|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else comes to Le Havre that is even more surprising to Hornblower?
(a) His wife Barbara.
(b) Lord St. Vincent.
(c) His first Captain on the Indefatigable.
(d) His wife Barbara's personal maid.
2. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
(a) Lieutenant Chadwick is exiled to Jamaica.
(b) Napoleon is assembling troops to attack Leipzig.
(c) A gossip column piece, insinuating his wife is having an affair.
(d) An account of his actions with the Flame.
3. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
(a) Swim downriver.
(b) Find a boat to cross the river.
(c) Disguise themselves as French soldiers.
(d) Hide themselves in an abandoned farmhouse.
4. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Stays in Le Havre.
(b) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
(c) Returns to England.
(d) Stays in Rouen.
5. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
(a) The Prince Regent.
(b) The Duke of Wellington.
(c) Queen Charlotte.
(d) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
6. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
(a) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of the King.
(b) Nevers is neutral territory.
(c) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of Napoleon.
(d) Hornblower has to go to Vienna to represent the Duke and Duchess and Nevers.
7. What does Hornblower end up doing about the mutineers?
(a) He writes to the Admiralty asking for leniency on their behalf.
(b) He makes a strong recommendation to the Admiralty to have Chadwick share the mutineers' fate.
(c) He refuses to sign the court martial papers.
(d) He asks the Duke d'Angoulême to commute their sentences.
8. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
(a) The Mayor of Le Havre intervenes and works things out.
(b) Lebrun provides some additional information that saves the day.
(c) Hornblower relents, but remembers this day.
(d) The Duke's advisors intervenes and works things out.
9. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) The Prince Regent.
(b) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
(c) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
(d) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
10. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
(a) He sends representatives to negotiate their surrender.
(b) He sends forces to destroy them.
(c) He sends assassins to take care of the ringleaders.
(d) He sends operatives to infiltrate their group.
11. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) His ex-governess.
(b) An ex-lover.
(c) His son's governess.
(d) His wife Barbara's best friend.
12. How does Marie die?
(a) She falls into the river and drowns.
(b) She is bayoneted when she tries to escape.
(c) She is trampled when her horse is shot from under her.
(d) She bleeds to death in Hornblower's arms.
13. What news arrives to make Hornblower's plan for the militia an almost guaranteed success?
(a) There are only half the number of enemy soldiers as first estimated.
(b) The French abandon Rouen.
(c) The locals are going to fight with them.
(d) Wellington sends reinforcements.
14. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
(b) Baron Momas.
(c) An older officer by the name of Haus.
(d) A Midshipman from the Admiralty.
15. What does Hornblower think about his duties at Le Havre?
(a) He hopes that Barbara is proud of him.
(b) He is a man of action and doesn't like being behind a desk.
(c) He is glad he doesn't have to be at sea.
(d) As always, he likes the adminstrative work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
2. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
3. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
4. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
5. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)