|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Merry and Pippin run when they are freed of their ropes as the Rohirram begin attacking the Orcs?
(a) They dig a hole and hide in it.
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(c) To the Rohirram men.
(d) Back the way they came.
2. Why was Gandalf not welcome any longer in King Theoden's hall, according to Eomer?
(a) He offended the king.
(b) He brought nothing but bad news.
(c) He attempted to kill Grima.
(d) He tried to forge a union between Rohan and Gondor.
3. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
(a) He and his brother had a dream about the sword of Isildur.
(b) His kingdom is failing, and he needs power.
(c) He wants to prove his valor as a future king of Gondor.
(d) He is estranged from his father, and ran there for sanctuary.
4. How many doors are there for Gandalf to choose from when he becomes stumped while traveling through Moria?
5. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The orcs.
(b) The Ents.
(c) The army of Rohan.
(d) The army of Mordor.
6. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
(a) Mr. Rider
(b) Gandalf Stormcrow.
(c) Bilbo Baggins.
(d) Mr. Underhill.
7. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
(a) Spring loaded weapons.
(b) Blasting fire.
(c) Spells of Saruman.
8. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
9. Who was imprisoned with Saruman after Isengard was detroyed?
(a) The head Orc.
(b) A traitor Rohan Rider.
(d) A watchguard of elves.
10. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
(a) His mind.
(b) His staff.
(c) His voice.
(d) His eyes.
11. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
(a) Send half the party after Merry and Pippen, and the other half after Frodo.
(b) Find and rescue Merry and Pippen.
(c) Try to catch up with them.
(d) Ask the Lorien elves for advice.
12. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 3 days.
13. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Gives him a gift.
(b) Sings a tribute for Balin.
(c) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
(d) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
14. How is Saruman a traitor to Sauran?
(a) He plans to fight with Aragorn against Sauran.
(b) He is preparing an army with the power of Mordor to attack Mordor.
(c) He is trying to create a ring more pwerful that the One Ring.
(d) He plans to take the ring for himself.
15. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
(a) Enlist in the Rohan army.
(b) Become a territory of Rohan.
(c) Pay half of their harvest as a payment for the lands ruined in the battle.
(d) Build mounds for the dead and stack orc corpses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom symbolic of?
2. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
3. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
4. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
5. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)