|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
(a) A gossip column piece, insinuating his wife is having an affair.
(b) Napoleon is assembling troops to attack Leipzig.
(c) An account of his actions with the Flame.
(d) Lieutenant Chadwick is exiled to Jamaica.
2. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
(a) He leaves for England.
(b) He leaves the Chateau and go to Nevers.
(c) He leaves for Vienna.
(d) He leaves for Rome.
3. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
(b) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
(c) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
(d) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
4. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
(a) Lucien de Ladon and his widowed daughter-in-law.
(b) King George III and Queen Charlotte.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
5. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Marie is shot in the leg.
(b) Brown is killed.
(c) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
(d) Hornblower surrenders.
6. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
(a) He is free to go.
(b) He is found guilty of capital war crimes.
(c) Napoleon is prepared to deal generously if he cooperates.
(d) He is found guilty of treason.
7. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
(a) Nevers is neutral territory.
(b) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of the King.
(c) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of Napoleon.
(d) Hornblower has to go to Vienna to represent the Duke and Duchess and Nevers.
8. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
(a) Amicus curiae.
(b) President of the newly formed Le Havre trading delegation.
9. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
(a) Baron Momas.
(b) An older officer by the name of Haus.
(c) A Midshipman from the Admiralty.
10. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
(b) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
(c) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
(d) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
11. Brown has plans of his own in France. What does he tell Hornblower?
(a) He is going to go to Vienna and join Barbara and her maid.
(b) He is going to marry a local girl.
(c) He is going to travel Europe now that the war is over.
(d) He is going to buy a farm.
12. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
(b) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
(c) No one, he leaves alone.
13. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
(b) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
(c) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
(d) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
14. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
(a) Sets off with Brown to try and draw off the surrounding soldiers.
(b) Sets off on his own to scout the terrain.
(c) Surrenders to the surrounding soldiers on condition that the others are allowed to go free.
(d) Gathers and dismisses what is left of the Comte's forces.
15. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
(a) His troops is recalled.
(b) Napoleon is sending troops to Le Havre.
(c) England is sending more reinforcements.
(d) Wellington wants to give Hornblower a medal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
2. What does Hornblower think of the judgment for the mutineers?
3. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
4. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
5. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)