|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The word “leviathan” that is used in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air” refers to what?
(a) A sea monster.
(b) A political organization.
(c) A spaceship.
(d) A hawk.
2. What word from Chapter 5: “Beast from Water” refers to a contortion of the body caused by violent, involuntary muscular contractions?
3. How old does Ralph say he was when his father taught him to swim in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
4. One of the twins asks the other if he remembers what character from school in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
(a) “Old Waxy.”
(b) “Old Wizard.”
(c) “Old Potters.”
(d) “Old Gremlin.”
5. Who performs clownishly at the assembly in order to make the littluns stop wailing in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the rules that Ralph establishes at the meeting in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” is that no one may speak at the meetings unless he is holding what?
2. Where are the boys in Lord of the Flies from originally?
3. Ralph lies in the shelter dreaming of feeding what farm animals when Sam and Eric arrive in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
4. What word used in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach” refers to a downward slope of ground?
5. What are the names of the twins that appear on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the exploration of the boys in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
2. What events have led to the boys’ arrival on the island in Lord of the Flies?
3. How do the majority of the boys spend their time in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
4. What element of fear and suspense is introduced during the meeting in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”
5. Why do you think Piggy’s statements during the meeting are largely ignored in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
6. What is found at the castle rock in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”? Where do the boys go next?
7. What leads to the impromptu meeting in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”? What decision is made at the meeting?
8. What can be interpreted by Jack’s behavior toward Piggy in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
9. Why does Ralph allow Jack to take the lead in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”? What consequences does this have?
10. What events lead up to the panic of Sam and Eric in the beginning of Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)