|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hornblower angry at the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) He makes fun of Captain Bush's memory.
(b) He refuses to commute the sentences of the mutineers.
(c) He is found plotting with Le Havre's remaining Bonapartists.
(d) He denies Hornblower's request to go back to England.
2. Why is Hornblower not happy and is awkward with his wife when she visits him at Le Havre?
(a) She is embarrassing him by singing his praises to everyone.
(b) She keeps trying to get him to retire and go back to England.
(c) He is on active duty and is not comfortable having his wife around.
(d) He thinks she is having an affair.
3. Brown has plans of his own in France. What does he tell Hornblower?
(a) He is going to go to Vienna and join Barbara and her maid.
(b) He is going to travel Europe now that the war is over.
(c) He is going to buy a farm.
(d) He is going to marry a local girl.
4. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
(a) Plan and liberate other French ports.
(b) Listen to complaints about English treatment of the new liberated citizens of Le Havre.
(c) Set up a spy network and infiltrate nearby towns.
(d) Inspect the French troops every morning.
5. Who does Hornblower have on board the Porta Coeli?
(a) The mutineers from the Flame.
(b) Duke d'Angoulême.
(c) Local volunteers.
(d) General Blücher.
6. Who does Brown propose to marry?
(a) Madeline, the Vicomtesse de Graçay's maid.
(b) Rachel, a girl he meets at Le Havre.
(c) Jeanne, the cook's daughter.
(d) Annette, a local girl.
7. What else does Brown tell Hornblower he plans to do?
(a) Go to America and seek his fortune.
(b) Join the Porta Coeli crew and become Captain Freeman's servant.
(c) Open an inn in Paris.
(d) Use his saved prize money and settle down in Rome.
8. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
(b) Marie is shot in the leg.
(c) Hornblower surrenders.
(d) Brown is killed.
9. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) Captain Bush and Brown.
(d) No one.
10. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
(a) Attack the nearby city of Honfleur.
(b) Advance on the city of Rouen.
(c) Ready them for orders from Wellington.
(d) Send them back to England.
11. What does Hornblower think about his duties at Le Havre?
(a) He is a man of action and doesn't like being behind a desk.
(b) He hopes that Barbara is proud of him.
(c) As always, he likes the adminstrative work.
(d) He is glad he doesn't have to be at sea.
12. What does the Comte think of Brown's plans?
(a) He is insulted and throws Brown out.
(b) He should be told earlier because he is shocked and hurt.
(c) He is indifferent; Brown is only a servant.
(d) He is delighted and throws a big party.
13. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(b) Makes a last stand in Paris.
(d) Commits suicide.
14. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
(a) He goes berserk and kills a number of the enemy before being subdued.
(b) He surrenders on condition that Marie be given a decent burial.
(c) He is hit with a rifle butt and captured.
(d) He escapes with the Comte and Brown.
15. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
(a) A deserter is caught and says the attackers are wiped out.
(b) Captain Bush comes back with what's left of the attack force.
(c) Hornblower is woken up in the middle of the night and told of a huge explosion.
(d) A French citizen gives Hornblower an eye-witness account of a massacre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
2. In opposing Napoleon, what do the Comte and his followers become?
3. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
4. Who comes to Le Havre on a surprise visit?
5. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)