|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(b) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
(c) The Black Nights killing his father.
(d) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
2. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The Ents.
(b) The army of Rohan.
(c) The army of Mordor.
(d) The orcs.
3. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
4. How much time passes between the first and second chapters of the book?
(a) 7 Years.
(b) 7 Months.
(c) 7 Days.
(d) 17 Years.
5. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) A warm hearted ranger.
(b) A camp of elves.
(c) 3 Dwarves.
(d) A brown Wizard.
6. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
7. What does Aragorn hear while at the seat of Amon Lhaw that sends him running in the other direction?
(a) The call of the orcs.
(b) A Nazgul laughing and screeching.
(c) Boramir's horn.
(d) Merry and Pippen screaming.
8. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
(a) Their ponies have been stolen.
(b) Merry is still unconscious from his run-in with a Black Rider.
(c) They are trying to hide from Bill Ferny.
(d) Pippen is hungover from drinking.
9. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
(a) Gandalf Stormcrow.
(b) Mr. Rider
(c) Bilbo Baggins.
(d) Mr. Underhill.
10. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
(b) Rohan with the Horsemen.
(c) Rivendell with the Elves.
(d) Moria with the Dwarves.
11. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(b) The Withywindle River.
(c) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(d) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
12. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
(b) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(c) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(d) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
13. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
(a) The sword of a fallen Orc.
(b) The helmet of the Orc who is carrying him.
(c) His teeth.
(d) The broach from his elven cloak.
14. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
(b) They attacked in daylight.
(c) They are not from Mordor.
(d) They were too easy to kill.
15. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
2. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
3. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
4. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
5. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)