|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
(a) The entire Shire.
(b) Half the jewels of Moria.
(c) A star.
(d) The Ring itself.
2. Who does the monster in the water outside the doors of Moria attack first?
3. What does Gimli promise to do for Legolas as they ride through the forest towards Isengard?
(a) Take him on a tour of his home caves.
(b) Be a life-long friend.
(c) Die by his side in battle if necessary.
(d) Share the spoils of the next victory.
4. What does Frodo do when he sees his friends in danger in the Barrow?
(a) He uses the elven sword to fight for them.
(b) He is paralyzed in fear and passes out.
(c) He sings a call for Tom.
(d) He runs around blindly trying to save them.
5. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(b) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(c) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
(d) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
6. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
(a) Some food.
(b) Some weapons.
(c) A map.
(d) An intricate piece of jewelery.
7. Why are the hobbits not able to leave Tom's house the morning after Tom finds and takes them in?
(a) They have run out of food.
(b) It is raining too hard for them to leave.
(c) Merry is still suffering from the injury he received from the Willow.
(d) Sam is very sick after sampling some of Goldberry's wine.
8. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Sell his house for a profit.
(b) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
(c) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
(d) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
9. How does Frodo escape when Boramir tries to steal the Ring from him?
(a) He puts on the ring and vanishes from sight.
(b) He runs and hides with his elven cloak.
(c) He promises to give it to Boramir when they reach Mordor.
(d) He begins to cry, and Boramir feels instant remorse.
10. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
(a) Build mounds for the dead and stack orc corpses.
(b) Enlist in the Rohan army.
(c) Pay half of their harvest as a payment for the lands ruined in the battle.
(d) Become a territory of Rohan.
11. What is Tom symbolic of?
(a) The Earth.
12. Who does Gandalf arrange for Bilbo to travel with after his big birthday party?
(a) A brown Wizard.
(b) 3 Dwarves.
(c) A warm hearted ranger.
(d) A camp of elves.
13. What does Aragorn choose to do when he sees that Frodo and Sam have taken one of the boats?
(a) Ask the Lorien elves for advice.
(b) Try to catch up with them.
(c) Find and rescue Merry and Pippen.
(d) Send half the party after Merry and Pippen, and the other half after Frodo.
14. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(b) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(c) The Withywindle River.
(d) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
15. What does Aragorn hear while at the seat of Amon Lhaw that sends him running in the other direction?
(a) Boramir's horn.
(b) The call of the orcs.
(c) A Nazgul laughing and screeching.
(d) Merry and Pippen screaming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Galadriel's gift to Sam?
2. Where did Saruman run when Isengard was being attacked?
3. What mysterious force are the orcs using to make holes in the walls of the fortress?
4. What is Frodo doing when he accidentally puts on the Ring and vanishes from sight?
5. What is so different about the Old forest?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)