|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tommy and Maggie's landlady who is a racetrack widow?
2. Who offers Medicine Ed a job working for him in Chapter 9?
3. What is Joe Dale's son called?
4. How much is the claiming race for that Little Spinoza's owners decide to race him in, in Chapter 15?
5. From what narrative point of view is Chapter 16 related?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is Lord of Misrule set? What indications in the novel reveal the time period of the story?
2. How are Boll Weevil and the Mahdi compared to one another as they prepare for the first race?
3. What setting is introduced in Chapter 1? How would you describe Medicine Ed's circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
4. What inner conflicts does Maggie face in Chapter 15?
5. How has Two-Tie's behavior changed in Chapter 17? What are the impacts of the changes in Two-Tie's character?
6. How is Two-Tie's character presented in the novel? What are his objectives?
7. How is the theme of fear developed in Chapter 10?
8. How does Tommy's behavior toward Maggie change in Chapter 16? What is significant about this change in his behavior?
9. What does Deucey relate to Maggie regarding luck in Chapter 2?
10. What crucial information does Tommy reveal to Joe Dale during their conversation in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Deucey in the novel. What is Deucey's history with horses and racing? How would you describe Deucey's relationship with Joe Dale? What makes Deucey decide to buy Little Spinoza?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of one's desire for home in Lord of Misrule. How is the concept of "home" defined by the main characters in the story? How do the main characters relate to one another in their personal desires for finding a home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the main horses that are the focus in Lord of Misrule. What is Maggie's favorite horse? Why? Which horse does Tommy prefer? How are the horses in the novel compared to one another?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)