|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that the boys need a drum after the pig-killing ritual in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
2. What does the word “propitiate” mean, as used in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
3. The narrator states in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness,” “The greatest ideas are the” what?
4. What is Jack described as wearing at his waist in the end of Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”?
5. What suggestion does Simon make when he takes the shell at the meeting in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented by the behavior of the boys during the ritualistic dance in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
2. What argument ensues between Ralph and his companions regarding the fire in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
3. What is illustrated by the fact that many of the boys begin to disappear from Ralph’s camp in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
4. What does Jack announce at the meeting in the beginning of Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
5. What does Simon discover while he is alone in the forest in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
6. What conflicts arise when Jack arrives at the fort in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
7. What is represented metaphorically through the killing of the sow in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
8. Where does Ralph sleep before “the hunt” in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”? What awakens him?
9. What suggestions do Piggy and Simon make following the meeting in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
10. Why does Ralph begin running for the beach and shelters in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of Lord of the Flies. Historical context refers to the situations and events during the time in which a piece of literature was written. What global and national events were taking place in 1954, when Golding’s novel was published? How does the novel reflect these events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative point of view of Lord of the Flies. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person perspective? Is the narrator’s point of view limited or omniscient? Is the story told in the present or past tense? What effect do these choices of the author’s have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the outbreak of the forest fire in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” and the disappearance of the boy with the maroon birthmark. What is implied to have happened to the boy? Would this have happened if the others had heeded Piggy’s advice? Why or why not?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)