|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
(a) Disguise themselves as French soldiers.
(b) Find a boat to cross the river.
(c) Hide themselves in an abandoned farmhouse.
(d) Swim downriver.
2. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
(b) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
(c) Have him sent back to England.
(d) Work with him because he is royalty.
3. At the Duke's banquet and reception, what does Hornblower do that ruins the night for his wife?
(a) Shows up late and almost misses the reception line.
(b) Criticizes her for her appearance.
(c) Argues with her about the state of the war.
(d) Tells her at the worst possible time that Captain Bush is dead.
4. What does Hornblower end up doing about the mutineers?
(a) He refuses to sign the court martial papers.
(b) He writes to the Admiralty asking for leniency on their behalf.
(c) He asks the Duke d'Angoulême to commute their sentences.
(d) He makes a strong recommendation to the Admiralty to have Chadwick share the mutineers' fate.
5. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
(a) Set up a spy network and infiltrate nearby towns.
(b) Inspect the French troops every morning.
(c) Listen to complaints about English treatment of the new liberated citizens of Le Havre.
(d) Plan and liberate other French ports.
6. Who is the Duke d'Angoulême's wife?
(a) The daughter of King Louis XVI and Marie Antoniette.
(b) The daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte.
(c) The niece of the English Prime Minister, William Pitt.
(d) The illegitimate daughter of the Duke of Cumberland and Anne Horton.
7. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) Commits suicide.
(d) Makes a last stand in Paris.
8. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
(a) Send them back to England.
(b) Ready them for orders from Wellington.
(c) Advance on the city of Rouen.
(d) Attack the nearby city of Honfleur.
9. How does Marie die?
(a) She is trampled when her horse is shot from under her.
(b) She is bayoneted when she tries to escape.
(c) She falls into the river and drowns.
(d) She bleeds to death in Hornblower's arms.
10. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
(a) Baron Momas.
(c) An older officer by the name of Haus.
(d) A Midshipman from the Admiralty.
11. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
(a) A French citizen gives Hornblower an eye-witness account of a massacre.
(b) A deserter is caught and says the attackers are wiped out.
(c) Hornblower is woken up in the middle of the night and told of a huge explosion.
(d) Captain Bush comes back with what's left of the attack force.
12. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
(a) Send for reinforcements from England.
(b) Have soldiers board barges to attack the French.
(c) Fortify the town for a long siege.
(d) Send Lebrun over to negotiate.
13. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
(b) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
14. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
(a) Brown defies Hornblower's orders and leaves with Annette.
(b) She stays with Brown, refusing to leave her new husband.
(c) She tries to cross the river and drowns.
(d) Hornblower makes her leave with the others to save her life.
15. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
(a) He leaves for Rome.
(b) He leaves for Vienna.
(c) He leaves the Chateau and go to Nevers.
(d) He leaves for England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
2. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
3. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
4. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
5. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)