|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) No one, he leaves alone.
(b) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
(c) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
2. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
(b) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
(c) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
(d) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
3. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
(a) She stays with Brown, refusing to leave her new husband.
(b) She tries to cross the river and drowns.
(c) Brown defies Hornblower's orders and leaves with Annette.
(d) Hornblower makes her leave with the others to save her life.
4. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Returns to England.
(b) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
(c) Stays in Rouen.
(d) Stays in Le Havre.
5. At the Duke's banquet and reception, what does Hornblower do that ruins the night for his wife?
(a) Shows up late and almost misses the reception line.
(b) Argues with her about the state of the war.
(c) Tells her at the worst possible time that Captain Bush is dead.
(d) Criticizes her for her appearance.
6. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
(a) Just outside Rouens in a small church.
(b) Near a rock outcropping just outside Nevers.
(c) By a river that is uncrossable.
(d) At Nevers in a small warehouse.
7. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
(a) Ready them for orders from Wellington.
(b) Send them back to England.
(c) Advance on the city of Rouen.
(d) Attack the nearby city of Honfleur.
8. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
(a) The royal is on tour.
(b) To officially recognize Le Havre's liberation.
(c) To give Hornblower a medal.
(d) It is an excuse to get the royal out of England.
9. What is surprising about the city of Nevers?
(a) It is flying the white Bourbon flag.
(b) It is deserted.
(c) It is overrun by the Bonapartists.
(d) It is suffering from the plaque.
10. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
(a) To bolster the defenses.
(b) They are retreating from the front.
(c) They are on leave.
(d) They are on their way to the front.
11. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
(b) Just Brown.
(c) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(d) Just the Comte de Graçay.
12. What news arrives to make Hornblower's plan for the militia an almost guaranteed success?
(a) The French abandon Rouen.
(b) The locals are going to fight with them.
(c) Wellington sends reinforcements.
(d) There are only half the number of enemy soldiers as first estimated.
13. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) Captain Bush and Brown.
(b) No one.
14. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) An ex-lover.
(b) His son's governess.
(c) His wife Barbara's best friend.
(d) His ex-governess.
15. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
(a) She only marries him because her brother tells her to.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is in love with someone else.
(d) She enjoys being part of the political scene and the privileged crowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
2. How does Marie die?
3. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
4. To whom do the placards' promises not extend?
5. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)