|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose horse has won the race in Chapter 9?
(a) Tommy's horse.
(b) Zeno's horse.
(c) Maggie's horse.
(d) Medicine Ed's horse.
2. Who is in the backseat of Joe Dale's car in Chapter 12?
3. What is the name of the horse that Lillian's son is bringing to Indian Mound Downs?
(b) High Soprano.
(c) Little Spinoza.
(d) Lord of Misrule.
4. Where are Zeno's former stalls that Tommy acquires in Chapter 12?
(a) Barn Z.
(b) Barn G.
(c) Barn D.
(d) Barn A.
5. What is Joe Dale's son called?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zeno holding when he goes to talk to Tommy in Chapter 8?
2. What is the powder that Medicine Ed uses on horses so they will win races?
3. Who ends up at the betting windows before the race next to Medicine Ed in Chapter 9?
4. Who is the jockey chosen to ride Little Spinoza in the claiming race in Chapter 15?
5. Medicine Ed is said to have been on the racetrack since what age in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a hot walking machine? What does this apparatus symbolize in the novel?
2. What does Deucey relate to Maggie regarding luck in Chapter 2?
3. What is Deucey's major conflict in the novel regarding Little Spinoza and Joe Dale?
4. What are some examples of the author's use of simile in Chapter 1?
5. What is contained in Medicine Ed's red velvet bag? What is the purpose of this concoction?
6. When is Lord of Misrule set? What indications in the novel reveal the time period of the story?
7. How has Two-Tie's behavior changed in Chapter 17? What are the impacts of the changes in Two-Tie's character?
8. What does the blue Cadillac come to represent in the narrative?
9. What is foreshadowed regarding Tommy and Maggie's relationship in Chapter 14?
10. How does the narrative perspective shift in Chapter 15? Why does the author make this shift?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)