|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jack tells his hunters at the meeting in the beginning of Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness” that Ralph said they are all what?
2. How many of the boys raise their hands when Jack demands of them, “Who thinks Ralph oughtn’t to be chief?” in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
3. In the ending of Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters,” the narrator notes that when the children all begin weeping, “The officer, surrounded by these noises, was moved and a little” what?
4. How many feet down does Piggy fall when he is hit by the rock in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
(a) 40 feet.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 30 feet.
(d) 20 feet.
5. Who says that the boys can’t go start a fire on the mountain because they don’t have the spectacles in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Simon seemingly suffer from in Lord of the Flies?
2. Which of the boys is killed during the ritual in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
3. What word does Jack use in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness” that refers to a person appointed to a position of command or authority?
4. Ralph says to the boys in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock” that when they approach Jack’s camp “we won’t be painted because we aren’t” what?
5. What word used Chapter 9: “A View to a Death” means crazy or insane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ralph go to Jack’s fort in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”? What does he encounter when he arrives?
2. How does Jack differ from Ralph as a leader, as seen in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
3. What is ironic about the denouement of Lord of the Flies?
4. Why does Ralph begin running for the beach and shelters in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”?
5. What is represented by the behavior of the boys during the ritualistic dance in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
6. What conflicts arise when Jack arrives at the fort in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
7. How does the conflict escalate between Jack and Ralph in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”? Why?
8. What is symbolized by the destruction of the conch shell in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
9. What is Ralph doing in the beginning of Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”? What news does he learn from the twins?
10. What does Simon discover while he is alone in the forest in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)