|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
2. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(b) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(c) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(d) The Withywindle River.
3. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
(a) He lies to them and sends them in the opposite direction.
(b) He escapes out a back door.
(c) He holds his breath and pretends to be dead.
(d) He runs to the Gaffer's house and hide behind the barrells of ale.
4. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Sell his house for a profit.
(b) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
(c) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
(d) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
5. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Threw stones at them.
(b) Cut off their hands.
(c) Insulted them.
(d) Praised Boramir.
6. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
(b) A Balrog.
(c) A mysterious elf.
7. Who saves Eomer from the orc pretending to be dead?
8. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
(a) Try to catch up with them.
(b) Ask the Lorien elves for advice.
(c) Send half the party after Merry and Pippen, and the other half after Frodo.
(d) Find and rescue Merry and Pippen.
9. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A place in the king's counsel.
(b) A robe of lovely white silk.
(c) Shadowfax, the horse.
(d) A promise to unite with Gondor.
10. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
(a) Sauran thinks Frodo is with Aragorn.
(b) Sauran has emtpied Mordor to attack Minas Tirith.
(c) The Ring is losing its power.
(d) Frodo is so small that he will not fall in the path of the great eye.
11. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
(a) 4 months and 3 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks and 4 days.
(c) 3 days and 4 nights.
(d) 4 nights and 3 days.
12. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
(a) Die by his side in battle if necessary.
(b) Be a life-long friend.
(c) Share the spoils of the next victory.
(d) Take him on a tour of his home caves.
13. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
(a) He is happy to have avoided harm.
(b) He is disappointed about missing the action.
(c) He is afraid that there may be more danger involved now that he has joined them.
(d) He is excited to show his bravery during the next trial they will face.
14. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) The Black Nights killing his father.
(b) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
(c) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(d) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
15. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
(a) He was once a gracious man.
(b) He has a mind of metal and wheels.
(c) He is a man poisoned by greed and blind to evil.
(d) He is the enemy of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
2. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
3. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Tom symbolic of?
5. What is Galadriel's gift to Sam?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)