|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Work with him because he is royalty.
(b) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
(c) Have him sent back to England.
(d) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
2. Where does Hornblower send the Porta Coeli as part of his plan for the militia?
(a) Back to England for reinforcements.
(b) To Spain to deliver a message to General Blücher.
(c) Up the Seine River further into France.
(d) Upriver from Le Havre to a place called Caudebec.
3. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
(a) He is a spy who Hornblower has dealings with before.
(b) He is a good friend of Lord St. Vincent.
(c) He is a prisoner Hornblower captures then ransoms.
(d) He is a friend who shelters Hornblower when he is a fugitive.
4. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Brown is killed.
(b) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
(c) Hornblower surrenders.
(d) Marie is shot in the leg.
5. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
(a) Swim downriver.
(b) Disguise themselves as French soldiers.
(c) Hide themselves in an abandoned farmhouse.
(d) Find a boat to cross the river.
6. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
(b) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
(c) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
(d) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
7. What is surprising about the city of Nevers?
(a) It is suffering from the plaque.
(b) It is deserted.
(c) It is flying the white Bourbon flag.
(d) It is overrun by the Bonapartists.
8. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Stays in Le Havre.
(b) Stays in Rouen.
(c) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
(d) Returns to England.
9. At the night of Brown's wedding, what does the Comte tell Hornblower?
(a) A rumor that Napoleon returns to France.
(b) A rumor that Napoleon is to stand trial for war crimes.
(c) A rumor that Napoleon is exiled to America.
(d) A rumor that Napoleon is dead.
10. How is Hornblower recognized for his services?
(a) He is made a peer.
(b) He is given a medal.
(c) He is relieved of his duties in Le Havre and allowed to retire.
(d) He and Barbara are invited to a reception given by the Prince Regent in his honor.
11. What is Hornblower afraid of when he hears Dobbs' news?
(a) A prolonged siege at Le Havre.
(b) Baron Momas play traitor again and renegotiate with the Bonapartists.
(c) The visiting royal wants to lead the attack.
(d) There is not enough time to put up a defense.
12. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
(a) A gossip column piece, insinuating his wife is having an affair.
(b) Napoleon is assembling troops to attack Leipzig.
(c) An account of his actions with the Flame.
(d) Lieutenant Chadwick is exiled to Jamaica.
13. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) No one, he leaves alone.
(b) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
(d) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
14. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
(a) Military advisor to the Duke.
(b) General of the Royalist army.
(c) Lieutenant-General of the King in the Nivernais.
(d) Mayor of Nevers.
15. What else does Brown tell Hornblower he plans to do?
(a) Open an inn in Paris.
(b) Go to America and seek his fortune.
(c) Use his saved prize money and settle down in Rome.
(d) Join the Porta Coeli crew and become Captain Freeman's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the local magistrate tell Hornblower after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
2. In opposing Napoleon, what do the Comte and his followers become?
3. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
4. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
5. Who accompanies Hornblower on this trip to the Chateau de Graçay?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)