|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gollum doing in the pool by the waterfall when Faramir sees him?
(b) Catching fish.
(d) Plotting to kill Frodo.
2. Where do Sam and Frodo sleep after their exhausting climb down an almost sheer rock-face?
(a) The open ground.
(b) Under a tree.
(c) In a tent provided by the elves.
(d) A cave.
3. What is so overpowering when Frodo and Sam enter Shelob's lair?
(a) The moisture.
(b) The darkness.
(c) The smell.
(d) The cold.
4. What does Frodo request from the men as they are escorted away from the waterfall?
(a) To take them to the best path to Mordor.
(b) To fill their packs with food.
(c) To be trusted to be untied.
(d) To be blindfolded.
5. Why does Frodo request what he does from the men as he is escorted away from the waterfall?
(a) To help him complete his urgent task sooner.
(b) To replace what they ruined in their ambush.
(c) To show that he truly means no harm.
(d) To make himself even with Gollum.
6. What happens to Frodo on the year anniversary of the attack on Weathertop?
(a) Frodo's wound begins to hurt him terribly.
(b) Frodo slips into a deep depression.
(c) The hobbits all get together to share their stories of the past year.
(d) The Nazguls all die.
7. What does Sam hear in the bushes after he cooks the two rabbits?
(a) Frodo crying.
(b) The forest burning.
(c) Gollum arguing with Smeagol.
(d) An imitated bird-call.
8. What is heard throughout Gondor as Rohan'sarmy arrives?
(a) A horrible sound of thunder.
(b) The horn of Rohan.
(c) The cock crowing the morning.
(d) A mighty war cry.
9. Who is following Sam and Frodo as they are journeying towards Mordor?
(a) A Ring Wraith.
(c) An evil spirit.
(d) An orc spy.
10. What is every man in Bree carrying when the hobbits pass through on their way back to the Shire?
(c) Bottles of ale.
11. What does Dernhelm do as Theoden's army gets closer to the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Gets closer to Theoden.
(b) Recites memorized prayer over and over.
(c) Moves to the back of the line and runs away.
(d) Encourages the other men to never lose faith.
12. What causes Eomer to fight fiercely with no thought for his own safety?
(a) Heckling from an Orc leader.
(b) The sight of Theoden and Eowyn dead.
(c) The sight of little Merry fighting bravely.
(d) Some encouraging words from Gandalf.
13. Who does Frodo tell the leader of the band of men in Ithilien has been killed?
14. Who is the leader of the band of men who apprehend Sam and Frodo by their campfire in Ithilien?
15. What is Gimli so ashamed of as he travels with Aragorn on his secret mission?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) He is the smallest person in the party.
(c) He is the only dwarf.
(d) He does not agree with this decision of Aragorn's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aragorn name as the new Prince of Ithilien?
2. What ties Gollum so strongly to Frodo while he has the Ring?
3. What is Denethor trying to do that Gandalf is determined to stop during the battle at Minas Tirith?
4. What scares the great spider away in Shelob's lair?
5. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)