|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
(a) Sauron knows where the ring is.
(b) A Ringwraith has been spotted near Rivendell.
(c) Gollum has escaped.
(d) The elves will have nothing to do with the evil ring and its fate.
2. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
(a) He bows down in respect.
(b) He rebukes him right back.
(c) He smites Wormtongue.
(d) He heals the king.
3. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
4. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(b) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(c) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(d) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
5. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He is not at all surprised.
(b) He knows Frodo's name.
(c) He seems angry.
(d) He tries to take the ring by force.
6. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
(b) They are sinking in a mud pit.
(c) Their baggage has been stolen.
(d) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
7. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
(a) He holds his breath and pretends to be dead.
(b) He escapes out a back door.
(c) He lies to them and sends them in the opposite direction.
(d) He runs to the Gaffer's house and hide behind the barrells of ale.
8. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The Ents.
(b) The army of Mordor.
(c) The orcs.
(d) The army of Rohan.
9. What is Treebeard's motto?
(a) Do not be hasty.
(b) Trust the small and hate the large.
(c) Thinking takes time.
(d) The good will cherish nature.
10. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
(a) A map.
(b) Some food.
(c) An intricate piece of jewelery.
(d) Some weapons.
11. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His staff.
(c) His mind.
(d) His voice.
12. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
(a) 3 days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) A month.
13. What does Wormtongue throw down at Gandalf during the parley with Saruman?
(a) Orc corpses.
(b) A round stone.
(d) Burning limbs.
14. Who willingly rides in Legolas's boat as the companions travel away from Lothlorien?
15. What is so different about the Old forest?
(a) The trees house evil spirits.
(b) The trees are all dead.
(c) The trees are alive and aware of who enters.
(d) The trees talk to the people who journey through it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the monster in the water outside the doors of Moria attack first?
2. Who says they will be part of the companionship of the ring, or be sent home in sacks?
3. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
4. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
5. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)