|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack ask Ralph for when he arrives at the camp in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
2. Where are the boys in Lord of the Flies from originally?
3. What color are the pig droppings that Jack finds in the forest in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
4. What is the name of the littlun that first steps forward to talk about the beast during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
5. The members of the choir have adjusted their choir hats to resemble what, in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the positions of authority and leadership begin to evolve in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
2. How does the dead signal fire develop conflict in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
3. How do the majority of the boys spend their time in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
4. How are the relationships between the older and younger boys illustrated in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
5. What is an example from Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” that illustrates Piggy’s position within the group?
6. How is the character of Simon described in the novel? What physical condition does Simon suffer from?
7. Why does Jack begin wearing face paint in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
8. What events have led to the boys’ arrival on the island in Lord of the Flies?
9. What element of fear and suspense is introduced during the meeting in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”
10. Why does Ralph confront Jack in the beginning of Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”? How does Jack respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the leadership qualities of Ralph and Jack in the novel. Why does Jack decide to leave Ralph’s group? What happens when he makes this announcement? What will happen to Ralph’s group without the hunters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Piggy in Lord of the Flies. Approximately how old is Piggy? What personality characteristics stand out upon his introduction? What does Ralph think of Piggy when they first meet? How does Piggy change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting as established in the first chapter of the novel. Where are the boys stranded? What is the time period of the story? What clues does the author give for the location of the island in the first chapter? What role does the setting of the story play in the plot?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)