|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jack arrives at the huts, Ralph says that his hunters have been back at camp hours ago and have been doing what, in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
(a) Making sand castles.
(c) Building a boat.
2. What is the name of the littlun that the narrator describes crawling into a shelter and staying there for two days, “talking, singing, and crying, till they thought him batty and were faintly amused” in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
3. What word used in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach” refers to the individual leaves or parts of the calyx of a flower?
4. What literary technique is used in the following sentence from Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”? “When the sun sank, darkness dropped on the island like an extinguisher.”
(b) Dramatic irony.
(c) Literary allusion.
5. Who picks up Percival and carries him to a shelter in the beginning of Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
(a) Jack and Roger.
(b) Robert and Henry.
(c) Piggy and Simon.
(d) Ralph and Simon.
6. Who suggests at the impromptu meeting in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air,” “Couldn’t we—kind of—stay here? Maybe the beast won’t come near us”?
7. What ocean is described as surrounding the island in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
(a) The Arctic Ocean.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
8. What does Simon hand to the littluns after they’ve followed him into the forest in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
9. What is the meaning of the word “interminable,” used in Chapter 6: “Beast from Air”?
10. Who performs clownishly at the assembly in order to make the littluns stop wailing in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
11. One of the rules that Ralph establishes at the meeting in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain” is that no one may speak at the meetings unless he is holding what?
(a) The staff.
(b) The shell.
(c) The stone.
(d) The spear.
12. What color eyes is Jack said to have in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
13. What are the names of the twins that appear on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
(a) Roger and Robert.
(b) Simon and Johnny.
(c) Sam and Eric.
(d) Percival and Maurice.
14. Which “littlun” is unaccounted for at the end of Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
(a) The boy with the wheelchair.
(b) The boy with the birthmark.
(d) The boy with the glasses.
15. Which of the older boys leads the way through the sand castles, kicking them over and laughing, in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach” refers to a downward slope of ground?
2. Which of the littluns does Roger follow to the beach and begin throwing stones at in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
3. What color is Jack Merridew’s hair in the novel?
4. When does Piggy surmise the war will be over when he speaks at the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
5. Of the three littluns that are described together playing by the sandcastles in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair,” who is described as “the biggest of them”?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)