|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says they will be part of the companionship of the ring, or be sent home in sacks?
(a) Merry and Pippen.
(b) Aragor and Arwen.
(c) Boromir and Faramir.
(d) Bilbo and Fatty.
2. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He knows Frodo's name.
(b) He seems angry.
(c) He tries to take the ring by force.
(d) He is not at all surprised.
3. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
(a) A menacing troll.
(b) The Balrog's claw.
(c) The Balrog's chain.
(d) The Balrog's whip.
4. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
(a) He has a mind of metal and wheels.
(b) He is the enemy of nature.
(c) He was once a gracious man.
(d) He is a man poisoned by greed and blind to evil.
5. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
(b) Gives him a gift.
(c) Sings a tribute for Balin.
(d) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
6. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Praised Boramir.
(b) Threw stones at them.
(c) Insulted them.
(d) Cut off their hands.
7. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
8. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
(a) Speaking to the bartender of the Prancing Pony.
(b) Trying to hide from Strider.
(c) Rushing to tell Pippen to be quiet.
(d) Singing and dancing on a table.
9. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
(a) Mr. Rider
(b) Mr. Underhill.
(c) Bilbo Baggins.
(d) Gandalf Stormcrow.
10. How is Saruman a traitor to Sauran?
(a) He plans to fight with Aragorn against Sauran.
(b) He is trying to create a ring more pwerful that the One Ring.
(c) He is preparing an army with the power of Mordor to attack Mordor.
(d) He plans to take the ring for himself.
11. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
12. Who was imprisoned with Saruman after Isengard was detroyed?
(a) A watchguard of elves.
(b) The head Orc.
(d) A traitor Rohan Rider.
13. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) A brown Wizard.
(b) A camp of elves.
(c) 3 Dwarves.
(d) A warm hearted ranger.
14. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Rohan with the Horsemen.
(b) Rivendell with the Elves.
(c) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
(d) Moria with the Dwarves.
15. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They were too easy to kill.
(b) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
(c) They are not from Mordor.
(d) They attacked in daylight.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
2. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
3. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
4. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
5. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)