|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Galadriel's gift to Sam?
(a) A silver belt.
(b) 3 strands of her hair.
(c) A golden sheath for his sword.
(d) A box of earth from her garden.
2. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
(c) A mysterious elf.
(d) A Balrog.
3. What does Wormtongue throw down at Gandalf during the parley with Saruman?
(a) Orc corpses.
(b) Burning limbs.
(d) A round stone.
4. What about Saruman is able to convince men to do his will?
(a) His mind.
(b) His staff.
(c) His voice.
(d) His eyes.
5. What sends 3 of the 5 Black Riders away as Frodo and Glorfindel are rushing to Rivendell?
(a) A dragon.
(c) The river.
(d) An elven spell.
6. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Gives him a gift.
(b) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
(c) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
(d) Sings a tribute for Balin.
7. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
(a) Saruman the White.
(c) Gandalf the White.
(d) Merry and Pippin.
8. What are the Dunlendings forced to do as punishment for joining the attack on Rohan?
(a) Become a territory of Rohan.
(b) Build mounds for the dead and stack orc corpses.
(c) Enlist in the Rohan army.
(d) Pay half of their harvest as a payment for the lands ruined in the battle.
9. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
(a) He knows Frodo's name.
(b) He is not at all surprised.
(c) He seems angry.
(d) He tries to take the ring by force.
10. What are the last words written in the history book that Gandalf finds in the tomb of Balin?
(a) "They are coming."
(b) "There were drums, drums."
(c) "Fear enfolds us and pushes us on."
(d) "There is no escape here in the deep."
11. What did the Black rider offer Farmer Maggot for information about Baggins?
12. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) The Black Nights killing his father.
(b) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
(c) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
(d) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
13. What does Gimli say that Frodo's mithril shirt is worth more than?
(a) A star.
(b) The Ring itself.
(c) The entire Shire.
(d) Half the jewels of Moria.
14. What does Fatty plan to do when Frodo has left the shire?
(a) Sell his house for a profit.
(b) Follow a day's length behind them to ward off any coming danger.
(c) Take over his farm and grow rich off the proceeds.
(d) Live in Frodo's house and keep Frodo's absence a secret.
15. What causes Galadriel to refuse the Ring when Frodo offers to give it to her?
(a) She already has one of the rings, and knows she cannot control the power of two.
(b) She fears her husband would kill her to gain the Ring for himself.
(c) She has seen a vision of Frodo destroying the ring himself.
(d) She sees what the future would be like if she did.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frodo decide to go with the ring after being hounded by Gandalf to leave the Shire?
2. What attacks the fellowship the night before they plan to head to Moria?
3. What does Aragorn hear while at the seat of Amon Lhaw that sends him running in the other direction?
4. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
5. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)