|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
(a) He is captured.
(b) He has to fight a duel.
(c) He meets with no resistance.
(d) He has to retreat due to superior force.
2. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
(a) He goes berserk and kills a number of the enemy before being subdued.
(b) He surrenders on condition that Marie be given a decent burial.
(c) He escapes with the Comte and Brown.
(d) He is hit with a rifle butt and captured.
3. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
(a) Go to Le Havre to find Captain Freeman.
(b) Stay in France with the Comte de Graçay to lead the local resistance.
(c) Go to Vienna to find Barbara.
(d) Go back to Rouen to find his services to the Duke.
4. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
(b) Hornblower surrenders.
(c) Brown is killed.
(d) Marie is shot in the leg.
5. Who does Hornblower have on board the Porta Coeli?
(a) The mutineers from the Flame.
(b) Duke d'Angoulême.
(c) General Blücher.
(d) Local volunteers.
6. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) The Prince Regent.
(b) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
(c) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
(d) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
7. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
(a) Fortify the town for a long siege.
(b) Send for reinforcements from England.
(c) Have soldiers board barges to attack the French.
(d) Send Lebrun over to negotiate.
8. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
(a) She refuses to sleep with Hornblower.
(b) She accepts the role of unofficial hostess for England at the Congress.
(c) She refuses to stay in Le Havre and leaves for England.
(d) She asks her brother to commend Hornblower to the Prince Regent.
9. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
(a) Lieutenant-General of the King in the Nivernais.
(b) Military advisor to the Duke.
(c) General of the Royalist army.
(d) Mayor of Nevers.
10. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
(a) As long as Napoleon lives, the war is never going to end.
(b) He thinks Chadwick should be punished more severely.
(c) He can't believe Barbara cheats on him.
(d) He doesn't think his actions merit comparisons with his hero Lord Nelson.
11. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
(b) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
(c) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
(d) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
12. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
(a) Pay ransom for his town.
(b) Quit and leave town.
(c) Help set a trap for Bonaparte.
(d) Declare the town for King Louis.
13. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) No one, he leaves alone.
(c) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
(d) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
14. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
(a) They are on leave.
(b) To bolster the defenses.
(c) They are retreating from the front.
(d) They are on their way to the front.
15. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
(a) Hornblower relents, but remembers this day.
(b) The Mayor of Le Havre intervenes and works things out.
(c) The Duke's advisors intervenes and works things out.
(d) Lebrun provides some additional information that saves the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower think of the judgment for the mutineers?
2. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
3. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
4. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
5. What is Hornblower afraid of when he hears Dobbs' news?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)