|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Stays in Rouen.
(b) Stays in Le Havre.
(c) Returns to England.
(d) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
2. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
(a) He hates pomp and circumstance and protocol.
(b) He meets the VIP before and isn't impressed.
(c) He doesn't want the VIP to interfere with how he is running things in Le Havre.
(d) He thinks England is sending the wrong person.
3. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
(a) He doesn't think his actions merit comparisons with his hero Lord Nelson.
(b) He can't believe Barbara cheats on him.
(c) As long as Napoleon lives, the war is never going to end.
(d) He thinks Chadwick should be punished more severely.
4. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
(a) The Prince Regent.
(b) Queen Charlotte.
(c) The Duke of Wellington.
(d) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
5. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
(b) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
(c) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
(d) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
6. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
(a) He is found guilty of treason.
(b) He is free to go.
(c) Napoleon is prepared to deal generously if he cooperates.
(d) He is found guilty of capital war crimes.
7. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
(a) His troops is recalled.
(b) Napoleon is sending troops to Le Havre.
(c) Wellington wants to give Hornblower a medal.
(d) England is sending more reinforcements.
8. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) His son's governess.
(b) An ex-lover.
(c) His wife Barbara's best friend.
(d) His ex-governess.
9. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
(a) Mayor of Nevers.
(b) Military advisor to the Duke.
(c) Lieutenant-General of the King in the Nivernais.
(d) General of the Royalist army.
10. Who is the Duke d'Angoulême's wife?
(a) The daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte.
(b) The daughter of King Louis XVI and Marie Antoniette.
(c) The niece of the English Prime Minister, William Pitt.
(d) The illegitimate daughter of the Duke of Cumberland and Anne Horton.
11. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
(c) Just the Comte de Graçay.
(d) Just Brown.
12. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
(a) By a river that is uncrossable.
(b) At Nevers in a small warehouse.
(c) Near a rock outcropping just outside Nevers.
(d) Just outside Rouens in a small church.
13. At the night of Brown's wedding, what does the Comte tell Hornblower?
(a) A rumor that Napoleon is to stand trial for war crimes.
(b) A rumor that Napoleon returns to France.
(c) A rumor that Napoleon is dead.
(d) A rumor that Napoleon is exiled to America.
14. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
(a) Sets off on his own to scout the terrain.
(b) Gathers and dismisses what is left of the Comte's forces.
(c) Surrenders to the surrounding soldiers on condition that the others are allowed to go free.
(d) Sets off with Brown to try and draw off the surrounding soldiers.
15. What does Hornblower think of Brown's plans?
(a) Hornblower thinks Brown should wait, as France is still too unsettled.
(b) Hornblower is upset that Brown is quitting.
(c) Hornblower is happy for him.
(d) Hornblower thinks Brown is crazy to leave England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else comes to Le Havre that is even more surprising to Hornblower?
2. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
3. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
4. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
5. What else does Brown tell Hornblower he plans to do?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)