|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(b) The Withywindle River.
(c) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(d) The spells cast on it by wizards.
2. Who says they will be part of the companionship of the ring, or be sent home in sacks?
(a) Bilbo and Fatty.
(b) Boromir and Faramir.
(c) Aragor and Arwen.
(d) Merry and Pippen.
3. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A robe of lovely white silk.
(b) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(c) A place in the king's counsel.
(d) Shadowfax, the horse.
4. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
(a) They offer an escort to get them to their destination.
(b) They show the hobbits a hall made of trees.
(c) They cast an enchantment of safety over them.
(d) They give them weapons to fight the dark riders with.
5. What does Wormtongue throw down at Gandalf during the parley with Saruman?
(b) Burning limbs.
(c) A round stone.
(d) Orc corpses.
6. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(b) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
(c) The Ring is losing its power.
(d) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
7. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
(a) He is happy to have avoided harm.
(b) He is afraid that there may be more danger involved now that he has joined them.
(c) He is disappointed about missing the action.
(d) He is excited to show his bravery during the next trial they will face.
8. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
9. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
10. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Praised Boramir.
(b) Cut off their hands.
(c) Insulted them.
(d) Threw stones at them.
11. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
(a) The Balrog's claw.
(b) A menacing troll.
(c) The Balrog's chain.
(d) The Balrog's whip.
12. Who does the monster in the water outside the doors of Moria attack first?
13. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
(a) The broach from his elven cloak.
(b) His teeth.
(c) The helmet of the Orc who is carrying him.
(d) The sword of a fallen Orc.
14. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
(a) A pile of kambas bread.
(c) A brooch from their elven cloaks.
(d) A piece of their clothing.
15. What is Galadriel's gift to Sam?
(a) A box of earth from her garden.
(b) 3 strands of her hair.
(c) A golden sheath for his sword.
(d) A silver belt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
2. How much time passes between the first and second chapters of the book?
3. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
4. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
5. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)