|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Medicine Ed said to have begun napping in the afternoons in Chapter 31?
2. From where does Medicine Ed watch Maggie in the beginning of Chapter 24?
3. Who had ridden Pelter in the race, according to the narrator in Chapter 22?
4. Why does Maggie tell Tommy she cannot move in Chapter 28?
5. What is being hosed off outside the barn as Medicine Ed watches in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of luck apply to Maggie's situation in Chapter 27?
2. What is indicated about Two-Tie's character by his death in the novel?
3. How is the theme of good and evil played out in the preparations for the fourth race?
4. What foreshadowing is related to the blue Cadillac in the novel?
5. How is Two-Tie's perspective revealed in Chapter 28?
6. What foreshadowing is revealed in Chapter 28? What does this foreshadowing suggest?
7. What is indicated by Joe Dale's actions after the third race?
8. How is the abandoned racetrack described in the novel? What does it symbolize?
9. How does Maggie feel about her luck in "Results"?
10. How is the puddle employed as symbolism in Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Maggie in the novel. What is Maggie's history? What motivates Maggie to come to the racetrack? How does Maggie's character evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the racetrack lifestyle and the lifestyle that Maggie had prior to coming to the track. How would you characterize the morals of the racetrack world? What draws these characters into this world and how does the world of horse racing change them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony in the novel. What are examples of dramatic irony in the story? How does the author employ verbal and situational irony? What purpose does each example serve?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)