|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in addition to Piggy, tries to convince Ralph not to give up his position as chief at the end of Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
2. What color hair is Simon said to have in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
3. Who does Ralph say will be guarding the fire that night during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
4. As the big boys set out to hunt down the beast in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” the narrator states, “This day promised, like the others, to be a sunbath under” what?
5. During Piggy’s speech at the podium during the assembly he declares that “Life is” what, in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the system of discipline on the island in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”? What effects can you see from this system?
2. What is an example from Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” that illustrates Piggy’s position within the group?
3. What characteristics serve to develop the conflict between Ralph and Jack in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
4. What is discussed as the “main point” of the meeting in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
5. What does the conch shell come to represent symbolically in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”? Why?
6. How would you describe the tone and mood in the beginning of Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
7. How do the positions of authority and leadership begin to evolve in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
8. Why does Ralph allow Jack to take the lead in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”? What consequences does this have?
9. How does Piggy contribute at the meeting in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
10. How is the character of Simon described in the novel? What physical condition does Simon suffer from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Jack Merridew in the novel. How old are the choir boys that are on the island? What was Jack’s role within the choir? How do the characters of Jack and Ralph get along in the beginning of the story? What potential conflicts are established in the first chapters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Ralph as the protagonist of Lord of the Flies. How old is Ralph? What does the reader know about his character based on the dialogue and exposition in Chapter 1? What elements of Ralph’s character indicate he will be the protagonist of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ralph’s decision to go to Jack’s camp in Chapter 9. Why do Ralph and Piggy decide to go have meat at Jack’s feast? What happens when they arrive? How does Jack treat them? How does Ralph respond when Jack tries to talk the others into joining his tribe?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)