|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
(a) A word.
(b) A sword.
(c) His hands.
(d) His Staff.
2. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) A brown Wizard.
(b) 3 Dwarves.
(c) A camp of elves.
(d) A warm hearted ranger.
3. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) Some weapons from the elves.
(b) A pint of mead from Moria.
(c) Instructions from Bilbo.
(d) A letter from Gandalf.
4. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
(a) It is pure water with healing powers.
(b) It is a burial ground for Dwarf warriors.
(c) It mirrors the mountains and stars even in the sunlight.
(d) It is filled with blood.
5. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
(a) He lies to them and sends them in the opposite direction.
(b) He runs to the Gaffer's house and hide behind the barrells of ale.
(c) He escapes out a back door.
(d) He holds his breath and pretends to be dead.
6. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
(b) The Ring is losing its power.
(c) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(d) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
7. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
(a) Sauron knows where the ring is.
(b) The elves will have nothing to do with the evil ring and its fate.
(c) A Ringwraith has been spotted near Rivendell.
(d) Gollum has escaped.
8. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
(a) Rotten, shriveling corpses.
(b) Full of worms and spiders.
(c) Black and inky.
(d) Tall, ghostly, shimmering kings.
9. What is so valuable about the cloaks that the elves give the companions as they leave Lothlorien?
(a) They will never tear.
(b) They will never be cold while wearing them.
(c) They can blend into the background.
(d) They will grow or shrink to fit the person wearing them.
10. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 3 days.
(d) A month.
11. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
(b) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
(c) Sell his house for a profit.
(d) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
12. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
(a) Some weapons.
(b) Some food.
(c) An intricate piece of jewelery.
(d) A map.
13. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
(a) He rebukes him right back.
(b) He heals the king.
(c) He bows down in respect.
(d) He smites Wormtongue.
14. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
(a) Threatens Eomer with his axe.
(b) Stays silent out of fear.
(c) Agrees with him wholeheartedly.
(d) Defends her honor and her name.
15. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
(a) Die by his side in battle if necessary.
(b) Share the spoils of the next victory.
(c) Take him on a tour of his home caves.
(d) Be a life-long friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
2. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
3. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
4. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
5. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)