|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
(a) He is captured.
(b) He meets with no resistance.
(c) He has to fight a duel.
(d) He has to retreat due to superior force.
2. What famous personage is Hornblower's wife related to?
(a) The Duke of Wellington.
(b) The Duchess Marie Thérèse.
(c) Queen Charlotte.
(d) The Prince Regent.
3. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
(a) Attack the nearby city of Honfleur.
(b) Ready them for orders from Wellington.
(c) Advance on the city of Rouen.
(d) Send them back to England.
4. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
(a) His mother.
(b) His widowed daughter-in-law.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) His wife.
5. What else does Brown tell Hornblower he plans to do?
(a) Use his saved prize money and settle down in Rome.
(b) Join the Porta Coeli crew and become Captain Freeman's servant.
(c) Open an inn in Paris.
(d) Go to America and seek his fortune.
6. Who is the VIP soon to arrive at Le Havre?
(a) A French nobleman, the Comte d'Artois.
(b) A French princess, Thérèse Marie.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) A French prince, the Duke d'Angoulême.
7. Where does Hornblower send the Porta Coeli as part of his plan for the militia?
(a) Upriver from Le Havre to a place called Caudebec.
(b) To Spain to deliver a message to General Blücher.
(c) Back to England for reinforcements.
(d) Up the Seine River further into France.
8. What position does Hornblower assume at Le Havre after the surrender of the town?
(b) Amicus curiae.
(d) President of the newly formed Le Havre trading delegation.
9. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
(a) To give Hornblower a medal.
(b) It is an excuse to get the royal out of England.
(c) The royal is on tour.
(d) To officially recognize Le Havre's liberation.
10. What does the Duchess Marie Thérèse tell Hornblower about Nevers and their reaction to Napoleon coming into power again?
(a) Hornblower has to go to Vienna to represent the Duke and Duchess and Nevers.
(b) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of the King.
(c) Large regions of Southern France declare in support of Napoleon.
(d) Nevers is neutral territory.
11. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
(b) Have him sent back to England.
(c) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
(d) Work with him because he is royalty.
12. Who is still with Hornblower when the French troops catch up with them?
(a) Brown, the Comte de Graçay, and Marie.
(b) The Comte de Graçay and Marie, Brown and Annette.
(c) Just Brown.
(d) Just the Comte de Graçay.
13. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
(a) He is a spy who Hornblower has dealings with before.
(b) He is a friend who shelters Hornblower when he is a fugitive.
(c) He is a good friend of Lord St. Vincent.
(d) He is a prisoner Hornblower captures then ransoms.
14. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(b) Makes a last stand in Paris.
(d) Commits suicide.
15. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
(a) His ex-governess.
(b) His wife Barbara's best friend.
(c) An ex-lover.
(d) His son's governess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the force to attack the troops Napoleon is sending to take back Le Havre?
2. At the royal banquet, what does Hornblower realize about his wife?
3. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
4. Where does the attack force go to meet Napoleon's troops?
5. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)