|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so different about the Old forest?
(a) The trees talk to the people who journey through it.
(b) The trees house evil spirits.
(c) The trees are alive and aware of who enters.
(d) The trees are all dead.
2. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
(a) A sword.
(b) His Staff.
(c) His hands.
(d) A word.
3. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He knows Frodo's name.
(b) He tries to take the ring by force.
(c) He is not at all surprised.
(d) He seems angry.
4. What is Treebeard's motto?
(a) The good will cherish nature.
(b) Thinking takes time.
(c) Trust the small and hate the large.
(d) Do not be hasty.
5. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) The Black Nights killing his father.
(b) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(c) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(d) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
6. What gift does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo sets out on his mission to destroy the Ring?
(a) A sword and a shirt of mail.
(b) An unbreakable chain to put the ring on.
(c) A finished copy of his memiors.
(d) A set of clothing that can render him invisible.
7. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
8. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Threw stones at them.
(b) Praised Boramir.
(c) Insulted them.
(d) Cut off their hands.
9. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
10. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
(b) Their baggage has been stolen.
(c) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
(d) They are sinking in a mud pit.
11. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
(a) It is pure water with healing powers.
(b) It is filled with blood.
(c) It is a burial ground for Dwarf warriors.
(d) It mirrors the mountains and stars even in the sunlight.
12. Where does Gandalf advise Theoden to go before he leaves them on an urgent errand?
(a) Helm's Deep.
(d) Minas Tirith.
13. How is Saruman a traitor to Sauran?
(a) He is trying to create a ring more pwerful that the One Ring.
(b) He is preparing an army with the power of Mordor to attack Mordor.
(c) He plans to take the ring for himself.
(d) He plans to fight with Aragorn against Sauran.
14. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
(b) Gandalf the White.
(c) Saruman the White.
(d) Merry and Pippin.
15. What does Gimli do when Eomer speaks harshly against Galadriel?
(a) Defends her honor and her name.
(b) Stays silent out of fear.
(c) Threatens Eomer with his axe.
(d) Agrees with him wholeheartedly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
2. Who does Gandalf give the history of Balin to for safekeeping?
3. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
4. What name is Frodo using to conceal his identity when they enter Bree?
5. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)