|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are sinking in a mud pit.
(b) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
(c) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
(d) Their baggage has been stolen.
2. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) 3 Dwarves.
(b) A brown Wizard.
(c) A camp of elves.
(d) A warm hearted ranger.
3. Who does the monster in the water outside the doors of Moria attack first?
4. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
(a) Sam is his best friend.
(b) He is afraid to be alone.
(c) He knows that he can trust Sam to not try to take the Ring.
(d) Sam is drowning.
5. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(b) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(c) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(d) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
6. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Rohan with the Horsemen.
(b) Rivendell with the Elves.
(c) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
(d) Moria with the Dwarves.
7. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
(a) That they split with him the gifts they will get at Rivendell.
(b) That they let him be their guide.
(c) That they allow him to wear the ring while at the Prancing Pony.
(d) That they promise to not tell Gandalf he was there.
8. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
(a) A Ringwraith has been spotted near Rivendell.
(b) Gollum has escaped.
(c) Sauron knows where the ring is.
(d) The elves will have nothing to do with the evil ring and its fate.
9. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
(a) A piece of their clothing.
(b) A brooch from their elven cloaks.
(d) A pile of kambas bread.
10. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
(a) He uses the elven sword to fight for them.
(b) He is paralyzed in fear and passes out.
(c) He runs around blindly trying to save them.
(d) He sings a call for Tom.
11. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) 3 days.
(d) A fortnight.
12. How is Saruman a traitor to Sauran?
(a) He plans to take the ring for himself.
(b) He is preparing an army with the power of Mordor to attack Mordor.
(c) He is trying to create a ring more pwerful that the One Ring.
(d) He plans to fight with Aragorn against Sauran.
13. What does Aragorn find in Weathertop that lets him know that Gandalf was there recently?
(a) The remains of a campfire.
(b) A strip from Gandalf's robe,
(c) A note scratched on a rock.
(d) Some foot prints.
14. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
(a) He promises to give it to Boramir when they reach Mordor.
(b) He begins to cry, and Boramir feels instant remorse.
(c) He runs and hides with his elven cloak.
(d) He puts on the ring and vanishes from sight.
15. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A place in the king's counsel.
(b) Shadowfax, the horse.
(c) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(d) A robe of lovely white silk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
2. Who destroyed Isengard?
3. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
4. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
5. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)