|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
(a) Swim downriver.
(b) Disguise themselves as French soldiers.
(c) Hide themselves in an abandoned farmhouse.
(d) Find a boat to cross the river.
2. Who does Brown propose to marry?
(a) Madeline, the Vicomtesse de Graçay's maid.
(b) Annette, a local girl.
(c) Jeanne, the cook's daughter.
(d) Rachel, a girl he meets at Le Havre.
3. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
(a) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of the King.
(b) Nevers is neutral territory.
(c) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of Napoleon.
(d) Hornblower has to go to Vienna to represent the Duke and Duchess and Nevers.
4. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(b) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
(c) Death for all.
(d) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
5. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
(a) He has to retreat due to superior force.
(b) He is captured.
(c) He has to fight a duel.
(d) He meets with no resistance.
6. Where does Hornblower send the Porta Coeli as part of his plan for the militia?
(a) Back to England for reinforcements.
(b) Up the Seine River further into France.
(c) To Spain to deliver a message to General Blücher.
(d) Upriver from Le Havre to a place called Caudebec.
7. How does Marie die?
(a) She is bayoneted when she tries to escape.
(b) She bleeds to death in Hornblower's arms.
(c) She is trampled when her horse is shot from under her.
(d) She falls into the river and drowns.
8. What saves Hornblower, the Comte, and Brown from execution?
(a) The news that Napoleon suffers a tremendous defeat at the hand of Wellington.
(b) They are able to escape before the sentences are carried out.
(c) The guns discharges incorrectly.
(d) Napoleon himself intervenes and commutes the sentences.
9. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
(a) His widowed daughter-in-law.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) His mother.
10. What news arrives to make Hornblower's plan for the militia an almost guaranteed success?
(a) Wellington sends reinforcements.
(b) There are only half the number of enemy soldiers as first estimated.
(c) The locals are going to fight with them.
(d) The French abandon Rouen.
11. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
(a) It is an excuse to get the royal out of England.
(b) The royal is on tour.
(c) To officially recognize Le Havre's liberation.
(d) To give Hornblower a medal.
12. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
(b) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
(c) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
(d) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
13. Hornblower tries to save Brown by claiming what?
(a) Brown is a prisoner who Hornblower is holding for ransom.
(b) Brown is there due to misguided loyalties and thus should not be held accountable.
(c) Brown is a seaman and following orders.
(d) Brown is not in his right mind.
14. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
(b) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
(c) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
(d) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
15. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She enjoys being part of the political scene and the privileged crowd.
(c) She is in love with someone else.
(d) She only marries him because her brother tells her to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
2. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
3. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
4. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
5. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)