|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) A letter from Gandalf.
(b) A pint of mead from Moria.
(c) Instructions from Bilbo.
(d) Some weapons from the elves.
2. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
(a) He uses the elven sword to fight for them.
(b) He sings a call for Tom.
(c) He runs around blindly trying to save them.
(d) He is paralyzed in fear and passes out.
3. What does Wormtongue throw down at Gandalf during the parley with Saruman?
(a) A round stone.
(c) Orc corpses.
(d) Burning limbs.
4. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
(b) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
(c) Their baggage has been stolen.
(d) They are sinking in a mud pit.
5. What is Tom symbolic of?
(a) The Earth.
6. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 3 days.
7. Who says they will be part of the companionship of the ring, or be sent home in sacks?
(a) Boromir and Faramir.
(b) Merry and Pippen.
(c) Bilbo and Fatty.
(d) Aragor and Arwen.
8. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
(a) His teeth.
(b) The helmet of the Orc who is carrying him.
(c) The sword of a fallen Orc.
(d) The broach from his elven cloak.
9. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The Ents.
(b) The orcs.
(c) The army of Mordor.
(d) The army of Rohan.
10. What sends 3 of the 5 Black Riders away as Frodo and Glorfindel are rushing to Rivendell?
(a) The river.
(b) An elven spell.
(d) A dragon.
11. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A place in the king's counsel.
(b) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(c) A robe of lovely white silk.
(d) Shadowfax, the horse.
12. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Sings a tribute for Balin.
(b) Gives him a gift.
(c) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
(d) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
13. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
(a) It is filled with blood.
(b) It is pure water with healing powers.
(c) It is a burial ground for Dwarf warriors.
(d) It mirrors the mountains and stars even in the sunlight.
14. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Threw stones at them.
(b) Praised Boramir.
(c) Insulted them.
(d) Cut off their hands.
15. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
(a) Blasting fire.
(b) Spring loaded weapons.
(c) Spells of Saruman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
2. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
3. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
4. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
5. What happens to the knife that stabbed Frodo when Aragorn picks it up?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)