|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
(a) Near a rock outcropping just outside Nevers.
(b) At Nevers in a small warehouse.
(c) Just outside Rouens in a small church.
(d) By a river that is uncrossable.
2. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
(a) Barbara is having an affair.
(b) An assassination attempt on the Prince Regent's life is thwarted.
(c) Napoleon regains his power.
(d) Napoleon is poisoned but survives.
3. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) Just the Comte de Graçay.
(c) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
(d) Just Brown.
4. What saves Hornblower, the Comte, and Brown from execution?
(a) The news that Napoleon suffers a tremendous defeat at the hand of Wellington.
(b) The guns discharges incorrectly.
(c) Napoleon himself intervenes and commutes the sentences.
(d) They are able to escape before the sentences are carried out.
5. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
(a) Sets off on his own to scout the terrain.
(b) Sets off with Brown to try and draw off the surrounding soldiers.
(c) Gathers and dismisses what is left of the Comte's forces.
(d) Surrenders to the surrounding soldiers on condition that the others are allowed to go free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
2. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
3. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
4. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
5. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
2. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
3. Why is Hornblower conflicted about going back to France?
4. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
5. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
6. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
7. What does Hornblower find in Nevers?
8. What happens at the welcoming ceremony the Mayor of Le Havre conducts?
9. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
10. How does Hornblower try to save Brown's life?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)