|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gawyn profess in his dream?
2. Where does Rand go after meeting with Taim?
3. What is the last order from the Dark One to Demandred?
4. Why is Loial's mother looking for him?
5. How does Rand act when Alanna bonds him without his permission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rand get angry with Egwene in Chapter 18 and why is this ironic?
2. What do you think is one of the primary purposes of the Prologue and initial chapters and why are they necessary?
3. What happens in Chapter 25 that may foreshadow a future event?
4. What does Taim want to do and is the training of men who can channel wise or justified given the taint on Saidin?
5. What are one or two themes that are re-introduced in these first chapters from previous books?
6. How does Rand surprise the Tower Aes Sedai in Chapter 27 and what is the implication of Rand's knowledge?
7. What does the Tower embassy ask of Rand; what is his response, and do you think he is sincere?
8. Rather than being dead, what is Queen Morgase doing and why?
9. In Chapter 25, what is the situation that creates dramatic irony?
10. Why do you think Queen Morgase is being held as a virtual prisoner by Pedron Niall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in LORD OF CHAOS, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in LORD OF CHAOS and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Rand supports Mazrim Taim in opening a school for men who can channel. Discuss one of the following:
Thoroughly describe and analyze the school for men who can channel and discuss if you think the school is necessary for Rand's goals.
Is it wise to train men who can channel knowing that Saidin is tainted and many if not all, men go insane after regularly using the One Power. Take a stance and defend it with examples.
How does Rand's foresight in granting amnesty to men who can channel and setting up the school impact the action in Lord of Chaos?
Essay Topic 3
Several of the Forsaken appear in LORD OF CHAOS. Discuss one of the following:
Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in LORD OF CHAOS.
Compare/contrast Sammael with Graendal.
What does the term "Nae'Blis" mean and how does that impact the actions of the Forsaken?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)