|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand now view Egwene?
2. To where do Elayne and Nynaeve decide to travel?
3. Why is Elayne angry?
4. Why won't the Wise Ones allow Egwene alone in Tel'aran'rhoid?
5. What happens as a result of the evil bubble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taim want to do and is the training of men who can channel wise or justified given the taint on Saidin?
2. In the Prologue, the Tower and Shaido Aiel make a pact to take down Rand--do you think the Shaido can be trusted to follow the agreement?
3. Rather than being dead, what is Queen Morgase doing and why?
4. What are one or two themes that are re-introduced in these first chapters from previous books?
5. What do you think is one of the primary purposes of the Prologue and initial chapters and why are they necessary?
6. What do readers learn about Padan Fain?
7. What does Alanna do to Rand and what is Rand's reaction? Is Alanna's action ethical?
8. How does Rand surprise the Tower Aes Sedai in Chapter 27 and what is the implication of Rand's knowledge?
9. What does the Tower embassy ask of Rand; what is his response, and do you think he is sincere?
10. Why do you think Queen Morgase is being held as a virtual prisoner by Pedron Niall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not mentioned in detail in LORD OF CHAOS, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Aes Sedai Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in LORD OF CHAOS?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince, as he learns in LORD OF CHAOS that he is in actuality?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of toh. How does Egwene satisfy the toh she owes the Wise Ones before leaving for Salidar? What does Aviendha want Elayne to do in order to satisfy Aviendha's toh to Elayne?
Besides the Aiel, who else in LORD OF CHAOS values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in LORD OF CHAOS? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly--such as how they are treating Queen Morgase. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Rand supports Mazrim Taim in opening a school for men who can channel. Discuss one of the following:
Thoroughly describe and analyze the school for men who can channel and discuss if you think the school is necessary for Rand's goals.
Is it wise to train men who can channel knowing that Saidin is tainted and many if not all, men go insane after regularly using the One Power. Take a stance and defend it with examples.
How does Rand's foresight in granting amnesty to men who can channel and setting up the school impact the action in Lord of Chaos?
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)