|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
(a) A Midshipman from the Admiralty.
(b) Baron Momas.
(d) An older officer by the name of Haus.
2. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
(a) The Duke of Wellington.
(b) Queen Charlotte.
(c) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
(d) The Prince Regent.
3. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
(c) Just Brown.
(d) Just the Comte de Graçay.
4. How does Marie die?
(a) She is trampled when her horse is shot from under her.
(b) She bleeds to death in Hornblower's arms.
(c) She falls into the river and drowns.
(d) She is bayoneted when she tries to escape.
5. Who does Brown propose to marry?
(a) Jeanne, the cook's daughter.
(b) Rachel, a girl he meets at Le Havre.
(c) Annette, a local girl.
(d) Madeline, the Vicomtesse de Graçay's maid.
6. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
(a) Lieutenant-General of the King in the Nivernais.
(b) Military advisor to the Duke.
(c) Mayor of Nevers.
(d) General of the Royalist army.
7. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
(a) He is found guilty of capital war crimes.
(b) Napoleon is prepared to deal generously if he cooperates.
(c) He is free to go.
(d) He is found guilty of treason.
8. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) Commits suicide.
(c) Makes a last stand in Paris.
9. Why does Hornblower not stay in England as expected?
(a) He wants to be with Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay again.
(b) He wants to join Barbara in Vienna.
(c) He wants to introduce Richard to the sea, now that it is safer.
(d) He wants to grab more prize money before the war ends.
10. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
(b) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
(c) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
(d) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
11. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
(b) The Prince Regent.
(c) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
(d) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
12. Who else comes to Le Havre that is even more surprising to Hornblower?
(a) Lord St. Vincent.
(b) His wife Barbara.
(c) His wife Barbara's personal maid.
(d) His first Captain on the Indefatigable.
13. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
(b) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
(c) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
(d) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
14. Who accompanies Hornblower on this trip to the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) His son Richard.
(b) Lord St. Vincent.
(c) No one.
(d) His servant Brown.
15. What does Hornblower think of the judgment for the mutineers?
(a) He doesn't like it but he isn't going to intervene.
(b) It is too harsh.
(c) It is justice.
(d) He wishes the ringleader can stand trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
2. Where does Hornblower go first with his royal guest?
3. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
4. What news arrives to make Hornblower's plan for the militia an almost guaranteed success?
5. What saves Hornblower, the Comte, and Brown from execution?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)