|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frodo see crawling to his friends when he awakes in the burrow?
(b) An old hag.
(c) An arm.
(d) An angry tree root.
2. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
(a) A sword.
(b) His hands.
(c) A word.
(d) His Staff.
3. What is Tom symbolic of?
(a) The Earth.
4. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) A pint of mead from Moria.
(b) A letter from Gandalf.
(c) Instructions from Bilbo.
(d) Some weapons from the elves.
5. Why does Frodo choose to continue his journey alone?
(a) He is afraid of Boramir.
(b) He saw himself travelling alone in Galadriel's mirror.
(c) He wants the ring for himself.
(d) He knows that the Ring poses too much danger to his friends.
6. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
7. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
(a) Trying to hide from Strider.
(b) Rushing to tell Pippen to be quiet.
(c) Speaking to the bartender of the Prancing Pony.
(d) Singing and dancing on a table.
8. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 3 months.
9. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
10. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
11. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
(c) A mysterious elf.
(d) A Balrog.
12. What is so different about the Old forest?
(a) The trees house evil spirits.
(b) The trees talk to the people who journey through it.
(c) The trees are alive and aware of who enters.
(d) The trees are all dead.
13. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
14. Where does Gandalf advise Theoden to go before he leaves them on an urgent errand?
(b) Minas Tirith.
(c) Helm's Deep.
15. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
(a) He uses the elven sword to fight for them.
(b) He is paralyzed in fear and passes out.
(c) He sings a call for Tom.
(d) He runs around blindly trying to save them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
2. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
3. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
4. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
5. How much time passes between the first and second chapters of the book?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)