|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of reception does Hornblower receive when he arrives at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) Cold and suspicious.
(b) Warm and welcoming.
(c) He is turned away because the Comte already has guests.
(d) The Chateau is closed, no one is there.
2. Who does Hornblower have on board the Porta Coeli?
(a) General Blücher.
(b) The mutineers from the Flame.
(c) Duke d'Angoulême.
(d) Local volunteers.
3. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
(a) Sets off with Brown to try and draw off the surrounding soldiers.
(b) Surrenders to the surrounding soldiers on condition that the others are allowed to go free.
(c) Gathers and dismisses what is left of the Comte's forces.
(d) Sets off on his own to scout the terrain.
4. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
(a) They are on leave.
(b) They are retreating from the front.
(c) They are on their way to the front.
(d) To bolster the defenses.
5. What does the Comte think of Brown's plans?
(a) He is insulted and throws Brown out.
(b) He is indifferent; Brown is only a servant.
(c) He should be told earlier because he is shocked and hurt.
(d) He is delighted and throws a big party.
6. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
(a) He sends representatives to negotiate their surrender.
(b) He sends operatives to infiltrate their group.
(c) He sends forces to destroy them.
(d) He sends assassins to take care of the ringleaders.
7. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
(a) His troops is recalled.
(b) Wellington wants to give Hornblower a medal.
(c) England is sending more reinforcements.
(d) Napoleon is sending troops to Le Havre.
8. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
(c) No one, he leaves alone.
(d) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
9. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
(a) Lebrun provides some additional information that saves the day.
(b) The Duke's advisors intervenes and works things out.
(c) The Mayor of Le Havre intervenes and works things out.
(d) Hornblower relents, but remembers this day.
10. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
(a) President of the newly formed Le Havre trading delegation.
(d) Amicus curiae.
11. At the Duke's banquet and reception, what does Hornblower do that ruins the night for his wife?
(a) Shows up late and almost misses the reception line.
(b) Tells her at the worst possible time that Captain Bush is dead.
(c) Criticizes her for her appearance.
(d) Argues with her about the state of the war.
12. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Have him sent back to England.
(b) Work with him because he is royalty.
(c) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
(d) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
13. What is the date that Hornblower notes is the final day of the insurgent effort?
(a) June 18, 1815.
(b) July 14, 1815.
(c) May 18, 1815.
(d) July 4th, 1815.
14. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
(a) He is hit with a rifle butt and captured.
(b) He surrenders on condition that Marie be given a decent burial.
(c) He escapes with the Comte and Brown.
(d) He goes berserk and kills a number of the enemy before being subdued.
15. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) Commits suicide.
(c) Makes a last stand in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower think of Brown's plans?
2. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
3. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
4. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
5. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)