|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
(d) A Dark Rider.
2. Why was Gandalf not welcome any longer in King Theoden's hall, according to Eomer?
(a) He offended the king.
(b) He brought nothing but bad news.
(c) He attempted to kill Grima.
(d) He tried to forge a union between Rohan and Gondor.
3. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Insulted them.
(b) Threw stones at them.
(c) Cut off their hands.
(d) Praised Boramir.
4. What happens when Tom puts on the Ring?
(a) He screams out in pain because it burns him.
(b) He vanishes.
(d) He runs away with it laughing.
5. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
(b) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
(c) Sell his house for a profit.
(d) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
6. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
(a) Pay half of their harvest as a payment for the lands ruined in the battle.
(b) Enlist in the Rohan army.
(c) Become a territory of Rohan.
(d) Build mounds for the dead and stack orc corpses.
7. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
(a) He is happy to have avoided harm.
(b) He is disappointed about missing the action.
(c) He is excited to show his bravery during the next trial they will face.
(d) He is afraid that there may be more danger involved now that he has joined them.
8. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
(a) Try to catch up with them.
(b) Find and rescue Merry and Pippen.
(c) Send half the party after Merry and Pippen, and the other half after Frodo.
(d) Ask the Lorien elves for advice.
9. What makes the pool of Keled-zaram so unusual?
(a) It is pure water with healing powers.
(b) It mirrors the mountains and stars even in the sunlight.
(c) It is filled with blood.
(d) It is a burial ground for Dwarf warriors.
10. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They were too easy to kill.
(b) They attacked in daylight.
(c) They are not from Mordor.
(d) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
11. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
12. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
(a) His hands.
(b) His Staff.
(c) A sword.
(d) A word.
13. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
(a) Lorien with the Sorcerers.
(b) Rohan with the Horsemen.
(c) Moria with the Dwarves.
(d) Rivendell with the Elves.
14. What does Barliman give Frodo that he was supposed to have received months earlier?
(a) A pint of mead from Moria.
(b) A letter from Gandalf.
(c) Some weapons from the elves.
(d) Instructions from Bilbo.
15. What is Treebeard's motto?
(a) The good will cherish nature.
(b) Thinking takes time.
(c) Do not be hasty.
(d) Trust the small and hate the large.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
2. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
3. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
4. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
5. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)