|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the head of the statue of a king that Frodo and Sam see as they journey to the less traveled path to Mordor?
(a) A written message from Gandalf.
(b) A crown of flowers.
(c) A rare form of moss.
(d) A warning to all who pass.
2. Why are the Wildmen so willing to show Theoden their secret road to Minas Tirith?
(a) They hate the orcs.
(b) They want to prove to Rohan which side they are on.
(c) They are afraid of Theoden.
(d) Gandalf told them to.
3. How does Sam get through the tower of Cirith Ungol despite the efforts to stop him?
(a) He promises to share the power and protection that the Ring offers.
(b) He uses the phial of light from Galadriel.
(c) He puts on the Rig and sneaks past.
(d) He kills them with Frodo's sword.
4. What gift does Butterbur give Sam on his way back to the Shire?
(a) A shiny jeweled necklace.
(b) Bill the Pony.
(c) A painting of himself and Frodo.
(d) A packet of rare flower seeds.
5. Why does Frodo request what he does from the men as he is escorted away from the waterfall?
(a) To show that he truly means no harm.
(b) To help him complete his urgent task sooner.
(c) To make himself even with Gollum.
(d) To replace what they ruined in their ambush.
6. Where does Gandalf decide to go when they see a Nazul flying by as they are leaving Isengard?
(a) Minas Tirith.
(c) Helm's Deep.
7. What is heard throughout Gondor as Rohan'sarmy arrives?
(a) The cock crowing the morning.
(b) The horn of Rohan.
(c) A mighty war cry.
(d) A horrible sound of thunder.
8. What does Pippin see chasing Faramir towards Minas Tirith after he has been outfitted as a knight of Gondor?
(a) A great eagle.
(b) A host of Orc warriors.
(c) A nazgul.
(d) Denethor in a crazed state.
9. What has Faramir been ordered to do with all trespassers on Gondor soil?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Blindfold them and take them to the court.
(c) Escort them to the border.
(d) Question them intensely.
10. Why does Gollum refuse to eat the rabbits that Sam prepares?
(a) He hates herbs from the shire.
(b) He fears that Sam will poison him.
(c) He only eats raw meat.
(d) He never eats in front of people.
11. What happens to Frodo on the year anniversary of the attack on Weathertop?
(a) The Nazguls all die.
(b) Frodo's wound begins to hurt him terribly.
(c) The hobbits all get together to share their stories of the past year.
(d) Frodo slips into a deep depression.
12. What is Denethor trying to do that Gandalf is determined to stop during the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Kill the next-in-line to the throne.
(b) Burn himself and his dying son.
(c) Leak intelligence to the enemy.
(d) Tell the soldiers that there is no hope.
13. What do Gimli and Legolas discuss as they walk through Minas Tirith after the battle?
(a) How unexpected their friendship is.
(b) How unexpected their vicotry was.
(c) How much better the dwarves and elves could have made it.
(d) How they are confused about the lack of news from Frodo.
14. What is the name of the main entrance to Mordor?
(a) The Passage of Death.
(b) The Gate of Sauron.
(c) The Black Gate.
(d) The End of Dreams.
15. What does Sam call Gollum when he wakes up at the top of the stairs that rids Gollum of all the good feelings he had?
(a) A thief.
(b) All that is wrong with the world.
(c) An image of heartless greed.
(d) A sneak and a villain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the great spider away in Shelob's lair?
2. What is so overpowering when Frodo and Sam enter Shelob's lair?
3. What happen to Pppin when he looks into the Seeing Stone from Orthnac?
4. Why are the men of Gondor worried when Gandalf rides past them with Pippin on his way to Minas Tirith?
5. Who is the 'Chief' that made the new rules of not allowing people to cross Brandywine Bridge at the end of the book?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)