|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Jack as he disembowels the pig, “How can we make a fire?” in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
2. What does Simon say when he first speaks aloud in the jungle in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
(a) “What else is there to do?”
(b) “Why can’t I get home?”
(c) “Where are Jack and the others?”
(d) “Where is the Lord of the Flies?”
3. What ailment does Simon seemingly suffer from in Lord of the Flies?
4. What word from Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses” means to make gestures in an excited manner?
5. Piggy suggests to the boys that they rebuild the fire where, in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
(a) On the mountain.
(b) At the Castle Rock.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In the forest.
6. What part of his body gives Simon frequent pain as he makes his way through the jungle in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
(a) His leg.
(b) His arm.
(c) His tongue.
(d) His back.
7. When Ralph and Piggy arrive at the feast in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death,” which of the boys, “thinking that Ralph had turned to him accusingly, put down his gnawed bone with a nervous giggle”?
8. When Ralph looks back to Castle Rock from the forest in the beginning of Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters,” who does he see “sitting on guard at the top of the cliff” with “a spear in his left hand and tossing up a pebble and catching it again with the right”?
9. What does the imagery surrounding the vast sea symbolize in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
(a) Ralph’s mother.
(b) Brotherly love.
10. The narrator states in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness,” “The greatest ideas are the” what?
(a) “Most derisive.”
(c) “Most complex.”
11. What does Simon discover “the beast” to actually be in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
(a) A severed pig’s head impaled on a stick.
(b) A dead water buffalo.
(c) A dead pilot attached to a parachute.
(d) A part of a plane engine.
12. What word is used in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses” to mean pertaining to the study of religious truth or divinity?
13. Who does Jack order his tribe to capture and tie up in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
(a) Henry and Roger.
(b) Percival and Bill.
(c) Sam and Eric.
(d) Piggy and Ralph.
14. Jack tells his hunters at the meeting in the beginning of Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness” that Ralph said they are all what?
15. What does the word “myopia” mean, as used in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the boys is killed during the ritual in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
2. Who lights the new fire in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
3. Piggy asks the crowd of boys during the showdown in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock,” “Which is better—to have rules and agree, or” what?
4. Who stops Roger as he approaches the Castle Rock, saying “Halt! Who goes there?” in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
5. As Ralph’s remaining tribe heads toward Jack’s fortress in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock,” the narrator says, “Behind [Ralph] came the twins, worried now for a while but full of” what?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)