|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what horse is Maggie planning to bet in the race in Chapter 34?
2. What jockey has to be carried off the track by two valets in Chapter 38?
3. How is Maggie's car described in Part I of Results?
4. What horse has Deucey decided to enter in the race in Chapter 36?
5. Who claimed Pelter after the race, according to Two-Tie in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Medicine Ed's primary concerns and conflicts after the race in Chapter 39?
2. What are Joe Dale's objectives in Chapter 29? Does he achieve those objectives?
3. How is the abandoned racetrack described in the novel? What does it symbolize?
4. What does Deucey reveal to Medicine Ed before the fourth race? Why does this information lead to inner conflict for Medicine Ed?
5. How does the theme of luck apply to Maggie's situation in Chapter 27?
6. How does the author demonstrate dramatic irony in Chapter 24?
7. What is the outcome for Medicine Ed in "Results"?
8. How does Maggie feel about her luck in "Results"?
9. What does the horse named the Lord of Misrule represent symbolically in the story?
10. What is Medicine Ed's primary objective in the fourth race? What does he stand to gain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the main horses that are the focus in Lord of Misrule. What is Maggie's favorite horse? Why? Which horse does Tommy prefer? How are the horses in the novel compared to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the plot structure of Lord of Misrule. Where in the novel do the following occur: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? How would you compare the structure of this novel to others that you have studied?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of symbolism in the novel. What are some examples of major symbols that recur in the story? What do each of these symbols represent? What colors are prominent in Lord of Misrule?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)