|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claimed the Mahdi after the race, according to the narrator in Chapter 22?
(b) Medicine Ed.
2. Who arrives and suggests he could help Maggie get Pelter back in Chapter 24?
(a) Joe Dale.
3. What causes Two-Tie to get into the car in Chapter 32?
(a) He hears Maggie's voice in the car.
(b) He gets in to retrieve his dog.
(c) He hears Tommy's voice in the car.
(d) The man in the car offers him money.
4. Where is Maggie when Little Spinoza is killed in Chapter 38?
(a) At the betting window.
(b) In an ambulance.
(c) Laying on the track.
(d) In the winner's circle.
5. From what narrative perspective is Chapter 26 related?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Fourth person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horse is led second from its stall to the starting gate in Chapter 36?
2. Where is Medicine Ed said to have begun napping in the afternoons in Chapter 31?
3. What horse's body does Maggie find as she makes her way toward the river in Chapter 40?
4. How does the narrative transition in Chapter 37?
5. What name does Two-Tie tell Maggie to memorize in the end of Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joe Dale's objectives in Chapter 29? Does he achieve those objectives?
2. What connection is made between Medicine Ed and Maggyie's characters in Chapter 24?
3. How does Maggie feel about her luck in "Results"?
4. How does the theme of luck apply to Maggie's situation in Chapter 27?
5. What are Medicine Ed's primary concerns and conflicts after the race in Chapter 39?
6. What foreshadowing is related to the blue Cadillac in the novel?
7. What is indicated about Two-Tie's character by his death in the novel?
8. What actions does Tommy take when he appears in Chapter 40?
9. How are Two-Tie and Joe Dale different in their dealings at the racetrack?
10. Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the events of the race in past tense in Chapter 22?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)