|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word “propitiate” mean, as used in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
2. How many feet down does Piggy fall when he is hit by the rock in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
3. What does Ralph tell Piggy is “the only thing to do” in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
4. Who stops Roger as he approaches the Castle Rock, saying “Halt! Who goes there?” in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
5. What does Simon discover “the beast” to actually be in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ralph and his companions decide to do about the fire in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
2. What happens when one of the hunters spots a pig in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
3. What argument ensues between Ralph and his companions regarding the fire in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
4. What confrontation takes place between Jack and Ralph in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
5. What is illustrated by the fact that many of the boys begin to disappear from Ralph’s camp in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
6. How do the actions of Jack’s tribe debilitate Ralph’s tribe in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
7. How does Piggy die in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”? Who is responsible for his death?
8. How is the death of Simon perceived by the boys in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”? What does this indicate about their characters?
9. Where does Ralph sleep before “the hunt” in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”? What awakens him?
10. What does Jack announce at the meeting in the beginning of Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting as established in the first chapter of the novel. Where are the boys stranded? What is the time period of the story? What clues does the author give for the location of the island in the first chapter? What role does the setting of the story play in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Castle Rock in Chapter 6. How tall is the cliff that is described? How must Ralph and Jack go about accessing the area? How dangerous is this setting? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the character of Simon in the novel. How old is Simon? Is he considered to be one of the older boys on the island or one of the “littluns”? What sets Simon apart from the other characters? What physical ailment does Simon appear to suffer from?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)