|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower end up doing about the mutineers?
(a) He writes to the Admiralty asking for leniency on their behalf.
(b) He asks the Duke d'Angoulême to commute their sentences.
(c) He refuses to sign the court martial papers.
(d) He makes a strong recommendation to the Admiralty to have Chadwick share the mutineers' fate.
2. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
(a) Inspect the French troops every morning.
(b) Plan and liberate other French ports.
(c) Listen to complaints about English treatment of the new liberated citizens of Le Havre.
(d) Set up a spy network and infiltrate nearby towns.
3. What is the news from the war front (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(a) Napoleon is marching back to Rouen.
(b) Wellington lostes an engagement to the French.
(c) The Admiralty abandones the blockade.
(d) General Blücher captures Paris.
4. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
(a) Help set a trap for Bonaparte.
(b) Quit and leave town.
(c) Declare the town for King Louis.
(d) Pay ransom for his town.
5. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
(c) Commits suicide.
(d) Makes a last stand in Paris.
6. What is surprising about the city of Nevers?
(a) It is overrun by the Bonapartists.
(b) It is deserted.
(c) It is suffering from the plaque.
(d) It is flying the white Bourbon flag.
7. Who else comes to Le Havre that is even more surprising to Hornblower?
(a) His wife Barbara's personal maid.
(b) Lord St. Vincent.
(c) His wife Barbara.
(d) His first Captain on the Indefatigable.
8. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
(a) No one, he leaves alone.
(b) Vicomtesse de Graçay.
(d) The Comte de Graçay, Vicomtesse de Graçay, Brown, Annette.
9. What news does Colonel Dobbs pass onto Hornblower during the visit by the French royal at Le Havre?
(a) His troops is recalled.
(b) Wellington wants to give Hornblower a medal.
(c) Napoleon is sending troops to Le Havre.
(d) England is sending more reinforcements.
10. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) Captain Bush and Brown.
(c) No one.
11. What does Hornblower think of Brown's plans?
(a) Hornblower thinks Brown is crazy to leave England.
(b) Hornblower is upset that Brown is quitting.
(c) Hornblower is happy for him.
(d) Hornblower thinks Brown should wait, as France is still too unsettled.
12. Why is Hornblower upset by the English newspaper article?
(a) As long as Napoleon lives, the war is never going to end.
(b) He thinks Chadwick should be punished more severely.
(c) He can't believe Barbara cheats on him.
(d) He doesn't think his actions merit comparisons with his hero Lord Nelson.
13. What type of reception does Hornblower receive when he arrives at the Chateau de Graçay?
(a) The Chateau is closed, no one is there.
(b) Cold and suspicious.
(c) He is turned away because the Comte already has guests.
(d) Warm and welcoming.
14. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
(a) Napoleon regains his power.
(b) Barbara is having an affair.
(c) Napoleon is poisoned but survives.
(d) An assassination attempt on the Prince Regent's life is thwarted.
15. What does Hornblower think of the judgment for the mutineers?
(a) It is justice.
(b) He wishes the ringleader can stand trial.
(c) He doesn't like it but he isn't going to intervene.
(d) It is too harsh.
Short Answer Questions
1. In opposing Napoleon, what do the Comte and his followers become?
2. What does Hornblower have to do with the mutineers who aren't pardoned?
3. How does Marie die?
4. What is the date that Hornblower notes is the final day of the insurgent effort?
5. Where does the attack force go to meet Napoleon's troops?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)