|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
(a) Lebrun provides some additional information that saves the day.
(b) The Duke's advisors intervenes and works things out.
(c) The Mayor of Le Havre intervenes and works things out.
(d) Hornblower relents, but remembers this day.
2. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
3. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
(a) Amicus curiae.
(b) President of the newly formed Le Havre trading delegation.
4. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
(a) A gossip column piece, insinuating his wife is having an affair.
(b) Napoleon is assembling troops to attack Leipzig.
(c) An account of his actions with the Flame.
(d) Lieutenant Chadwick is exiled to Jamaica.
5. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
(a) Declare the town for King Louis.
(b) Pay ransom for his town.
(c) Help set a trap for Bonaparte.
(d) Quit and leave town.
6. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
(a) At Nevers in a small warehouse.
(b) Just outside Rouens in a small church.
(c) By a river that is uncrossable.
(d) Near a rock outcropping just outside Nevers.
7. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
(a) A French citizen gives Hornblower an eye-witness account of a massacre.
(b) Captain Bush comes back with what's left of the attack force.
(c) A deserter is caught and says the attackers are wiped out.
(d) Hornblower is woken up in the middle of the night and told of a huge explosion.
8. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
(a) She only marries him because her brother tells her to.
(b) She is in love with someone else.
(c) She enjoys being part of the political scene and the privileged crowd.
(d) She is pregnant.
9. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
(a) Fortify the town for a long siege.
(b) Send Lebrun over to negotiate.
(c) Have soldiers board barges to attack the French.
(d) Send for reinforcements from England.
10. What type of reception does Hornblower receive when he arrives at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) Cold and suspicious.
(b) Warm and welcoming.
(c) He is turned away because the Comte already has guests.
(d) The Chateau is closed, no one is there.
11. Where does Hornblower send the Porta Coeli as part of his plan for the militia?
(a) Upriver from Le Havre to a place called Caudebec.
(b) Back to England for reinforcements.
(c) To Spain to deliver a message to General Blücher.
(d) Up the Seine River further into France.
12. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
(a) He doesn't want the VIP to interfere with how he is running things in Le Havre.
(b) He meets the VIP before and isn't impressed.
(c) He hates pomp and circumstance and protocol.
(d) He thinks England is sending the wrong person.
13. What does Hornblower think about his duties at Le Havre?
(a) As always, he likes the adminstrative work.
(b) He is a man of action and doesn't like being behind a desk.
(c) He hopes that Barbara is proud of him.
(d) He is glad he doesn't have to be at sea.
14. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Have him sent back to England.
(b) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
(c) Work with him because he is royalty.
(d) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
15. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
(a) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of the King.
(b) Nevers is neutral territory.
(c) Hornblower has to go to Vienna to represent the Duke and Duchess and Nevers.
(d) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of Napoleon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news arrives to make Hornblower's plan for the militia an almost guaranteed success?
2. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
3. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
4. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
5. What does Hornblower think of the judgment for the mutineers?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)