|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the big boys set out to hunt down the beast in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” the narrator states, “This day promised, like the others, to be a sunbath under” what?
2. Which “littlun” is unaccounted for at the end of Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
3. The “half-cave” that Ralph and Jack encounter while looking for the beast is said to contain “nothing more terrible than a clutch of” what, in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
4. Who slaps Johnny when he bursts into tears during the impromptu meeting the morning after the beast has been spotted in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
5. What color eyes is Jack said to have in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an example from Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” that illustrates Piggy’s position within the group?
2. How do the positions of authority and leadership begin to evolve in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
3. How would you describe the tone and mood in the beginning of Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
4. How do the majority of the boys spend their time in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
5. What characteristics serve to develop the conflict between Ralph and Jack in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
6. What is foreshadowed at the vote for the leader at the meeting in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”? Who is chosen?
7. Why does Ralph confront Jack in the beginning of Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”? How does Jack respond?
8. Why does Ralph allow Jack to take the lead in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”? What consequences does this have?
9. What events lead up to the panic of Sam and Eric in the beginning of Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
10. What does the conch shell come to represent symbolically in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative point of view of Lord of the Flies. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person perspective? Is the narrator’s point of view limited or omniscient? Is the story told in the present or past tense? What effect do these choices of the author’s have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What does the conch shell symbolize in Lord of the Flies? How does the symbolism of this object change in the course of the story? What happens to the conch shell? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the destruction of Piggy’s glasses in Chapter 4. How do the spectacles get broken? How do the other boys respond to this violence? What does this suggest about the growing lack of discipline among these boys? What does this say about Ralph’s ability to lead?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)