|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sam and Eric tell Ralph in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters” that Jack and who plant to hunt him tomorrow?
2. In Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses,” Ralph claims that what happened during the ritual was murder. What does Piggy desperately claim it was instead?
(b) A religious act.
(c) An accident.
(d) A sign of power.
3. Who suggests that the boys need a drum after the pig-killing ritual in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
4. The narrator states in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness,” “The greatest ideas are the” what?
(c) “Most derisive.”
(d) “Most complex.”
5. Who asks Jack in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses,” “What’ll we use for lighting the fire”?
6. What does Jack say “doesn’t count at this end of the island” in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
(a) “The torch.”
(b) “The conch.”
(c) “The stone.”
(d) “The king.”
7. What does the officer say drew his crew to the island in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”?
(a) The smoke from the fire.
(b) The sound of gunfire.
(c) The sight of the airplane wreckage.
(d) The sounds of screaming.
8. Who obeys when Jack orders “Give me a drink” after he’s eaten at the feast in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
9. As Ralph drifts to sleep in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses,” he imagines to himself, “Supposing they could be transported home by jet, then before morning they would land at that big airfield” where?
(a) “In London.”
(b) “In Wiltshire.”
(c) “In New York.”
(d) “In Manchester.”
10. By what name does Ralph refer to Jack’s followers in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
(a) “The Reds.”
(b) “The Pig-killers.”
(c) “The Painteds.”
(d) “The Blues.”
11. What does Simon whisper to Ralph as Ralph sits engulfed in staring at the sea in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
(a) “Don’t worry. Jack won’t kill you.”
(b) “You’ll get back to where you came from.”
(c) “I’m sure that your father is out there somewhere.”
(d) “I’ve seen the Lord of the Flies.”
12. Who portrays the pig in the ritual dance after the feast in Chapter 9: “A View to a Death”?
13. What does Ralph find in the forest to use as a weapon in Chapter 12: “Cry of the Hunters”?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A metal bear-trap.
(c) A stick that is pointed on two ends.
(d) A parachute.
14. As Ralph’s remaining tribe heads toward Jack’s fortress in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock,” the narrator says, “Behind [Ralph] came the twins, worried now for a while but full of” what?
(a) “Love for their leader.”
(b) “Vitriol and violence.”
(c) “Obvious curiosity.”
(d) “Unquenchable vitality.”
15. What word is used in Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses” to mean pertaining to the study of religious truth or divinity?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many feet down does Piggy fall when he is hit by the rock in Chapter 11: “Castle Rock”?
2. Who cuts the sow’s neck with a knife in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
3. What does the imagery surrounding the vast sea symbolize in Chapter 7: “Shadows and Tall Trees”?
4. How many of the boys raise their hands when Jack demands of them, “Who thinks Ralph oughtn’t to be chief?” in Chapter 8: “Gift for the Darkness”?
5. What does Piggy say Sam and Eric are doing when Ralph arrives at the camp in the beginning of Chapter 10: “The Shell and the Glasses”?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)