|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy with the birthmark first call “the beastie” in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
(a) “The bear-thing.”
(b) “The wolf-thing.”
(c) “The snake-thing.”
(d) “The bird-thing.”
2. What are the names of the twins that appear on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
(a) Sam and Eric.
(b) Percival and Maurice.
(c) Roger and Robert.
(d) Simon and Johnny.
3. Which of the boys comes up to Ralph at the castle to ask in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” “Why can’t we stay here for a bit?”
4. From what perspective is the narrative of Lord of the Flies related?
(a) Second person.
(b) Fourth person.
(c) Third person.
(d) First person.
5. Who slaps Johnny when he bursts into tears during the impromptu meeting the morning after the beast has been spotted in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the older boys leads the way through the sand castles, kicking them over and laughing, in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
2. Which of the littluns does Roger follow to the beach and begin throwing stones at in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
3. Who suggests that the boys hold a vote for the chief in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
4. One of the rules that Ralph establishes at the meeting in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” is that no one may speak at the meetings unless he is holding what?
5. Who suggests at the impromptu meeting in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” “Couldn’t we—kind of—stay here? Maybe the beast won’t come near us”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Jack’s and Ralph’s experiences differed during the first days on the island, as seen in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
2. Why does Jack begin wearing face paint in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
3. Why do you think Piggy’s statements during the meeting are largely ignored in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
4. How do the positions of authority and leadership begin to evolve in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
5. How is the character of Simon described in the novel? What physical condition does Simon suffer from?
6. What is an example from Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” that illustrates Piggy’s position within the group?
7. How do the majority of the boys spend their time in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
8. What events have led to the boys’ arrival on the island in Lord of the Flies?
9. Why does Ralph confront Jack in the beginning of Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”? How does Jack respond?
10. What is discussed as the “main point” of the meeting in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)