|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the knife that stabbed Frodo when Aragorn picks it up?
(a) It cuts his finger.
(b) It becomes freezing cold.
(c) It becomes hot and burns him.
(d) It disintegrates.
2. What do the elves do to protect the hobbits when they find them wandering in the woods?
(a) They cast an enchantment of safety over them.
(b) They show the hobbits a hall made of trees.
(c) They give them weapons to fight the dark riders with.
(d) They offer an escort to get them to their destination.
3. Why does Frodo choose to continue his journey alone?
(a) He knows that the Ring poses too much danger to his friends.
(b) He wants the ring for himself.
(c) He saw himself travelling alone in Galadriel's mirror.
(d) He is afraid of Boramir.
4. How long did the companions spend in Lothlorien before continuing their journey?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) 3 days.
5. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) 3 Dwarves.
(b) A camp of elves.
(c) A warm hearted ranger.
(d) A brown Wizard.
6. What do the hobbits wake to after taking a nap in the Burrow Downs?
(a) They are being followed by many tiny creatures.
(b) They are sinking in a mud pit.
(c) Their baggage has been stolen.
(d) They are in the middle of a deep fog.
7. How does Fatty escape from the Black Riders when they come to the shire to find Frodo?
(a) He runs to the Gaffer's house and hide behind the barrells of ale.
(b) He holds his breath and pretends to be dead.
(c) He escapes out a back door.
(d) He lies to them and sends them in the opposite direction.
8. What sends 3 of the 5 Black Riders away as Frodo and Glorfindel are rushing to Rivendell?
(a) The river.
(c) A dragon.
(d) An elven spell.
9. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
(a) A sword.
(b) A word.
(c) His Staff.
(d) His hands.
10. How old was Bilbo turning at his big birthday party at the beginning of the book?
11. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
(a) Merry is still suffering from the injury he received from the Willow.
(b) It is raining too hard for them to leave.
(c) Sam is very sick after sampling some of Goldberry's wine.
(d) They have run out of food.
12. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Gives him a gift.
(b) Sings a tribute for Balin.
(c) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
(d) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
13. Who is conspicuously absent from the feast at Rivendell after Frodo wakes up?
14. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
(a) Blasting fire.
(b) Spells of Saruman.
(d) Spring loaded weapons.
15. How long does the Entmoot last before they decide to attack Isengard?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 3 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Black Riders look like when Frodo is wearing the Ring?
2. What does Frodo see crawling to his friends when he awakes in the burrow?
3. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
4. What news does Legolas share during the council of the ring that is upsetting to Gandalf?
5. How does Treebeard describe Saruman when he takes Merry and Pippin to his home?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)