|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tommy and Maggie's landlady who is a racetrack widow?
2. What does Tommy consider Maggie to be for him in the narrative in Chapter 13?
3. Who is the vet that castrates Little Spinoza?
4. Who offers Medicine Ed a job working for him in Chapter 9?
5. How long is it until the time for the race in the opening of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrative style of the novel change in Chapter 5? What is noteworthy about this change?
2. How did Medicine Ed get his name? What is revealed about Medicine Ed's history in Chapter 4?
3. How is the horse named Little Spinoza regarded by the main characters in the novel?
4. How are Boll Weevil and the Mahdi compared to one another as they prepare for the first race?
5. How is Two-Tie's character presented in the novel? What are his objectives?
6. How does Tommy's behavior toward Maggie change in Chapter 16? What is significant about this change in his behavior?
7. What inner conflicts does Maggie face in Chapter 15?
8. Why do Tommy's finances concern Medicine Ed?
9. What comparisons does Two-Tie make to the card players at his house in Chapter 11?
10. Why does Two-Tie have this nickname? What does his second tie represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Maggie in the novel. What is Maggie's history? What motivates Maggie to come to the racetrack? How does Maggie's character evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Deucey in the novel. What is Deucey's history with horses and racing? How would you describe Deucey's relationship with Joe Dale? What makes Deucey decide to buy Little Spinoza?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unique narrative style of Lord of Misrule. From what narrative perspective(s) is the story related? How does the author indicate changes in the narrative perspective? How would you describe the differences in language style associated with the different characters?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)