that softens his heart towards Sam for a moment?
(a) Sam talking to Frodo about how helpful Gollum has been.
(b) Sam and Frodo sleeping.
(c) Sam crying and praying for Frodo.
(d) Sam giving of his food to Frodo.
11. What scares Theoden's horse and causes it to buck during the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) An oliphant.
(b) The King of the Harad.
(c) A dart.
(d) The King of Despair.
12. How does Sam restore the trees that were cut down while he was away with Frodo?
(a) He asks Gandalf to help him with his powers.
(b) He plants new trees and places a grain of Galadriel's earth on them.
(c) He creates a task force of hobits to help him.
(d) He has Ted Sandyman do the work since he is the one who destroyed the trees in the first place.
13. Where does Gandalf decide to go when they see a Nazul flying by as they are leaving Isengard?
(a) Minas Tirith.
(b) Helm's Deep.
14. What is Gollum doing in the pool by the waterfall when Faramir sees him?
(b) Plotting to kill Frodo.
(d) Catching fish.
15. Why do Sam and Frodo jump into a ravine while traveling through Mordor?
(a) They chase after Gollum.
(b) A nazgul passes them.
(c) The Ring pulls Frodo into it.
(d) The eye turns in their direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the great spider away in Shelob's lair?
2. What do Gimli and Legolas discuss as they walk through Minas Tirith after the battle?
3. What does Sam call Gollum when he wakes up at the top of the stairs that rids Gollum of all the good feelings he had?
4. Who is following Sam and Frodo as they are journeying towards Mordor?
5. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)