|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She only marries him because her brother tells her to.
(c) She enjoys being part of the political scene and the privileged crowd.
(d) She is in love with someone else.
2. How is Hornblower recognized for his services?
(a) He is made a peer.
(b) He is relieved of his duties in Le Havre and allowed to retire.
(c) He is given a medal.
(d) He and Barbara are invited to a reception given by the Prince Regent in his honor.
3. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
(a) Listen to complaints about English treatment of the new liberated citizens of Le Havre.
(b) Set up a spy network and infiltrate nearby towns.
(c) Inspect the French troops every morning.
(d) Plan and liberate other French ports.
4. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
(a) He thinks England is sending the wrong person.
(b) He hates pomp and circumstance and protocol.
(c) He meets the VIP before and isn't impressed.
(d) He doesn't want the VIP to interfere with how he is running things in Le Havre.
5. Who does Hornblower have on board the Porta Coeli?
(a) General Blücher.
(b) The mutineers from the Flame.
(c) Duke d'Angoulême.
(d) Local volunteers.
6. Hornblower tries to save Brown by claiming what?
(a) Brown is a prisoner who Hornblower is holding for ransom.
(b) Brown is not in his right mind.
(c) Brown is there due to misguided loyalties and thus should not be held accountable.
(d) Brown is a seaman and following orders.
7. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(b) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
(c) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
(d) Death for all.
8. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
(a) King George III and Queen Charlotte.
(b) Lucien de Ladon and his widowed daughter-in-law.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
9. What does Hornblower end up doing about the mutineers?
(a) He writes to the Admiralty asking for leniency on their behalf.
(b) He asks the Duke d'Angoulême to commute their sentences.
(c) He makes a strong recommendation to the Admiralty to have Chadwick share the mutineers' fate.
(d) He refuses to sign the court martial papers.
10. At the night of Brown's wedding, what does the Comte tell Hornblower?
(a) A rumor that Napoleon is to stand trial for war crimes.
(b) A rumor that Napoleon is exiled to America.
(c) A rumor that Napoleon is dead.
(d) A rumor that Napoleon returns to France.
11. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) An ex-lover.
(b) His ex-governess.
(c) His son's governess.
(d) His wife Barbara's best friend.
12. Who comes to Le Havre on a surprise visit?
(a) Lord St. Vincent.
(b) The Prince Regent.
(c) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
13. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Have him sent back to England.
(b) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
(c) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
(d) Work with him because he is royalty.
14. At the Duke's banquet and reception, what does Hornblower do that ruins the night for his wife?
(a) Criticizes her for her appearance.
(b) Tells her at the worst possible time that Captain Bush is dead.
(c) Shows up late and almost misses the reception line.
(d) Argues with her about the state of the war.
15. In opposing Napoleon, what do the Comte and his followers become?
(a) Fugitives fighting a guerilla action.
(b) The essential southern offensive.
(c) The best spy network in France.
(d) Recruiters training a new army of resistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
2. Who is the Duke d'Angoulême's wife?
3. Who does Brown propose to marry?
4. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
5. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)