|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last order from the Dark One to Demandred?
2. What does Sammael order Graendal to do?
3. Who tries to kill Mat in Chapter 22?
4. What has Rand offered men who can channel?
5. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne go in the Dream World?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Nynaeve and Elayne teaching some of the older Aes Sedei and how is this skill useful?
2. Who is Mazrim Taim and what does he want of Rand? Should Rand trust him?
3. What might be the implication of Vera having found more than two dozen girls who are talented in the One Power all in the tiny province of Two Rivers?
4. How does Rand learn a bit more about his biological parents and does this matter in the scheme of things?
5. How does Rand surprise the Tower Aes Sedai in Chapter 27 and what is the implication of Rand's knowledge?
6. Why does Rand get angry with Egwene in Chapter 18 and why is this ironic?
7. What is the difference in opinion between Nynaeve and Elayne about leaving Salidar and which action do you think is the best one for them?
8. What information does Demandred relate to the Dark One and what do you think the Dark One means by his reply?
9. What mars the Ogier visit with Rand to Shadar Logoth and of what does that remind both Rand and the reader?
10. What does Sammael tell Graendal and how is her reaction ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Traveling in the Wheel of Time series evolves, a phenomenon that also helps the book's pacing. First, Rand and the others travel by foot and horse; then the "Ways" are introduced, which significantly cuts down on the time it takes to get from one point to another. In SHADOW RISING, Rand uses a portal stone for travel across vast distances; however, one must first walk to a portal stone, so the travel cannot be said to be instantaneous. Finally, in LORD OF CHAOS, a technique called "Traveling" is introduced where a doorway is magically "sliced" into the air and one can instantly be where s/he wants to go. Discuss the following:
What is the advantage of having the characters travel by horse and foot across long distances requiring significant amounts of time? What are the disadvantages?
How is the plot affected when the ability to travel from point A to point B is drastically reduced? Give examples from the book.
How is the rescue scene in LORD OF CHAOS affected when the Ash'aman are able to instantly move from one place to another?
Essay Topic 2
There is a "coup" in the White Tower in SHADOW RISING and now a new "Little Tower" is fairly well established in LORD OF CHAOS. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed? How does Elaida compare as the Amryrlin to Siuan? (There are hints of this throughout Lord of Chaos).
What happens as a result of the coup? Does it seem rationale that the "Little Tower" has chosen Egwene their Amryrlin Seat?
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne when Nyaeve is able to restore their connection to the One Power?
Essay Topic 3
In the Prologue, Demandred receives an instruction from the Dark Lord: "Let the Lord of Chaos rule." Discuss one of the following:
Who do you think is the Lord of Chaos and why? Give Examples.
If one were to assume that Rand A'Thor is the Lord of Chaos, how do you think he is helping the Dark Lord?
If one were to assume Rand A'Thor is the Lord of Chaos, do you think Rand is intentionally creating chaos? Why or why not? What are some of the ways Rand is creating chaos?
This section contains 1,697 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)