|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam hear the Orcs say when he is in Cirith Ungol?
(a) Frodo is not dead, only paralyzed.
(b) Gollum was killed by the spider.
(c) The armies of Mordor are getting ready to attack Minas Tirith.
(d) Sauran knows where the Ring is.
2. Why is Merry so upset when Theoden and his army head off to battle?
(a) Theoden wants Merry to stay away from the battle.
(b) Merry thinks that they should get well rested before joining another battle.
(c) Merry feels that this call for help is a trap.
(d) Theoden promised to wait for the return of Aragorn.
3. Where does Aragorn decide to go after speaking with the Rangers who found him?
(a) To find Frodo at Mordor.
(b) Back to Isengard.
(c) The Paths of the Dead.
(d) To Rivendell to be with Arwen.
4. What does Bill Ferny do when he sees Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin all standing on Brandywine Bridge heavily armed?
(a) He runs away, never to be seen again.
(b) He tries to attack them, but they are too battle savvy for him.
(c) He cheers for joy that they have made it back safely.
(d) He jumps into the river out of fear.
5. What causes Eomer to fight fiercely with no thought for his own safety?
(a) The sight of little Merry fighting bravely.
(b) The sight of Theoden and Eowyn dead.
(c) Some encouraging words from Gandalf.
(d) Heckling from an Orc leader.
6. Why do Sam and Frodo choose to not enter through the main entrance to Mordor?
(a) It is too heavily guarded.
(b) Sam falls ill and is unable to continue at the present.
(c) They are captured.
(d) Frodo is not ready to give the ring back.
7. Who officially gives Aragorn the keys to the city of Minas Tirith?
(d) A guard of Gondor soldiers.
8. Where do the fellowship member who were at Isengard ride after the parley with Saruman?
9. How does Sam restore the trees that were cut down while he was away with Frodo?
(a) He asks Gandalf to help him with his powers.
(b) He has Ted Sandyman do the work since he is the one who destroyed the trees in the first place.
(c) He creates a task force of hobits to help him.
(d) He plants new trees and places a grain of Galadriel's earth on them.
10. What scares the great spider away in Shelob's lair?
(a) The sword from Bilbo.
(b) Sam's box of earth from Galadriel.
(c) The phial of light from Galadriel.
(d) Gollum's threats.
11. What does Gandalf do when he sees the beheaded statue of the king as they are leaving Minas Tirith?
(a) Restores the head.
(b) Creates a new statue of Aragorn.
(c) Smashes the whole thing.
(d) Creates a new head as a tribute to Theoden.
12. What do Gimli and Legolas discuss as they walk through Minas Tirith after the battle?
(a) How they are confused about the lack of news from Frodo.
(b) How much better the dwarves and elves could have made it.
(c) How unexpected their friendship is.
(d) How unexpected their vicotry was.
13. Why does Sam not kill Gollum when he has the chance on Mount Doom?
(a) Gollum pretends to be dead.
(b) He has pity on him.
(c) He follows after Frodo to keep him safe.
(d) Gollum knocks Sam unconscious.
14. What does Pippin see chasing Faramir towards Minas Tirith after he has been outfitted as a knight of Gondor?
(a) Denethor in a crazed state.
(b) A nazgul.
(c) A host of Orc warriors.
(d) A great eagle.
15. How long is an ell?
(a) 45 inches.
(b) 45 yards.
(c) 450 centimeters.
(d) 4.5 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the 'Chief' that made the new rules of not allowing people to cross Brandywine Bridge at the end of the book?
2. Why are the men of Gondor worried when Gandalf rides past them with Pippin on his way to Minas Tirith?
3. What gift doe Eowyn give Merry after he is made a soldier of Gondor?
4. What does Legolas see while at the House of Healing that makes him want to go to sea?
5. What happens when Sam and Frodo are forced to travel on the road through Mordor again?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)