|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
(a) Gollum has escaped.
(b) The elves will have nothing to do with the evil ring and its fate.
(c) A Ringwraith has been spotted near Rivendell.
(d) Sauron knows where the ring is.
2. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(b) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(c) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(d) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
3. What happens to the knife that stabbed Frodo when Aragorn picks it up?
(a) It cuts his finger.
(b) It becomes hot and burns him.
(c) It disintegrates.
(d) It becomes freezing cold.
4. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(b) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(c) The Black Nights killing his father.
(d) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
5. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
6. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
(a) He bows down in respect.
(b) He rebukes him right back.
(c) He smites Wormtongue.
(d) He heals the king.
7. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The orcs.
(b) The Ents.
(c) The army of Rohan.
(d) The army of Mordor.
8. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 3 months.
9. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
(a) Trying to hide from Strider.
(b) Rushing to tell Pippen to be quiet.
(c) Speaking to the bartender of the Prancing Pony.
(d) Singing and dancing on a table.
10. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
(a) 3 days and 4 nights.
(b) 3 weeks and 4 days.
(c) 4 nights and 3 days.
(d) 4 months and 3 weeks.
11. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
(a) They offer an escort to get them to their destination.
(b) They cast an enchantment of safety over them.
(c) They show the hobbits a hall made of trees.
(d) They give them weapons to fight the dark riders with.
12. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Threw stones at them.
(b) Cut off their hands.
(c) Praised Boramir.
(d) Insulted them.
13. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
(a) His mind.
(b) His voice.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His staff.
14. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(b) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(c) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(d) The Withywindle River.
15. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
(a) Orc spies.
(b) A crocadilly.
(d) Protection from the elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
2. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
3. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
4. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
5. Who saves Eomer from the orc pretending to be dead?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)