|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Deucey claim her horse is in Chapter 1?
2. Who is talking about claiming the Mahdi at the next race, according to Vernon in Chapter 17?
3. Who does Joe Dale motion to come talk with him in his car in Chapter 12?
4. Where are Zeno's former stalls that Tommy acquires in Chapter 12?
5. What is the price that Joe Dale is offering to sell Little Spinoza for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrative perspective shift in Chapter 15? Why does the author make this shift?
2. What horses are Tommy and Maggie rooting for in the first race? Why is this significant?
3. What causes Medicine Ed's luck to change following the first race?
4. What is contained in Medicine Ed's red velvet bag? What is the purpose of this concoction?
5. What is Deucey's major conflict in the novel regarding Little Spinoza and Joe Dale?
6. Why does Two-Tie have this nickname? What does his second tie represent?
7. What is noteworthy regarding Tommy's behavior toward Maggie in Chapter 10?
8. How does the narrative style of the novel change in Chapter 5? What is noteworthy about this change?
9. How is the theme of luck explored in Chapter 1 of the novel?
10. What are some examples of the author's use of simile in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of entrapment or enslavement in Lord of Misrule. In what ways are the main characters enslaved by their circumstances or by their significant others? What statements do you think the author is making regarding the entrapment of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of aging and death in the novel. How does the author develop these themes through the horses at the track? How is the theme developed through character and imagery? What characters face death in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Indian Mound Downs. What imagery does the author employ in describing this setting? What mood and tone are evoked by the setting? During what decade does the story take place?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)