|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
(a) The elves will have nothing to do with the evil ring and its fate.
(b) Sauron knows where the ring is.
(c) A Ringwraith has been spotted near Rivendell.
(d) Gollum has escaped.
2. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
(a) He is paralyzed in fear and passes out.
(b) He uses the elven sword to fight for them.
(c) He runs around blindly trying to save them.
(d) He sings a call for Tom.
3. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
4. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
(b) Blasting fire.
(c) Spells of Saruman.
(d) Spring loaded weapons.
5. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
6. Who saves Eomer from the orc pretending to be dead?
7. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
(a) An unbreakable chain to put the ring on.
(b) A finished copy of his memiors.
(c) A sword and a shirt of mail.
(d) A set of clothing that can render him invisible.
8. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
(a) 3 days and 4 nights.
(b) 4 months and 3 weeks.
(c) 4 nights and 3 days.
(d) 3 weeks and 4 days.
9. Why was Gandalf late to see Frodo on his journey?
(a) He was held captive.
(b) He had other pressing matters to attend to.
(c) He simply forgot the details of his promise.
(d) He was angry at Frodo for his lack of response to a letter.
10. What does Aragorn find in Weathertop that lets him know that Gandalf was there recently?
(a) A strip from Gandalf's robe,
(b) The remains of a campfire.
(c) Some foot prints.
(d) A note scratched on a rock.
11. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Moria with the Dwarves.
(b) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
(c) Rivendell with the Elves.
(d) Rohan with the Horsemen.
12. Where do Merry and Pippin run when they are freed of their ropes as the Rohirram begin attacking the Orcs?
(a) Fangorn Forest.
(b) Back the way they came.
(c) To the Rohirram men.
(d) They dig a hole and hide in it.
13. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
(a) The entire Shire.
(b) The Ring itself.
(c) Half the jewels of Moria.
(d) A star.
14. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
(a) They are trying to hide from Bill Ferny.
(b) Merry is still unconscious from his run-in with a Black Rider.
(c) Their ponies have been stolen.
(d) Pippen is hungover from drinking.
15. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
(a) He runs and hides with his elven cloak.
(b) He puts on the ring and vanishes from sight.
(c) He promises to give it to Boramir when they reach Mordor.
(d) He begins to cry, and Boramir feels instant remorse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
2. Who willingly rides in Legolas's boat as the companions travel away from Lothlorien?
3. What is Frodo's greatest hope, according to the White wizard?
4. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
5. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)