|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Denethor claim that he has seen Gandalf doing in his seeing stone during the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Keeping ties with Sauran.
(b) Carrying the Ring of Power.
(c) Allow good people to die for a hopeless cause.
(d) Setting himself up to be the King of Gondor.
2. Who is the leader of the band of men who apprehend Sam and Frodo by their campfire in Ithilien?
3. Who does Pippin help carry to the House of Healing after the battle at Minas Tirith?
4. How do Sam and Frodo get through Mordor undetected?
(a) They don the armor of dead orcs.
(b) They trade off wearing the Ring.
(c) They crawl on the ground.
(d) They use their Elven cloaks.
5. What has Faramir been ordered to do with all trespassers on Gondor soil?
(a) Blindfold them and take them to the court.
(b) Escort them to the border.
(c) Question them intensely.
(d) Kill them.
6. Who does Frodo tell the leader of the band of men in Ithilien has been killed?
7. What does Sam call Gollum when he wakes up at the top of the stairs that rids Gollum of all the good feelings he had?
(a) An image of heartless greed.
(b) All that is wrong with the world.
(c) A thief.
(d) A sneak and a villain.
8. What does Gandalf do when he sees the beheaded statue of the king as they are leaving Minas Tirith?
(a) Creates a new statue of Aragorn.
(b) Smashes the whole thing.
(c) Restores the head.
(d) Creates a new head as a tribute to Theoden.
9. What does Gollum see after their climb up the stairs that softens his heart towards Sam for a moment?
(a) Sam and Frodo sleeping.
(b) Sam giving of his food to Frodo.
(c) Sam crying and praying for Frodo.
(d) Sam talking to Frodo about how helpful Gollum has been.
10. Why does Bilbo give his book to Frodo when Frodo visits him at Rivendell?
(a) Bilbo is too aged to write anymore.
(b) Bilbo has written about every adventure in his own life.
(c) Bilbo has written enough in his lifetime.
(d) Bilbo has gone blind.
11. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to not enter through the main entrance to Mordor?
(a) They are captured.
(b) Sam falls ill and is unable to continue at the present.
(c) It is too heavily guarded.
(d) Frodo is not ready to give the ring back.
12. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
(a) He saw himself doing this in Galadriel's mirror.
(b) He thinks Frodo is dead.
(c) Frodo gives him the Ring.
(d) He has become overpowered by the ring.
13. What is the name of the person who is in control of the Shire when Frodo returns there at the end of the book?
14. Why is Denethor angry with Faramir when Faramir explains the event in Ithilien?
(a) Faramir did not accompany Frodo to Mordor.
(b) Faramir allowed Gollum to live.
(c) Faramir did not steal the Ring when he had the chance.
(d) Faramir did not avenge his brother's death.
15. Who kills Saruman?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Merry so upset when Theoden and his army head off to battle?
2. What causes Eomer to fight fiercely with no thought for his own safety?
3. What signal is brought to Theoden that means Gondor is in dire need?
4. What happens to Frodo on the year anniversary of the attack on Weathertop?
5. What happens when Sam and Frodo are forced to travel on the road through Mordor again?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)