|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Chapter 8 | Book 4, Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who won the Orc-killing game during the battle against Rohan?
2. What gift from Theoden does Gandalf gladly accept?
(a) A promise to unite with Gondor.
(b) A place in the king's counsel.
(c) Shadowfax, the horse.
(d) A robe of lovely white silk.
3. What has caused the oddities of the Old forest?
(a) The strong imagination of the hobbits.
(b) The spells cast on it by wizards.
(c) The evil spirits who inhabit the trees.
(d) The Withywindle River.
4. Who does Frodo see climbing the tree they are sleeping in at Lothlorien?
(b) A Balrog.
(d) A mysterious elf.
5. How does Merry respond when he hears of what the other hobbits have experienced before meeting him?
(a) He is happy to have avoided harm.
(b) He is disappointed about missing the action.
(c) He is excited to show his bravery during the next trial they will face.
(d) He is afraid that there may be more danger involved now that he has joined them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom symbolic of?
2. What ties Gollum so strongly to Frodo while he has the Ring?
3. How much time passes between the first and second chapters of the book?
4. What does Sam see in Galadriel's mirror that makes him beg to return to the Shire?
5. What does Gandalf use to break Saruman's staff?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)