|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
(b) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
(c) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
(d) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
2. To whom do the placards' promises not extend?
(a) Only the Comte de Graçay.
(b) Only the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(c) Only Hornblower.
(d) Hornblower, Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
3. How does Marie die?
(a) She is bayoneted when she tries to escape.
(b) She bleeds to death in Hornblower's arms.
(c) She falls into the river and drowns.
(d) She is trampled when her horse is shot from under her.
4. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Brown is killed.
(b) Marie is shot in the leg.
(c) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
(d) Hornblower surrenders.
5. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
(a) He escapes with the Comte and Brown.
(b) He is hit with a rifle butt and captured.
(c) He goes berserk and kills a number of the enemy before being subdued.
(d) He surrenders on condition that Marie be given a decent burial.
6. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
(a) A deserter is caught and says the attackers are wiped out.
(b) A French citizen gives Hornblower an eye-witness account of a massacre.
(c) Hornblower is woken up in the middle of the night and told of a huge explosion.
(d) Captain Bush comes back with what's left of the attack force.
7. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
(a) Ready them for orders from Wellington.
(b) Send them back to England.
(c) Attack the nearby city of Honfleur.
(d) Advance on the city of Rouen.
8. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
(a) Prime Minister Pitt is considering conscription.
(b) Napoleon is in secret talks with the Americans.
(c) Bonaparte suffers a major setback at Soissons.
(d) The Duke of Wellington is suffering from gout and has to postpone a planned attack.
9. What does Hornblower have to do for the royal banquet that he particularly dislikes?
(a) Have his hair powdered.
(b) Wear all his medals.
(c) Keep up with the Duke d'Angoulême's drinking.
(d) Make a speech.
10. Who comes to Le Havre on a surprise visit?
(a) The Duke of Wellington.
(b) The Prince Regent.
(c) Lord St. Vincent.
(d) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
11. Why is Hornblower particularly upset with the news about Captain Bush?
(a) Captain Bush's negligence costs them the victory.
(b) They can't even find a body to bury.
(c) Hornblower is blamed for the fiasco.
(d) Captain Bush blames Hornblower for his injuries.
12. Hornblower tries to save Brown by claiming what?
(a) Brown is there due to misguided loyalties and thus should not be held accountable.
(b) Brown is a prisoner who Hornblower is holding for ransom.
(c) Brown is not in his right mind.
(d) Brown is a seaman and following orders.
13. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
(a) He is a spy who Hornblower has dealings with before.
(b) He is a friend who shelters Hornblower when he is a fugitive.
(c) He is a prisoner Hornblower captures then ransoms.
(d) He is a good friend of Lord St. Vincent.
14. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(b) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
(c) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
(d) Death for all.
15. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
(b) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
(c) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
(d) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
2. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
3. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
4. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
5. Who does Brown propose to marry?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)