|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
(b) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
(c) Sell his house for a profit.
(d) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
2. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The army of Rohan.
(b) The Ents.
(c) The orcs.
(d) The army of Mordor.
3. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
4. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
(a) Try to catch up with them.
(b) Find and rescue Merry and Pippen.
(c) Ask the Lorien elves for advice.
(d) Send half the party after Merry and Pippen, and the other half after Frodo.
5. What is so valuable about the cloaks that the elves give the companions as they leave Lothlorien?
(a) They will never be cold while wearing them.
(b) They can blend into the background.
(c) They will grow or shrink to fit the person wearing them.
(d) They will never tear.
6. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
(a) 3 days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) A month.
(d) 3 weeks.
7. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
(a) He holds his breath and pretends to be dead.
(b) He runs to the Gaffer's house and hide behind the barrells of ale.
(c) He lies to them and sends them in the opposite direction.
(d) He escapes out a back door.
8. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
9. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
(a) That they split with him the gifts they will get at Rivendell.
(b) That they let him be their guide.
(c) That they promise to not tell Gandalf he was there.
(d) That they allow him to wear the ring while at the Prancing Pony.
10. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
11. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A place in the king's counsel.
(b) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(c) A robe of lovely white silk.
(d) Shadowfax, the horse.
12. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(b) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(c) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(d) The Withywindle River.
13. Why was Gandalf late to see Frodo on his journey?
(a) He was angry at Frodo for his lack of response to a letter.
(b) He was held captive.
(c) He simply forgot the details of his promise.
(d) He had other pressing matters to attend to.
14. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) A pint of mead from Moria.
(b) A letter from Gandalf.
(c) Some weapons from the elves.
(d) Instructions from Bilbo.
15. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) A brown Wizard.
(b) A camp of elves.
(c) A warm hearted ranger.
(d) 3 Dwarves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
2. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
3. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
4. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
5. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)