|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Little Spinoza exit the gate in his first race in Chapter 18?
(b) He refuses to exit the gate.
(c) In the clear lead.
2. Who takes Little Spinoza's testicles after he is castrated?
(a) Joe Dale.
(b) Medicine Ed.
3. What horse does Deucey ask Medicine Ed to walk for her in Chapter 12?
(a) Lord of Misrule.
(b) High Soprano.
(c) Little Spinoza.
(d) The Mahdi.
4. How many stalls does Maggie take when she arrives at Indian Mound Downs?
5. How much money does each person put in to purchase Little Spinoza?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tommy out of town in Chapter 20?
2. Whom does Two-Tie ask for when he calls the racetrack in Chapter 11?
3. What is the name of the horse that Joe Dale is trying to make Deucey take in Chapter 11?
4. From what narrative point of view is Chapter 16 related?
5. What is the name of Tommy and Maggie's landlady who is a racetrack widow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is noteworthy regarding Tommy's behavior toward Maggie in Chapter 10?
2. How does the narrative style of the novel change in Chapter 5? What is noteworthy about this change?
3. How are Boll Weevil and the Mahdi compared to one another as they prepare for the first race?
4. How does Earlie respond to his race riding Little Spinoza?
5. What demand does Two-Tie make of Vernon during their phone conversation in Chapter 17? Why does he make this demand?
6. How does the narrative perspective shift in Chapter 15? Why does the author make this shift?
7. How is the theme of fear developed in Chapter 10?
8. What is foreshadowed regarding Tommy and Maggie's relationship in Chapter 14?
9. How would you compare the language styles associated with Medicine Ed and Maggie in the novel?
10. How is the horse named Little Spinoza regarded by the main characters in the novel?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)