|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wormtongue throw down at Gandalf during the parley with Saruman?
(a) Burning limbs.
(c) A round stone.
(d) Orc corpses.
2. How is Saruman a traitor to Sauran?
(a) He is preparing an army with the power of Mordor to attack Mordor.
(b) He plans to take the ring for himself.
(c) He is trying to create a ring more pwerful that the One Ring.
(d) He plans to fight with Aragorn against Sauran.
3. What does Frodo see crawling to his friends when he awakes in the burrow?
(a) An arm.
(b) An old hag.
(c) An angry tree root.
4. What is surprising about the orcs that attacked the fellowship at the seat of Amon Lhaw?
(a) They were too easy to kill.
(b) They attacked in daylight.
(c) They were not prepared well for battle, but were sent in large numbers.
(d) They are not from Mordor.
5. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
(a) The abyss of the earth.
(b) The tower of Orthnac.
(c) Towards the path to Mordor.
(d) The Main turret castle of Isengard.
6. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Sings a tribute for Balin.
(b) Gives him a gift.
(c) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
(d) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
7. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
(a) Speaking to the bartender of the Prancing Pony.
(b) Singing and dancing on a table.
(c) Rushing to tell Pippen to be quiet.
(d) Trying to hide from Strider.
8. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
(a) Orc spies.
(b) Protection from the elves.
(c) A crocadilly.
9. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
(a) They offer an escort to get them to their destination.
(b) They give them weapons to fight the dark riders with.
(c) They show the hobbits a hall made of trees.
(d) They cast an enchantment of safety over them.
10. How long had Frodo been unconscious when he wakes up in Rivendell?
(a) 4 months and 3 weeks.
(b) 4 nights and 3 days.
(c) 3 weeks and 4 days.
(d) 3 days and 4 nights.
11. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
(a) His staff.
(b) His voice.
(c) His mind.
(d) His eyes.
12. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
(a) He is a man poisoned by greed and blind to evil.
(b) He is the enemy of nature.
(c) He has a mind of metal and wheels.
(d) He was once a gracious man.
13. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
14. What is Tom symbolic of?
(c) The Earth.
15. What does Aragorn hear while at the seat of Amon Lhaw that sends him running in the other direction?
(a) The call of the orcs.
(b) Boramir's horn.
(c) A Nazgul laughing and screeching.
(d) Merry and Pippen screaming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who destroyed Isengard?
2. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Strider say is the cost of his information when Frodo questions him in the Prancing Pony?
4. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
5. How is Gandalf allowed to keep his staff when entering Theodyn's hall?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)