|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower think about his duties at Le Havre?
(a) He is a man of action and doesn't like being behind a desk.
(b) He hopes that Barbara is proud of him.
(c) As always, he likes the adminstrative work.
(d) He is glad he doesn't have to be at sea.
2. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
(a) Captain Bush comes back with what's left of the attack force.
(b) Hornblower is woken up in the middle of the night and told of a huge explosion.
(c) A French citizen gives Hornblower an eye-witness account of a massacre.
(d) A deserter is caught and says the attackers are wiped out.
3. What does the local magistrate tell Hornblower after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
(a) He is free to go.
(b) He is found guilty of treason.
(c) He is found guilty of capital war crimes.
(d) Napoleon is prepared to deal generously if he cooperates.
4. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
(a) Bonaparte suffers a major setback at Soissons.
(b) The Duke of Wellington is suffering from gout and has to postpone a planned attack.
(c) Napoleon is in secret talks with the Americans.
(d) Prime Minister Pitt is considering conscription.
5. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
(b) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
(c) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
(d) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
6. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
(a) He leaves for Rome.
(b) He leaves for England.
(c) He leaves for Vienna.
(d) He leaves the Chateau and go to Nevers.
7. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
(a) Help set a trap for Bonaparte.
(b) Quit and leave town.
(c) Pay ransom for his town.
(d) Declare the town for King Louis.
8. Why does Hornblower find the visit by the French royal sent to Le Havre annoying?
(a) He hates pomp and circumstance and protocol.
(b) He doesn't want the VIP to interfere with how he is running things in Le Havre.
(c) He meets the VIP before and isn't impressed.
(d) He thinks England is sending the wrong person.
9. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
(b) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
(c) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
(d) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
10. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
(a) She only marries him because her brother tells her to.
(b) She is in love with someone else.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She enjoys being part of the political scene and the privileged crowd.
11. What is surprising about the city of Nevers?
(a) It is deserted.
(b) It is flying the white Bourbon flag.
(c) It is overrun by the Bonapartists.
(d) It is suffering from the plaque.
12. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
13. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
(a) Lucien de Ladon and his widowed daughter-in-law.
(b) King George III and Queen Charlotte.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
14. What else does Brown tell Hornblower he plans to do?
(a) Join the Porta Coeli crew and become Captain Freeman's servant.
(b) Use his saved prize money and settle down in Rome.
(c) Go to America and seek his fortune.
(d) Open an inn in Paris.
15. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
(b) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
(c) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
(d) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Duke's banquet and reception, what does Hornblower do that ruins the night for his wife?
2. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
3. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
4. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
5. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)