|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hornblower go first with his royal guest?
(a) To church.
(b) To the Governor's mansion.
(c) To visit with the Mayor.
(d) To the town hall for a reception.
2. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(b) Makes a last stand in Paris.
(c) Commits suicide.
3. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
(a) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
(b) The Duke of Wellington.
(c) Queen Charlotte.
(d) The Prince Regent.
4. Hornblower tries to save Brown by claiming what?
(a) Brown is there due to misguided loyalties and thus should not be held accountable.
(b) Brown is a seaman and following orders.
(c) Brown is not in his right mind.
(d) Brown is a prisoner who Hornblower is holding for ransom.
5. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His widowed daughter-in-law.
(d) His sister-in-law.
6. Why is Hornblower not happy and is awkward with his wife when she visits him at Le Havre?
(a) She keeps trying to get him to retire and go back to England.
(b) He is on active duty and is not comfortable having his wife around.
(c) He thinks she is having an affair.
(d) She is embarrassing him by singing his praises to everyone.
7. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
(a) They are on leave.
(b) They are retreating from the front.
(c) To bolster the defenses.
(d) They are on their way to the front.
8. Where does the attack force go to meet Napoleon's troops?
(a) Upriver from Le Havre, near a place called Caudebec.
(b) Downriver from Le Havre, near a place called Honfleur.
(c) To the harbor.
(d) To Harfleur, a small town outside of Le Havre.
9. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
(a) To officially recognize Le Havre's liberation.
(b) To give Hornblower a medal.
(c) The royal is on tour.
(d) It is an excuse to get the royal out of England.
10. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
(a) Plan and liberate other French ports.
(b) Listen to complaints about English treatment of the new liberated citizens of Le Havre.
(c) Set up a spy network and infiltrate nearby towns.
(d) Inspect the French troops every morning.
11. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) No one.
(d) Captain Bush and Brown.
12. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
(a) Declare the town for King Louis.
(b) Pay ransom for his town.
(c) Help set a trap for Bonaparte.
(d) Quit and leave town.
13. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
(a) The Duke of Wellington.
(b) Lucien de Ladon and his widowed daughter-in-law.
(c) King George III and Queen Charlotte.
(d) The Prince Regent.
14. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
(b) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
15. What type of reception does Hornblower receive when he arrives at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) Warm and welcoming.
(b) Cold and suspicious.
(c) He is turned away because the Comte already has guests.
(d) The Chateau is closed, no one is there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
2. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
3. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
4. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
5. What does the local magistrate tell Hornblower after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)