|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signal is brought to Theoden that means Gondor is in dire need?
(a) A message from Gandalf sent by an eagle.
(b) A blood soaked letter from Denethol.
(c) A flaming signal.
(d) A red arrow.
2. How does Gollum get the ring back from Frodo?
(a) He bites it off his finger.
(b) He throws himself at it as Frodo throws it into the flames.
(c) He tells Frodo that he wants to destroy it himself.
(d) He jumps on him and takes it from his neck.
3. Who has 'imprisoned' Eowyn and Faramir in the House of Healing during the battle at Mordor?
(a) Merry and Pippin.
(b) The medical staff.
(c) Gandalf and Aragorn.
4. What does Sam hear the Orcs say when he is in Cirith Ungol?
(a) Sauran knows where the Ring is.
(b) Gollum was killed by the spider.
(c) Frodo is not dead, only paralyzed.
(d) The armies of Mordor are getting ready to attack Minas Tirith.
5. Why does Sam take the Ring from Frodo after wounding Shelob?
(a) He saw himself doing this in Galadriel's mirror.
(b) Frodo gives him the Ring.
(c) He has become overpowered by the ring.
(d) He thinks Frodo is dead.
6. Where does Theoden lead his men after receiving word that Gondor's troops are in trouble?
(b) Minas Tirith.
(c) Helm's Deep.
7. What happens when Sam and Frodo are forced to travel on the road through Mordor again?
(a) They are trained for battle.
(b) They are pushed into the ravine.
(c) They travel with all the other orcs.
(d) They are mocked for being such small orcs.
8. What is Gimli so ashamed of as he travels with Aragorn on his secret mission?
(a) He is the only dwarf.
(b) He does not agree with this decision of Aragorn's.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He is the smallest person in the party.
9. Where do Sam and Frodo sleep after their exhausting climb down an almost sheer rock-face?
(a) In a tent provided by the elves.
(b) The open ground.
(c) A cave.
(d) Under a tree.
10. What is Denethor trying to do that Gandalf is determined to stop during the battle at Minas Tirith?
(a) Leak intelligence to the enemy.
(b) Tell the soldiers that there is no hope.
(c) Kill the next-in-line to the throne.
(d) Burn himself and his dying son.
11. Who does the leader of the band of men in Ithilien tell Frodo has been killed?
12. What do Frodo and Sam find at the exit of Shelob's lair?
(a) A dead Orc.
(b) A giant web.
(c) Shelob waiting to attack.
(d) A giant rock rolled in the way.
13. What does Aragorn use to heal Merry and Eowyn?
(a) Soil and water.
(b) An Elven herb.
14. What is every man in Bree carrying when the hobbits pass through on their way back to the Shire?
(a) Bottles of ale.
15. After Shelob attacks Frodo and Sam, and Sam chases Gollum up the hillside, Sam next finds Frodo:
(a) Being drained of blood by Shelob.
(b) Helplessly flailing his arms at the giant spider.
(c) In a cocoon of webbing.
(d) Breathing heavily and hallucinating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gollum see after their climb up the stairs that softens his heart towards Sam for a moment?
2. What does Sam do when Frodo collapses half way up Mount Doom?
3. How many tiers of stairs does Gandalf have to ride to get to the hall of Denethor?
4. What passes by Sam and Frodo as they are travellng to Mordor that causes them to hide by a bush?
5. What is the name of the person who is in control of the Shire when Frodo returns there at the end of the book?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)