|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which “littlun” is unaccounted for at the end of Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
(a) The boy with the wheelchair.
(b) The boy with the birthmark.
(d) The boy with the glasses.
2. The narrator says in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair,” “At midday the illusions merged into the sky and there the sun gazed down like” what?
(a) “A parent’s eye.”
(b) “A loving overlord.”
(c) “An angry eye.”
(d) “A great bird.”
3. Who performs clownishly at the assembly in order to make the littluns stop wailing in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
4. What word from Chapter 5: “Beast from Water” refers to a contortion of the body caused by violent, involuntary muscular contractions?
5. Who does Ralph say will be guarding the fire that night during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
(a) Sam and Eric.
(b) Maurice and Roger.
(c) Johnny and Jack.
(d) Robert and Percival.
6. One of the twins asks the other if he remembers what character from school in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
(a) “Old Gremlin.”
(b) “Old Wizard.”
(c) “Old Potters.”
(d) “Old Waxy.”
7. What are the names of the twins that appear on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
(a) Percival and Maurice.
(b) Sam and Eric.
(c) Simon and Johnny.
(d) Roger and Robert.
8. What color is Jack Merridew’s hair in the novel?
9. Who suggests at the impromptu meeting in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” “Couldn’t we—kind of—stay here? Maybe the beast won’t come near us”?
10. Ralph lies in the shelter dreaming of feeding what farm animals when Sam and Eric arrive in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
11. Where are the boys in Lord of the Flies from originally?
(a) The United States.
12. Which of the littluns has been left “in triumphant possession of the castles” after the others have run off in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
13. What weapons have Jack and the choir boys devised for hunting game on the island in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
(d) Bows and arrows.
14. When Jack suggests that “the castle” would make an excellent fort in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” this is an example of what literary technique?
(d) Religious allusion.
15. What is Percival’s full name that he states in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
(a) Percival Henry Waterson.
(b) Percival Wemys Madison.
(c) Percival James Anderson.
(d) Percival William Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what two characters is there a developing conflict that is foreshadowed in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
2. The members of the choir have adjusted their choir hats to resemble what, in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
3. As the big boys set out to hunt down the beast in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” the narrator states, “This day promised, like the others, to be a sunbath under” what?
4. What British slang word is used throughout the narrative to mean excellent or wonderful?
5. What does Jack ask Ralph for when he arrives at the camp in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)