|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was imprisoned with Saruman after Isengard was detroyed?
(a) A watchguard of elves.
(b) The head Orc.
(d) A traitor Rohan Rider.
2. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
(a) The Black Nights killing his father.
(b) Ted Sandyman cutting down all the trees in the Shire.
(c) Rosy getting married to Fatty.
(d) A pile of burnt rubble where his town used to be.
3. What does Galadriel do when she meets Gimli that makes him so happy?
(a) Sings a tribute for Balin.
(b) Gives him a gift.
(c) Speaks to the party of all the greatness of the dwarves.
(d) Speaks to him in the dwarvish tongue.
4. What is found on the ground during the fellowship's journey that lets them know that Merry and Pippen are still alive?
(a) A brooch from their elven cloaks.
(c) A piece of their clothing.
(d) A pile of kambas bread.
5. What did Merry do to several orcs without any of them trying to hurt him and Pippin?
(a) Praised Boramir.
(b) Insulted them.
(c) Cut off their hands.
(d) Threw stones at them.
6. Why does Frodo have to save Sam before he can head out alone?
(a) Sam is his best friend.
(b) Sam is drowning.
(c) He is afraid to be alone.
(d) He knows that he can trust Sam to not try to take the Ring.
7. What does Gandalf do when he is rebuked by Theodyn as they enter his hall?
(a) He heals the king.
(b) He rebukes him right back.
(c) He smites Wormtongue.
(d) He bows down in respect.
8. Why are the hobbits not able to leave as early as they had planned the morning after their stay at the Prancing Pony?
(a) Merry is still unconscious from his run-in with a Black Rider.
(b) Their ponies have been stolen.
(c) They are trying to hide from Bill Ferny.
(d) Pippen is hungover from drinking.
9. Who saves Eomer from the orc pretending to be dead?
10. What is Treebeard's motto?
(a) The good will cherish nature.
(b) Thinking takes time.
(c) Trust the small and hate the large.
(d) Do not be hasty.
11. Who destroyed Isengard?
(a) The army of Mordor.
(b) The army of Rohan.
(c) The Ents.
(d) The orcs.
12. What is the 'log with eyes' that Sam sees one night while traveling down the river away from Lothlorien?
(a) A crocadilly.
(b) Orc spies.
(d) Protection from the elves.
13. What is so different about the Old forest?
(a) The trees talk to the people who journey through it.
(b) The trees house evil spirits.
(c) The trees are alive and aware of who enters.
(d) The trees are all dead.
14. What does Aragorn hear while at the seat of Amon Lhaw that sends him running in the other direction?
(a) The call of the orcs.
(b) Merry and Pippen screaming.
(c) A Nazgul laughing and screeching.
(d) Boramir's horn.
15. Why did Boramir come to Rivendell to find out about the ring?
(a) He wants to prove his valor as a future king of Gondor.
(b) He is estranged from his father, and ran there for sanctuary.
(c) He and his brother had a dream about the sword of Isildur.
(d) His kingdom is failing, and he needs power.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aragor find in Fangorn forest when they follow the tracks of Merry and Pippin?
2. What does Pippin use to cut the ropes he and Merry are bound with?
3. As they are forming the fellowship, what does Gandalf say will often suceed when bravery will not?
4. What does Frodo find that the elves left for him the first morning of his journey with the ring? ?
5. What reaction does Strider have to Frodo's accidental disappearance that is suspicious to Sam?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)