|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word used in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach” refers to the individual leaves or parts of the calyx of a flower?
2. As Simon attempts to speak during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water,” the narrator states, “Simon became inarticulate in his effort to express mankind’s essential” what?
3. Who suggests the boys use Piggy’s glasses to start the fire in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
4. The members of the choir have adjusted their choir hats to resemble what, in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
(b) Cowboy hats.
(d) Wizard hats.
5. What word, used to describe Ralph’s feelings about the shell in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water,” refers to a feeling of deep respect tinged with awe?
Short Answer Questions
1. What British slang word is used throughout the narrative to mean excellent or wonderful?
2. What is Percival’s full name that he states in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
3. What are the boys from the choir wearing when they arrive on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
4. What color are the pig droppings that Jack finds in the forest in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
5. What word from Chapter 5: “Beast from Water” refers to a contortion of the body caused by violent, involuntary muscular contractions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the relationships between the older and younger boys illustrated in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
2. How do the positions of authority and leadership begin to evolve in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
3. What element of fear and suspense is introduced during the meeting in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”
4. What events lead up to the panic of Sam and Eric in the beginning of Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
5. Why do you think Piggy’s statements during the meeting are largely ignored in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
6. What is discussed at the meeting in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”? How do the boys feel about their situation?
7. Who are the first characters introduced in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”? How are they described?
8. What is discussed as the “main point” of the meeting in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
9. What is an example from Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” that illustrates Piggy’s position within the group?
10. How is the character of Simon described in the novel? What physical condition does Simon suffer from?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)