|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
(a) He is found guilty of treason.
(b) He is free to go.
(c) Napoleon is prepared to deal generously if he cooperates.
(d) He is found guilty of capital war crimes.
2. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
(a) Lebrun provides some additional information that saves the day.
(b) The Mayor of Le Havre intervenes and works things out.
(c) Hornblower relents, but remembers this day.
(d) The Duke's advisors intervenes and works things out.
3. Why does Hornblower not stay in England as expected?
(a) He wants to join Barbara in Vienna.
(b) He wants to introduce Richard to the sea, now that it is safer.
(c) He wants to grab more prize money before the war ends.
(d) He wants to be with Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay again.
4. What does Hornblower think about his duties at Le Havre?
(a) He is a man of action and doesn't like being behind a desk.
(b) As always, he likes the adminstrative work.
(c) He is glad he doesn't have to be at sea.
(d) He hopes that Barbara is proud of him.
5. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) His wife Barbara's best friend.
(b) His son's governess.
(c) His ex-governess.
(d) An ex-lover.
6. What does Hornblower think of Brown's plans?
(a) Hornblower is happy for him.
(b) Hornblower thinks Brown should wait, as France is still too unsettled.
(c) Hornblower is upset that Brown is quitting.
(d) Hornblower thinks Brown is crazy to leave England.
7. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) Just the Comte de Graçay.
(c) Just Brown.
(d) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
8. Brown has plans of his own in France. What does he tell Hornblower?
(a) He is going to travel Europe now that the war is over.
(b) He is going to marry a local girl.
(c) He is going to buy a farm.
(d) He is going to go to Vienna and join Barbara and her maid.
9. In opposing Napoleon, what do the Comte and his followers become?
(a) Fugitives fighting a guerilla action.
(b) The best spy network in France.
(c) Recruiters training a new army of resistance.
(d) The essential southern offensive.
10. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
(a) Nevers is neutral territory.
(b) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of Napoleon.
(c) Hornblower has to go to Vienna to represent the Duke and Duchess and Nevers.
(d) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of the King.
11. How is Hornblower recognized for his services?
(a) He is made a peer.
(b) He is relieved of his duties in Le Havre and allowed to retire.
(c) He is given a medal.
(d) He and Barbara are invited to a reception given by the Prince Regent in his honor.
12. To whom do the placards' promises not extend?
(a) Hornblower, Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) Only Hornblower.
(c) Only the Comte de Graçay.
(d) Only the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
13. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
(b) Death for all.
(c) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
(d) Clemency for all who are deserted.
14. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Stays in Le Havre.
(b) Returns to England.
(c) Stays in Rouen.
(d) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
15. What is surprising about the city of Nevers?
(a) It is overrun by the Bonapartists.
(b) It is suffering from the plaque.
(c) It is deserted.
(d) It is flying the white Bourbon flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
2. What is the news from the war front (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
3. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
4. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
5. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)