|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hornblower angry at the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) He denies Hornblower's request to go back to England.
(b) He refuses to commute the sentences of the mutineers.
(c) He makes fun of Captain Bush's memory.
(d) He is found plotting with Le Havre's remaining Bonapartists.
2. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Marie is shot in the leg.
(b) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
(c) Hornblower surrenders.
(d) Brown is killed.
3. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
(a) He hates pomp and circumstance and protocol.
(b) He thinks England is sending the wrong person.
(c) He doesn't want the VIP to interfere with how he is running things in Le Havre.
(d) He meets the VIP before and isn't impressed.
4. What saves Hornblower, the Comte, and Brown from execution?
(a) The guns discharges incorrectly.
(b) The news that Napoleon suffers a tremendous defeat at the hand of Wellington.
(c) They are able to escape before the sentences are carried out.
(d) Napoleon himself intervenes and commutes the sentences.
5. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(b) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
(c) Death for all.
(d) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
6. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
(a) A Midshipman from the Admiralty.
(b) An older officer by the name of Haus.
(d) Baron Momas.
7. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
(b) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
(c) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
(d) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
8. Hornblower tries to save Brown by claiming what?
(a) Brown is not in his right mind.
(b) Brown is a prisoner who Hornblower is holding for ransom.
(c) Brown is there due to misguided loyalties and thus should not be held accountable.
(d) Brown is a seaman and following orders.
9. What does the local magistrate tell Hornblower after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
(a) He is free to go.
(b) Napoleon is prepared to deal generously if he cooperates.
(c) He is found guilty of capital war crimes.
(d) He is found guilty of treason.
10. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
(a) Lieutenant-General of the King in the Nivernais.
(b) Mayor of Nevers.
(c) Military advisor to the Duke.
(d) General of the Royalist army.
11. Brown has plans of his own in France. What does he tell Hornblower?
(a) He is going to go to Vienna and join Barbara and her maid.
(b) He is going to travel Europe now that the war is over.
(c) He is going to buy a farm.
(d) He is going to marry a local girl.
12. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
(b) No one, he leaves alone.
(d) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
13. Why does Hornblower not stay in England as expected?
(a) He wants to join Barbara in Vienna.
(b) He wants to introduce Richard to the sea, now that it is safer.
(c) He wants to be with Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay again.
(d) He wants to grab more prize money before the war ends.
14. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She only marries him because her brother tells her to.
(c) She is in love with someone else.
(d) She enjoys being part of the political scene and the privileged crowd.
15. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
(b) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
(c) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
(d) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
2. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
3. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
4. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
5. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)