|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph wheels on the hunters during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water” and says “You can laugh! But I tell you the smoke is more important than” what?
2. What word used in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair” refers to a warlike or aggressively hostile nature or attitude?
3. What weapons have Jack and the choir boys devised for hunting game on the island in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
4. The author uses the following sentence in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”: “The flames, as though they were a kind of wild life, crept as a jaguar creeps on its belly toward a line of birch-like saplings that fledged an outcrop of the pink rock.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
5. Who suggests at the impromptu meeting in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” “Couldn’t we—kind of—stay here? Maybe the beast won’t come near us”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Ralph’s feelings about Piggy begun to change in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
2. Why does Ralph confront Jack in the beginning of Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”? How does Jack respond?
3. How do the majority of the boys spend their time in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
4. How would you describe the exploration of the boys in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
5. How is Piggy perceived by the other members of the group in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”? Why?
6. What is an example from Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” that illustrates Piggy’s position within the group?
7. How do the positions of authority and leadership begin to evolve in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
8. What events have led to the boys’ arrival on the island in Lord of the Flies?
9. Who are the first characters introduced in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”? How are they described?
10. What does the conch shell come to represent symbolically in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of Lord of the Flies. Historical context refers to the situations and events during the time in which a piece of literature was written. What global and national events were taking place in 1954, when Golding’s novel was published? How does the novel reflect these events?
Essay Topic 2
What does the conch shell symbolize in Lord of the Flies? How does the symbolism of this object change in the course of the story? What happens to the conch shell? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the leadership qualities of Ralph and Jack in the novel. Why does Jack decide to leave Ralph’s group? What happens when he makes this announcement? What will happen to Ralph’s group without the hunters?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)