|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the person who is in control of the Shire when Frodo returns there at the end of the book?
2. What is the name of the main entrance to Mordor?
(a) The End of Dreams.
(b) The Passage of Death.
(c) The Gate of Sauron.
(d) The Black Gate.
3. Why does Frodo request what he does from the men as he is escorted away from the waterfall?
(a) To replace what they ruined in their ambush.
(b) To help him complete his urgent task sooner.
(c) To make himself even with Gollum.
(d) To show that he truly means no harm.
4. What do Frodo and Sam just barely escape the notice of on the bridge to Minas Morgul.
(a) Faramir's men.
(b) A troop of Mordor men on Oliphants.
(c) A ringwraithe and an army of orcs.
(d) A host of evil ghosts returning to Mordor.
5. What happens when Sam and Frodo are forced to travel on the road through Mordor again?
(a) They travel with all the other orcs.
(b) They are mocked for being such small orcs.
(c) They are trained for battle.
(d) They are pushed into the ravine.
6. What is every man in Bree carrying when the hobbits pass through on their way back to the Shire?
(a) Bottles of ale.
7. What ties Gollum so strongly to Frodo while he has the Ring?
(a) Gollum has an intense sense of loyalty.
(b) Gollum swore an oath on the ring.
(c) Gollum lost the Ring once and will not let it out of his sight again.
(d) Frodo and Gollum are made brothers by the suffering the Ring causes.
8. After Shelob attacks Frodo and Sam, and Sam chases Gollum up the hillside, Sam next finds Frodo:
(a) Being drained of blood by Shelob.
(b) In a cocoon of webbing.
(c) Breathing heavily and hallucinating.
(d) Helplessly flailing his arms at the giant spider.
9. What has Faramir been ordered to do with all trespassers on Gondor soil?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Blindfold them and take them to the court.
(c) Escort them to the border.
(d) Question them intensely.
10. What do Frodo and Sam find at the exit of Shelob's lair?
(a) Shelob waiting to attack.
(b) A giant rock rolled in the way.
(c) A dead Orc.
(d) A giant web.
11. How does Gollum get the ring back from Frodo?
(a) He throws himself at it as Frodo throws it into the flames.
(b) He tells Frodo that he wants to destroy it himself.
(c) He bites it off his finger.
(d) He jumps on him and takes it from his neck.
12. What does Aragorn use to heal Merry and Eowyn?
(b) An Elven herb.
(c) Soil and water.
13. Why is Merry so upset when Theoden and his army head off to battle?
(a) Merry thinks that they should get well rested before joining another battle.
(b) Merry feels that this call for help is a trap.
(c) Theoden wants Merry to stay away from the battle.
(d) Theoden promised to wait for the return of Aragorn.
14. Why does Gollum refuse to eat the rabbits that Sam prepares?
(a) He only eats raw meat.
(b) He fears that Sam will poison him.
(c) He never eats in front of people.
(d) He hates herbs from the shire.
15. Who kills the Nazgul King who no man could slay?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Orcs at the Black Gate to become confused and disoriented?
2. Who saves Sam and Frodo from a fiery death on Mount Doom?
3. What does Sauron use to parley with Gandalf before they begin the final battle?
4. How do Sam and Frodo get through Mordor undetected?
5. Where does Gandalf decide to go when they see a Nazul flying by as they are leaving Isengard?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)