|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Rand offered men who can channel?
2. Who does Dyelin say Rand resembles?
3. How many sisters does it take to still a man who can channel?
4. What does Egwene see while she is in Cairhien?
5. What happens when someone tries to assassinate Rand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in opinion between Nynaeve and Elayne about leaving Salidar and which action do you think is the best one for them?
2. What does the Tower embassy ask of Rand; what is his response, and do you think he is sincere?
3. Do you think Lews Therin and Rand are the same soul?
4. What are Nynaeve and Elayne teaching some of the older Aes Sedei and how is this skill useful?
5. What do you think is one of the primary purposes of the Prologue and initial chapters and why are they necessary?
6. What is Robert Jordan's style that seems to compel the reader ever forward in reading Lord of Chaos?
7. In the Prologue, the Tower and Shaido Aiel make a pact to take down Rand--do you think the Shaido can be trusted to follow the agreement?
8. What are one or two themes that are re-introduced in these first chapters from previous books?
9. What happens in Chapter 25 that may foreshadow a future event?
10. What does Taim want to do and is the training of men who can channel wise or justified given the taint on Saidin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the prophesies about the Dragon Reborn is that Aes Sedai will swear loyalty to the Dragon Reborn, which happens in the last chapter of the book. Rand hates being told what he needs to do by Aes Sedai who cite prophecy. Discuss the following:
Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in LORD OF CHAOS.
Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
Do you think Rand knowing about the prophesies about him will help him? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 2
There is a "coup" in the White Tower in SHADOW RISING and now a new "Little Tower" is fairly well established in LORD OF CHAOS. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed? How does Elaida compare as the Amryrlin to Siuan? (There are hints of this throughout Lord of Chaos).
What happens as a result of the coup? Does it seem rationale that the "Little Tower" has chosen Egwene their Amryrlin Seat?
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne when Nyaeve is able to restore their connection to the One Power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout LORD OF CHAOS.
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout LORD OF CHAOS.
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout LORD OF CHAOS.
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)