|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the Aes Sedai want to use Nynaeve?
2. How does Rand find out where Elayne is?
3. Who gathers to pursue Rand and his kidnappers?
4. Who does Mat tell to guard Egwene?
5. Who is Mat's second in command?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the force that gathers to rescue Rand.
2. What happens to Perrin when he and Faile arrive in Caemlyn and how does this demonstrate one of the author's agendas?
3. What happens in Chapter 50 and why do you think this chapter is included?
4. What does Egwene announce unexpectedly in her first speech as Amryrlin seat, but how does Egwene prove she understands the precarious nature of her position when she declines a request from Elayne and Nynaeve?
5. Why is Egwene so formally summoned to Salidar and what is her reaction?
6. What does Aviendha reveal to Elayne in Chapter 40 and how does Elayne respond? Do you think there is a solution given the difference in cultures between Elayne and Aviendha?
7. How is Nynaeve being pressured by the Aes Sedai in power at Salidar and what happens that changes that?
8. What is happening in Chapter 52 and why do you think this chapter exists?
9. What is Mat debating in his head and how is this a bit comic?
10. How does Rand learn of the location of Elayne and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of toh. How does Egwene satisfy the toh she owes the Wise Ones before leaving for Salidar? What does Aviendha want Elayne to do in order to satisfy Aviendha's toh to Elayne?
Besides the Aiel, who else in LORD OF CHAOS values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in LORD OF CHAOS? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly--such as how they are treating Queen Morgase. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
There is a "coup" in the White Tower in SHADOW RISING and now a new "Little Tower" is fairly well established in LORD OF CHAOS. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed? How does Elaida compare as the Amryrlin to Siuan? (There are hints of this throughout Lord of Chaos).
What happens as a result of the coup? Does it seem rationale that the "Little Tower" has chosen Egwene their Amryrlin Seat?
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne when Nyaeve is able to restore their connection to the One Power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout LORD OF CHAOS.
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout LORD OF CHAOS.
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout LORD OF CHAOS.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)