|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between what two characters is there a developing conflict that is foreshadowed in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
(a) Simon and Maurice.
(b) Jack and Ralph.
(c) Piggy and Johnny.
(d) Henry and Maurice.
2. What weapons have Jack and the choir boys devised for hunting game on the island in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
(b) Bows and arrows.
3. The author uses the following sentence in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”: “The flames, as though they were a kind of wild life, crept as a jaguar creeps on its belly toward a line of birch-like saplings that fledged an outcrop of the pink rock.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
(d) Literary allusion.
4. How many of the boys does Ralph say built the second shelter in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
5. What British slang word is used throughout the narrative to mean excellent or wonderful?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that the boys hold a vote for the chief in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
2. When the boys are trying to figure out how to light a fire in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain,” who says, “You make a bow and spin the arrow”?
3. Which of the littluns has been left “in triumphant possession of the castles” after the others have run off in Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair”?
4. How old is Ralph said to be in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
5. The narrator says of Ralph in the beginning of Chapter 5: “Beast from Water,” “He found himself understanding the wearisomeness of this life, where every path was an improvisation and a considerable part of one’s waking life was spent watching” what?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)