* The story begins with Bilbo Baggins and his upcoming one hundred eleventh-birthday party. Bilbo has not aged at all in 61 years, and many people notice and wonder about this.
* Gandalf the wizard arrives, much to the excitement of the hobbits in The Shire. This is because he is carrying a cartload of fireworks for the party.
* Bilbo makes a speech thanking everyone for coming, almost immediately followed by the announcement that he is leaving. Then, there is a sudden flash of light, and Bilbo disappears.
* After Bilbo's vanishing act, Gandalf meets Bilbo back at his home. Bilbo is preparing to leave, and, as he does, Gandalf reminds him to leave the ring to Frodo.
* Frodo arrives at Bilbo's house too late to say goodbye, and Gandalf tells Frodo that Bilbo left his ring for him, in addition to his house and all...
This section contains 6,675 words
(approx. 23 pages at 300 words per page)