|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) Instructions from Bilbo.
(b) A letter from Gandalf.
(c) Some weapons from the elves.
(d) A pint of mead from Moria.
2. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
3. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
(a) Gandalf the White.
(c) Saruman the White.
(d) Merry and Pippin.
4. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
(a) His voice.
(b) His staff.
(c) His mind.
(d) His eyes.
5. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
(a) Tall, ghostly, shimmering kings.
(b) Full of worms and spiders.
(c) Rotten, shriveling corpses.
(d) Black and inky.
6. How much time passes between the first and second chapters of the book?
(a) 7 Days.
(b) 17 Years.
(c) 7 Months.
(d) 7 Years.
7. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(b) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(c) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
(d) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
8. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
(a) Towards the path to Mordor.
(b) The abyss of the earth.
(c) The Main turret castle of Isengard.
(d) The tower of Orthnac.
9. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(b) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(c) The Withywindle River.
(d) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
10. What does Aragorn find in Weathertop that lets him know that Gandalf was there recently?
(a) Some foot prints.
(b) A strip from Gandalf's robe,
(c) The remains of a campfire.
(d) A note scratched on a rock.
11. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
12. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
(b) They attacked in daylight.
(c) They are not from Mordor.
(d) They were too easy to kill.
13. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
(a) He knows that he can trust Sam to not try to take the Ring.
(b) He is afraid to be alone.
(c) Sam is drowning.
(d) Sam is his best friend.
14. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The Ents.
(b) The army of Rohan.
(c) The army of Mordor.
(d) The orcs.
15. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
(a) He threatens the guard.
(b) He bewitches his staff to be invisible.
(c) He tricks the guard.
(d) He hides his staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
2. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
3. What sends 3 of the 5 Black Riders away as Frodo and Glorfindel are rushing to Rivendell?
4. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
5. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)