|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Hornblower recognized for his services?
(a) He is relieved of his duties in Le Havre and allowed to retire.
(b) He is given a medal.
(c) He and Barbara are invited to a reception given by the Prince Regent in his honor.
(d) He is made a peer.
2. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
(a) Lebrun provides some additional information that saves the day.
(b) Hornblower relents, but remembers this day.
(c) The Duke's advisors intervenes and works things out.
(d) The Mayor of Le Havre intervenes and works things out.
3. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
(a) By a river that is uncrossable.
(b) Near a rock outcropping just outside Nevers.
(c) At Nevers in a small warehouse.
(d) Just outside Rouens in a small church.
4. At the Duke's banquet and reception, what does Hornblower do that ruins the night for his wife?
(a) Argues with her about the state of the war.
(b) Criticizes her for her appearance.
(c) Shows up late and almost misses the reception line.
(d) Tells her at the worst possible time that Captain Bush is dead.
5. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) Just Brown.
(c) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
(d) Just the Comte de Graçay.
6. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
(a) Wellington wants to give Hornblower a medal.
(b) His troops is recalled.
(c) England is sending more reinforcements.
(d) Napoleon is sending troops to Le Havre.
7. Who is the Duke d'Angoulême's wife?
(a) The illegitimate daughter of the Duke of Cumberland and Anne Horton.
(b) The daughter of King Louis XVI and Marie Antoniette.
(c) The niece of the English Prime Minister, William Pitt.
(d) The daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte.
8. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
(a) Amicus curiae.
(d) President of the newly formed Le Havre trading delegation.
9. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
(b) The Prince Regent.
(c) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
(d) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
10. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
(a) He doesn't think his actions merit comparisons with his hero Lord Nelson.
(b) As long as Napoleon lives, the war is never going to end.
(c) He can't believe Barbara cheats on him.
(d) He thinks Chadwick should be punished more severely.
11. Who else comes to Le Havre that is even more surprising to Hornblower?
(a) His first Captain on the Indefatigable.
(b) His wife Barbara's personal maid.
(c) Lord St. Vincent.
(d) His wife Barbara.
12. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
(a) Bonaparte suffers a major setback at Soissons.
(b) The Duke of Wellington is suffering from gout and has to postpone a planned attack.
(c) Napoleon is in secret talks with the Americans.
(d) Prime Minister Pitt is considering conscription.
13. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
(a) He surrenders on condition that Marie be given a decent burial.
(b) He is hit with a rifle butt and captured.
(c) He escapes with the Comte and Brown.
(d) He goes berserk and kills a number of the enemy before being subdued.
14. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
(a) Queen Charlotte.
(b) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
15. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Death for all.
(b) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(c) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
(d) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hornblower afraid of when he hears Dobbs' news?
2. To whom do the placards' promises not extend?
3. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
4. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
5. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)