|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower end up doing about the mutineers?
(a) He refuses to sign the court martial papers.
(b) He writes to the Admiralty asking for leniency on their behalf.
(c) He makes a strong recommendation to the Admiralty to have Chadwick share the mutineers' fate.
(d) He asks the Duke d'Angoulême to commute their sentences.
2. What is the news from the war front (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) Napoleon is marching back to Rouen.
(b) The Admiralty abandones the blockade.
(c) Wellington lostes an engagement to the French.
(d) General Blücher captures Paris.
3. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
(a) He can't believe Barbara cheats on him.
(b) He thinks Chadwick should be punished more severely.
(c) He doesn't think his actions merit comparisons with his hero Lord Nelson.
(d) As long as Napoleon lives, the war is never going to end.
4. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Returns to England.
(b) Stays in Rouen.
(c) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
(d) Stays in Le Havre.
5. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) His son's governess.
(b) An ex-lover.
(c) His ex-governess.
(d) His wife Barbara's best friend.
6. At the night of Brown's wedding, what does the Comte tell Hornblower?
(a) A rumor that Napoleon returns to France.
(b) A rumor that Napoleon is to stand trial for war crimes.
(c) A rumor that Napoleon is exiled to America.
(d) A rumor that Napoleon is dead.
7. Why is Hornblower not happy and is awkward with his wife when she visits him at Le Havre?
(a) She keeps trying to get him to retire and go back to England.
(b) She is embarrassing him by singing his praises to everyone.
(c) He thinks she is having an affair.
(d) He is on active duty and is not comfortable having his wife around.
8. To whom do the placards' promises not extend?
(a) Only the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) Only Hornblower.
(c) Hornblower, Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(d) Only the Comte de Graçay.
9. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
(a) She stays with Brown, refusing to leave her new husband.
(b) She tries to cross the river and drowns.
(c) Brown defies Hornblower's orders and leaves with Annette.
(d) Hornblower makes her leave with the others to save her life.
10. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
(a) They are retreating from the front.
(b) They are on their way to the front.
(c) They are on leave.
(d) To bolster the defenses.
11. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(b) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
(c) Death for all.
(d) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
12. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
(b) Amicus curiae.
(d) President of the newly formed Le Havre trading delegation.
13. Why is Hornblower particularly upset with the news about Captain Bush?
(a) Hornblower is blamed for the fiasco.
(b) Captain Bush blames Hornblower for his injuries.
(c) They can't even find a body to bury.
(d) Captain Bush's negligence costs them the victory.
14. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
(a) Hornblower is woken up in the middle of the night and told of a huge explosion.
(b) A French citizen gives Hornblower an eye-witness account of a massacre.
(c) A deserter is caught and says the attackers are wiped out.
(d) Captain Bush comes back with what's left of the attack force.
15. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
(a) The royal is on tour.
(b) To give Hornblower a medal.
(c) To officially recognize Le Havre's liberation.
(d) It is an excuse to get the royal out of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
2. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
3. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
4. What does Hornblower think about his duties at Le Havre?
5. Hornblower tries to save Brown by claiming what?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)