|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
(a) Brown defies Hornblower's orders and leaves with Annette.
(b) She stays with Brown, refusing to leave her new husband.
(c) She tries to cross the river and drowns.
(d) Hornblower makes her leave with the others to save her life.
2. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
(a) He leaves the Chateau and go to Nevers.
(b) He leaves for Vienna.
(c) He leaves for Rome.
(d) He leaves for England.
3. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
(a) Hornblower surrenders.
(b) Marie is shot in the leg.
(c) Brown is killed.
(d) Hornblower is shot in the leg.
4. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
(a) An assassination attempt on the Prince Regent's life is thwarted.
(b) Napoleon regains his power.
(c) Barbara is having an affair.
(d) Napoleon is poisoned but survives.
5. In opposing Napoleon, what do the Comte and his followers become?
(a) Fugitives fighting a guerilla action.
(b) The best spy network in France.
(c) The essential southern offensive.
(d) Recruiters training a new army of resistance.
6. Where does Hornblower go first with his royal guest?
(a) To visit with the Mayor.
(b) To the Governor's mansion.
(c) To church.
(d) To the town hall for a reception.
7. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
(a) He sends assassins to take care of the ringleaders.
(b) He sends forces to destroy them.
(c) He sends operatives to infiltrate their group.
(d) He sends representatives to negotiate their surrender.
8. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
(a) He is a prisoner Hornblower captures then ransoms.
(b) He is a spy who Hornblower has dealings with before.
(c) He is a friend who shelters Hornblower when he is a fugitive.
(d) He is a good friend of Lord St. Vincent.
9. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister-in-law.
(c) His mother.
(d) His widowed daughter-in-law.
10. What is the news from the war front (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) General Blücher captures Paris.
(b) Napoleon is marching back to Rouen.
(c) Wellington lostes an engagement to the French.
(d) The Admiralty abandones the blockade.
11. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
(a) Clemency for all who are deserted.
(b) Death for all.
(c) Transportation to a penal colony if they don't give themselves up.
(d) Imprisonment if they don't give themselves up.
12. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
(a) Boards the Porta Coeli and sails to Paris.
(b) Returns to England.
(c) Stays in Rouen.
(d) Stays in Le Havre.
13. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
(a) Plan and liberate other French ports.
(b) Set up a spy network and infiltrate nearby towns.
(c) Listen to complaints about English treatment of the new liberated citizens of Le Havre.
(d) Inspect the French troops every morning.
14. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
(a) He is killed when a powder store explodes.
(b) He is killed during the attack by friendly fire.
(c) He is blinded by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion.
(d) He is severely wounded by a French soldier and has to have his leg amputated.
15. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) Makes a last stand in Paris.
(c) Commits suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
2. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
3. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
4. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
5. Where does the attack force go to meet Napoleon's troops?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)