|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
(a) Sauron knows where the ring is.
(b) A Ringwraith has been spotted near Rivendell.
(c) The elves will have nothing to do with the evil ring and its fate.
(d) Gollum has escaped.
2. Who does Frodo find in his room at the Prancing Pony as he stirs his fire back to life?
(d) A Dark Rider.
3. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
(a) He runs and hides with his elven cloak.
(b) He puts on the ring and vanishes from sight.
(c) He promises to give it to Boramir when they reach Mordor.
(d) He begins to cry, and Boramir feels instant remorse.
4. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
(a) Speaking to the bartender of the Prancing Pony.
(b) Rushing to tell Pippen to be quiet.
(c) Singing and dancing on a table.
(d) Trying to hide from Strider.
5. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
(a) He holds his breath and pretends to be dead.
(b) He lies to them and sends them in the opposite direction.
(c) He runs to the Gaffer's house and hide behind the barrells of ale.
(d) He escapes out a back door.
6. What pulls Gandalf down into the abyss with the Balrog?
(a) The Balrog's chain.
(b) The Balrog's claw.
(c) The Balrog's whip.
(d) A menacing troll.
7. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
(a) They show the hobbits a hall made of trees.
(b) They cast an enchantment of safety over them.
(c) They offer an escort to get them to their destination.
(d) They give them weapons to fight the dark riders with.
8. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He is not at all surprised.
(b) He seems angry.
(c) He knows Frodo's name.
(d) He tries to take the ring by force.
9. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
(a) They have run out of food.
(b) Sam is very sick after sampling some of Goldberry's wine.
(c) Merry is still suffering from the injury he received from the Willow.
(d) It is raining too hard for them to leave.
10. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
11. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) Shadowfax, the horse.
(b) A place in the king's counsel.
(c) A robe of lovely white silk.
(d) A promise to unite with Gondor.
12. Why does Aragorn decide to travel on boats down the river when they leave Lothlorien?
(a) They can move faster in the water.
(b) Orcs cannot follow tracks of a boat in water.
(c) He saw them traveling this way in Galadriel's mirror.
(d) He has not decided which side of the river he wants to travel on.
13. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
(a) Saruman the White.
(b) Merry and Pippin.
(c) Gandalf the White.
14. What does Wormtongue throw down at Gandalf during the parley with Saruman?
(a) Burning limbs.
(c) Orc corpses.
(d) A round stone.
15. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
(a) He is estranged from his father, and ran there for sanctuary.
(b) He wants to prove his valor as a future king of Gondor.
(c) He and his brother had a dream about the sword of Isildur.
(d) His kingdom is failing, and he needs power.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
2. Who is the first to offer to take the ring to be destroyed, but is refused?
3. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
4. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
5. Where do Merry and Pippin run when they are freed of their ropes as the Rohirram begin attacking the Orcs?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)