|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Tommy left when he calls Maggie in Chapter 21?
(a) One day.
(b) Six days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two days.
2. Where has Tommy gotten tangled up with money, according to the narrative in Chapter 37?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) Las Vegas.
(c) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
3. What does Tommy say he wants Maggie to give Pelter before the race in Chapter 21?
(b) Raw oats.
(c) Horse-goofer dust.
4. What season is described as it passes in Chapter 29?
5. What does Medicine Ed do when the jockey riding Lord of Misery asks Maggie if she wants to party in Chapter 34?
(a) He punches the jockey.
(b) He kills the horse.
(c) He nods at her to go.
(d) He calls the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tommy holding as he approaches Joe Dale in Chapter 40?
2. Who called to say that Pelter must be given back to Maggie in Chapter 26?
3. What name does Two-Tie tell Maggie to memorize in the end of Chapter 27?
4. Who has warned Medicine Ed that Hansel had better not mess up the intended results of the race in Chapter 34?
5. Who is in the driver's seat of the car in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Deucey reveal to Medicine Ed before the fourth race? Why does this information lead to inner conflict for Medicine Ed?
2. What are Joe Dale's objectives in Chapter 29? Does he achieve those objectives?
3. How does the theme of luck apply to Maggie's situation in Chapter 27?
4. What is revealed of Tommy’s circumstances in Chapter 37?
5. What is Medicine Ed's primary objective in the fourth race? What does he stand to gain?
6. How is the abandoned racetrack described in the novel? What does it symbolize?
7. Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the events of the race in past tense in Chapter 22?
8. What is indicated by Joe Dale's actions after the third race?
9. What does Tommy say about Maggie's newspaper columns in "Results"?
10. What is the outcome for Medicine Ed in "Results"?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)