|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Simon attempts to speak during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water,” the narrator states, “Simon became inarticulate in his effort to express mankind’s essential” what?
2. Between what two characters is there a developing conflict that is foreshadowed in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
(a) Henry and Maurice.
(b) Jack and Ralph.
(c) Piggy and Johnny.
(d) Simon and Maurice.
3. What color are the pig droppings that Jack finds in the forest in Chapter 3: “Huts on the Beach”?
(a) Olive green.
(b) Reddish brown.
(c) Solid black.
(d) Dark brown.
4. What kind of shell do Ralph and Piggy discover on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
(a) A slipper shell.
(b) A conch shell.
(c) A Florida auger.
(d) An alphabet cone.
5. What are the boys from the choir wearing when they arrive on the beach in Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”?
(a) High-collared uniforms.
(c) Military uniforms.
(d) Black cloaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the word “ebullience,” used in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
2. Of the boys on the island, the narrator says in the beginning of Chapter 4: “Painted Faces and Long Hair,” “They accepted the pleasures of morning, the bright sun, the whelming sea and sweet air, as a time when play was good and life so full that” what “was not necessary and therefore forgotten”?
3. When the choir assumes guardianship of the fire, what group within them is assigned fire-duty during the first week in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
4. Who does Ralph say will be guarding the fire that night during the assembly in Chapter 5: “Beast from Water”?
5. What does the boy with the birthmark first call “the beastie” in Chapter 2: “Fire on the Mountain”?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)