|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
(a) A menacing troll.
(b) The Balrog's chain.
(c) The Balrog's claw.
(d) The Balrog's whip.
2. What is Treebeard's motto?
(a) Thinking takes time.
(b) Trust the small and hate the large.
(c) The good will cherish nature.
(d) Do not be hasty.
3. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
(a) A map.
(b) Some weapons.
(c) Some food.
(d) An intricate piece of jewelery.
4. Where do Merry and Pippin run when they are freed of their ropes as the Rohirram begin attacking the Orcs?
(a) Fangorn Forest.
(b) They dig a hole and hide in it.
(c) Back the way they came.
(d) To the Rohirram men.
5. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He is not at all surprised.
(b) He seems angry.
(c) He tries to take the ring by force.
(d) He knows Frodo's name.
6. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
(a) That they promise to not tell Gandalf he was there.
(b) That they allow him to wear the ring while at the Prancing Pony.
(c) That they let him be their guide.
(d) That they split with him the gifts they will get at Rivendell.
7. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
8. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
9. How many doors are there for Gandalf to choose from when he becomes stumped while traveling through Moria?
10. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
(b) Merry and Pippin.
(c) Gandalf the White.
(d) Saruman the White.
11. What is so valuable about the cloaks that the elves give the companions as they leave Lothlorien?
(a) They will never be cold while wearing them.
(b) They will never tear.
(c) They will grow or shrink to fit the person wearing them.
(d) They can blend into the background.
12. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
(a) "Fear enfolds us and pushes us on."
(b) "There is no escape here in the deep."
(c) "They are coming."
(d) "There were drums, drums."
13. Who willingly rides in Legolas's boat as the companions travel away from Lothlorien?
14. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
15. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A place in the king's counsel.
(b) Shadowfax, the horse.
(c) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(d) A robe of lovely white silk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
2. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
3. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
4. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
5. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)