|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who frees Moghedien from her shackles?
2. What does Berelain find in Rand's room?
3. Who greets Rand at the palace in Caemlyn?
4. What does Egwene do with Logain?
5. What is the minimum number of Aes Sedai it takes to keep Rand from reaching the One Power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Chapter 52 and why do you think this chapter exists?
2. How do you think Mat responds to seeing (and then believing) Egwene is the Amryrlin seat of the "Little Tower" at Salidar?
3. What happens between Mat and Halima and what might the result of this mean in the future?
4. Why do you think Egwene is raised to the Amryrlin Seat and is this a legitimate position?
5. What happens in Chapter 50 and why do you think this chapter is included?
6. What does Egwene announce unexpectedly in her first speech as Amryrlin seat, but how does Egwene prove she understands the precarious nature of her position when she declines a request from Elayne and Nynaeve?
7. What does Min see about Perrin and Rand and should this be taken seriously?
8. What is Mat debating in his head and how is this a bit comic?
9. Why do Elayne and Nynaeve ignore Mat during the trip to Ebou Dar and is this fair of them?
10. How does Rand learn of the location of Elayne and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in LORD OF CHAOS and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of toh. How does Egwene satisfy the toh she owes the Wise Ones before leaving for Salidar? What does Aviendha want Elayne to do in order to satisfy Aviendha's toh to Elayne?
Besides the Aiel, who else in LORD OF CHAOS values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in LORD OF CHAOS? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly--such as how they are treating Queen Morgase. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the one power. Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai.
Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there are there more black Ajah than Wise Ones who have gone over to the Dark Lord?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)